Would long hair be an issue during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaundryHamper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking to a family friend who is a doctor, and he told that before interviews I should really cut my hair (I am a guy), according to him doctors and dentists tend to be pretty old school, and view longer hair as punk or unprofessional. In fact, he told me that if he was interviewing, my hair would definitely have a negative impact on my application. My hair isn't super long, but it is long enough that I can sweep it behind my ears. This is the first time I've been growing it out, and I've been growing it for 2 years, so I don't want to cut it, but if that's what you have to do, then that's what it is. This is what my hair looks like:

Snapchat-53803911.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality. Can't figure out how to make the picture smaller. I don't know my hair is long enough to qualify as unprofessional, or how much of an impact it would have in an interview.

Thanks you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why it would be an issue as long as it is brushed and styled professionally, but I am not a guy. What do I know? :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also not a guy, but it as long as it is clean and combed, I think it should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing against long hair, I think short hair would look pretty good on you.

Reactions: 3 users
As long as you can get a "professional" look, you'll be good. It's doable with long hair, just a bit more difficult than a really clean cut

Reactions: 1 users
If you had a tight fade you’d be a force to be reckoned with brother

If you practice good hygiene and self-care, you will be fine. Otherwise, my buddy O.T Genasis says "Cut it."

You'd definitely stand out. (Since most of the men interviewing will have a fresh conservative cut.)