Would I be competitive for Anesthesia programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyMoly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just received my USMLE Step 1 score of 219/91, and I was just curious as to whether I would be competitive for anesthesia programs or not. I know this is a multifactorial picture, as I have yet to even begin my 3rd year, but any general ballpark guesses would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I just received my USMLE Step 1 score of 219/91, and I was just curious as to whether I would be competitive for anesthesia programs or not. I know this is a multifactorial picture, as I have yet to even begin my 3rd year, but any general ballpark guesses would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!:)

It's a package deal, etc etc. But your Step 1s are pretty much dead on the median from what I've read for those successfully matching into Anesthesiology.

Agreed -- that Step 1 score should be completely fine for getting a residency somewhere, and (all else being equal) you would get a decent number of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump? How many times do you need to hear that you're fine in terms of step 1? Will it open any doors for you... no. Will it close any... possibly just the UCSF's and JHU's. It is only a small part of the application.

Bump? How many times do you need to hear that you're fine in terms of step 1? Will it open any doors for you... no. Will it close any... possibly just the UCSF's and JHU's. It is only a small part of the application.

The previous poster is correct, some of the top 10 programs may have a "cutoff" below 120 for scores on USMLE.....But they also include many other areas when deciding. You still have step 2, grades, letters, expierence, etc.

What about a Step 1 score of 202 or 206 first time passing? Does that mean that Step 2 needs to be stellar? Even with that score, should a person do an away at UCSF or JHU?

passing the second time? i think failing step one is somewhat of a red flag....but i am just a med student so take what i say with a grain of salt.

No...I passed the first time lol. I was giving two different scores..have a friend who is interested in anesth. also. That's why two scores. A first time fail is like the kiss of death from what I hear

No...I passed the first time lol. I was giving two different scores..have a friend who is interested in anesth. also. That's why two scores. A first time fail is like the kiss of death from what I hear

I would say JHU and UCSF type rotations may be a waste unless your last name is Miller or something equivalent. Study hard for step 2.

I would say JHU and UCSF type rotations may be a waste unless your last name is Miller or something equivalent. Study hard for step 2.

I don't think so. You can still get a stellar rotation out of the mix AND a good letter. Maybe they'll even like your style and you can get your foot in the door for an interview. Crazy eh?

Thanks VENT...just getting really nervous. Not worried once I actually get interviews...thats the easy part for me. It's competing with all the supernerds on paper, who actually have no personality lol;) Any other suggestions of places I should look? UI Chicago?

Thanks VENT...just getting really nervous. Not worried once I actually get interviews...thats the easy part for me. It's competing with all the supernerds on paper, who actually have no personality lol;) Any other suggestions of places I should look? UI Chicago?

A couple of places that I really liked were UW-Madison, U of Chicago, MUSC, UPitt and West Penn. You have to figure out what is most important to you. You can get good training almost anywhere. Some of the big academic name places may not be as resident friendly as you would like, however they may get you into an academic spot after residency. If you just want private practice, then start thinking about a cool city to live in that won't push the 80 hr rule every week.

And get used to being nervous. I was nervous last year at about this time and it increased in intensity all the way to match day. You can't imagine the weight that will be lifted off of your shoulders when you get that "you matched" email." Good luck.

Very good points, thanks Badgas. I've got 2 aways set up right now one @ UCSF, then one @ UC Irvine. Got an offer for Cedars and was thinking about trying to get a spot at UI Chi in January for 2 weeks. Yea this nervousness thing....geezus