WVSOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know what time on tuesdays you're supposed to find out?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just applied! Well a few weeks ago actually, but I'm complete on AACOMAS and verified. Looking forward to a pin number soon!

Just got an interview for Jan 21 :) ..... anybody else has an interview on this date.....

Sweet! Got my interview date early next month. This is working very well.

For those that have interviewed, what was the format like? Do the interviewees gather and then go in one at a time? Is it just the one 30 minute interview with 3 people?

Thanks everyone!

Sweet! Got my interview date early next month. This is working very well.

For those that have interviewed, what was the format like? Do the interviewees gather and then go in one at a time? Is it just the one 30 minute interview with 3 people?

Thanks everyone!

You received the pin yesterday and received an interview a day later, what were your stats?

Congrats to those who received interview invites! I just received an interview invite for March 2nd yesterday! I am really excited!! Does anyone know how filled the class is by March? March seems like a long ways away so i don't know what it means for me...

Congrats to those who received interview invites! I just received an interview invite for March 2nd yesterday! I am really excited!! Does anyone know how filled the class is by March? March seems like a long ways away so i don't know what it means for me...

huh so weird b/c i also got an interview invite yesterday for jan 21....

You received the pin yesterday and received an interview a day later, what were your stats?

Well, my stats are just above the average, but they had a cancellation and called to see if I was available. I'm glad it worked out since I've been kicking myself for not applying last June when I should have!

Congrats to everyone on there interviews! I believe that this is a school that has a lot of movement with a 350/200 accept/attend ratio. I have a friend who isn't even applying until Feb (against my advice of course).

I need to get that supplemental out stat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been deferred since July :(

Yeah but you at least have an acceptance. I've been waitlisted at 1 MD school, rejected from another and I have interviews pending at another MD and at WVSOM.

I have to say, from what I've seen so far, WVSOM is my top.

hhmmm i guess so lol jk. Have you got accepted in to other schools?

no I haven't yet! I just received an interview invite to Wayne State University in January so I hope that goes well! Wayne is like 20 minutes from my home so it is definitely my first choice school. I would hate to have to move out of state...but I guess if I have to I will! Have you gotten accepted anywhere??

no I haven't yet! I just received an interview invite to Wayne State University in January so I hope that goes well! Wayne is like 20 minutes from my home so it is definitely my first choice school. I would hate to have to move out of state...but I guess if I have to I will! Have you gotten accepted anywhere??

Me neither i live in NY and im freaking out b/c NYCOM hasn't got back to me yet. But on SDN they haven't gotten back to the second batch of interviews yet..... so there is hope :)

Last year I interviewed on March 1st and heard back within days.

So we hear back on Tuesdays after interviews right? I thought I heard that that was the consensus.

I was "in process-decision pending" for a month and a half, then about two weeks ago I switched to "decision pending". This two month wait is rough.

Well that's terrible. Anyone else with some stories to share?

I got my pin about 10 days ago. Any idea how long it takes to get an invite for an interview? Is there any thing I should do to speed up the process or do I kind of have to sit back and wait??

Just sent my deposit in here. Does anyone know if there is a message board on their website to find roommates?
If you just got your pin I wouldn't do anything for a few days at least, but I got the impression letters of interest go a long way here. So if you don't have an interview by mid-week just send a nice email or something, can't hurt

Just sent my deposit in here. Does anyone know if there is a message board on their website to find roommates?
If you just got your pin I wouldn't do anything for a few days at least, but I got the impression letters of interest go a long way here. So if you don't have an interview by mid-week just send a nice email or something, can't hurt[/QUOTE

I haven't seen a discussion forum for roommates but they do give you housing prices, number of rooms, and type of house, etc. once you have paid the first deposit. Maybe some one else could add on to that.

Interviewing in just a few days now. Am I nervous? No...not just yet anyway. I'm sure I'll be a total wreck by tuesday.

interviewing on Feb 2. anyone else got that date? very excited as I'm hearing wonderful things about this program and beautiful location!

I got my pin about 10 days ago. Any idea how long it takes to get an invite for an interview? Is there any thing I should do to speed up the process or do I kind of have to sit back and wait??
I'm in the same boat. I'm afraid I submitted to late, I've been "decision pending" since the 10th. Im debating on sending an email to just check in, but I'm sure they are swamped and I bet it gets very tiresome stroking the fragile ego's of pre med students all day. Lol.

I'm in the same boat. I'm afraid I submitted to late, I've been "decision pending" since the 10th. Im debating on sending an email to just check in, but I'm sure they are swamped and I bet it gets very tiresome stroking the fragile ego's of pre med students all day. Lol.

Give it some time. some of us have been in that state for months.

It's getting on the late side so it might be time to risk annoying an admissions person. They hate pointless "was there a decision?" type calls but just calling or writing to say how much you liked the school or whatever can sometimes get your app higher up in the stack.
I got the feeling here and LECOM Bradenton were particularly appreciative of letters of interest. PCOM and LECOM Erie not so much. Not a put down on the school, just that their rank and file admissions workers seemed isolated from the decision process. If you're looking for letter ideas PM me and I can try and dig up one of my emails for you.

Last edited:
It’s getting on the late side so it might be time to risk annoying an admissions person. They hate pointless "was there a decision?" type calls but just calling or writing to say how much you liked the school or whatever can sometimes get your app higher up in the stack.
I got the feeling here and LECOM Bradenton were particularly appreciative of letters of interest. PCOM and LECOM Erie not so much. Not a put down on the school, just that their rank and file admissions workers seemed isolated from the decision process. If you're looking for letter ideas PM me and can try I can dig up one of my emails for you.

Thanks for the help. I think I will send a letter of interest. This is the only school I applied to. The campus and community are amazing

Thanks for the help. I think I will send a letter of interest. This is the only school I applied to. The campus and community are amazing

You might want to hold off that letter of interest to WVSOM. Last time I heard, they don't take any letters that are not official. You might just want to call them and express your interest. You should also emphasize your love for this school and it's commitment to rural medicine.

If you just got your pin I wouldn't do anything for a few days at least, but I got the impression letters of interest go a long way here. So if you don't have an interview by mid-week just send a nice email or something, can't hurt[/QUOTE

I haven't seen a discussion forum for roommates but they do give you housing prices, number of rooms, and type of house, etc. once you have paid the first deposit. Maybe some one else could add on to that.

One word: Facebook. Almost all roommate discussions were held through the WVSOM 2014 facebook page. I might be a little too early to start looking for a place, but it's never too early to find a roommate. The Housing page usually gets updated in February.

One word: Facebook. Almost all roommate discussions were held through the WVSOM 2014 facebook page. I might be a little too early to start looking for a place, but it's never too early to find a roommate. The Housing page usually gets updated in February.

Darn I’ve resisted making a facebook account for this long. I can waste time at work on this but facebook is blocked and not really looking for another time waste at home. Guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and make one sometime.
Yeah I wouldn't send a snail mail letter for your file but an email to one of the two admissions ladies would be well received.

I have an interview on Jan 10th. Was wondering if you need to take anything with you or you just walk in with nothing?

I have an interview on Jan 10th. Was wondering if you need to take anything with you or you just walk in with nothing?

You don't need anything but a good attitude, smiles and some confidence and you will be all set :)

I wish I would have brought a small leather notebook as they give you some paperwork to carry around on the tour. I just folded it up and shoved it into a pocket, but a nice folder would've been a bit neater.

This school is amazing btw. They said we'll have final admission decisions next week. Nice turnaround!

I just got an interview for the 19th. Anyone else?

For the people who just went to their interviews; how was it and do you remember some of the questions they asked?

Hi fellow WVSOM applicants!!

I recently interviewed at this school and I have some feedback. I am from NJ and the drive from NJ to WV was scary as it felt like its a whole new world down there. Even when you enter Lewisburgh, its a whole new feeling (I am not use to so many trees and mountains!!). I got there the night before my interview, and I was scared as I thought I would not like the school. But after getting a room and going to eat a local place, I started to love the people there. The town is very small, but it has few places to eat and stay and is pretty decent for medical school.

Then in the morning, I went in at 10 AM. We got a tour of the school from 10-12 PM. We had lunch with 2 students at 12 PM (they were there to just help, not watch after you). They were very helpful in answering all our questions. Then we had pictures and Financial AID presentation until 2 PM. They started to take us in one at a time for interview (lasted about 20-30 mins for everyone I think). Our tour guide was Angie Bowyer and she was truly amazing. We met many other students and grduate TAs, and also met the President. Everyone was so down to earth and they make WVSOM the school it is. My feeling about the school and town changed throughout the day. I started to love the place after meeting such amazing people and seeing such amazing facilities. Everything from the anatomy lab to the gym was amazing. But the most amazing part are the people there. Everyone is extra nice and it would be a great place to study medicine. They also have these robots in which med students can train on/with. You can see all that during your tour.

As for the interview: It was very laid back. I interviewed with one PhD, DO, and admission member. They asked basic questions such as:

Why DO
Why WVSOM (how did you decide to apply here)
Where have you applied?
Biggest Strength, weaknessses
Hardest Course you have taken
What will be the hardest part about medical school and how will you deal with it?

I think there were more, but I can't remember all. But as you can see, they were basic questions that you should be able to answer if you are serious about Medical school and serious about WVSOM. It is very important that you be yourself. I won't find out whether I got accepted or not for another week, but I loved the school and am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Lesson learned: Don't judge a book by its cover! Love the school, but only after I went through the tour. The only negative about the school is the 50k a year!!

Hi fellow WVSOM applicants!!

I recently interviewed at this school and I have some feedback. I am from NJ and the drive from NJ to WV was scary as it felt like its a whole new world down there. Even when you enter Lewisburgh, its a whole new feeling (I am not use to so many trees and mountains!!). I got there the night before my interview, and I was scared as I thought I would not like the school. But after getting a room and going to eat a local place, I started to love the people there. The town is very small, but it has few places to eat and stay and is pretty decent for medical school.

Then in the morning, I went in at 10 AM. We got a tour of the school from 10-12 PM. We had lunch with 2 students at 12 PM (they were there to just help, not watch after you). They were very helpful in answering all our questions. Then we had pictures and Financial AID presentation until 2 PM. They started to take us in one at a time for interview (lasted about 20-30 mins for everyone I think). Our tour guide was Angie Bowyer and she was truly amazing. We met many other students and grduate TAs, and also met the President. Everyone was so down to earth and they make WVSOM the school it is. My feeling about the school and town changed throughout the day. I started to love the place after meeting such amazing people and seeing such amazing facilities. Everything from the anatomy lab to the gym was amazing. But the most amazing part are the people there. Everyone is extra nice and it would be a great place to study medicine. They also have these robots in which med students can train on/with. You can see all that during your tour.

As for the interview: It was very laid back. I interviewed with one PhD, DO, and admission member. They asked basic questions such as:

Why DO
Why WVSOM (how did you decide to apply here)
Where have you applied?
Biggest Strength, weaknessses
Hardest Course you have taken
What will be the hardest part about medical school and how will you deal with it?

I think there were more, but I can't remember all. But as you can see, they were basic questions that you should be able to answer if you are serious about Medical school and serious about WVSOM. It is very important that you be yourself. I won't find out whether I got accepted or not for another week, but I loved the school and am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Lesson learned: Don't judge a book by its cover! Love the school, but only after I went through the tour. The only negative about the school is the 50k a year!!

I had the same experience for my interview process. Mostly same questions. There is candy every where you go and its all free. I very much agree, the facilities are awesome, the people great, and its a cozy small town feeling. Also it's a pretty big campus so a lot of walking. But the 50K really kills you. But I dont think that should me a top reason not to attend a school.

It's really easy to see where the tuition money is going though. The anatomy lab is brand new, every group gets a new cadaver for Gross, the 1st and 2nd year lecture halls have 3 huge projector screens and individual stations for everyone, and they have 17 patient simulator robots; even a female robot that gives birth to a baby robot. Pretty cutting edge stuff.

Plus everything is clean, self contained, and there's loads of free parking. Oh, and candy everywhere.

Glad to see you made it back to the Garden state! We had a good group interviewing that day. For some reason I was wicked nervous the whole time which is so unlike me. I hope I wasn't talking a mile-a-minute during the interview!

It's really easy to see where the tuition money is going though. The anatomy lab is brand new, every group gets a new cadaver for Gross, the 1st and 2nd year lecture halls have 3 huge projector screens and individual stations for everyone, and they have 17 patient simulator robots; even a female robot that gives birth to a baby robot. Pretty cutting edge stuff.

Plus everything is clean, self contained, and there's loads of free parking. Oh, and candy everywhere.

Glad to see you made it back to the Garden state! We had a good group interviewing that day. For some reason I was wicked nervous the whole time which is so unlike me. I hope I wasn't talking a mile-a-minute during the interview!

On a bit of a side note, at WVSOM you will actually do the cadaver dissection yourself. I don't know where you are applying, but if dissection is something you are interested in, you should check with the other schools to see if they actually do dissections. For example, I have heard that Marshall does not do dissections, they do prosections (pre dissected bodies).

Here is something else you may not be aware of. At WVSOM, each student receives their own bone box (complete skeleton) for anatomy. I have heard most schools actually require students to share with their anatomy group (which may comprise of 4+ students) or rent them out (depends on the school). You get a lot of resources included in your tuition.

I have an interview on the 21st... anyone else interviewing on this date?

ACCEPTED!!!! This is the happiest moment in my life!

Lizards, did you interview on the 5th of Jan?

Yeah man, I think I interviewed right before you did. Glad to hear that it worked out for both of us!

I'm so excited! I get to rotate through Surgery. Yes!

On a bit of a side note, at WVSOM you will actually do the cadaver dissection yourself. I don't know where you are applying, but if dissection is something you are interested in, you should check with the other schools to see if they actually do dissections. For example, I have heard that Marshall does not do dissections, they do prosections (pre dissected bodies).

Here is something else you may not be aware of. At WVSOM, each student receives their own bone box (complete skeleton) for anatomy. I have heard most schools actually require students to share with their anatomy group (which may comprise of 4+ students) or rent them out (depends on the school). You get a lot of resources included in your tuition.

I am very aware of the dissections. That was one of the first things I found out about Marshall. I was talking to a surgery resident in a Marshall residency and he said that that was unfortunate. Up until I found out about the prosections Marshall was a top pick for me. I'm sure it's a good program, but I have a much better feel about the WVSOM program.

I didn't know about the sharing of Bone Boxes. That would be disappointing. Please share any other nuggets you have. Thanks for the advice!!

Last edited:
SOSA, the surgery club, does mock-practicals prior to each anatomy exam to help you prepare. It's kind of tradition, the second years helping the new first years, as they were helped by the class before them.

Sweet. I'm totally joining Surgery club. I didn't know such a thing existed. Awesome.

hi guys ^^

Just wanted to make sure the secondary essay is still the same as previously posted?

--Please state your reasons for wishing to become an Osteopathic Physician and why you feel WVSOM should consider you as a member of this year’s class.

Also, is there any page, word, or character limits?

thanks so much.