Worried about Next Step Full Length score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just took the second next step full length exam, and I received a 504 (126/125/125/128). I'm a little worried here. Do you guys find their exams representative of the actual exam?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should worry about it. The NextStep tutors on here will probably disagree with me on this point, but I find most FLs that were not made by the AAMC to be **** compared to the actual exam. The new MCAT is just too new for them to make representative exams because there have only been so many administrations. So use them as a guide to test your knowledge and get the timing down for the exam and to get good practice, but don't take your score to heart.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I just took the second next step full length exam, and I received a 504 (126/125/125/128). I'm a little worried here. Do you guys find their exams representative of the actual exam?

Thanks
Hi @bme94 ! No one test will be completely predicative, not even the AAMC exams due to inter-exam variability in topics tested and passage style given. When is your test date? How long have you been studying? Have you taken any FL exams prior to this? Without this information no one can tell you what to expect on test day.

Our scoring scales are modeled on AAMC data and released conversions so they will be as close as can be, but each FL exam will be unique to your strengths and weaknesses, no matter the source AAMC or otherwise. The key is consistency in scoring at or near your goal. In my experience with these exams, many students tend to do 2-3 points higher on their real thing compared to their last couple of NextStep practice exams.

Focus on how you are doing, % wise on the AAMC section bank for your best estimate (not including the AAMC full length exams, which you will take near the end of your studies). This section bank IS directly from the source, and will allow you see how you have handled their style, tone and difficulty across a wider ranger of questions than any FL exam could hope to do.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Hi @bme94 ! No one test will be completely predicative, not even the AAMC exams due to inter-exam variability in topics tested and passage style given. When is your test date? How long have you been studying? Have you taken any FL exams prior to this? Without this information no one can tell you what to expect on test day.

Our scoring scales are modeled on AAMC data and released conversions so they will be as close as can be, but each FL exam will be unique to your strengths and weaknesses, no matter the source AAMC or otherwise. The key is consistency in scoring at or near your goal. In my experience with these exams, many students tend to do 2-3 points higher on their real thing compared to their last couple of NextStep practice exams.

Focus on how you are doing, % wise on the AAMC section bank for your best estimate (not including the AAMC full length exams, which you will take near the end of your studies). This section bank IS directly from the source, and will allow you see how you have handled their style, tone and difficulty across a wider ranger of questions than any FL exam could hope to do.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Hi, @NextStepTutor_2, thank you for your reply. I've been studying for a month and a half, and my exam date is in July. I appreciate your information.