This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel the same way. I think it's hilarious/depressing that women are "supposed to" wear suits that deemphasize their femininity but then are expected to wear makeup to look professional. I wear very little makeup on a daily basis (just concealer and maybe mascara) and generally don't like putting makeup on my skin because it makes me breakout. I compromised for interviews with a light powder foundation (which doesn't do much but evens my skin a little and does ~something~ to give the impression that I put in "effort") and blush. But I completely agree and say that if you don't want to wear foundation and it would make you feel uncomfortable and ingenuine then 100% don't! I'm no adcom but I've seen a big range at interviews and I've never thought an applicant looked unprofessional due to a lack of foundation, if anything I've thought it when they don't look comfortable in whatever they've chosen to wear (on their face, on their body, the style of their hair, etc). Do whatever works for you!
Okay, that is how I am feeling.. I will definitely wear a little mascara and maybe some blush, but I think foundation would make me feel uncomfortable. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The difference is if you wear a suit when you've never worn one before, it still looks like a suit, but if you try to apply professional-looking makeup when you have never done it before, it will probs not look like professional makeup. :unsure:

I mean, I remember thinking "I am so totally good at this, my makeup is so natural" in middle school as I applied thick black eyeliner to my lower lashline... natural-looking makeup application is an acquired skill :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not wear makeup if you unaccustomed to doing so. This is no time to start experimenting.
On the other hand, do wear a suit, even if you have never worn one before.

I'd clarify that novices should probably not wear foundation. But lip tint, a touch of blush and mascara are easy for beginners and will be enough to give you the professional polish you need. Always err on the side of "too little" rather than "too much" --

Just for clarification, I only suggested foundation to this poster specifically because of her possible fears/questions about covering the large scar on her face and only suggested it or the scar covering kind if she felt uncomfortable leaving it exposed, NOT for the typical novice! :) I agree with you guys that messing with make-up before an interview can be a big mistake, I was trying to say that if the scar was a huge point of discomfort, learning or practicing (Even if not used for that particular interview) may be helpful. I guess the moral of my story got lost in translation lol.

Suit : yes
Make up: It depends :laugh:
:highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Just for clarification, I only suggested foundation to this poster specifically because of her possible fears/questions about covering the large scar on her face and only suggested it or the scar covering kind if she felt uncomfortable leaving it exposed, NOT for the typical novice! :) I agree with you guys that messing with make-up before an interview can be a big mistake, I was trying to say that if the scar was a huge point of discomfort, learning or practicing (Even if not used for that particular interview) may be helpful. I guess the moral of my story got lost in translation lol.

Suit : yes
Make up: It depends :laugh:
:highfive:

I definitely agree with @Noxy , with one caveat: if the interview is coming up very soon (the next couple of weeks, say), I personally wouldn't spend time perfecting concealer application, since I think it would make me more nervous if I were in that position. However, if the interviewee has some time and thinks it's really going to give them a confidence boost, I'm with the previous posters who suggested makeup counters, even if all they do is get someone to help them match their skin tone.

Unfortunately no. The red is very red, so not professional. And the black would not be the same black as your jacket, so not a suit. Plus, the ruffles would bunch up under jacket and look awkward.

I need some help deciding in shoes. I'm wearing a navy blue suit and white blouse. The first photo has 3 navy blue shoes and I am pretty sure the lower left ones are a no no.
Then one the second pic I chose burgundy for the shoes and handbag.
Could anyone tell me which pair of shoes would be the most appropriate and would match best?
Is the hangbag appropriate also?

Attachments

• IMG_20161122_195149.jpg
    IMG_20161122_195149.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20161122_200436.jpg
    IMG_20161122_200436.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 254
I need some help deciding in shoes. I'm wearing a navy blue suit and white blouse. The first photo has 3 navy blue shoes and I am pretty sure the lower left ones are a no no.
Then one the second pic I chose burgundy for the shoes and handbag.
Could anyone tell me which pair of shoes would be the most appropriate and would match best?
Is the hangbag appropriate also?

ALL of those navy shoes are wrong, so not those. The burgundy are appropriate and can work with a navy or grey suit --

I gotta say....I admire the **** out of women. You guys gotta put up with so much bullcrap to please society. I mean ffs, interviews are already stressful as sh1t as it is (I'm a guy). I can't imagine waking up interview day and trying to calm my nerves / deal with that stress / prepare.........all while ensuring there is enough time for make-up as well!

like, what? theres only 24 hrs in a day m8. do women just fore-go sleep? It shouldn't be like this. No make-up should be the norm / standard for professional appearance. fking unfair

I gotta say....I admire the **** out of women. You guys gotta put up with so much bullcrap to please society. I mean ffs, interviews are already stressful as sh1t as it is (I'm a guy). I can't imagine waking up interview day and trying to calm my nerves / deal with that stress / prepare.........all while ensuring there is enough time for make-up as well!

like, what? theres only 24 hrs in a day m8. do women just fore-go sleep? It shouldn't be like this. No make-up should be the norm / standard for professional appearance. fking unfair

Thank you @dogfood123 ! You're right -- and it's rare for a guy to get it. But I don't see it changing any time soon. Just consider the kinds of things that are so often said about women with no make-up and sensible shoes...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am really struggling to find an appropriate top for under my suit (charcoal pantsuit) and would love some help! I've already looked online and in person at many of the recommended stores.

If someone could post some appropriate tops, preferably under $50, I'd really appreciate it. I have trouble with button-downs because I have a very small chest, and I'd prefer something with sleeves so I don't have to keep the suit jacket on the whole day (of course I'll keep it on during the interview).

I am really struggling to find an appropriate top for under my suit (charcoal pantsuit) and would love some help! I've already looked online and in person at many of the recommended stores.

If someone could post some appropriate tops, preferably under $50, I'd really appreciate it. I have trouble with button-downs because I have a very small chest, and I'd prefer something with sleeves so I don't have to keep the suit jacket on the whole day (of course I'll keep it on during the interview).

I am no ADCOM so take my suggestions with a huge grain of salt.

http://www.loft.com/ruffle-trim-mix...olor=8507&colorExplode=false&catid=catl000011

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/product/women-drape-boat-neck-long-sleeve-t-blouse-189893.html

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/product/women-rayon-long-sleeve-t-blouse-173275.html

http://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/cece-...gory-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=PLUSH PLUM

Also if anyone is looking for a suit, Ann Taylor is having a 50% off sale for black friday. If I wasn't so far out from applying I'd most definitely buy the dress suit combo I've been eyeing for some time now.

Sorry about the blanks... I'd suggest a simple pink blouse -- something silky and feminine with soft pleats, not ruffles.

Amazon product

This is so helpful, thank you! I didn't even think to look at uniqlo and I just ordered from them. It was so nice of you to take the time to put this together!

No problem! I always find myself doing a lot of online window shopping during big sales, so I figured I'd put that to some good use :nod:

Wow reading this thread has me nervous that I picked the wrong outfit. Can I get some feedback?

1) I bought this suit and pants combo on Black Friday but the bottoms fit me tighter than the model. I don't think they are too tight, but I definitely am pear shaped so my thighs fill out the legs more. Would this still be appropriate? : http://www.express.com/clothing/women/piped-tweed-blazer/pro/6744628/cat2430022

2) I was going to wear a patterned dark blue turtle neck top, but rules on the first page says prints are unprofessional. Would this be true even if it is a small overall print so it looks more blurred and solid from far away? Also are turtle necks appropriate?

Last edited:
Thoughts on this bag paired with a navy skirt suit and matte black pumps? It's a matte black bag that I recently received as a gift and it's the best bag I've ever owned, but wasn't sure if the faux croc print was too flashy for interviews.
ImageUploadedBySDN1480374792.730468.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wow reading this thread has me nervous that I picked the wrong outfit. Can I get some feedback?

1) I bought this suit and pants combo on Black Friday but the bottoms fit me tighter than the model. I don't think they are too tight, but I definitely am pear shaped so my thighs fill out the legs more. Would this still be appropriate? : http://www.express.com/clothing/women/piped-tweed-blazer/pro/6744628/cat2430022

2) I was going to wear a patterned dark blue turtle neck top, but rules on the first page says prints are unprofessional. Would this be true even if it is a small overall print so it looks more blurred and solid from far away? Also are turtle necks appropriate?

If the pants fit you tighter than the ones on the model, I'd suggest exchanging them for the next size up. I purchased my pants from Zara, which also offers slimmer cut suits, and decided to size up in the pants to give them a slightly more conservative look. Mostly, this gave me peace of mind on interview day as I wasn't worrying about whether my pants looked professional or not.

Do not wear makeup if you unaccustomed to doing so. This is no time to start experimenting.
On the other hand, do wear a suit, even if you have never worn one before.

I have read that not wearing make up makes one appear more childish. But I am worried that I may be wearing too much makeup so I am not sure what to do.

I have read that not wearing make up makes one appear more childish. But I am worried that I may be wearing too much makeup so I am not sure what to do.

Do you have anyone you could ask? Far better to err on the side of too little than too much. If your make-up is club appropriate, it's not interview appropriate.

Areas where it's easy to overdo: foundation, eyeliner, sparkly eye shadow, dark lips.

Would you all recommend wearing nail polish?
Clear nail polish makes your nails seem healthy but that is all I would personally wear. I was advised against colored polish when prepping for interviews at my undergrad.

Would you all recommend wearing nail polish?

I did a sheer pale pink. Just enough coverage to sort of mask/mute any dirt that may have gotten under my nails in-between leaving the hotel room and the interview!

Reactions: 4 users

As others have said, you might consider purchasing the pants the next size up. Work appropriate trousers should not be form fitting.

Can you post a picture of your top? Typically "turtlenecks" are considered casual wear and prints are usually too distracting. With the tweedy appearance of your suit, it ay be too much.

As we move into the second half of the interview season, I would like to address a few aberrancies I have seen so far.

1. A suit is required. It has a jacket and either trousers or a skirt made of the same fabric. A shift and matching jacket are also acceptable. A sweater is not a jacket. A shawl is not a jacket. Tights are not trousers! Neoprene is not a component of a business professional suit.
2. It is common not to wear hose in California. Wear them anyway in this circumstance.
3. If you have multiple piercings, remove all but two of them (earlobes).
4. If a significant portion of your scalp is shaved, put off your interview until you can fashion the remaining hair into something that covers this area.
5. Animal is not business professional.
6. Eyeliner should not make a statement. Jewel tones, in particular are not acceptable.
7. A skort is not a skirt.
8. Earrings should not dangle.
9. We should not know the color of your pedicure.
10. We should not know if your umbilicus is pierced.
11. We should not know whose name is tattooed over your left breast.

In summary, your appearance should not be how we describe you ("tights girl," animal woman...)

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Sorry for repeating myself but I didn't get any answers, thoughts on this bag?
ImageUploadedBySDN1481158135.401835.jpg

As we move into the second half of the interview season, I would like to address a few aberrancies I have seen so far.

1. A suit is required. It has a jacket and either trousers or a skirt made of the same fabric. A shift and matching jacket are also acceptable. A sweater is not a jacket. A shawl is not a jacket. Tights are not trousers! Neoprene is not a component of a business professional suit.
2. It is common not to wear hose in California. Wear them anyway in this circumstance.
4. If a significant portion of your scalp is shaved, put off your interview until you can fashion the remaining hair into something that covers this area.
6. Eyeliner should not make a statement. Jewel tones, in particular are not acceptable.

In summary, your appearance should not be how we describe you ("tights girl," animal woman...)
#5 is my favorite, but 10&11 are epic :inpain:

Are there any types of pantyhose that are for colder weather? Or do we have to stick with the really thin/sheer ones? (California resident here trying not to freeze for non-California winter interviews)

ImageUploadedBySDN1481159722.779997.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1481159754.940682.jpg

I saw basically the "slacks" version of these images at a recent interview.

Of all the inappropriate Interview clothing I've seen, this one actually made me very uncomfortable. And it wasn't a suit either, it was paired with a cropped fashion blazer. So the waist and hip section was very visible.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1481159741.051635.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1481159741.051635.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: 3 users
View attachment 211715 View attachment 211717

Of all the inappropriate Interview clothing I've seen, this one actually made me very uncomfortable. And it wasn't a suit either, it was paired with a cropped fashion blazer. So the waist and hip section was very visible.
I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't already seen it myself...

View attachment 211715 View attachment 211717

I'm very interested in what sentence you had to google to find those images.

I'm very interested in what sentence you had to google to find those images.

"Slacks that are too small/tight"

It was surprisingly easy lol. There are actually quite a few websites dedicated to professional dress for women with "This, NOT This" images.

Haha did you always know what a skort was or did you have to google it after they left?

The fact that apparently brilliant women, who had done so much to prepare for this moment, actually showed up like this, still mystifies me...

Smh what a waste of a good MCAT score

Is this a CA thing, or something else that your school attracts the demented????

The fact that apparently brilliant women, who had done so much to prepare for this moment, actually showed up like this, still mystifies me...

I have a friend who considers leopard print to be "a neutral" -- seriously. You know - because it goes with everything... :oops::rolleyes:o_O

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry for repeating myself but I didn't get any answers, thoughts on this bag? View attachment 211714

It's fine. Not what I'd buy specifically for an interview, if you're still shopping. But not problematic enough to keep you out of med school. In a plain leather (not croco print) it'd be more suitable.

It's fine. Not what I'd buy specifically for an interview, if you're still shopping. But not problematic enough to keep you out of med school. In a plain leather (not croco print) it'd be more suitable.

Thanks! It was a gift. I thought I was done with interview season but I just got two more IIs after giving away the other bag I was using for interviews.