WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Has anyone who interviewed on Monday been notified yet? All I've seen is that my status changed on their website.
 
Last edited:
I was expecting an email from them yesterday. Only came online to check today and it says 'Accept Applicant'. I guess I'm in! So letter expected from them in the mail. But no emails from them, right? It feel so weird to not receive an email from them. Anyways, congrats to everyone else who's been accepted!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was expecting an email from them yesterday. Only came online to check today and it says 'Accept Applicant'. I guess I'm in! So letter expected from them in the mail. But no emails from them, right? It feel so weird to not receive an email from them. Anyways, congrats to everyone else who's been accepted!


Congrats! You may want to join the fb group WVSOM 2014
 
I had some quick questions about 3rd adn 4th year. If I understand correctly, the school helps to set up 3rd year rotations, buth 4th year we must set up our own? How much traveling may be or is required during those years? Lastly, anybody know the breakdown of how many weeks we are in each specialty, ie: X weeks Family Practice, X weeks IM, X weeks surgery, X weeks electives, etc. If anybody knows and is willing to share, thanks in advance.
 
Accepted Today!!!! 😀 Seems like a great school now I have to decide between here and KCOM. Wish it wasn't so expensive.
 
I had some quick questions about 3rd adn 4th year. If I understand correctly, the school helps to set up 3rd year rotations, buth 4th year we must set up our own? How much traveling may be or is required during those years? Lastly, anybody know the breakdown of how many weeks we are in each specialty, ie: X weeks Family Practice, X weeks IM, X weeks surgery, X weeks electives, etc. If anybody knows and is willing to share, thanks in advance.

I believe that is true about the set-up of your clinical rotation years, but I am not 100% on that. I am sure you have the option of extending your site-stay into your 4th year at the same location you did your 3rd year rotations, which has to be one of X amount of predetermined locations. Those locations, along with your spread of specialty rotation durations, can be found on pages 13-15 of the Catalog. Follow this link:

http://www.wvsom.edu/_pdf/collegecatalog.pdf

The catalog's full of good info--great resource that will probably answer most of your questions. Hope that helps!

w00t!!!!!!!!!! just got accepted!!!!!😀😀😀😀😀😀

Congrats!!!

Accepted Today!!!! 😀 Seems like a great school now I have to decide between here and KCOM. Wish it wasn't so expensive.

Congrats!!! It IS a great school 🙂

KCOM is, too, though. My college roommate got in there, I got into WVSOM, both as alternate list candidates, who BOTH are happily enjoying this year off before we start next August 🙂

The tuition is a bigggg thing to consider. But more importantly, consider what makes you happiest and the components that are most important to YOU. If WVSOM kills the KCOM list, then I wouldn't let finances deter you from attending the school that best fits you and your learning style. There are many ways to tackle debt...and the way I see it, there have been so many who have dealt/are successfully dealing with it now. Will it be tough and will we live less luxuriously for quite some time? Absooolutely. But getting the education from the school you love--that's worth it to me.

Good luck in your decision 🙂
 
I had some quick questions about 3rd adn 4th year. If I understand correctly, the school helps to set up 3rd year rotations, buth 4th year we must set up our own? How much traveling may be or is required during those years? Lastly, anybody know the breakdown of how many weeks we are in each specialty, ie: X weeks Family Practice, X weeks IM, X weeks surgery, X weeks electives, etc. If anybody knows and is willing to share, thanks in advance.

Hi! For 3rd year, the school sets up all of your rotations. There shouldn't be much traveling for your 3rd year. For third year, all of the rotation sites are broken down into six geographical regions and then there are 3-4 base sites within each region. You'll select one base site hospital for 3rd year and do all your rotations at that base site hospital and affiliated hospitals in that area. However, if the school has to send you on a rotation that is more than 45 miles away from your base site hospital, they will provide you housing for that rotation. There's also a limited length of time that they can send you for a rotation outside of your base site.
Here's a link to the breakdown for each specialty in 3rd year:
http://www.wvsom.edu/students/clined.cfm?ID=762

For 4th year, you get to set up all your rotations. There's only as much traveling as you decide. If you can set up up all of your rotations in one general area, go for it. If you want to do rotations across the country or stay in WV, you can do that too.
Here's a link to the breakdown for each specialty in 4th year: http://www.wvsom.edu/students/clined.cfm?ID=764

The school also requires that you spend a certain number of weeks doing OMT. Most people kill two birds with one stone and get that taken care of during their Family Medicine rotations.

In addition to the required weeks in each specialty, the state of WV requires all med students to complete the Rural Health Education Partnership (RHEP). It essentially means that you have to spend a certain amount of time in a designated rural area in WV before you can graduate. Some of the base sites are automatically in RHEP-designated areas so you can get your RHEP requirements taken care of while your doing your normal rotations. If your base site isn't in an RHEP-designated area, you can request to be sent to a different site for a rotation during your 3rd year to complete your RHEP requirements or you can schedule one of your rotations in WV during your 4th year to complete the requirements.

Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ok so this is the first time that I am posting in this thread and I have to say that I am very jealous of you all getting interviews and acceptances etc. I decided to take the year off to improve my application and now I am sitting here and watching everyone gain acceptances. During this time I have been reading up on WVSOM and I am absolutely in love with this school. What is difficult is that despite the enormous tuition I feel like this school would be a great fit for me. I have lived in NJ most of my life and I am absolutely finished with this type of environment. My fiance has introduced me(through her working a farm etc.) to nature and I want everything about it, the fishing that land etc. It just seems like a great fit for me and the fact that there are only 4k people makes it all the better. I do have worries though. My spouse is a geriatric socialworker and I am curious as to whether she would find employment in such an unpopulated area. can anyone chime in about this? What have other spouses attached to medical students done in this situation at WVSOM? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

PS I am def. applying
 
Can you check your status before you get an e-mail for an interview/secondary? I am just wondering, since it's been a while since I got the AACOMAS acknowledgement. I went to their site and entered my ID and pin and nothing happens. It just keeps returning me to the login screen. I am OOS, if that makes any difference.
 
Can you check your status before you get an e-mail for an interview/secondary? I am just wondering, since it's been a while since I got the AACOMAS acknowledgement. I went to their site and entered my ID and pin and nothing happens. It just keeps returning me to the login screen. I am OOS, if that makes any difference.


I had that problem....try a different browser
 
That song by John Denver is SO fitting for West Virginia...beautiful and enchanting state combined with a lovely tribute song = amazing.
 
My status changed to "Decision Deferred" today. Has anyone gotten an interview after their status changed to this?
 
My status changed to "Decision Deferred" today. Has anyone gotten an interview after their status changed to this?


This means they are missing something, or want to wait on your current grades.

Best thing is to call and see if it is simply something missing or something else.
 
This means they are missing something, or want to wait on your current grades.

Best thing is to call and see if it is simply something missing or something else.

Nah...everything is there. I graduated in May. I confirmed that they received all my letters and such.
 
I completely agree with Biology101...give them a call. I had "decision deferred" last year and I just waited. A while later I called them, submitted some additional info and got an interview but by that time all spots were filled and i was placed on the alternate list...so even if you think they don't need anything from you, make sure so you don't have any regrets later.

Hey I could get a better idea if I knew your stats. You can pm me is you like
 
It's probably because of my MCAT. MCAT<25...My cumulative GPA and science GPA are slightly above their averages. I have good EC's and plenty of MD and DO shadowing. I just hate the waiting.
 
It's probably because of my MCAT. MCAT<25...My cumulative GPA and science GPA are slightly above their averages. I have good EC's and plenty of MD and DO shadowing. I just hate the waiting.


Believe it or not, MCAT score is not the most important thing. I personally know someone with a 24 who got into WVSOM this year.


Do not give up, and remeber while the admission ladies are amazing (and uber nice), they have alot of applicants to process.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completely agree with Biology101...give them a call. I had "decision deferred" last year and I just waited. A while later I called them, submitted some additional info and got an interview but by that time all spots were filled and i was placed on the alternate list...so even if you think they don't need anything from you, make sure so you don't have any regrets later.


Ditto! I did the same, ended up contacting them and sending in additional info/letter of interest in late February...then got a late interview invite (for April 3)...and by that time the class was full. Isa84 and I interviewed on the same day, in fact! Thankfully the admissions committee liked us enough to offer us spots for 2010 entry 🙂

Definitely contact them--it won't hurt, and potentially it is just what you may need to clench that interview. Good luck!
 
I was granted an interview today, but when I try to log in to get my forms, my ID nad password just bring me back to the log-in page. I have tried multiple browsers and multiple computers. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a trick to it?
Thanks
 
I was granted an interview today, but when I try to log in to get my forms, my ID nad password just bring me back to the log-in page. I have tried multiple browsers and multiple computers. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a trick to it?
Thanks

Make sure you have the 2010/11 bubble selected...if you have it on 2009/10, it will just keep kicking you back out like you're describing. Hope that helps! If not, call the admissions office asap and I'm sure they will be happy to help you work it out 🙂
 
Make sure you have the 2010/11 bubble selected...if you have it on 2009/10, it will just keep kicking you back out like you're describing. Hope that helps! If not, call the admissions office asap and I'm sure they will be happy to help you work it out 🙂


I had the same issue, however it was a browser issue for me (IE worked fine)
 
Thanks for the help. I have gotten into the forms now. It won't let me login to the checklist though. Does anyone know what that is? When I try to login there it tells me I am not allowed access there and should return to the admissions login page.

.....Anyone else interveiwing on 11/11?
 
Never mind.... I got to the checklist now. Of course they say they don't have my pre-med committee letter and Virtual Eval says they got it on August 18th.......guess I'll have to call them about that.

No one else so far interviewing on the 11th?
 
foofoobunnyoink, I interviewed with you today!

Hope everything went well and that we both hear good news on Tuesday!
 
Hey Stat! Who were you? I was the girl that came all the way from Seattle. 😛 I'm STILL exhausted from flying all the way back home.

Good luck to you too!! Fingers are crossed... I love this school (I just wish it were a bit closer to home!).
 
Interviewed on 10/30 and got accepted today!! 🙂

This is an incredible school. I'm so happy! I still have a few more interviews to go though, and I'm waiting to hear back from Western University in California, but this school is definitely high on my list. 🙂
 
Interviewed on 10/30 and got accepted today!! 🙂

This is an incredible school. I'm so happy! I still have a few more interviews to go though, and I'm waiting to hear back from Western University in California, but this school is definitely high on my list. 🙂


Congrats!

If you do decide to join the WVSOM class of 2014, then you may want to join the fb group
 
hey anyone know how big 2013 class size were? And what is the class size they looking for this year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad