Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
218
0
39
Visit site
Status
Does anyone else think this (specifically the 1-hour calling window) is the dumbest idea ever? Is anyone else compulsively redialing? :D Man, waitlists are really humbling. Is anyone actually getting through? I'm really starting to dislike the woman on their "call back later" message. Here is my half-serious conjecture about their waitlist tier assignments:
Tier 1: Those most dedicated/compulsive/obsessed waitlistees that actually stick it out and get through on Monday.
Tier 2: The ones that get through on Friday.
Tier 3: The waitlistees who didn't "want it" bad enough to get through this week.
Ok, putting away my sarcasm now and redialing...
 
E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by Grumpy Bear
Does anyone else think this (specifically the 1-hour calling window) is the dumbest idea ever? Is anyone else compulsively redialing? :D Man, waitlists are really humbling. Is anyone actually getting through? I'm really starting to dislike the woman on their "call back later" message. Here is my half-serious conjecture about their waitlist tier assignments:
Tier 1: Those most dedicated/compulsive/obsessed waitlistees that actually stick it out and get through on Monday.
Tier 2: The ones that get through on Friday.
Tier 3: The waitlistees who didn't "want it" bad enough to get through this week.
Ok, putting away my sarcasm now and redialing...
Huh?
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
38
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yep, i'm in the same boat... redialing as I type actually :). I haven't been able to get through, and i'm getting really frustrated with that "Hello, you have reached the office of admissions..." Ugh!!! +pissed+ :D :D :D

btw, I like your tier idea... let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised ;)
 
About the Ads

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
I feel like I am voting for American Idol. I go through the same thing every week! :laugh:
 

Newquagmire

15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
1,272
3
Originally posted by quideam
Yep, i'm in the same boat... redialing as I type actually :). I haven't been able to get through, and i'm getting really frustrated with that "Hello, you have reached the office of admissions..." Ugh!!! +pissed+ :D :D :D

btw, I like your tier idea... let's just say that I wouldn't be surprised ;)
Umm, isn't it supposed to be 2-3 PM?
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
It is past 2pm eastern time!
 

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
218
0
39
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Eraserhead
Huh?
Dean Silverman sent an e-mail to people waitlisted at Yale telling them that the waitlist would be tiered, but the only way to find out where you stand is to call the office of admissions. During a one-hour time window. Twice a week. So now the hundreds of waitlistees are flooding the phone lines, such that the majority of us get a recorded message to try our calls again later. I wish they could just put our calls on hold, a la "Your call is important to us. Your call will be answered in 10,000,000 minutes" or whatever. It would beat this continuous redialing.
 
E

Eraserhead

Is this just to find out which tier you are in?

I have a friend that knew this last week... did she already get through?

:confused:
 
E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by Grumpy Bear
Dean Silverman sent an e-mail to people waitlisted at Yale telling them that the waitlist would be tiered, but the only way to find out where you stand is to call the office of admissions. During a one-hour time window. Twice a week. So now the hundreds of waitlistees are flooding the phone lines, such that the majority of us get a recorded message to try our calls again later. I wish they could just put our calls on hold, a la "Your call is important to us. Your call will be answered in 10,000,000 minutes" or whatever. It would beat this continuous redialing.
oh i c, weird, what's the point? why not just tell you in the letter?
 

Honeybell

New Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
4
0
41
Connecticut
Visit site
Status
This is rediculous! But it is comforting to know that no one else is getting through either. Solidarity! I just wish that I had redial on my phone . . . .
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
I hate when it rings and then the message comes on. Damn torture! +pissed+
 

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
218
0
39
Visit site
Status
I just got two solid rings, but it turned out it was just setup for an "All Circuits are Busy" message from my wireless provider. Nice. Anyway about 15 mins to go. Has no one really gotten through yet???
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
I got a ring then my call got dropped! +pissed+
 
About the Ads

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
3 FULL rings then the message! Anyone getting the feeling that they are trying to avoid our calls! +pissed+
 

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
218
0
39
Visit site
Status
Ok here's my dare:
e-mail Dean Silverman and say something to the effect of: "Like a good little monkey, I called every ten seconds for the alotted hour, racked up my cell phone bill, raised my blood pressure, and wasted my time. I did not get through. Please be kind and rational admissions persons and e-mail us with our tier info. PLEASE?".
 

bigbaubdi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
641
0
37
Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Somehow I got connected to the Yale voicemail box system...which promptly sent me back to the good ole' "office of admissions" recorded message...

I got 4 rings once but then was transferred to the dreaded recorded message....
 

lyragrl

Mold-a-rama fan
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
441
0
Visit site
Status
Yes. But there are a lot of people on the waitlist and an hour is a very short period of time.
 

bigbaubdi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
641
0
37
Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by acab
Do you guys think they're actually answering calls?
They are probably colluding with long distance phone companies and getting a share of the proceeds....
 

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
218
0
39
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by bigbaubdi
I got 4 rings once but then was transferred to the dreaded recorded message....
Yeah, I'm getting more rings now that it's past 3PM. I can reliably get four rings, then "Hello, you have reached...". Getting a little frustrated...
 
About the Ads

acab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
331
2
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by absolutezero
+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Completely absurd. What is this-some kind of sick social darwinist experiment?
I guess I'm not fit for Yale?!? :confused: :confused:
 

Grumpy Bear

not even a little grumpy!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2003
218
0
39
Visit site
Status
Is anyone still calling? :smuggrin: Guess it's time to hang it up... I just hate wasting an hour and a half, and having nothing to show for it. +pissed+
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
38
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey, do you guys get the impression that they just took the phone off the hook and turned that message on? It's 3:30... at this point, we should be able to get through...

*sigh*... I give up :rolleyes:
 

thewebthsp

Shoobeedoowap
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2002
1,416
1
home.achilles.net
Status
OK -- I just got through, the lady at Yale (really nice) told me it was a nightmare -- so many people were calling in that those few who did get through were put on hold, and those on hold got bumped off!....It was bad. Mr. Silverman is not taking calls anymore until next Monday. This Friday is Good Friday so they won't be taking calls. I think they should have specified the tier either in an email or in a snail mail letter...
 

bigbaubdi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
641
0
37
Baltimore
Visit site
Status
I just got through!

But it is too late to speak with Dean Silverman according to Veronica...

The next call in day is indeed next Monday....
 
About the Ads

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
38
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How much do you guys want to bet that next monday will be exactly like this one? *sigh*
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
Arghhhhhhhhhhh! I totally echo the need for the sending of an e-mail that will tell us what tier we are on and explain the waitlist process at Yale. Good luck everyone! At least we have each other for support and to maintain our sanity! ;)
 
E

Eraserhead

I'm confused though my friend new last week that she is top of Tier 1... is this the second Monday for calling?
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
38
NY
Status
Originally posted by quideam
How much do you guys want to bet that next monday will be exactly like this one? *sigh*

Hey Quideam!

I totally agree! Wasn't UPenn so awesome in telling us everything on the status page? That would be so much easier then trying to call within such a small period of time. I wish you the best of luck. I should be hearing from Pitt soon so we may be in the same class. :)
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
38
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No, a few people got "top of tier 1" in their waitlist letter. The rest of us are either on the bottom of tier 1, or on tiers two or three. Being in tier 1 basically means that you're in, tier 2 can go either way, and tier 3 is unlikely to get in. Thus all the panic to find out :)
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
9
38
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Nice, DrJ2B! Yeah, Penn's website was great... except that it told me I was waitlisted :D. This mess with Yale is the last thing we need right now, you know? But I hope you get into Pitt... I absolutely love it, and if it weren't for the distance from home (7+ hours!), it would be my #1 choice hands down. Good luck!!!!
 

maoeris

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2002
180
0
San Diego
www.amsa.org
Status
Tier 1 is subdivided? Why would they do that? I hope you guys get good news about where you stand on the waitlist!
 

acab

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2003
331
2
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by absolutezero
Has anyone else tossed their hat into the ring and emailed Silverman to lobby for dispensing tier information another way?
I did. I'll post when I get some sort of reply.
 

TheFlash

Playtime Is Over
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
4,775
1
The City of Blinding Lights
Status
I cannot believe they allowed only one hour for addressing all waitlistees. They should've seen that trainwreck from a mile away. I seriously feel for you guys.
 
E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by TheFlash
I cannot believe they allowed only one hour for addressing all waitlistees. They should've seen that trainwreck from a mile away. I seriously feel for you guys.
If Cornell did this, I would have literally lost my mind and beaten the phone up.
 

bigbaubdi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2003
641
0
37
Baltimore
Visit site
Status
This may seem a bit perverse but I actually like this dial-a-tier business.

Aside from the fact that I wasted an hour at work today, this waitlist stuff reminds me of those radio contests in which the 100th caller wins a couple of tickets to some concert...

Also I like the fact that (at some point) you actually get to talk to Dean Silverman in person.
 

periodic

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2003
321
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by bigbaubdi
Also I like the fact that (at some point) you actually get to talk to Dean Silverman in person.
And that is the reason for limiting the call in time so severely. Another reason is that waiting to find out where we are on the waitlist doesn't matter as much in April before it and others start to move (except for our planning purposes).
 

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
3,207
3
38
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by periodic
And that is the reason for limiting the call in time so severely. Another reason is that waiting to find out where we are on the waitlist doesn't matter as much in April before it and others start to move (except for our planning purposes).
periodic, when is the HMS revisit?

CCW
 
About the Ads