Would I Enjoy Being a Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miketheooo

Reaction score

I recently was accepted to a dental school and I estimated my total cost of attendance to be $230K. I know what you’re probably thinking… if I’m questioning this, I should run away from this field.

The thing is, I realistically don’t see myself doing anything outside of healthcare. It’s something I can enjoy reading and learning about. Teeth in particular isn’t what I’m passionate about, BUT I believe the hands on nature of dentistry and being involved in the entire diagnosis AND treatment process is extremely rewarding. I’ve always liked wood work, fixing pipes and household appliances, and even spending hours to assemble those miniature Lego sets. I like the idea of being able to learn and perform a wide range of procedures as a general dentist. When I shadow, I can see myself being a dentist.

I’m more introverted but I can definitely “act” extroverted and enjoy when I can make connections with people. I’m pretty patient with people who are total A holes.

I think what has attracted me to dentistry more than anything though is the ability to work 3 days a week and still make 6 figures. My plan was to work hard to pay off $230K of student loans ASAP (probably go rural to do this), and then scale back and work an associate gig 3-4 days a week and using the days off to be with family, travel, work on side gigs, etc. I have tried many things, but I’m just not interested enough to anything else where I feel like I can commit 40 or more hours (5 days) a week to. The hobbies I find enjoyable imo would no longer be enjoyable if I made it a job. The idea with picking dentistry is that I can do something pretty neat, that aligns with my interests, that is very meaningful, but it’s also something I don’t have to make my entire life revolve around. Is this wrong?

I guess I’m just trying to make sure that this is the best career for my goals and interests. The only other career paths I really considered were MD, PA, and CRNA. What do you guys think and what are your experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

The way you describe yourself, you sound like me. (Dentistry has been very good to me.)
However, if "3 days a week and still make 65 figures" is one of your primary motivators, DO NOT go into dentistry. You will only be disappointed, disillusioned, and disheartened.

Reactions: 1 user
The way you describe yourself, you sound like me. (Dentistry has been very good to me.)
However, if "3 days a week and still make 65 figures" is one of your primary motivators, DO NOT go into dentistry. You will only be disappointed, disillusioned, and disheartened.
Are you saying that kind of pay for that many days doesn’t happen? It’s not really so much about money. To clarify, I meant that I want to do something I have interest in, that I can use my hands with and serve my community. These are all good reasons for why I want to pursue dentistry. But these are also good reasons to pursue a lot of other medical fields. I chose dentistry because the lifestyle is better from what I hear (3-4 days a week making six figures sounds like a pretty decent reward for hard work)

Members don't see this ad :)

I recently was accepted to a dental school and I estimated my total cost of attendance to be $230K. I know what you’re probably thinking… if I’m questioning this, I should run away from this field.

The thing is, I realistically don’t see myself doing anything outside of healthcare. It’s something I can enjoy reading and learning about. Teeth in particular isn’t what I’m passionate about, BUT I believe the hands on nature of dentistry and being involved in the entire diagnosis AND treatment process is extremely rewarding. I’ve always liked wood work, fixing pipes and household appliances, and even spending hours to assemble those miniature Lego sets. I like the idea of being able to learn and perform a wide range of procedures as a general dentist. When I shadow, I can see myself being a dentist.

I’m more introverted but I can definitely “act” extroverted and enjoy when I can make connections with people. I’m pretty patient with people who are total A holes.

I think what has attracted me to dentistry more than anything though is the ability to work 3 days a week and still make 6 figures. My plan was to work hard to pay off $230K of student loans ASAP (probably go rural to do this), and then scale back and work an associate gig 3-4 days a week and using the days off to be with family, travel, work on side gigs, etc. I have tried many things, but I’m just not interested enough to anything else where I feel like I can commit 40 or more hours (5 days) a week to. The hobbies I find enjoyable imo would no longer be enjoyable if I made it a job. The idea with picking dentistry is that I can do something pretty neat, that aligns with my interests, that is very meaningful, but it’s also something I don’t have to make my entire life revolve around. Is this wrong?

I guess I’m just trying to make sure that this is the best career for my goals and interests. The only other career paths I really considered were MD, PA, and CRNA. What do you guys think and what are your experiences?
I didn't know I would enjoy it until I was about 1.5 years into dental school. If I could go back I'd definitely still do it. You are in a great financial situation to do dentistry. I'd do it if I were you..

Reactions: 1 users

Why would we say run away if you are questioning the 230k price tag? I wish every single pre-dent would question the price tag.

Honestly you sound like a good fit for dentistry and 230k isn't that bad these days. Did you include living costs?

Reactions: 3 users
don't worry I've met literally hundreds of dentists and most dentists are not so 'passionate' about dentistry. With the big exception being prosthodontists lol they are the most obsessive people on the planet.

It doesn't really matter, thats all stuff you say to get into dental school. If you feel like its a good fit and financially okay do it. It will eventually become a job that you do like any other where you are offering a service to people.

Be cognizant that dentistry can be physically intensive on your back

230 is not that much compared to USC cost
Keep in mind, that you will be dealing with a large number of nutcases as patients and that an associate gig might not be what you are imagining

Reactions: 2 users
230 is not that much compared to USC cost
Keep in mind, that you will be dealing with a large number of nutcases as patients and that an associate gig might not be what you are imagining
What in regards to associate gigs do you think i may not be imagining right?

You'll never be happy.....jk...If you want to go into something that chill (working 3-4 days a week) then you're better off doing something nonsurgical (i.e. goto medical school and do radiology or PMNR). Regardless of what profession you do in dentistry, you're going to to have to deal with the stress of working on patients (luckily in my case most of them are asleep) who can have complications and/or complaints. The 3-4 day working schedule sounds appealing, but the reality is you're gonna wanna work 4-6 days a week initially (especially as an associate) to stat paying off loans and not to mention packed patient days. Something to think about, all in all dentistry is still a great profession.

-Associate job that doesn’t pay well.
-Work under the corp’s boss, who only has a HS diploma.
- A lot of medicaid and HMO patients if you work for a corp. High patient volume, low pay.
-The office doesn’t provide the dental materials and instruments that you want. Old chairs, old equipment.
-No respect from the assistants and office manager (especially if you are a slow and incompetent new grad dentist) and you can’t fire them.
-The owner doctor dumps all the non-productive cleaning and easy fillings cases to you so he has more time to focus on more productive procedures.
-Your days get cut when the office doesn’t have enough patients.

In order to work less days a week (3-4 days/wk) and get paid a nice 6-figure income, you have to be a good and fast dentist. And in order to gain the experience, you have to work hard at the beginning (ie 5-6 days/wk). The higher the patient volume and the more difficult cases that you treat, the more experience you will gain. You learn to work more efficiently when you have to deal with a busy work schedule every day. Keep in mind that for you to get paid the X amount, you have to produce 2-3 times that X amount for the owner.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you are expecting a fairly stable employment with a mentoring owner. Reasonably payed, with variety of procedures.
In reality it maybe not that lucrative, boring- cleanings or fillings. Days cancelled without pay. Arrogant, uneducated office managers, assistants ignoring your needs. To cut short - expect to change jobs frequently, unless you go rural

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is that you are expecting a fairly stable employment with a mentoring owner. Reasonably payed, with variety of procedures.
In reality it maybe not that lucrative, boring- cleanings or fillings. Days cancelled without pay. Arrogant, uneducated office managers, assistants ignoring your needs. To cut short - expect to change jobs frequently, unless you go rural
I see. Whats your definition of rural? 30 minutes away from a major airport or city?

Why would we say run away if you are questioning the 230k price tag? I wish every single pre-dent would question the price tag.

Honestly you sound like a good fit for dentistry and 230k isn't that bad these days. Did you include living costs?
Yeah this includes all living costs and interest accrual

I see. Whats your definition of rural? 30 minutes away from a major airport or city?
Lol 30 mins away from a major airport is definitely not rural. That would be in the suburbs, which could be even more competitive market than inner city.

Would you say 1 hour away?
I think what’s considered rural is different from one person to the next. you’ll just need to scout out the area and decide for yourself. If COL is cheaper and salaries are rising, you’re probably getting more rural

edit: from USDA: According to this system, rural areas consist of open countryside with population densities less than 500 people per square mile and places with fewer than 2,500 people.

People equate rural to $$$. Yes I’m sure it pays well, but do you want to live like that? Not saying it’s bad, it’s just not for everyone.

You can do well in a metro or suburban area. The key is to make a reputation for yourself. Hire a good marketing firm and the investment will pay for itself in no time, and more. You’ve worked so hard your whole lives and we are all smart (well, the majority of you folks are, not so sure about me). Live how you want because money comes and goes, but time is something you can NEVER get back. I have lived in pretty crappy conditions and now I live in a better place. Living better is definitely preferable. I may not have $50K-$100K in cash saved up in the bank but that’s fine, that doesn’t do anything for me. My kids go to an excellent private school because I want them to be intelligent and set up for success. I occasionally buy my wife very nice things because that’s what she wants and she deserves it. She put up with me in dental school and she is now working her butt off in law school.

Bottom line is you can’t take it with you. You have worked hard to earn the money you do. So as long as you pay all your bills, save a little, and enjoy yourself, that’s all that matters. Just make sure you pay your bills.

People equate rural to $$$. Yes I’m sure it pays well, but do you want to live like that? Not saying it’s bad, it’s just not for everyone.
If you want to practice in a big city, you have to work hard to make up for the lower pay. You work less and make more if you move to rural area, where there’s nothing there to entertain you. So basically, you have no life with either option. Nothing in life is easy, you have to give up something in order to gain something else.