Yale MPH stats (acceptance rate, average GPA/GRE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure on the exact sizes but I think its something along the lines of:

Biggest:
CDE and EMD
Policy

Middle:
Management
Environmental

Smallest:
Biostats
SBS

My advice: Apply where you belong and you have a better chance of being accepted than trying to play games with applying to concentrations just because of their size and the effect you think that will have on you getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure on the exact sizes but I think its something along the lines of:

Biggest:
CDE and EMD
Policy

Middle:
Management
Environmental

Smallest:
Biostats
SBS

My advice: Apply where you belong and you have a better chance of being accepted than trying to play games with applying to concentrations just because of their size and the effect you think that will have on you getting in.
Thanks for the advice Deem23. Did you say you are a current MPH student in Yale? What year are you and what are you concentrating in? What you think about the program?

And do you still recall how long the review process for application was? I received my application completion email from the school around 2.5 weeks ago.

I am a first year in Health Policy. I really really like it here. I got into a bunch of programs and I'm def happy I came here (granted I may be having just as wonderful of a time at U Washington, Michigan..etc but I can only say what I know). I really like it here at Yale. Its a pretty incredible place to be for anyone.

As far as how my process went, I designated right before Christmas and heard back the first week of Feb.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a first year in Health Policy. I really really like it here. I got into a bunch of programs and I'm def happy I came here (granted I may be having just as wonderful of a time at U Washington, Michigan..etc but I can only say what I know). I really like it here at Yale. Its a pretty incredible place to be for anyone.

As far as how my process went, I designated right before Christmas and heard back the first week of Feb.

Thanks, and so do you see a lot of fresh graduates in the department?

I'm applying for social and behavioral track and environmental health track. Do you think fresh graduates will have a higher chance as compared to Health Policy, Management, etc?

Can't speak for Yale but generally smaller concentration=more competitive.

Deem gave you some great advice.
(In my opinion) If you apply to Yale just because you want to go there and not because you are genuinely interested in SBS you are going to have a miserable 2 years.

Can't speak for Yale but generally smaller concentration=more competitive.

Deem gave you some great advice.
(In my opinion) If you apply to Yale just because you want to go there and not because you are genuinely interested in SBS you are going to have a miserable 2 years.

Hey JMM051, thanks for the advice.

I am interested in SBS and environmental health because of my science background (biology major) and I've taken a couple similar courses (psychology, sociology, anthropology, etc) and environmental health classes that ignite my interest in these 2 tracks. I'm also applying for the global health concentration because I like to learn how healthcare works in different parts of the world and how health organizations get together to fight infectious diseases and promote health education.

Hi Deem23,

May I ask what the other track you picked was when you were applying (since we could choose up to 2 options)? And is health policy your 1st choice?

So to answer your first question from the other post, yes there is a nice little contingent of us "right form undergraders" however overall I would say we are a minority.

Policy was my first choice. To be completely honest, I don't really remember but I think SBS may have been my second choice (if I had one at all). The truth is, if I didn't get into policy I probably wouldn't have gone here because I did get into some great policy tracks elsewhere and that is what I want to be doing.

Hi Deem23,

May I ask what the other track you picked was when you were applying (since we could choose up to 2 options)? And is health policy your 1st choice?

So to answer your first question from the other post, yes there is a nice little contingent of us "right form undergraders" however overall I would say we are a minority.

Policy was my first choice. To be completely honest, I don't really remember but I think SBS may have been my second choice (if I had one at all). The truth is, if I didn't get into policy I probably wouldn't have gone here because I did get into some great policy tracks elsewhere and that is what I want to be doing.

Hey Deem23, sorry I am still a bit confused. So do you mean fresh undergraduates would be a minority in the MPH program in Yale (or in other words, most MPH students have post-undergrad work experiences)?

I thought only the advanced 1 year program would have more graduate applicants...and the traditional 2-year one is for undergrad applicants...

Hey Deem23, sorry I am still a bit confused. So do you mean fresh undergraduates would be a minority in the MPH program in Yale (or in other words, most MPH students have post-undergrad work experiences)?

I thought only the advanced 1 year program would have more graduate applicants...and the traditional 2-year one is for undergrad applicants...

I think Deem23 meant most in the 2yr program had some work experience post undergrad before beginning the program. Not necessarily that they had other graduate degrees.

I think Deem23 meant most in the 2yr program had some work experience post undergrad before beginning the program. Not necessarily that they had other graduate degrees.

Truth. I think this fact applies to most MPH programs as well.

Truth. I think this fact applies to most MPH programs as well.

I see. I hope that won't put me in a bad situation then, since I am graduating this Dec and want to start MPH next fall, my only work experiences are an internship in this spring plus several part-time jobs during college, sigh...

Maybe that's why I got rejected by Dartmouth (only 25% of their MPH students are fresh grads)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to continually rag on Yale (it's quite the opposite actually since I'm applying to YSPH as one of my top choices) but I was noticing that Yale has over 16 billion dollars in endowment where as other comparable universities have only 1 or 2 billion (many of them much less than this).

The only university in the US that has more money in endowment is Harvard. For a Public Health School that has been around as long as Yale, and belongs to a university that has more funding than 8 of the schools ranked above it combined, i find it interesting that they choose to keep their program relatively small.

Do they simply just use more of their money on the law school and med school to maintain their high rankings? Does anyone know what exactly it means for a university to have X Billion dollars in endowment? I've been taking this to mean that Yale has $16 Billion sitting in the bank.

Again, I don't mean to put down YSPH. That would be the exact opposite of my intent. I just want to be more informed on a school that I see myself attending.

I don't mean to continually rag on Yale (it's quite the opposite actually since I'm applying to YSPH as one of my top choices) but I was noticing that Yale has over 16 billion dollars in endowment where as other comparable universities have only 1 or 2 billion (many of them much less than this).

The only university in the US that has more money in endowment is Harvard. For a Public Health School that has been around as long as Yale, and belongs to a university that has more funding than 8 of the schools ranked above it combined, i find it interesting that they choose to keep their program relatively small.

Do they simply just use more of their money on the law school and med school to maintain their high rankings? Does anyone know what exactly it means for a university to have X Billion dollars in endowment? I've been taking this to mean that Yale has $16 Billion sitting in the bank.

Again, I don't mean to put down YSPH. That would be the exact opposite of my intent. I just want to be more informed on a school that I see myself attending.

Endowment is not a liquid asset. Endowment is used more for infrastructure and business purposes rather than the academic undertakings of the school itself. Generally speaking, every school has a mission or objectives on a decade-to-decade basis and set out to accomplish those, but the goals are more to do with a university's world-wide influence more so than training students. Usually, the principal of an endowment is never touched.

Also, endowment has no bearing on student enrollment. Just because Harvard has the largest endowment of all universities, it doesn't mean they're going to start accepting 50,000 students a year. Just as Yale, Princeton, etc. aren't going to open up the school just because they have a lot of money.

As regards to Yale, they don't have more students because the faculty is pretty small. Why is the faculty small? Yale doesn't view YSPH as being an area that needs to be big. Why is that? Only the trustees know.

Also, endowment has no bearing on student enrollment. Just because Harvard has the largest endowment of all universities, it doesn't mean they're going to start accepting 50,000 students a year. Just as Yale, Princeton, etc. aren't going to open up the school just because they have a lot of money.

I was referring to the graduate level, not undergraduate. I'm well aware a large endowment will not encourage a university, like Yale/Harvard, to maximize undergraduate enrollment. However, does it have any bearing on the number of graduate students they can take in? Perhaps more so with PhD's who usually get a stipend.

I was referring to the graduate level, not undergraduate. I'm well aware a large endowment will not encourage a university, like Yale/Harvard, to maximize undergraduate enrollment. However, does it have any bearing on the number of graduate students they can take in? Perhaps more so with PhD's who usually get a stipend.

Only if part of their endowment has been allocated for such a purpose (usually it's not unless there's a stipulation on the stipend/funding package that says it's a trustees fellowship or something to that ilk, which actually does come on the university's endowment). In sciences, PhD students are funded by a faculty member's project grant, training grant, or some other grant--never on the university's dime (except, again, for when it's explicitly stated as a trustee/endowment fellowship). I'm unaware how funding for humanities or social science students are handled, though.

I would also venture a guess that increasing enrollment to any significant degree gets rid of the exclusivity factor. I'm sure that plays at least a small role in smaller sizes/selectivity to some level.

thanks for your explanations Stories!

There's an informative wikipedia article on the pros and cons of large University endowments if anyone's interested.

Can anyone shed some light on the YSPH Rolling Admissions Process?

So on their information PDF Yale says they make decisions on a rolling basis. And from last years acceptances thread it looked like they usually got back to applicants in about 4 weeks, though some seemed to have waited a bit longer.

I remember reading on the YSPH website (before it got a makeover) that YSPH makes their first round of decisions in December. However, I can't seem to find this same fact on it's new website. Would anyone know if YSPH has started making any decisions?

Also I believe a nice PDF that one of our members posted (Thanks to whoever posted that! The breakdown of stats has been oh so fun to read through) lists YSPH Acceptance rate at 39.7%

Is their admissions rate higher earlier in the application cycle and eventually becomes lower, averaging out to that percentage?

I know that they have started making decisions - I received mine on the 24th. I was accepted to the Social and Behavioral Sciences department and the Global Health Track. My SOPHAS app was sent out in the Nov 23rd mailing.

I don't know about acceptance rates early in the season v.s later!

Ugh PHProspect you are so lucky! Congratulations :) I would give anything to be accepted by Yale just in time for Christmas. What a nice holidays you must have had (if you celebrate anything that is).

My application was verified/mailed out on 11/23 too but my final reference finished her letter on 12/1 and my application was "revised" on 12/08. So perhaps I was being impatient by expecting to hear back around the holidays.

I applied for a different track anyways (Health Policy); I guess different programs meet to review applications at varying times.

I was accepted to Yale MPH in Environmental Health Sciences on 12/22. Also accepted into Emory MSPH Environmental Health/Epidemiology on 12/22. So happy to know something. Still waiting on Harvard and Columbia.

GRE: 630 (V), 710 (Q)
2 Bachelors degrees, previous healthcare Master's degree, 1 coauthored article in toxicology- but from 10 years ago. 5+ years healthcare experience, 2 short-term international health mission trips to Central America, current work in public health on research team.
Overall GPA: 3.5
Master's GPA: 3.92

I know that they have started making decisions - I received mine on the 24th. I was accepted to the Social and Behavioral Sciences department and the Global Health Track. My SOPHAS app was sent out in the Nov 23rd mailing.

I don't know about acceptance rates early in the season v.s later!

Hi PHprospect,

Congratz on your acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats? And are you a fresh grad?

Feel free to check out my stats on the very 1st post.

Cheers,
Chriskyk

No problem.

I had a 3.3 GPA from a New England Liberal Arts School, with a major in Sociology.

My GREs were 690V 750Q, 5.0 AW

I will have spent 3 years in the Peace Corps by the time I start grad school (in Africa and South America - I was evacuated from Africa following a coup d'etat)

so far I've been accepted to Emory (Global Health), and Yale. I had a phone interview with HPM at University of Michigan last week, and my interviewer told me not to worry about being accepted, though that isn't official yet!

I'm waiting to hear from a number of other schools as well.

Good luck to everyone!

okay i'm going to officially increase my "level of freaking out" to 10+ if Health Policy people start hearing before me. (Right now i'd say i'm at 4 or 5 on the freaking-out-over-decisions-meter)

I received my acceptance letter to Yale's Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases division on 12-27-10. It was sent out from their offices on 12-22-10. The confirmation that they had all portions of my application was sent out to me sometime in November.

Good luck to everyone!!

I received my acceptance letter to Yale's Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases division on 12-27-10. It was sent out from their offices on 12-22-10. The confirmation that they had all portions of my application was sent out to me sometime in November.

Good luck to everyone!!

Hi BellePH,

Congratz on your acceptance! You must be freaking out!

So do you get notified from Yale via email or snail-mail?

Cheers,
Chriskyk

Hi BellePH,

Congratz on your acceptance! You must be freaking out!

So do you get notified from Yale via email or snail-mail?

Cheers,
Chriskyk

Thanks Chriskyk! I most definitely am! To answer your question, I got notified via snail-mail. It was a small envelope with an offer of admission and a sheet for me to return with my decision. The letter said more information would be forthcoming.

Thanks Chriskyk! I most definitely am! To answer your question, I got notified via snail-mail. It was a small envelope with an offer of admission and a sheet for me to return with my decision. The letter said more information would be forthcoming.

Cool, cool, enjoy your best New Year present haha.

Do you mind sharing your stats? And did you apply straight from undergrad?

This question goes out to Deem23 (who I believe is currently in the Health Policy MPH track at Yale) but anyone who has some helpful insight is free to reply!

I have little to no stats/econ experience other than taking Stats AP in high school. As a potential Yale Health Policy MPH student, would taking macro/micro econ and a biostats class this spring at my State U be of any great benefit to me? I feel like having no exposure to these fields would put me at a disadvantage.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
This question goes out to Deem23 (who I believe is currently in the Health Policy MPH track at Yale) but anyone who has some helpful insight is free to reply!

I have little to no stats/econ experience other than taking Stats AP in high school. As a potential Yale Health Policy MPH student, would taking macro/micro econ and a biostats class this spring at my State U be of any great benefit to me? I feel like having no exposure to these fields would put me at a disadvantage.

I think taking those classes would definitely prepare you for the future curriculum in public health, since you'll be dealing a lot of numbers in health policy.

Heard anything from Yale yet man?

Nope. I got my "application complete" email from YSPH on 12/10/10 so it would have been too early to hear back in December.

If you look on grad cafe you can see when it was people heard back from Yale (and most other public health programs)

So I compiled a last of common dates people heard back from Yale last application cycle (2009-2010) and they were: 12/27, 1/25, 2/19, 3/3, 3/15 . ( +/- a few days for each date, probably due to varying geographic proximity to New Haven, CT)

And also most people heard back around 4 weeks after receiving the "application complete" email. But there were a noticeable number of folks who had to wait 2 or even 3 months before hearing anything.

It might be best to take courses that interest you this spring, since you'll get all of your public health material in grad school. AP statistics is probably a sufficient introduction, so you don't need to do it again this year. You may not need to take any economics in grad school, and policy courses, for the most part, don't involve much math.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice espre, chris

Since i'm an employee of my State U, I can take evening classes for a marginal cost. A lot of the Public Health Journals seem to use statistical analysis and it's been 5+ years since my junior year of high school, lol. An Applied Biostats course might be useful in the future.

I'm actually just interested in Economics, I always watch those news talkshows where they banter about the demise of our economy, china being a beezy about currency hoarding, Europe going bankrupt etc. and wish I had at least a small understanding of what it is they are talking about.

Hello All..
Happy New Years,
Can someone comment on my admission chances? I too am applying to Yale in Health Policy as my first choice, and Health Management as my second choice.
I'm also applying to JHU (MSPH), Harvard (M.S.), Columbia (MPH), and Emory (MPH).
Undergrad: University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
Concentration: Health Care Management & Policy
Gender/Race: Hispanic Male (I think gender is important because the average public health class is comprised of 75% females.)
GPA: 3.0
GRE: V:490 Q: 710 AW: 4.5
Applying Straight from Undergrad
Internship Experience in Hospital Administration at Bellevue Hospital Center, NYC and a plethora of extracurricular activities.

Yale and Columbia are my top choices.

I say take stats.

I asked the admission admin at YSPH and she "strongly recommend a basic statistics course," particularly one that uses SAS.

I think taking stats is good in general for public health but the biostats everyone has to take their first year is pretty basic. I actually got exempted from my first semester with my intro stats class from undergrad (will need to take second semester stats though).

It certainly can't hurt...will it help you get in? I don't know about that but it will certainly be a nice thing to have a background in.

Econ is a big part of health policy (most of the faculty are health economists in the dept) and having at least a working knowledge of econ is def a good thing. I wasn't a huge econ guy in undergrad but I took a few courses and it is definitely beneficial.

This being said, if you did get in and didn't take any of these classes, I don't think you would be woefully behind the curb or anything. The econ and stats that HP majors have to take is pretty basic stuff.

Hi all,

So I'm a bit worried now since I received my application completion email on 11/16/10 but still haven't heard anything from Yale yet. Does that mean it's bad news for me?

Did any students (current MPH candidates or applicants) receive their acceptances after over a month upon their submission of their apps?

Thanks,
Chriskyk

Hi all,

So I'm a bit worried now since I received my application completion email on 11/16/10 but still haven't heard anything from Yale yet. Does that mean it's bad news for me?

Did any students (current MPH candidates or applicants) receive their acceptances after over a month upon their submission of their apps?

Thanks,
Chriskyk

By the way, I live out of US, would that explain a bit of the delay?

thanks Deem23 and Veggie Monster, I most likely will take 2 evening classes.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chriskyk

Unless someone here is on the adcom (which they aren't)...there is no way for any of us to know. Just chill man. You'll find out when you find out. Different departments move at different speeds and such, I assume different applicants take different amounts of consideration and get their applications read at different times.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you sit on here and play the "i gave in my app on this date and this person hear back on this date but I haven' heard back by this date...game." Remember., the holidays just happened too and that slows things down.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chriskyk

Don't worry too much or feel too bad. I also received my application completion email on 11/16 and have not heard anything either.

Cool, cool, enjoy your best New Year present haha.

Do you mind sharing your stats? And did you apply straight from undergrad?

Hi! Yes, I did apply straight out of undergrad. I just graduated in May of 2010.

Last edited:
Congratulations! It's certainly a solid option; I very much like this place. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions during the decision process.

:highfive:

People hearing from YSPH Health Policy and Administration officially increases my freaking out level!

Intlhealth2010: what concentration did u apply to? and when was ur app completed?

I got my acceptance from Yale's BSHE program with a global health concentration! So hyped right now haha. Here're my stats:

GPA: 3.38, Biology major
GRE: 460V 760Q 4.0W
Accepted: Emory (BSHE), Yale (BSHE with global health)
Rejected: Dartmouth
Waiting: USC and NYU

thanks Werd. i do have a few questions, i'll be in contact with u in the near future.

Wharton, don't freak out. be patient, i'm sure you'll receive good news.

Epi, i got into Health Policy. YSPH told me my app was complete 12/10/10. It took a little over a month to hear back.

Chris, congrats! we can all take a deep breath now :)

chriskyk, congratulations!!! I know you were really psyched about this one. And, it all finally paid off! Good luck with everything. And thanks for keeping us posted about your status!