Work as a Diener!? Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1i

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been volunteering in a pathology lab at a local hospital. They had a recent position open up for a Diener in the morgue and I’ve been encouraged to apply. I would be assisting Pathologists and residents in the morgue. The persons whose job I would be taking ( leaving for med school, which is a good sign) said it was pretty hands on. But I’m sort of torn because I have also been encouraged to apply as a TA for the microbiology lab at my university (far less of a time commitment). And I still need letters of rec from professors (which could easily be obtained through TAing) I’m also concerned about the time constraint of working the more time demanding job of the Diener and how it would affect my GPA. Also haven’t been down to morgue, so I really don’t know what it would be like. Was curious if this is a good opportunity? And if I’m foolish for passing it up. Would it look really good/unique on an application, worth risking the GPA for!?!?

Was curious how an adcom would view this job on an application.

Thank you!

P.S I’m a non traditional student who has plenty of experience in the workforce, non clinical. So I wouldn’t be taking the job to fulfill any sort of ‘work quota’. I’d take the job solely on its clinical value if any.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been volunteering in a pathology lab at a local hospital. They had a recent position open up for a Diener in the morgue and I’ve been encouraged to apply. I would be assisting Pathologists and residents in the morgue. The persons whose job I would be taking ( leaving for med school, which is a good sign) said it was pretty hands on. But I’m sort of torn because I have also been encouraged to apply as a TA for the microbiology lab at my university (far less of a time commitment). And I still need letters of rec from professors (which could easily be obtained through TAing) I’m also concerned about the time constraint of working the more time demanding job of the Diener and how it would affect my GPA. Also haven’t been down to morgue, so I really don’t know what it would be like. Was curious if this is a good opportunity? And if I’m foolish for passing it up. Would it look really good/unique on an application, worth risking the GPA for!?!?

Thank you!

P.S I’m a non traditional student who has plenty of experience in the workforce, non clinical. So I wouldn’t be taking the job to fulfill any sort of ‘work quota’. I’d take the job solely on its clinical value if any.
I can't answer your question but just wanted to add that letters of rec from professors usually means a professor you took a class with for a grade, not one you're just a TA for, although if you took a class and then became their TA that could help make for stronger letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you interested in any of the branches of pathology for your career? If so, this experience in the morgue can be useful, and would actually add to the one in the pathology lab. If you're not interested in pathology, or are unsure, then I don't know how valuable that job would be, since you would not be interacting with live patients. Also, if you're really sure that you would risk your GPA by committing to this job, it may not be a good idea to take it. Do you have the option of taking it and leaving if you don't like it or if it's taking too much of your time?

Members don't see this ad :)
How far are you in your application process? Are you taking a job for pay, do you need the money? Are you interested in pathology? How non-traditional? Just trying to get a better sense.

I can't answer your question but just wanted to add that letters of rec from professors usually means a professor you took a class with for a grade, not one you're just a TA for, although if you took a class and then became their TA that could help make for stronger letters.

Thanks King. The scenario mimics what you stated above. I’m currently her student. And next semester I would potentially be her TA

Are you interested in any of the branches of pathology for your career? If so, this experience in the morgue can be useful, and would actually add to the one in the pathology lab. If you're not interested in pathology, or are unsure, then I don't know how valuable that job would be, since you would not be interacting with live patients. Also, if you're really sure that you would risk your GPA by committing to this job, it may not be a good idea to take it. Do you have the option of taking it and leaving if you don't like it or if it's taking too much of your time?

Not at all interested in pathology. And this is confirmed by my time spent in the lab. But I feel at this point in my education. Given how little I know. I could learn a lot just about anywhere in the hospital. Which is why I agreed volunteer in pathology. And I would prefer not take it and quit. As one, I would lose the opportunity to TA. And two, would burn my bridge with this hospital. I would have left the volunteering ‘department’ for a job that I would be quitting. So I’m not considering that as an option.

How far are you in your application process? Are you taking a job for pay, do you need the money? Are you interested in pathology? How non-traditional? Just trying to get a better sense.

Do not need the job for money. Don’t need the job at all. Again would only be taking it for the learning opportunity. And more specifically the value it may possess on an application.

Not interested in path, like at all.

And I’m pretty non traditional. Took a long time off from school. Spent a lot of time fooling around and then cleaned up and joined the workforce (hospitality and hotel management) And then retuned to school after about a decade long absence. Am about 2 years from applying.

So how much patient contact experience do you have? How about shadowing? How about service to those less fortunate than yourself? It sounds like you really aren’t all that interested in this job opportunity and since you don’t need the job , just do the TA. You’ll have more time to build up your application and work on your grades etc.

So how much patient contact experience do you have? How about shadowing? How about service to those less fortunate than yourself? It sounds like you really aren’t all that interested in this job opportunity and since you don’t need the job , just do the TA. You’ll have more time to build up your application and work on your grades etc.

I have 100+ hours volunteering in pre op, lots of patient contact. And than another 100+ hours in the path lab. Not a lot but I plan on clinical volunteering up until I apply. Also some various volunteering at food banks and with substance abuse organizations. No significant shadowing as of yet. But thank you! For the sake of my gpa and the overall progress of my application I’m leaning more towards the TA position as well.

Reactions: 1 users

Maintaining a high GPA is your #1 priority. No matter how interesting the job (and duties vary widely depending on institution, so it isn't clear at all what you'd be doing), it won't make up for mediocre academics.

Reactions: 2 users
I have 100+ hours volunteering in pre op, lots of patient contact. And than another 100+ hours in the path lab. Not a lot but I plan on clinical volunteering up until I apply. Also some various volunteering at food banks and with substance abuse organizations. No significant shadowing as of yet. But thank you! For the sake of my gpa and the overall progress of my application I’m leaning more towards the TA position as well.

You already have your answer. If you don’t need the money nor not interested in path at all.... I wouldn’t do anything that would jeopardize my grades. If I have someone who has a very unique experience vs good grades. The default will always go with someone who has a proven track record. Of course if you need an income to survive that’s a different discussion.
Of course you can always explain away anything. But I am very risk adverse. The proven way to get into medical school is by having good gpa, good mcat, good lor’s, good clinical/non clinical experiences, then more esoteric things, unique experiences. I would go for this unique job AFTER I am sure I can do other things very well.

Good luck!