-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WVSOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012
Started by ShyRem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For those already accepted, how long after your status changed online did it take you to get info in the mail such as when deposits are due and other details? Thanks!!
For those already accepted, how long after your status changed online did it take you to get info in the mail such as when deposits are due and other details? Thanks!!
I got my letter on Friday after my status changed but I live in Utah so it takes a little longer for it to come across the country.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my letter on Friday after my status changed but I live in Utah so it takes a little longer for it to come across the country.
The Friday the same week after your status changed? It has been over a week for me now and I only live on the East Coast. I guess if I don't receive anything by Friday then I'll give them a call to make sure they have the right address and what not.
Thanks!
For those already accepted, how long after your status changed online did it take you to get info in the mail such as when deposits are due and other details? Thanks!!
Changed online on Tuesday, letter came in mail the next Monday (I live in WV)
Primary received 9/29,got interview invite today.What are chances of acceptance post interview? Can somebody share what the interview is like?
I believe that if they offer you an interview, your chances are 100% unless you do something in the interview that raises a question or contradicts what you put down on your primary or secondary. Since they only offer secondaries to students whom they plan on interviewing, I would bet they are pretty interested in what you potentially have to offer. Just my 2 cents😎
Primary received 9/29,got interview invite today.What are chances of acceptance post interview? Can somebody share what the interview is like?
I was there 11/4 for an interview, and maybe some can confirm the following stats, but one of the admissions counselors told us the following: ~3500 applicants, ~400 interviewed, ~200 matriculate (not sure how many are accepted), but you have good chances of getting in if you interview.
My interview day experience: 4 of us were asked to arrive by 8 for the first round of interviews for the day. After a brief introduction by the admissions staff and a short video about OPM interviews began. Interviews were scheduled every half hour, though no one in our group went over 20 minutes it seemed. It is a panel interview with a DO, Ph.D., and admissions counselor. The interview is very relaxed, and each panel member takes turns asking questions. The DO asks a lot of questions about why you want to pursue osteopathic medicine, your explanation of osteo med, your exposure to osteo med, etc. After we finished interviews the afternoon group arrived around 10:30 and we all went on a tour with one of the admissions counselors. You see the entire campus including anatomy lab (very impressive), OPM lab, book store, library, lecture halls, clinical simulation center. Lunch with 3 students is in the alumni center, wraps and chips. After lunch, you go back to the admissions center, and then over to the media office to take your picture for your student ID so you have it immediately if you get accepted. After pictures, there's closing comments by the admissions counselor you have been with all day, and then the morning interview group leaves and the afternoon group has their interviews with 3 different panel members. Morning group leaves around 2pm and afternoon group starts interviews around 2pm.
Thoughts: Facilities were incredible. The anatomy lab was great, 5 students to a cadaver and they do the dissection. MS1's and MS2's have their own lecture hall where they take all their lecture-based classes. Students have an assigned seat where they can keep personal effects (snacks, school supplies, a picture of the beach, etc.). Students get their own personal laptop with all the necessary software for classes that they get to keep after graduation (Lenovo is the brand I think). Everyone was incredibly friendly. They really portray a family/community atmosphere. The students we had lunch with were great and answered every question. It was a great interview day overall. The admissions committee meets every Tuesday to make decisions so the decision turnaround is pretty quick.
Changed online on Tuesday, letter came in mail the next Monday (I live in WV)
Congratulations on getting accepted to WVSOM! I noticed you were accepted at Marshall as well. I was wondering what Marshall said about the status of their medical school? Did they tell you about the security of their program? I am curious because I have a friend interviewing there and she is anxious about the program.
Interview invite for 1/23. Isn't this date really far off? Should I be concerned?
Out of curiosity, when did the school receive your primary? And no I don't think you should be concerned. An admissions counselor told me they conduct interviews as late as April.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any current students comment on whether or not they are pleased with the faculty? It sounds like there is a great relationship between students and the administration, but how are the professors? Also, is the histology course digital/computerized? Thanks to all.
Interview invite for 1/23. Isn't this date really far off? Should I be concerned?
I'm also interviewing on 1/23! Very excited. I'm not worried at all, since I've heard of many people interviewing up to around March or April. I'm coming from California, and it seems like plane tickets to all the surrounding airports are pretty expensive. What is the best airport to fly into?
Last edited:
I'm also interviewing on 1/23! Very excited. I'm not worried at all, since I've heard of many people interviewing up to around March or April. I'm coming from California, and it seems like plane tickets to all the surrounding airports are pretty expensive. What is the best airport to fly into?
Congrats on the interview. There is Greenbrier airport that has service on Delta and Continental only. I flew from Boston, layover at New York JFK, to Lewisberg on Delta ~$320, rented a car (I'm over 25y/o substantially more expensive if you are younger) from enterprise for a day ~$40, and stayed at quality inn ~$65...an expensive endeavor none the less. A girl in my group flew in from San Francisco and stayed an extra night to get a cheaper flight out. FYI: there is only 1 taxi cab in Lewisberg so either reserve it soon or plan on getting a rental car. There is no shuttle service to the campus. Good luck!
Congratulations on getting accepted to WVSOM! I noticed you were accepted at Marshall as well. I was wondering what Marshall said about the status of their medical school? Did they tell you about the security of their program? I am curious because I have a friend interviewing there and she is anxious about the program.
I interviewed mid-October and was accepted a couple of weeks ago. Admissions and students all seem to think that they are in no real trouble. Cindy said that most of the things they had been cited for were actually in place, but had to be in place for at least a year to count. Most of the problems were things like diversity, mental health counselor that didn't also evaluate students, etc. Nothing really about their curriculum. Personally, I'm not worried. 🙂
I submitted my primary in late September.Out of curiosity, when did the school receive your primary? And no I don't think you should be concerned. An admissions counselor told me they conduct interviews as late as April.
Can any current students comment on whether or not they are pleased with the faculty? It sounds like there is a great relationship between students and the administration, but how are the professors? Also, is the histology course digital/computerized? Thanks to all.
I'm a first year so I have limited exposure, but so far the faculty have been amazing! They are extremely available to help outside of class. Several professors have met with me on the weekend on short notice to help answer questions one on one. And whether you like it or not they are very involved in other ways outside of the classroom, learning societies, clubs, even the community. I don't think I've ever had a request for an appointment denied.
The Anatomy faculty are fairly young (compared to many institutions) which I was a little skeptical about at first, however I've actually really enjoyed it because they are excited to be teaching and very high energy in lab which makes it a lot of fun (well as much fun as you can have while you're trying to memorize every aspect of the upper limb in 24 hours). There is a little bit of a "hazing" environment when it comes to Anatomy, but its very mild.
As for OMT, the professors are extremely knowledgeable and available. Though they do have a slight chip on their shoulder regarding everyone skiping their classes (since they are always at 8am the morning before a huge anatomy exam) and not taking the OPP tests as seriously, but if you really want to learn OMT they will go above and beyond to help.
Hope this answers some questions...
I submitted my primary in late September.
Thanks! This helps me approximate my timeline!
I interviewed mid-October and was accepted a couple of weeks ago. Admissions and students all seem to think that they are in no real trouble. Cindy said that most of the things they had been cited for were actually in place, but had to be in place for at least a year to count. Most of the problems were things like diversity, mental health counselor that didn't also evaluate students, etc. Nothing really about their curriculum. Personally, I'm not worried. 🙂
Congrats on Marshall, Fri727! Had I not wanted to be an osteopath, I would have applied there, but I think you know this already. 😉
What form can you send the secondary fee? personal check, cashiers check, cash (...not), ???.
This is about Marshall, not WVSOM. I looked into this quite a bit. Academically, it is a solid program. They have a good reputation among residencies in the region and this shouldn't change that. There were about ~10 issues revolving around the probation, the only one I was concerned about was some students felt there was not enough patient volume in the clinical rotations for the number of students in the program. Talking to current and former students they said it would be nice to have one more hospital to rotate at but they had no problems.Congratulations on getting accepted to WVSOM! I noticed you were accepted at Marshall as well. I was wondering what Marshall said about the status of their medical school? Did they tell you about the security of their program? I am curious because I have a friend interviewing there and she is anxious about the program.
Other issues revolved around lack of diversity, scholarships, counseling opportunities, ect. The probation could ding the reputation amoung residecies a little but since it did not revolved around academic issues I'm not concerned.
In general, I was concerned about the probation at first but now its a non-issue.
Last edited:
What form can you send the secondary fee? personal check, cashiers check, cash (...not), ???.
I sent in a personal check with no problems.
Great, my interview is 11/18...so excited!
good luck! be relaxed and wear comfortable shoes, lots of walking on the tour
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ACCEPTED!! interviewed 11/07
Congrats on the invite cl822! I"m in Baltimore, so I think I may actually drive.
Congrats to you too! You are so very lucky. I can't get too much further from West Virginia than California...needless to say, that distance of traveling is wiping out my bank account!!
Interview invite for 1/27! 🙂
For anyone who is curious, they received my primary on October 7th, and when I called yesterday they said they were 4-5 weeks behind.
Congrats By the way....... 🙂
🙁 looks like its going to be a bit of a wait for me. oh well, what I get for waiting until that last minute. Sigh........
Bird Lady, were you IS or OOS?
Interview invite for 1/27! 🙂
For anyone who is curious, they received my primary on October 7th, and when I called yesterday they said they were 4-5 weeks behind.
Bird Lady, when did you receive your interview invite?
I am a second year and I will confirm that the professors here are exceptionally awesome. They love teaching and keep their doors open. Most of the faculty live within the vicinity of the school and will come onto campus on the weekends to meet with you if you request it. A lot of the professors that teach here once taught at big institutions, but left because they wanted to be in a teaching facility, not a research facility.
Yes, histology is digital. You should also know that exams are computerized (to prepare you for boards!) and 99.9% of lectures are done with powerpoint. I hope you all are computer friendly!
Yes, histology is digital. You should also know that exams are computerized (to prepare you for boards!) and 99.9% of lectures are done with powerpoint. I hope you all are computer friendly!
Accepted here also. So out of curiosity, for the people who are accepted here and plan on going here, where is everyone from, so I know a little bit about my incoming class.
Chicago, IL
Chicago, IL
Congrats By the way....... 🙂
🙁 looks like its going to be a bit of a wait for me. oh well, what I get for waiting until that last minute. Sigh........
Bird Lady, were you IS or OOS?
OOS
Bird Lady, when did you receive your interview invite?
On November 16th, my online status changed sometime in the late afternoon and I got the email with the details.
Interviewed on 11/16, and got my acceptance today!!!! IM SO EXCITEDDDD🙂
Interviewed 11/2, accepted 11/8. Super excited. Nice to know I'm not the only Chicagoan. When I interviewed we had about 5/9 people from Michigan.
Start up a facebook group for WVSOM class of 2016!
I attended the open house this past weekend. I absolutely love this school. Admissions said my mcat is a bit lower than what they look for but not to lose hope. Ahhhhhhhh im dying to interview here! Staying hopeful. Such an amazing school!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I attended the open house this past weekend. I absolutely love this school. Admissions said my mcat is a bit lower than what they look for but not to lose hope. Ahhhhhhhh im dying to interview here! Staying hopeful. Such an amazing school!
What was the range they said was "lower than usual"? you don't have to post yours but a +-1. Thanks
I have an interview at WVSOM on November 30th starting at 10am!! I'm super nervous since this is my first interview! Any tips?!
Its super chill. You'll be fine. Everyone is really really nice, and dont feel bad if the interview ends early, or if they dont ask you that many questions. My interview was over in like 20 minutes...and I thought that I bombed it. I found out that they accepted me the next day. Good luck!
Do NOT worry too much about this. I had a friend with a 21 (after a retake) get in, and she's now an MS-1. If the rest of your application is bangin, this isn't something you should stress too much about. 🙂I attended the open house this past weekend. I absolutely love this school. Admissions said my mcat is a bit lower than what they look for but not to lose hope. Ahhhhhhhh im dying to interview here! Staying hopeful. Such an amazing school!
I have an option to choose between NSU-COM and WVSOM...I am torn between both of the schools and I am wondering if anyone could help me out. Pros and cons of both schools would be awesome. I also want to know how WVSOM's curriculum works...is it systems based, etc Also, if anyone has any info on rotations sites that would help a great deal (I want to ultimately get a rotation spot/residency in NY/NJ). Thanks.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 130
- Views
- 28K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 373
- Views
- 81K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 40K
- Replies
- 376
- Views
- 77K
