-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by wishintobedoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah, I think it really is an awesome idea. I've read about other DO schools having a similar combination of the two curriculums, and I thought to myself how perfect that'd be for me--I didn't want to have to choose between tracks and have any regrets. This is perfect!
...Careful...I didn't mean to mislead you...My understanding is that it will not be a 50/50 split...it will probably be closer to 80/20 (lecture/pbl or clinical). I believe that the traditional PBL is being eliminated, however stronger clinical emphasis will be placed IN the lectures. I do not believe that they are creating a hybrid curriculum.
Sorry if that disappoints, but you can always start a PBL group, I WOULD JOIN. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...Careful...I didn't mean to mislead you...My understanding is that it will not be a 50/50 split...it will probably be closer to 80/20 (lecture/pbl or clinical). I believe that the traditional PBL is being eliminated, however stronger clinical emphasis will be placed IN the lectures. I do not believe that they are creating a hybrid curriculum.
Sorry if that disappoints, but you can always start a PBL group, I WOULD JOIN. 🙂
Yeah, that's what I got from Angie, too. But, nonetheless, I still like the change! 🙂
Yeah, that's what I got from Angie, too. But, nonetheless, I still like the change! 🙂
Guinea Pigs.... 🙂
PBL is being eliminated alltogether. They hybrid system is for next year only for this years PBL'ers who came to WVSOM under the impression that they would be able to finish MS1-2 as PBL students.
The reason is not a deficit in the strenth of PBL but it simply spreads the professor's too thin in that coordinating PBL learning issues and teaching SBL lectures is too time consuming for the individual faculty members. I think you will find that most schools that tried to offer both just couldn't sustain. They do however seem to work if they just do one format or the other, i.e. LECOM-B which is PBL only and has done very well on boards.
It seems that in recent years PBL students at WVSOM have represented the highest board average scores, but also the highest failure rates. Take that for what you will.
The reason is not a deficit in the strenth of PBL but it simply spreads the professor's too thin in that coordinating PBL learning issues and teaching SBL lectures is too time consuming for the individual faculty members. I think you will find that most schools that tried to offer both just couldn't sustain. They do however seem to work if they just do one format or the other, i.e. LECOM-B which is PBL only and has done very well on boards.
It seems that in recent years PBL students at WVSOM have represented the highest board average scores, but also the highest failure rates. Take that for what you will.
PBL is being eliminated alltogether. They hybrid system is for next year only for this years PBL'ers who came to WVSOM under the impression that they would be able to finish MS1-2 as PBL students.
The reason is not a deficit in the strenth of PBL but it simply spreads the professor's too thin in that coordinating PBL learning issues and teaching SBL lectures is too time consuming for the individual faculty members. I think you will find that most schools that tried to offer both just couldn't sustain. They do however seem to work if they just do one format or the other, i.e. LECOM-B which is PBL only and has done very well on boards.
It seems that in recent years PBL students at WVSOM have represented the highest board average scores, but also the highest failure rates. Take that for what you will.
hmmm...interesting
PBL is being eliminated alltogether. They hybrid system is for next year only for this years PBL'ers who came to WVSOM under the impression that they would be able to finish MS1-2 as PBL students.
The reason is not a deficit in the strenth of PBL but it simply spreads the professor's too thin in that coordinating PBL learning issues and teaching SBL lectures is too time consuming for the individual faculty members. I think you will find that most schools that tried to offer both just couldn't sustain. They do however seem to work if they just do one format or the other, i.e. LECOM-B which is PBL only and has done very well on boards.
It seems that in recent years PBL students at WVSOM have represented the highest board average scores, but also the highest failure rates. Take that for what you will.
No additional emphasis on the PBL-like "clinical" aspect at all?? Angie explained to me that it would be kind of like a hybrid, more so like Biology101 said...like an 80/20 mix. I'm assuming that might entail maybe some lectures that somewhat mock a PBL session? I don't know how effective that'd be tho, seeing as it'd be 200 students instead of 8-10 lol...I don't know, just a guess. But you were told there will be NO PBL-like aspects whatsoever??
No additional emphasis on the PBL-like "clinical" aspect at all?? Angie explained to me that it would be kind of like a hybrid, more so like Biology101 said...like an 80/20 mix. I'm assuming that might entail maybe some lectures that somewhat mock a PBL session? I don't know how effective that'd be tho, seeing as it'd be 200 students instead of 8-10 lol...I don't know, just a guess. But you were told there will be NO PBL-like aspects whatsoever??
Well i think he is saying there are 2 programs...one for those soon to be 2nd years that want to finish pbl (thus the hybrid) and our program 🙂...which will be more sbl, but have more clinical relevance than before.
Although some people really like PBL, I'd say that out of my class about 10 people out of the initial 25 switched to SBL after a few sessions. It works well for some, but not for all.
Here is Panda's take on PBL, it's pretty funny....
http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/11/20/hell-on-earth/
Here is Panda's take on PBL, it's pretty funny....
http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/11/20/hell-on-earth/
Although some people really like PBL, I'd say that out of my class about 10 people out of the initial 25 switched to SBL after a few sessions. It works well for some, but not for all.
Here is Panda's take on PBL, it's pretty funny....
http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/11/20/hell-on-earth/
lol
Although some people really like PBL, I'd say that out of my class about 10 people out of the initial 25 switched to SBL after a few sessions. It works well for some, but not for all.
Here is Panda's take on PBL, it's pretty funny....
http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/11/20/hell-on-earth/
WOW, that's nearly half!!! I find that very amusing, seeing as during my interview in April, my panel told me that RARELY anyone at ALL switches out of PBL into SBL...they're "very particular" in making sure the student fits the program. LOL. Guess not.
WOW, that's nearly half!!! I find that very amusing, seeing as during my interview in April, my panel told me that RARELY anyone at ALL switches out of PBL into SBL...they're "very particular" in making sure the student fits the program. LOL. Guess not.
perhaps a slight.....fib?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning to apply for next cycle. 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA , RN ,non-traditional, no ECs yet. What mcat score do I need in order to have a decent chance for WVCOM?
well as long as you have higher than a 26 then you ll have better stats than me.
did you get in with your stats?well as long as you have higher than a 26 then you ll have better stats than me.
Congrats to all you currently accepted!
BTW, we're one week from from finishing this semester...it's been a good ride 🙂
Any highlights? Things to avoid?
Hey guys,
I just received an interview. I am SO excited!!! I spoke to Angela on the phone and I am very eager to see the school and meet the staff. Is there anything that I can do to make sure I get accepted?! This is my TOP choice and I have so much energy to give back to this school!!!!!!
I just received an interview. I am SO excited!!! I spoke to Angela on the phone and I am very eager to see the school and meet the staff. Is there anything that I can do to make sure I get accepted?! This is my TOP choice and I have so much energy to give back to this school!!!!!!
Hey guys,
I just received an interview. I am SO excited!!! I spoke to Angela on the phone and I am very eager to see the school and meet the staff. Is there anything that I can do to make sure I get accepted?! This is my TOP choice and I have so much energy to give back to this school!!!!!!
no nothing to make sure,
but if you keep that energy and passion youll be fine
(never hurts to know the history and layout)
just got accepted! I absolutely loved this school when I came to interview
Hey everyone!
my status says: accept applicant
so hopefully that means Im in! I really liked this school. If there are any current WVSOM students out there, can you give me a take on the big classes and if anyone knows an HPSP student? Im thinking of going army and dont want to do the process alone!
my status says: accept applicant
so hopefully that means Im in! I really liked this school. If there are any current WVSOM students out there, can you give me a take on the big classes and if anyone knows an HPSP student? Im thinking of going army and dont want to do the process alone!
just got accepted! I absolutely loved this school when I came to interview
Hey everyone!
my status says: accept applicant
so hopefully that means Im in! I really liked this school. If there are any current WVSOM students out there, can you give me a take on the big classes and if anyone knows an HPSP student? Im thinking of going army and dont want to do the process alone!
Congratulations to you both!! Yes, that means you're in 🙂
Join the facebook group "WVSOM 2014"...posting your HPSP questions on there is prob your best bet. This is finals week now, though, then comes the holidays...so just be patient. Congrats, again!
Hey guys,
I have this great essay that's about a page and 3/4. Is this too long for the supplemental? It doesn't say a length limit for the essay. Everything I wrote is relevant and isnt fluffed up at all, i just wanted to know if this would be TOO much. Please let me know guys!
I have this great essay that's about a page and 3/4. Is this too long for the supplemental? It doesn't say a length limit for the essay. Everything I wrote is relevant and isnt fluffed up at all, i just wanted to know if this would be TOO much. Please let me know guys!
got my acceptance today as well, hope to see you all in the fall!
Congrats! Join the FB group.
Hey guys,
I have this great essay that's about a page and 3/4. Is this too long for the supplemental? It doesn't say a length limit for the essay. Everything I wrote is relevant and isnt fluffed up at all, i just wanted to know if this would be TOO much. Please let me know guys!
I wouldn't worry about a 3/4 of a page
Go for it, or if your still worried, call the amazing ladies in the admission office.
Congrats! Join the FB group.
just joined the group, surprised that only that many people have been accepted so far, thought it was more. ive been checking out the facebook page for wvsom, has a lot of great photos and other stuff, check it out
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just joined the group, surprised that only that many people have been accepted so far, thought it was more. ive been checking out the facebook page for wvsom, has a lot of great photos and other stuff, check it out
Only those few have joined the group.
If you place the link (below) in your signature, more people will see it.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v...7734361711#/group.php?gid=137734361711&ref=ts
1
175961
Fact: not everyone that gets accepted joins the facebook groupjust joined the group, surprised that only that many people have been accepted so far, thought it was more. ive been checking out the facebook page for wvsom, has a lot of great photos and other stuff, check it out
Fact: despite the fact that facebook is the antigod and is taking over the world, not everyone has a facebook account
Fact: not everyone that gets accepted joins the facebook group
Fact: despite the fact that facebook is the antigod and is taking over the world, not everyone has a facebook account
true, but nearly everyone in college has a facebook account these days.
bio101 the facebook "group" titled wvsom 2014 has no pics, but the facebook "page" titled west virginia school of osteopathic medicine has photos. One's a group, other's a page.
How long did it take the letter to reach those were accepted?
true, but nearly everyone in college has a facebook account these days.
bio101 the facebook "group" titled wvsom 2014 has no pics, but the facebook "page" titled west virginia school of osteopathic medicine has photos. One's a group, other's a page.
How long did it take the letter to reach those were accepted?
ah
it was online the following tueday...teh actual letter...like a week
Its been 4 weeks today since I got the "we have your application" email and the applicant status is still showing as "In Process - Decision Pending"...😕
Things are going to go slow between now and the holidays. I wouldnt worry, if they give you an interview, you have a great chance and remember most schools are only half full (if that) by now.
I was accepted about two weeks ago. I loved, loved, loved the school.
I have one problem: I still have interviews and I'd like to keep my options open. However, all the interviews are either the day before or much after the first deposit is due.
I'm assuming I'm just going to have to pay the first deposit and if I find a better fit, take that $2000 loss. Did anyone else have a similar situation?
I don't want to lose my spot in the class because I really like the school.
Thanks!
I have one problem: I still have interviews and I'd like to keep my options open. However, all the interviews are either the day before or much after the first deposit is due.
I'm assuming I'm just going to have to pay the first deposit and if I find a better fit, take that $2000 loss. Did anyone else have a similar situation?
I don't want to lose my spot in the class because I really like the school.
Thanks!
I was accepted about two weeks ago. I loved, loved, loved the school.
I have one problem: I still have interviews and I'd like to keep my options open. However, all the interviews are either the day before or much after the first deposit is due.
I'm assuming I'm just going to have to pay the first deposit and if I find a better fit, take that $2000 loss. Did anyone else have a similar situation?
I don't want to lose my spot in the class because I really like the school.
Thanks!
Yup same boat.....but the deadline has passed....
I have to say......I have interviewed at several schools now and WVSOM by far has the nicest anatomy lab, nicest sim lab, and best-run standard patient program.....of all of the places I have interviewed, allo and osteo.
Not the best gym though.......but hey, at least they have one.
Still, the facilities at WVSOM are fabulous. I just wish the OOS tuition wasn't so high.
Not the best gym though.......but hey, at least they have one.
Still, the facilities at WVSOM are fabulous. I just wish the OOS tuition wasn't so high.
I have to say......I have interviewed at several schools now and WVSOM by far has the nicest anatomy lab, nicest sim lab, and best-run standard patient program.....of all of the places I have interviewed, allo and osteo.
Not the best gym though.......but hey, at least they have one.
Still, the facilities at WVSOM are fabulous. I just wish the OOS tuition wasn't so high.
yea the oos state tuition is absolutely ridiculous and I felt the same way about the school. The school is fabulous to say the least but that 50,000 dollars just was not worth it.
1
175961
😕 what are you looking for??? they have all the dumbbells you need, barbells/weights/racks too. the weight machines are good as well. plenty of cardio machines (that are not ancient pieces of crap) and ample open floor space for doing other types of workouts. and they have a nice basketball court too (the flooring was just re-done a few days prior to my interview there and it was looking good) I'd say the only thing that they are missing is a swimming pool.I have to say......I have interviewed at several schools now and WVSOM by far has the nicest anatomy lab, nicest sim lab, and best-run standard patient program.....of all of the places I have interviewed, allo and osteo.
Not the best gym though.......but hey, at least they have one.
Still, the facilities at WVSOM are fabulous. I just wish the OOS tuition wasn't so high.
Given that it is only for med students and their immediate family members it is plenty big. I workout on a daily basis and was very satisfied with what they have and I know I'll be able to do all the lifting i desire with the equipment they have
sorry, I love lifting and get rather touchy about the topic
Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't OOS tuition + fees upwards of $70,000?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😕 what are you looking for??? they have all the dumbbells you need, barbells/weights/racks too. the weight machines are good as well. plenty of cardio machines (that are not ancient pieces of crap) and ample open floor space for doing other types of workouts. and they have a nice basketball court too (the flooring was just re-done a few days prior to my interview there and it was looking good) I'd say the only thing that they are missing is a swimming pool.
Given that it is only for med students and their immediate family members it is plenty big. I workout on a daily basis and was very satisfied with what they have and I know I'll be able to do all the lifting i desire with the equipment they have
sorry, I love lifting and get rather touchy about the topic
Ah......you are missing the point. The point was not that the gym was bad. My post merely said that the anatomy lab, sim lab, and standardized patient program were the very best of all the schools where I have interveiwed. The gym, by contrast, was not the best of all of the schools where I have interviewed. I didn't say the gym was bad. Only that it was not the best of all the other schools.
Details. Details. It's always those pesky details.......😉
Oh, and I too miss a pool. But I have not found any pools at osteo- schools thus far.....only allo- programs. I suppose because they are usually associated with large universities.
And to answer the last post.......I believe they told us COA for OOS was $77,000.00 per year.
Ah......you are missing the point. The point was not that the gym was bad. My post merely said that the anatomy lab, sim lab, and standardized patient program were the very best of all the schools where I have interveiwed. The gym, by contrast, was not the best of all of the schools where I have interviewed. I didn't say the gym was bad. Only that it was not the best of all the other schools.
Details. Details. It's always those pesky details.......😉
Oh, and I too miss a pool. But I have not found any pools at osteo- schools thus far.....only allo- programs. I suppose because they are usually associated with large universities.
And to answer the last post.......I believe they told us COA for OOS was $77,000.00 per year.
I interviewed at LECOM-Erie and they have a pool. Its a brand new gym and extremely nice. It has basically anything a gym would have at any large university.
Hey everyone! I was accepted over the break! Anybody know about holding seats for the school? This school is a great place to be. Anyone also have info on housing and other everyday info to help settle in to the community? One more thing is the military payback methods... is anyone currently involved?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 130
- Views
- 28K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 373
- Views
- 81K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 376
- Views
- 77K