WVSOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kind of bummed out that I haven't received a secondary from this school. Generally, how long does it take to receive a secondary after AACOMAS has submitted the primary?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh yes, hi Mike! Congratulations!! Is this where you're going to go for sure?

I'm not 100% sure that I'm going here yet, but I definitely loved this school and I think that there is a very high chance that I'll end up here next year. I'd definitely be stoked to end up here because it seemed like a great place for an osteopathic medical school education and I've heard nothing but good things about it. 🙂
 
I'm not 100% sure that I'm going here yet, but I definitely loved this school and I think that there is a very high chance that I'll end up here next year. I'd definitely be stoked to end up here because it seemed like a great place for an osteopathic medical school education and I've heard nothing but good things about it. 🙂


ditto
 
I'm not 100% sure that I'm going here yet, but I definitely loved this school and I think that there is a very high chance that I'll end up here next year. I'd definitely be stoked to end up here because it seemed like a great place for an osteopathic medical school education and I've heard nothing but good things about it. 🙂

I ended up rejecting WVSOM because I got accepted to Western University in Pomona, CA. It was an incredibly tough choice though, because I know I would've been so, so, so happy in Lewisburg. Good luck to you during the rest of the process! 🙂
 
I ended up rejecting WVSOM because I got accepted to Western University in Pomona, CA. It was an incredibly tough choice though, because I know I would've been so, so, so happy in Lewisburg. Good luck to you during the rest of the process! 🙂
thats one way to put it:laugh:
 
Oh oops, I guess that's the first word that popped into my head. 'Declining' would have worked better. 😛 I didn't mean to sound crude, sorry!
 
So I just checked my status page, and it says "decision deferred" 🙁. Does it mean they might reconsider my application later, or it will eventually lead to a rejection. Has anyone had similar status, and how did it resolve? Thanks
 
So I just checked my status page, and it says "decision deferred" 🙁. Does it mean they might reconsider my application later, or it will eventually lead to a rejection. Has anyone had similar status, and how did it resolve? Thanks


I heard about this during my interview. It means that they may be waiting for somethin, like letters, transcripts, etc. Though a person was told at my interview session that his application status would be deffered until they got his letters of rec.

You should call the admissions office.
 
Well, It looks like this is it. I sent in my deposit today. See everyone in about 9 months!
 
I just received the "we have your AACOMAS application" email. So, roughly how long until they get back to you, if at all? Thank you for any advice.
 
I just received the "we have your AACOMAS application" email. So, roughly how long until they get back to you, if at all? Thank you for any advice.

mine took 2 months for the interview invite. I'm from the Northwest though, so that might play a lil factor in the delay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is the secondary really only that one essay question? People were talking about sending a picture but where does it say that? Love to hear back. Thanks
 
Is the secondary really only that one essay question? People were talking about sending a picture but where does it say that? Love to hear back. Thanks


Yes, it is just that one essay question and it doesnt say anything about a picture until you enter your application online, which you print out and there is a space for your photo to send with it.
 
First, I would like to say congrats those accepted to the class of 2014. I received my email saying that the school received my primary application and that I would be hearing from them shortly. I am both excited and nervous about this process, as it has already been a nerve-racking experience. I hope to see many of you this fall.
 
Recently received an interview invite. Any feedback on the school and the interview would be great. What is the town like? Is tuition really 50k?
 
Recently received an interview invite. Any feedback on the school and the interview would be great. What is the town like? Is tuition really 50k?

The interview is very laid back and conversational. On page two of this thread, I believe, I posted the questions that I studied for my interview day, and those were more than adequate preparation. There are morning interviews and afternoon ones, with a tour, lunch, and PBL info session in between. I had the afternoon interview, so I didn't have to show up to the admissions office until 10am, when we started the campus tour. I loved the campus--it's big, in my opinion, for a medical school--very much a campus feel with its multiple facilities, gym, etc. I had a Friday interview, so I flew in Thursday night then stayed until Sunday afternoon. I was able to explore the area, check out some of the realty for the heck of it, and walk around downtown. It's an incredibly quaint, adorable, and friendly little town. It has enough of what you need--a Krogers, Kmart, and Super Walmart, lots of fast food and a few chain restaurants...then it has several cute restaurants in the downtown area. In fact, several of them are 5 star and have even been featured on the food network!...cool little tid bit 🙂

The town is also full of history and culture, with one of the original Carnegie's residing there, as well as multiple civil war memorials/sites (someone could elaborate more accurately on this--this is well beyond my forte 🙂 )

All in all, you will enjoy a very relaxed day full of friendly people, and hopefully you'll have a little extra time to explore the downtown area. It is TINY, yes--there are less than 4,000 people in Lewisburg--but I love it. Perfect community and site to study medicine 🙂 And yes, unfortunately, the tuition is 50k for OOS, 20k for IS.

Good luck and I hope you like WVSOM and Lewisburg as much as I do!
 
Last edited:
The interview is very laid back and conversational. On page two of this thread, I believe, I posted the questions that I studied for my interview day, and those were more than adequate preparation. There are morning interviews and afternoon ones, with a tour, lunch, and PBL info session in between. I had the afternoon interview, so I didn't have to show up to the admissions office until 10am, when we started the campus tour. I loved the campus--it's big, in my opinion, for a medical school--very much a campus feel with its multiple facilities, gym, etc. I had a Friday interview, so I flew in Thursday night then stayed until Sunday afternoon. I was able to explore the area, check out some of the reality for the heck of it, and walk around downtown. It's an incredibly quaint, adorable, and friendly little town. It has enough of what you need--a Krogers, Kmart, and Super Walmart, lots of fast food and a few chain restaurants...then it has several cute restaurants in the downtown area. In fact, several of them are 5 star and have even been featured on the food network!...cool little tid bit 🙂

The town is also full of history and culture, with one of the original Carnegie's residing there, as well as multiple civil war memorials/sites (someone could elaborate more accurately on this--this is well beyond my forte 🙂 )

All in all, you will enjoy a very relaxed day full of friendly people, and hopefully you'll have a little extra time to explore the downtown area. It is TINY, yes--there are less than 4,000 people in Lewisburg--but I love it. Perfect community and site to study medicine 🙂 And yes, unfortunately, the tuition is 50k for OOS, 20k for IS.

Good luck and I hope you like WVSOM and Lewisburg as much as I do!

Believe me, the novelty of the "quaintness" of Lewisburg wears off very fast. People take off every weekend just to get away.....
 
Believe me, the novelty of the "quaintness" of Lewisburg wears off very fast. People take off every weekend just to get away.....

Aw, that's a depressing thought! Maybe those folks aren't used to the small-town life? They need some escape, some big city exposure? I, personally, don't think I'll need the frequent weekend getaways. Maybe I am in for a rude awakening, but that's doubtful 🙂 I don't know why people would take off every weekend just to get away--to get away from what?! Probably just taking a break from the environment of medical school in general--not the town itself. But, like I said, I won't know for sure until next year...hopefully I am right, at least for myself!
 
I wouldn't anticipate needing to "get away" on the weekends either. I grew up in a town about a tenth the size of Lewisburg with nothing but cows and a few houses.....so I am quite fine with hanging out with nothing to do but Netflix. 🙂
Besides, having lived in an urban environment for most of my adult life...I'm pretty content to kiss all of that goodbye for awhile.....
 
Aw, that's a depressing thought! Maybe those folks aren't used to the small-town life? They need some escape, some big city exposure? I, personally, don't think I'll need the frequent weekend getaways. Maybe I am in for a rude awakening, but that's doubtful 🙂 I don't know why people would take off every weekend just to get away--to get away from what?! Probably just taking a break from the environment of medical school in general--not the town itself. But, like I said, I won't know for sure until next year...hopefully I am right, at least for myself!


For some of us (myself included), we wil just have to take the plunge and move to a small, rural city, from a much larger urban one. I personally am not worried, honestly I think with the amount of work med school entails, time cooking and cleaning, the occasional distracction (movie, video game, or itermeral sport), in addition to hanging out with the quality people on this forum....and I am not worried. I am actually looking forward to a twon with character (as opposed to the character lacking Cleveland Ohio).

WVSOM HERE I COME!


P.S. great post MissDo
 
Does anyone know when they update your status online following the Tuesday committee meeting????
 
Nevermind. They are posted now. Mine says "accept applicant" ....woo hoo. My first one.
Go check the website if you are waiting to hear this week......
 
P.S. great post MissDo

Thanks!

And Heidiho...I think it depends. Sometimes it can even be that Tuesday afternoon--other times it isn't until maybe Wednesday morning, or even as late as Friday or the following week. For me, I had interviewed in April and they took almost two full weeks! But don't fret--I don't think that's a commonality this early on. Good luck and keep us posted 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an interveiw!! but now i have a question if anyone knows. Is WV interviewing for class spots or is it already waitlist? Thanks if anyone knows...now im super nervous, this is top pick.
 
I have no way of knowing at all, but I would guess there are still spots open at this point. Congrats on the interview. You will love it. The school is great and the interview day is a friendly experieince.
 
I got an interveiw!! but now i have a question if anyone knows. Is WV interviewing for class spots or is it already waitlist? Thanks if anyone knows...now im super nervous, this is top pick.


Probably less than 50% full at this point. I think you will recieve either an acceptance or rejection. I think it is too early for waitlist/alternative list
 
I interviewed on February 12th and got accepted a week later. There are a lot of folks in my class who interviewed well after me. So I think you all are probably all good.

Remember lots get multiple offers from school and choose elsewhere for whatever reason.

I would think at this early in the game if they interview you, you are probably sitting pretty.
 
I interviewed on February 12th and got accepted a week later. There are a lot of folks in my class who interviewed well after me. So I think you all are probably all good.

Remember lots get multiple offers from school and choose elsewhere for whatever reason.

I would think at this early in the game if they interview you, you are probably sitting pretty.

I agree. I interviewed April 3 and the class had just been filled at the end of March (thankfully, unbeknown to me at the time...that would've been a discouraging fact to know going into the interview...) I would definitely guess that at this point in the game, there are a hefty amount of spots left. Good luck to all with your upcoming interviews!
 
i read on one of the interview feedback profiles that 600 interviews are given out, and 500 acceptances are handed out, has anyone heard this figure before?
 
Yay interview invite!!! So excited about this one. I think WVSOM is an awesome school!!!!🙂
 
i read on one of the interview feedback profiles that 600 interviews are given out, and 500 acceptances are handed out, has anyone heard this figure before?


I didn't see those exact numbers you are quoting, but I do know they pretty much make their decision pre-interview/secondary and have a really high % of folks accepted after interview.....I have seen numbers quoted of anywhere from 75-88%. I much prefer it when schools screen their primaries, actually. Less time and money wasted on secondaries to schools you don't have a chance at. I wish all schools did this!
 
Im interviewing on the 11th of Dec. On paper, this school fits right. So hopefully I love it in real life as well (and get accepted of course) But Im curious about the PBL and SBL option. That will prob. be the subject matter for the majority of my questions!!!

good luck to everyone and hope to meet some people on the 11th
 
But Im curious about the PBL and SBL option. That will prob. be the subject matter for the majority of my questions!!!


At our interview, the folks in the lecture hall in the PBL program had hot pink cards/name tags on their desks. But we were told that the school is dropping the program, cause it's not working well and that there will just be the one program option for everyone starting next year.
 
At our interview, the folks in the lecture hall in the PBL program had hot pink cards/name tags on their desks. But we were told that the school is dropping the program, cause it's not working well and that there will just be the one program option for everyone starting next year.


I think dropping is the wrong word, they are combining the tow, and while the lecture will be the focus, there will be a heavier clinical component.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think dropping is the wrong word, they are combining the tow, and while the lecture will be the focus, there will be a heavier clinical component.


I didn't know this!!! I interviewed in April for 2009 entry, (alternate candidate entering in 2010)...as of this Spring, the PBL and SBL separate tracks were still in tact. Can anyone who's interviewed this cycle tell me more about this change? I had no idea this was the case. I had actually been tossing around the idea of potentially trying PBL, but I am still pretty set on SBL. I LOVE the idea of PBL, I just don't think it would be entirely conducive to my study habits. This is super exciting news, though, since I do like the ideas of PBL and the strong emphasis on the clinical aspect, all the while I am certain that I personally need the SBL/lecture approach. The combination of the two would be IDEAL (for many, if not all, in my opinion). Please, someone elaborate more on this change of plans if you can! Thank you!
 
I didn't know this!!! I interviewed in April for 2009 entry, (alternate candidate entering in 2010)...as of this Spring, the PBL and SBL separate tracks were still in tact. Can anyone who's interviewed this cycle tell me more about this change? I had no idea this was the case. I had actually been tossing around the idea of potentially trying PBL, but I am still pretty set on SBL. I LOVE the idea of PBL, I just don't think it would be entirely conducive to my study habits. This is super exciting news, though, since I do like the ideas of PBL and the strong emphasis on the clinical aspect, all the while I am certain that I personally need the SBL/lecture approach. The combination of the two would be IDEAL (for many, if not all, in my opinion). Please, someone elaborate more on this change of plans if you can! Thank you!

Hey MissDO,

As I mentioned earlier, they told me that the PBL pathway was being removed and that the sbl would incorporate some aspects of it. I think while the lecture will be the focus, they will include more clinical examples.

Why they are doing this? They didnt say, probably realized that pbl wasnt a strong enough program.

My question about the school, and sort of a pbl/clinical question, is what involvement 1st years have at the on site clinic.
 
Hey MissDO,

As I mentioned earlier, they told me that the PBL pathway was being removed and that the sbl would incorporate some aspects of it. I think while the lecture will be the focus, they will include more clinical examples.

Why they are doing this? They didnt say, probably realized that pbl wasnt a strong enough program.

My question about the school, and sort of a pbl/clinical question, is what involvement 1st years have at the on site clinic.


This is exciting. I actually called Angie this afternoon, too. She told me about it. She didn't tell me why they're combining, though, and I didn't ask, as I am sooo for the merger of the two curriculums. In fact, she said that they have found that the PBL students are very successful with information retention, all the way up through (often higher) board scores, which they accredit to their unique PBL background. I have heard this is the case for many DO schools--PBL students doing better on boards because of their style of learning and how it so closely resembles how the exam questions are written. I think this is such a good idea, at least for someone like me, who needs the structure and discipline of lecture and going to class, and also would like the helpful and successful aspects of a PBL session. I can't wait! I guess we're the guinea pig class for the combo track!
 
This is exciting. I actually called Angie this afternoon, too. She told me about it. She didn't tell me why they're combining, though, and I didn't ask, as I am sooo for the merger of the two curriculums. In fact, she said that they have found that the PBL students are very successful with information retention, all the way up through (often higher) board scores, which they accredit to their unique PBL background. I have heard this is the case for many DO schools--PBL students doing better on boards because of their style of learning and how it so closely resembles how the exam questions are written. I think this is such a good idea, at least for someone like me, who needs the structure and discipline of lecture and going to class, and also would like the helpful and successful aspects of a PBL session. I can't wait! I guess we're the guinea pig class for the combo track!


wow you seem excited for this....I hadn't given it much thought until now
 
wow you seem excited for this....I hadn't given it much thought until now

Yeah, I think it really is an awesome idea. I've read about other DO schools having a similar combination of the two curriculums, and I thought to myself how perfect that'd be for me--I didn't want to have to choose between tracks and have any regrets. This is perfect!