would you move to Texas to get into Medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiggidyTooth

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me elaborate for a second.

I find myself in a difficult situation. I am going to start a post-bac program in the fall. My problem is I can't decide where to do it at. I can either move to san francisco, where I have a good group of friends, and complete my courses there. Or i can move to Houston Texas, move in with my folks while I take the courses, and become a texas resident.

The advantage of becoming a texas resident is that the medical schools there are far less difficult to gain admission when compared to california schools. I would much rather stay in california, but would be more than willing to move to texas if it helps get me in.

That being said, would you do it? Would you leave california, friends, beaches and babes to move in with your parents and save some loot if it helped improve your chances of admittance and save some already lacking funds?

Tooth

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TiggidyTooth
That being said, would you do it? Would you leave california, friends, beaches and babes to move in with your parents and save some loot if it helped improve your chances of admittance and save some already lacking funds?

Oh PAL-eeEsse! You make it sound like TX is an isolated hellhole compared to Calif. We have friends, we have babes, and yes, we have beaches. As a Texan, I'm offended by your post!:p

We have Californians moving to Texas by the thousands every year. It's not any easier to get into Texas schools than anywhere else, but there are a good percentage of California natives who matriculate in Texas that stay for medical school due to instate advantages in acceptance numbers and costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know.

Addressed a common question a that I get asked frequently from native Californians. I'll leave the "babes" part of his query to others...

If I don't get in this cycle I'll be moving to Louisiana or Texas to reapply. Texas requires you establish residency 12 months prior to application, so I wouldn't apply for 2 more cycles. That being said, I also did part of my undergrad in Texas and Louisiana, have family in both states, and was formerly a resident of both states so I'm not completely abusing the system

It was my plan if I didn't get in this year.

Texas babes tend to be much more conservative and religious than California babes. Can definitely confirm