Yale Waitlist Dial-A-Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
principessa said:
No, I?m not saying anything about your chances. It?s just that Silverman seems to know the waitlist really well. But even he doesn?t know exactly what will happen, so take heart. When I was at Second Look, he said something to the effect that they had not accepted as many people off the bat this year, so the waitlist would work a little differently; perhaps more people will be accepted from the waitlist than before.

please please please harvard, take 50 extra people this year so more spots at yale open up :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Bump!

So who got through today? Any news? Please post!!!

Hey all,

I talked with Director Silverman today. He says he is very optimistic they will get to tier 3 within a few weeks. However, he can't be sure just who will be taken off tier 3 (that means there probably is no ranking on the high side of tier 3).

Members don't see this ad :)
thewebthsp said:
Hey all,

I talked with Director Silverman today. He says he is very optimistic they will get to tier 3 within a few weeks. However, he can't be sure just who will be taken off tier 3 (that means there probably is no ranking on the high side of tier 3).

Wow, if Yale's list is moving this much hopefully Cornell's will too.

thewebthsp said:
Hey all,

:wow: man, just throw more wrenches into my engine why don't you. thanks for the heads up. question: why are you talking to RS when (i thought) you were all settled up?

"within a few weeks"... funny, last time i talked to him he said he'd be 95% sure about my chances by june 15.

Hi,

Got through to RS today. He said the movement this year is "above average," and he expects the process to end by the end of June. He said in passing that he is optimistic about getting to tier 3, but obviously he couldn't make any guarantees.

By the way, do you guys think the positions on the waitlist move? I mean, I remain in tier 2, but when I asked RS today my position has been bumped down from middle to bottom (and I sent LOI and stuff)!

Keep this thread alive!

GP03Deobendrum said:
Hi,

Got through to RS today. He said the movement this year is "above average," and he expects the process to end by the end of June. He said in passing that he is optimistic about getting to tier 3, but obviously he couldn't make any guarantees.

By the way, do you guys think the positions on the waitlist move? I mean, I remain in tier 2, but when I asked RS today my position has been bumped down from middle to bottom (and I sent LOI and stuff)!

Keep this thread alive!

wowowow... i'm just so confused right now :(

anyway, yes the waitlist at yale is not entirely fixed. the way he explained it to me was this: when there are two or three positions available, the committee meets to discuss the next handful of candidates (including any significant, new information) and decides from there who will fit into the class that they are molding...

Ok, just to make sure, those of you that sent LOIs sent them to the admissions office (same address as rec. letters), right? I guess in my case, LOI and updated transcripts CAN hurt! Anybody else got bumped up or down?

Newquagmire, looks like you and I are the only ones who are staying on this boat! If you don't mind my asking, where are you on the list and do you have other acceptances?

Hey all!

I also got through today. Mr. Silverman mentioned the same thing to me about being optimistic that Yale will go into the 3rd Tier. He also mentioned what Newquagmire said about reviewing a group of applicants rather than having an absolute rank for everyone. He mentioned that they had reviewed my application a few times and I guess they reprioritize them. He said there are no spots available as of yet but that the deferrals that they are processing (Rhodes, Fullbright Scholars and other reasons) will open up some more spots in the class. He says that they are much farther along than they were at the same time last year. Overall, he was quite optimistic and the call was very encouraging. He also mentioned that he does not give much time to make a decision once someone is accepted because he wants to be done with everything by the end of June. He does not want to drag this out. Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: The end of June is less than 3 weeks away.

--DrJ2B

nuts. my phone card ran out while i was on hold. i called earlier too, but my line got dropped somehow. doh.

anybody get through and hear new information today?

Hey Newquagmire!

We only have about a week and a half left to wait to hear since Mr. Silverman plans to be done with waitlist movement by the end of June. When I spoke to him, he was very adamant about not prolonging the process. Good luck man! :luck: One of us can get that call any day now.

---DrJ2B

Members don't see this ad :)
DrJ2B said:
Mr. Silverman mentioned the same thing to me about being optimistic that Yale will go into the 3rd Tier.

Today, RS said that he's not as optimistic as he was last week. The class is full; only deferral spots are available in the next few days now.

I was somewhere in 2nd tier and was accepted last week. I'll probably pass due to financial aid.

I hope my spot goes to one of you guys.

Hi,

Called today. First, RS says the process will NOT end by this month; he expects things to go into July. Second, there are no open spots available right now, but he knows that 3~6 people are planning to defer (not yet official). Third, June 30th is the deadline for deferring at Yale, and apparent it is a deadline for some other schools too, so RS expects a domino effect after June 30th (ie. deferrals and people withdrawing from the waitlist). Fourth, he is less optimistic about getting into tier 3.

On a sidenote, my app has been reviewed many, many times, but I guess there are just too many people of my 'type' in the class... :(

thanks for the info GP03. good luck the next time you get reviewed, maybe you can convince RS you're exactly what they need!

Hey all!

I also got through today. To reiterate what some people said, Mr. Silverman did say that June 30th is the big day when those deferring must have everything in order. He also mentioned that he is not as optimistic that Yale will get into Tier 3. He did mentioned that the spots open by deferrals plus those lost to other schools may help some Tier 3 people get off the waitlist, so anything is possible. He told me to hold on a little longer. He said he has already started telling some people who have called to expect not to be accepted. I would love to go to Yale and, more and more, I am realizing that it is the best place for me to be.

--DrJ2B

DrJ2B said:
Hey all!

I would love to go to Yale and, more and more, I am realizing that it is the best place for me to be.

--DrJ2B
Hey DrJ2B,
I know how much you've wanted to go to UPenn. Are you having a change of heart or have you lost hope? :( In any case, I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you since I've been rooting for you all this time! Well, it's not over till it's over, right? I hope that you get in either to UPenn or Yale! :luck:

Pearface said:
Well, it's not over till it's over, right? I hope that you get in either to UPenn or Yale! :luck:

DrJ2B, definitely don't give up hope. I'm rooting for you (and me!) too! :thumbup:

but hey, pitt is a sweet school too!

It is likely more people will drop Upenn (including me if I get into Hopkins [shh])

Thus DrJ2B, you still have a shot. Not over till the fat lady sings man!

Thanks so much for the support everyone. I had a pretty optimistic talk with Mr. Silverman, but I am not sure if that means anything. Yale is such a great school and it would be so much closer to family and friends. It is nice to have a school tell you what your chances are. I have no clue if I have a chance at all at UPenn. All I know is that if I get into Yale within the next few weeks, I am going to go. There are only about 7 weeks until UPenn starts. I honestly would not have the money to go to UPenn if I heard the day before class starts or after I have already moved to Pittsburgh. I just could not take it if I got in and would not be able to go. My parents have a lot of there own bills and they cannot help me. Yale is such a great school and it was my best interview experience. I would be lucky to go to either school but it just takes too much energy to wait so long. I never thought Yale would even look at me and it did. I do not know how other people feel about Yale but every time I talk to Mr. Silverman (regardless of what he says) or Veronica, I feel like I matter and that they really care about their students and waitlistees. Mr. Silverman has been very upfront about everything and I really like that. UPenn has been my dream school since the end of my freshman year of college and I am still hopeful, but I have to be realistic now. Despite my great time interviewing at Yale, I always pushed UPenn because I applied early decision and have wanted to go there for so long. I did not look at what Yale had to offer. Now, after learning more about Yale, it seems like a better match for me and my interests. I really loved the student atmosphere and I really hope I get in. I am going to hold onto hope for both schools, but right now, I would not turn down Yale even if I got into UPenn.

DrJ2B said:
Despite my great time interviewing at Yale, I always pushed UPenn because I applied early decision and have wanted to go there for so long. I did not look at what Yale had to offer. Now, after learning more about Yale, it seems like a better match for me and my interests. I really loved the student atmosphere and I really hope I get in. I am going to hold onto hope for both schools, but right now, I would not turn down Yale even if I got into UPenn.

just too bad you realized this so late. better late than never, i guess? good luck!

hello, all,

i'm completely befuddled that yale would operate like this (is this part of the 'yale system' or something?). i really hope that everything works out for you guys and that there are spots for all!!

i'm just some faceless hayseed from the midwest ( :oops: ) but am applying to yale this year anyway (its my hot body, i'll do what i want!). i was just wondering if any of you could PM me your stats/ugrad schools/whatever so i could see how i measure up--i'd really appreciate it. if not, no worries.

thanks, and luck to all :luck:

Yale is one of the best places with respect to this process...

Dr. Silverman (PhD Philosophy :)) always likes to talk to you, and will always fill you in on what's going on. Also, Yale reconsiders a whole pool of people -- this is better than say Baylor who goes by the "luncheon ticket system" of accepting people down the list.

It's kind of interesting :)

Hey all!

Did anyone get through today? I was at orientation for a new job so I was not able to call. Thanks. :)

--DrJ2B

yep i got in today...sadly the class is full, the only way spots will open now is if people withdraw from yale if they get off another waitlist or the few deferrals that still haven't been approved go through(deadline wednesday) Silverman said that he initially thought they would go deeper into the waitlist but a lot of people they expected to take offers at other schools decided to stick with yale.

berriesarie said:
yep i got in today...sadly the class is full, the only way spots will open now is if people withdraw from yale if they get off another waitlist or the few deferrals that still haven't been approved go through(deadline wednesday) Silverman said that he initially thought they would go deeper into the waitlist but a lot of people they expected to take offers at other schools decided to stick with yale.

Hey berriesarie!

Congrats! Thanks so much for the update. What Tier of the waitlist were you on?

--DrJ2B

oops..i meant i got through to them..not in sorry for the confusion

Hey all!

By now, I am sure you have gotten the e-mail from Mr. Silverman stating that the next call-in date is July 16th. Anyone planning on calling him earlier than that? I hope to call him tomorrow and I will post anything new I find out! Good luck everyone! He should be offering acceptances for those spots opened by deferrals! :luck: :luck:

--DrJ2B

Hey all!

I called the admissions office today and I was told that Mr. Silverman will not be back in the office until July 12th. He will likely be busy with meetings which is why call-in hours will only be in effect on July 16th. I am assuming that he is allowing more time to see if other spots will become open so he can accept people for those spots as well as those spots open by deferrals. However, he may have accepted people off the waitlist for the deferral spots. Good luck everyone and keep the faith! :luck: :luck: He did mention that he will open the waitlist until Aug 27th.

--DrJ2B

Newquagmire said:
is that the first day at yale?

If I am not mistaken, it is the first day of class, since I have heard that the 2 orientation events are not mandatory.

DrJ2B said:
If I am not mistaken, it is the first day of class, since I have heard that the 2 orientation events are not mandatory.

If August 27 is the first day of class, half of us will still be wandering around the Berkshires . . .

August 26-30 - MOOT and SAY - optional orientation activities
August 31 - Matriculation Day
September 7 - First day of class

principessa said:
If August 27 is the first day of class, half of us will still be wandering around the Berkshires . . .

August 26-30 - MOOT and SAY - optional orientation activities
August 31 - Matriculation Day
September 7 - First day of class

Thanks so much for the correction principessa! I was assuming that class started the 27th since Mr. Silverman is leaving the waitlist open until then. I guess it is a random date then. I really hope to join you in the fall. Would you please describe the 2 orientation activities? I have heard one is a hike and the other is a volunteer day. I would really appreciate any info.

I heard that there's a surgeon who went to Yale Med who practices in Hawaii and he's loaded. He was the last person to get in off the waitlist. For a while now, he pays the full-tuition of whoever is last to get into Yale Med off the waitlist. Anyone else heard of this? What's this guy's name?

PennMed said:
I heard that there's a surgeon who went to Yale Med who practices in Hawaii and he's loaded. He was the last person to get in off the waitlist. For a while now, he pays the full-tuition of whoever is last to get into Yale Med off the waitlist. Anyone else heard of this? What's this guy's name?

... are you serious?? whoa.

DrJ2B said:
Thanks so much for the correction principessa! I was assuming that class started the 27th since Mr. Silverman is leaving the waitlist open until then. I guess it is a random date then. I really hope to join you in the fall. Would you please describe the 2 orientation activities? I have heard one is a hike and the other is a volunteer day. I would really appreciate any info.

MOOT - Medical Outdoor Orientation Trip (or something like that) - four days of backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in CT and MA. Sounds like lots of good bonding over trail mix and mosquitoes.

SAY - Service at Yale - four days of volunteering, tours of New Haven, and bonding at local bars and restaurants.

They take place at the same time, so you have to choose one or the other, and both are optional, so you could just spend some extra time at home or getting your dorm room all spiffy.

Hang in there, guys!

Newquagmire said:
... are you serious?? whoa.

Yeah... has anyone heard of this? A friend of mine who interviewed there this last round told me

No, no, I am not in yet...my bank account is empty and I got some errands to run today, so I won't be calling. If anyone intends to call, I'd really appreciate an update, specifically about if the deferral spots have already been offered. If that's the case, then I think I will withdraw from the waitlist.

Best of luck to everyone.

so did we ever find out? what tier did silverman get to?

I spoke to him about two weeks ago, and they had gotten to the bottom (but not finished) 2nd tier. So much for being on the third tier :).

Good luck to you guys...

PennMed said:

i heard from a friend who is going to penn that it is a penn surgeon who doat penn, etc...