Yale MPH stats (acceptance rate, average GPA/GRE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats chriskyk. I know how much you've been wanting to hear from them. I guess you know where you'll be going in the Fall.

You guys that got accepted recently.....were you notified by mail or email? I hate having to check both my email and mail constantly. I just want to know where I'll be in the Fall so I can find somewhere to live and funding. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have received an acceptance within the past few days, are you located on the east coast?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone whos got in major congrats! Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions as well.

Also...BSHE? Do you mean SBS, Chiskyk? We don't have a BSHE division.

Hey guys thanks for the blessings! Yeah it's been a long road and I still can't believe that I'll be going to an Ivy-League for school!!!!

And yeah I got into SBS haha

Hey guys thanks for the blessings! Yeah it's been a long road and I still can't believe that I'll be going to an Ivy-League for school!!!!

And yeah I got into SBS haha

Congratulations! Are you going to the admitted students day? I am thrilled for you!

Hi whether I'm going or not depends on if I could get off from my work cuz I'm doing my internship in NYC.

How about you BellePH, are you going?

Hi whether I'm going or not depends on if I could get off from my work cuz I'm doing my internship in NYC.

How about you BellePH, are you going?

Yes! Definitely planning to check it out and get a feel for everything/meet some of the professors.

Nice which track did you get into again? I'm in SBS

Hey all,

New to SDN, short time reader....I was wondering if those of you matriculating at YSPH could reflect on a few of the questions below. I was accepted for AP MPH Bio and Epi....Still debating my final destination, but really like the tangential personality Yale seems to have now from previous pretentious roots. Anyways, wondering if you could enlighten me to a few of the following.

1) Quality of teaching

2) Overall Quality of professors across departments

3) Amount of interaction between YSPH and the Hospital and its staff

4) Overall experience thus far.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Also someone on here early with ties to Michigan MPH suggested that Yale MPH might be living off of its famous undergrad name.

1) In your eyes is YSPH striving to be one of the best programs, or is it content with its current status within the field

2) I noticed that on YSPH website, they have committed themselves to a five year revitalization plan....Have the changes been apparent from year to year?

3) Although USNWR seems to rule the world, How is YSPH viewed within public health, as well as how they are viewed by other schools within Yale.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted!

Stats: 770 Q, 640 V, 4W
BS at USC in Occupational therapy (3.4 GPA)
MA at USC in Occupational therapy (3.6 GPA)
Worked as a clinician for 3.5 years in Nor Cal

I received my acceptance letter this past Thursday. I am sooo excited! I still haven't committed, but definitely top of my list =)

The admissions department at Yale put me in touch with a faculty member from my department which is great...but he doesn't share any of the same research interests as I stated in my application. Is this standard? Do they just have one designated faculty member who talks to admitted students per department or do they usually try to match admitted students with professors with similar research interests? It would seem like the later would be a better idea and it’s what the other schools have been doing...it's kind of disappointing. There are several faculty members whose research matches mine.

may, when did you submit your application? I'm anxiously awaiting my decision from Yale.

Very good point Int'l health. I see why the name, summer internships, and connections post grad are appealing about Yale. But if I am going to lay down that kind of cash, I would like the teaching I am receiving to reflect debt I am accruing. Anyone else currently in New Haven care to weigh in?

Hey all!

I've just recently started looking at all these grad school posts and they're really helpful! I also applied to Yale for MPH in Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases (1st choice) and Chronic Disease Epidemiology (2nd choice). So far, I've gotten into Pitt, Tulane and Minnesota. Still waiting on Harvard, Yale and Emory. So far, my top choice is Pitt because of their Infectious Disease/Microbiology MS program. Here are my stats:

GPA 3.3 from small liberal arts college in California
GRE 690Q, 5AW
BS in Biology, August 2010 (I finished in 3 years, so I've only just turned 21)

I've studied abroad in Costa Rica through a biological field studies program (studied monkeys in the rainforest) and participated in Semester at Sea

I also have public health fieldwork and fellowship experience in India, Ghana, Thailand, Laos, Los Angeles, Tijuana and New Orleans

I worked as a research assistant in a cardiac stem cell lab as an undergrad anddd other than that, I've been a campus associate for multiple organizations, including Amnesty International and Catholic Relief Services.

My completed application was sent out to Yale on 12/29 and I got my application completed email on 1/6. I'm really into Yale because they have some professors doing HIV/AIDS research in Russia, and I've just started picking up the Russian language.

Alright everyone, hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions - congratulations to those who have already heard =] I'll keep my fingers crossed and eyes on the mailbox!

Last edited:
could Deem, Werd, or Stories chime in on the questions I have above? I am deciding on where to end up......really like what I am hearing/reading about Yale....but the price is bling bling.....its not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to know that paying extra money would provide better teaching etc...thanks much for the help

could Deem, Werd, or Stories chime in on the questions I have above? I am deciding on where to end up......really like what I am hearing/reading about Yale....but the price is bling bling.....its not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to know that paying extra money would provide better teaching etc...thanks much for the help

I don't just think YSPH is trying to be the best programs...I very clearly think it is one of the best programs, regardless of what the incredibly flawed USNWR ranking say (which has been discussed about a million times ad nausiem on here). I'm confused as to what you mean by "status in the field."

I am convinced I am getting opportunities and exposure to things here at Yale that I would not have gotten elsewhere. The Yale name means something for a reason and I think that effect is tangible while not at all compromising the quality of my education.

I've only been here for 1 semester so I can't really comment on the "5 year revitalization plan" and I'm not quite sure how we are viewed by other schools at Yale...I don't think people are that petty to really make this question even relevant. I know plenty of people who have worked across schools (including myself) with Med students, law students, forestry students, management students, undergrads etc etc. Plus, at YSPH you can take classes anywhere.

I think the quality of the education I'm getting is pretty great for the most part. No one is ever going to be 100% satisfied with all of their classes...right? Overall though, absolutely no major complaints.

I know you want all the answers but you really have to check it out and see whats best for you. I got into schools ranked much higher on the USNWR rankings (UW, Columbia, UTexas, Pitt...and yes...even Michigan) and I decided to come here so that has to speak for something right? But remember, what worked for me might not work for you. I loved the vibe at YSPH. You might think somewhere else fits you better. When it gets down to it, fit should be the most importnat thing. If no one at YSPH is doing things that interest you or you can go somewhere you believe is comparable for cheaper, maybe you don't come here.

Also, unless you are going to somewhere in-state or are getting big money in scholarships, YSPH is not exorbitantly expensive...It probably would have cost me more to go to Michigan out of state.

Last edited:
Very good point Int'l health. I see why the name, summer internships, and connections post grad are appealing about Yale. But if I am going to lay down that kind of cash, I would like the teaching I am receiving to reflect debt I am accruing. Anyone else currently in New Haven care to weigh in?

Are you coming from a liberal arts school? If so, do not expect the caliber of teaching at *ANY* grad school to even come close. Liberal arts colleges place a very strong emphasis on the teaching component. Research institutions (basically, every PH graduate school) is focused on research as a means of teaching, not classroom learning. The experience is going to be dramatically different.

All my friends from liberal arts college (who went to either BU or Yale) have voiced their opinions with the way schools have taught. This is because the experience is so drastically different. If you're coming from another large research institution, then you know what to expect already. It's not going to be a lot different--what will be different is the campus resources, faculty research interests, and established research programs.

Note how I didn't mention would it be worth your tuition dollars for just the teaching? Probably not because it's probably not going to be profoundly different from one school to another, but what the university can provide you is a lot of opportunity to explore the research side of public health, get an education that is focused on quantitative methods, and provide you an intimate classmate and faculty relationship.

I really appreciate the time you took to answer my myriad of questions. I indeed did come from a liberal arts college, and I have heard the relative lack of emphasis on teaching in grad school in comparison to undergrad. So as of now the two programs I am deciding between at this moment are UNC and Yale. Still waiting on UMN, JHU, and Harvard

I really like the intimacy that most of SDN members talk about when considering Yale; class size, teacher availability, and total number of students at Yale as a whole.

Ultimately I am interested in cardio research, and although going for a one year advanced degree does not provide an ideal amount of time to conduct said research, I would still really like to be around people that share that interest, which the head of the program I applied for at Yale certainly does.

Also, I actually really like the fact that the PH program is part of the school of medicine, minus the obvious pitfall of less funding....In my eyes this is the way it should be, health professionals working together, rather then a separation of parallel fields.

My primary goal is to learn more about public health, and how I can use the practice both inside and outside of the hospital.... but if I can also be in an environment where I can also be exposed to medicine concurrently....great!

sorry for the rambling, twas a late night.

Thanks again for all of your help

Wenkebach, you might have done this already, but I would suggest taking a look at the faculty page at each of the schools you are considering. If you are interested in doing cardiac research then take a look at each faculty's research interests/ current projects and see if anything catches your eye.

It's frustrating that there isn't much information about Public Health schools out there. I myself am trying to decide between an MSPH in International Health from Johns Hopkins vs. an MPH in Health Policy & Administration from Yale. I still haven't heard from Harvard though so this could potentially complicate things!

Would any current or incoming students be able to comment on the quantitative requirements once you are at Yale. I know Yale has an additional semester of biostats in its core requirements. When I met with admissions representatives they also described it as an "extrememly" quantitative program. We discussed if this would work out for me or not. (I have a weak math background--no calculus) However, I am curious to hear the student perspective. I am interested in strengthening my skills set in this area, but I am just curious.

I agree, taking a look at the faculties interests are pertinent in making the "best" right decision on where to reside....

Wenkebach, you might have done this already, but I would suggest taking a look at the faculty page at each of the schools you are considering. If you are interested in doing cardiac research then take a look at each faculty's research interests/ current projects and see if anything catches your eye.

It's frustrating that there isn't much information about Public Health schools out there. I myself am trying to decide between an MSPH in International Health from Johns Hopkins vs. an MPH in Health Policy & Administration from Yale. I still haven't heard from Harvard though so this could potentially complicate things!

Yes, that is a great idea! Those faculty pages were extremely helpful to me. I ended up not even applying to Hopkins or Harvard because I knew I didn't meet their requirements for an MPH (advanced degree or work experience) and i knew i wanted an MPH and not an MS. Don't know if that is a consideration for you though.

Would any current or incoming students be able to comment on the quantitative requirements once you are at Yale. I know Yale has an additional semester of biostats in its core requirements. When I met with admissions representatives they also described it as an "extrememly" quantitative program. We discussed if this would work out for me or not. (I have a weak math background--no calculus) However, I am curious to hear the student perspective. I am interested in strengthening my skills set in this area, but I am just curious.

Its not that quantitative. And you certainly don't need calculus. It is barely touched upon and never tested on in the basic biostats classes. If you are interested in improving yourself in the quantitative realm, the 2 biostats classes will do just that. The first class covers basic statistics (chi-squared tests and the like) while the second class is all regressions, all the time. Both offer skills anyone entering Public Health really should have. (Oh, and the exams are open book)

Yes, that is a great idea! Those faculty pages were extremely helpful to me. I ended up not even applying to Hopkins or Harvard because I knew I didn't meet their requirements for an MPH (advanced degree or work experience) and i knew i wanted an MPH and not an MS. Don't know if that is a consideration for you though.

Hey Deem , I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty much coming straight out of undergrad with no actual work experience. However, in looking at the curriculum and program requirements for a Yale 2 year MPH vs. Hopkins MSPH vs. Harvard 80 credit SM i don't see a HUGE difference between the three:

They all take 2 years to complete, all have very similar course requirements, all have a required practicum/internship component etc. I also believe they all require a thesis of some sort but I could be mixing up programs.

What made you want an MPH specifically over the MS or MSPH? Other than perhaps having to explain what the heck an MSPH is, I see pretty similar career opportunities regardless of which letters appear by my name. Would you agree?

Hey Deem , I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty much coming straight out of undergrad with no actual work experience. However, in looking at the curriculum and program requirements for a Yale 2 year MPH vs. Hopkins MSPH vs. Harvard 80 credit SM i don't see a HUGE difference between the three:

They all take 2 years to complete, all have very similar course requirements, all have a required practicum/internship component etc. I also believe they all require a thesis of some sort but I could be mixing up programs.

What made you want an MPH specifically over the MS or MSPH? Other than perhaps having to explain what the heck an MSPH is, I see pretty similar career opportunities regardless of which letters appear by my name. Would you agree?

Sure, I could agree with that to an extent. I came right out of undergrad as well. I just saw an MS as a bit more of a focused and research centric degree while the MPH degree really focused on getting a more holistic public health education. From the research I did, I saw it as a breadth vs. depth situation in which I valued breadth over depth. I also do think there is value in the recognition of the MPH "brand" over the confusion over a more general MS type degree. Perhaps not much, and perhaps I'm overestimating this, but I think that an MPH, because of the regulation and accreditation behind that degree sort of makes it stand for a bit more then your basic MS type degrees.

Also, just fyi, Health Policy students at Yale don't have to do a thesis (you can, but it isn't required like in the other divisions)

thanks Deem. Def something to take into account as Yale is the only MPH program I'm considering at this point.

Hi,
Thank you so much for replying, Deem. That is good to know. It is odd because I had one administrator gushing over my background, qualifications, etc. and another very positive but wary of my lack of calculus and my lackluster GRE scores on the quantitative section. I have been out of school for awhile so I wasn't really all that broken up over my GRE scores. (Of course, I wish I scored better).

I am pretty sure that I can meet the challenge of 2 semesters of biostats unless I am missing some major component of what biostats is, but I am having a hard time really understanding what schools mean when they stress "we are really quantitative." For example, I didn't end up applying to one school because their website says a number of times that it is a quantitative program. Last week, the school emailed to ask why I didn't apply. When I explained, they seemed shocked that I thought that their continuous emphasis on being a quantitative program changed my mind.

I just want to be successful but I am not a math genius or a budding stats wizard. I just really, really liked the people I met at Yale; however, so do approximately 1,000 other people :) based on their application stats, so this is probably a pointless discussion since I have yet to be admitted to Yale or anyplace else (I just sent in my aps last month) but I want to gather as much information as I can!
Thanks,
Jaya

I also do think there is value in the recognition of the MPH "brand" over the confusion over a more general MS type degree. Perhaps not much, and perhaps I'm overestimating this, but I think that an MPH, because of the regulation and accreditation behind that degree sort of makes it stand for a bit more then your basic MS type degrees.

Wouldn't accreditation and regulation for a school of public health cover ALL degrees within the school and not just the MPH program? I've searched CEPH's accreditation documents and this seems to be stated as such. Could someone clarify this comment?

Wouldn't accreditation and regulation for a school of public health cover ALL degrees within the school and not just the MPH program? I've searched CEPH's accreditation documents and this seems to be stated as such. Could someone clarify this comment?

That could be right. I'm not positive on that. I still think an MPH is a more recognizable degree however. Just my opinion. A degree from Harvard is still a degree from Harvard. I just knew i specifically wanted an MPH.

No it does not. CEPH oversees public health education which is a MPH, MSPH, and DrPH degrees. MS and PhD/ScD degrees are not under those umbrellas because they do not meet a public health education's requirements. The main requirements of PH education is that you take at least one course in each of the core PH disciplines (EP, EH, HPA, SB, BS) and have an internship/practicum experience. MS and PhD/ScD degrees aren't bound to those requirements.

No it does not. CEPH oversees public health education which is a MPH, MSPH, and DrPH degrees. MS and PhD/ScD degrees are not under those umbrellas because they do not meet a public health education's requirements. The main requirements of PH education is that you take at least one course in each of the core PH disciplines (EP, EH, HPA, SB, BS) and have an internship/practicum experience. MS and PhD/ScD degrees aren't bound to those requirements.

On CEPH's website it appears that even the MS and PhD degrees at some schools are accredited.

For example, I put Yale into their search option (i provided the search link below) and it shows me that their MPH and PhD and MS programs are accredited. Same goes for Harvard and Johns Hopkins.

For anyone who is curious, you can search all Public Health schools and programs to see for yourself:

http://www.ceph.org/pg_accreditedschools_search.aspx

I'm pretty sure this is what PH2011327 was referring to. If CEPH doesn't cover MS/PhD then why are those degrees listed as accredited for the schools i mentioned?

On CEPH's website it appears that even the MS and PhD degrees at some schools are accredited.

For example, I put Yale into their search option (i provided the search link below) and it shows me that their MPH and PhD and MS programs are accredited. Same goes for Harvard and Johns Hopkins.

For anyone who is curious, you can search all Public Health schools and programs to see for yourself:

http://www.ceph.org/pg_accreditedschools_search.aspx

I'm pretty sure this is what PH2011327 was referring to. If CEPH doesn't cover MS/PhD then why are those degrees listed as accredited for the schools i mentioned?

Sorry, I should clarify. I didn't mean to say that PhD/MS degrees aren't accredited (I don't think I said anything of that ilk) because they obviously are (any degree/education at an accredited university should be as long as it's not a diploma mill). What I meant was that CEPH only closely dictates the curricula and requirements for a MPH and DrPH (such as knowledge in all areas of PH and a cumulation experience/practicum/internship).

Note here in the CEPH accreditation guide (http://www.ceph.org/pdf/SPH-Criteria-redline.pdf) the section on the MPH is 8 pages long wheres the PhD/MS section is 1 page. The MPH is tightly controlled to have a similar experience across all universities whereas the PhD/MS can be very heterogeneous.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone who is at Yale now went to the accepted students day.

Airfare to CT is really high right now. I have been there and met a few people in admissions but no students or faculty. Also, sometimes it is better to go on your own because so many people are vying for attention at these types of things. So, I am just curious what it is like since it costs quite a bit to fly out! If I decide to go to Yale I need to save my money now :)

Also, other schools provided information on places to stay, etc. Since I just received my acceptance via email there was only a pdf invite without specifics. Any advice?

Thanks!
Jaya

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone who is at Yale now went to the accepted students day.

Airfare to CT is really high right now. I have been there and met a few people in admissions but no students or faculty. Also, sometimes it is better to go on your own because so many people are vying for attention at these types of things. So, I am just curious what it is like since it costs quite a bit to fly out! If I decide to go to Yale I need to save my money now :)

Also, other schools provided information on places to stay, etc. Since I just received my acceptance via email there was only a pdf invite without specifics. Any advice?

Thanks!
Jaya

Fly to New York and take the Metro-North commuter train into New Haven. That's the most cost-effective way of getting to and from Yale if you need to fly.

What is the appropriate attire for a yale open house? I've heard advice ranging from "you're already accepted! go casual." to "you're going to be around faculty all day, be professional."

Could someone who attended years previous give us a sense of how an admitted student should dress for the upcoming open house day?

What is the appropriate attire for a yale open house? I've heard advice ranging from "you're already accepted! go casual." to "you're going to be around faculty all day, be professional."

Could someone who attended years previous give us a sense of how an admitted student should dress for the upcoming open house day?

Hi Int'l Health,
I posted this question on the thread for admitted student's day as well. I was curious as well. I had planned on wearing a suit because that is my work attire but I don't want to show up in a suit if it business causual or something :)

Stories, Thanks for airport tip.

I find these things to be very important lol. I was thinking of a casual but still business appropriate outfit? ie Banana Republic or J. Crew

And thanks for posting again in the other thread :)

Hi Int'l Health,
I posted this question on the thread for admitted student's day as well. I was curious as well. I had planned on wearing a suit because that is my work attire but I don't want to show up in a suit if it business causual or something :)

Stories, Thanks for airport tip.

It's a very casual day. Some people will inevitably show up in nicer clothes, but it's pretty informal.

Thanks, Stories. Awesome :) I'm so glad I asked or I would have been the one in the suit.

I agree with Stories-- it's mostly casual. I attended in a pair of slacks and a flannel, but I might actually suggest business-casual over casual-casual. Slacks and a button-up shirt (no tie), or something of that variety.

See you there!

Thanks! Now I have to decide if I am going for this event or just come out at another time.

Hey guys,

I was at Yale on 28th Feb; during my short trip to New Haven for 4 days until 1st March.

I have been admitted in the Health Management Program, and need to know if there is anyone else on this forum who has been accepted into this concentration .... ?

Also,I was extremely confused over Yale and Michigan(after ruling out Coulmbia,Carnegie Mellon and Hopkins); and would love to get more insight into the Yale program from peeps out here ...

Thanks,

Aspire198

For those still waiting on financial information, I was told that they will have information out on Thursday or Friday this week provided your application is complete.

A question for current or incoming MPH students in Yale-where do you guys live/ will live and how do you like it, in terms of distance from the School of Public Health, and access to facilities etc?