Yale Waitlist Dial-A-Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
I'm a long-time reader of SDN but this is my first post! I, too, am anxiously waiting to hear where I stand on Yale's waitlist. Like all of you, I called and called from 2-3 but didn't get through. I called a while later and got through to the secretary. She told me that the next time that Dean Silverman is available is next Friday, 4/16!!! She said that this Friday is Good Friday and next Monday, he'll be at some Director's meeting. I also asked if they anticipate notifying people through e-mails and she said no.:mad:
I wonder why she told others that they could call on Monday. Is this their way of distributing the callers so that everyone doesn't call on Monday like today? I was just wondering if anyone else heard this thing about a Director's meeting this Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to say I'm confused about this but it's nice to know there's so many of us in the same boat! I didn't get the e-mail about allowing people on the waitlist to call and find out about their status. I was told I was on the "high waiting list" in my e-mail and in the formal letter that came two weeks ago. Is that different from all these "tiers-- 1, 2, 3" that people are mentioning? Is "high" the same as "tier 1"?

Yale must really pride itself on having what is probably the most nuanced wait list of all the schools. Very interesting.

rodolfo,

Similar to Penn's waitlist, I think the "high on the waitlist" people are at the top of tier 1. You should be psyched if Yale is appealing to you..there's almost no doubt that you will be admitted once the waitlist starts moving!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rodolfo314
I didn't get the e-mail about allowing people on the waitlist to call and find out about their status. I was told I was on the "high waiting list" in my e-mail and in the formal letter that came two weeks ago.

That's because you already knew your position on the waitlist. I just called the waitlist hotline and explained my semi-urgent situation and was told to wait until the 16th. Thanks a lot.

post deleted

Last edited:
Everyone ready for the second round of Dial-A-Tier? ;)

Newquagmire said:
pre-emptive strike here i come.

I tried that already. Mr. Silverman is at a meeting and will not be returning until 2pm or a bit later. Veronica was so nice though! :D

DrJ2B said:
I tried that already. Mr. Silverman is at a meeting and will not be returning until 2pm or a bit later. Veronica was so nice though! :D

well i'm on hold waiting for him to come back, so nya nya :p

Newquagmire said:

Ewwwwwwwww! No fair! :laugh:

Newquagmire said:

I am right behind you and am on hold! Woohoo! We are going to get through! I love Veronica! She is soo awesome! :D

DrJ2B said:
Ewwwwwwwww! No fair! :laugh:

i used the "i'm calling from abroad, can you please do me a favor" line ;)

gluck drj2b, i know we're in the waiting category for some of the same schools.

PS: he's back, i just got off the phone

Newquagmire said:
i used the "i'm calling from abroad, can you please do me a favor" line ;)

gluck drj2b, i know we're in the waiting category for some of the same schools.

PS: he's back, i just got off the phone

Thanks for the one-up man! I have not heard from him just yet! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
DrJ2B said:
Thanks for the one-up man! I have not heard from him just yet! Good luck!

i think most people forgot about the whole thing by now. maybe that was the idea from the start.

Newquagmire said:
i think most people forgot about the whole thing by now. maybe that was the idea from the start.

Not I....

I called from 1:55 to now and the most I got was two rings and a hefty phone bill.

Maybe next week...

bigbaubdi said:
Not I....

I called from 1:55 to now and the most I got was two rings and a hefty phone bill.

Maybe next week...

oi vey. i don't understand why they do it this way. :thumbdown:

bigbaubdi said:
Not I....

Maybe next week...

me too, dude. Why does this have to be so HARD? :eek: haven't we suffered enough through the application process? the end is almost in sight... yet.... still reaching...

[/end drama rant] ;)

till next week!

post deleted

Last edited:
absolutezero said:
So how many of us got through yesterday? (not me.)

Any insights? Any generalizations about the waitlist this year?

How long was your conversation with Silverman? How many waitlistees can he get through in an hour? Pretty sneaky calling 15 min early-I figured I'd just get the voicemail or annoy Veronica...Do share..

i only called 5-7 minutes early =)

me and drj2b both got through as far as i know. i spoke with silverman (who sounded almost like he was out of breath) for a good 5 minutes before he urgently said "i have to go stop asking me questions!" more or less.

silverman estimated:
1) pretty much everyone in tier 1 gets in eventually
2) ~50% of the time, everyone in tier 2 gets an offer
3) if you're at the top of tier 3, you have a 40% chance of getting an offer
4) md/phd waitlist offers are very rare
5) last year, there was very little waitlist movement at all
6) the year before last, they took almost everybody from the waitlist (moral of the story being: it's quite random, so just hope it's an 'everybody' year)
7) waitlist movement at yale takes place almost exclusively between may 10 and june 10
8) yale has not made any waitlist offers yet, and mr silverman was expecting to be 'further along in the waitlist process' than they already are at this point in the year

hope that helps. good luck calling in on monday!

I keep calling...I feel like I'm voting for American Idol.....

This is the most frustrating thing ever! I can't get through either. I'm running out of cell phone daytime minutes too.

It is absolutely mind-blowing that Yale Admissions continues to use this deranged Darwinian phone call method. Wow.

a brief glimmer of hope of a ringing line...then the recorded message. doh!

berriesarie said:
a brief glimmer of hope of a ringing line...then the recorded message. doh!

Haha, I got that too. It rang about 5-6 times, and then I got the message. Argh!
Anyone getting through? I wish that they just had a busy signal since that way, you can call them on a land line and not get charged since long-distance carriers only charge if someone (or a machine) picks up.

Yeah, i'm pretty freaking frustrated as well. I have a feeling that i'm NEVER going to get through... :(. Oh well!

This is the most dramatic way to let applicants know of their status. Next year, they'll turn it into a 1-900 number to get a little extra money :luck: . ;)

Sorry for all of those who are waiting, hope you get through. You'd think they would have gone web-access with the thing. Oh well, what kind of place is Yale anyways ;) :D .

Aw man! I meant to call today, but ended up going to the ER instead. I wish they would take pity on me and tell me anyway!

MDPhDTom said:
This is the most dramatic way to let applicants know of their status. Next year, they'll turn it into a 1-900 number to get a little extra money :luck: . ;)

i was just about to say, 'why dont they have an 800 # like some other schools?'

Another Friday has come and gone. Anyone get through this time?? Not me. :mad:
I discovered though that the next dial-a-tier hours are Monday, May 3. This is the most aggravating process of notification ever! Are there people like me who STILL don't know where they are on the waitlist? Just asking since I guess misery loves company....

right here.
can't get through.
this is ridiculous.

mmz6

I am curious if anyone knows if there has been movement yet on the waitlist? Is this looking to be a "slow" year?

rodolfo314 said:
I am curious if anyone knows if there has been movement yet on the waitlist? Is this looking to be a "slow" year?

As NewQuagmire mentioned, Mr. Silverman said he would have like to be further in the process, especially in that no waitlist offers have been made yet. Also mentioned was the fact that waitlist movement happens almost exclusively between May 10th and June 10th, so we have only a few more weeks before the start of the movement. I know it is hard, but we must be patient. I really hope this is a "good year" for us waitlistees. Last year, I heard they barely made it through the first tier.

Pearface said:
Haha, I got that too. It rang about 5-6 times, and then I got the message. Argh!
Anyone getting through? I wish that they just had a busy signal since that way, you can call them on a land line and not get charged since long-distance carriers only charge if someone (or a machine) picks up.

I got through on Monday. Veronica noted my name down earlier though, so she knew that I have been calling for awhile.

I spoke with Dean Silverman and he explained the whole waitlist process to me. Dean Silverman is an extremely nice guy but unfortunately he didn't have any good news for me....Middle of tier 3....

He said my chances of getting in are not that good. Best of luck to everyone waiting though; Yale is a great school

bigbaubdi said:
I got through on Monday. Veronica noted my name down earlier though, so she knew that I have been calling for awhile.

I spoke with Dean Silverman and he explained the whole waitlist process to me. Dean Silverman is an extremely nice guy but unfortunately he didn't have any good news for me....Middle of tier 3....

He said my chances of getting in are not that good. Best of luck to everyone waiting though; Yale is a great school

Hey bigbaubdi!

It is all good! You are going to get into Hopkins anyway. I saw you are on the upper tier. I wish you the best of luck! Remember to update your application after this spring, send new LORs, speak to Dean White! Fight for that acceptance! I am doing the same with my waitlists! :D

DrJ2B said:
Hey bigbaubdi!

It is all good! You are going to get into Hopkins anyway. I saw you are on the upper tier. I wish you the best of luck! Remember to update your application after this spring, send new LORs, speak to Dean White! Fight for that acceptance! I am doing the same with my waitlists! :D

It helps if you send in targets taken down from target practice with a 9 mil. Hopkins needs to know its students can defend themselves around Baltimore! :eek:

;)

JH

DrJ2B said:
Hey bigbaubdi!

DrJ2B,

I guess the good thing about being on an "unranked" waitlist tier 1 at Penn is that the people who show the most interest are the ones who have the best chance of getting in. If interest is the primary criteria for acceptance off tier 1 of the waitlist, then there is no doubt in my mind that Penn will come to its senses and accept you off the waitlist. I can't imagine why they wouldn't accept such a passionate advocate for the curriculum and the school.

In our position, I guess we just have to be patient but persistent. It is really wonderful to hear that you got accepted to Pitt! I was accepted to UMD a few months ago, so no matter what happens w/ the waitlists, it is truly a great feeling to know that we will be doctors in 4 years.

JohnHolmes said:
It helps if you send in targets taken down from target practice with a 9 mil. Hopkins needs to know its students can defend themselves around Baltimore! :eek:

;)

JH

Hahahha....A pacifist like myself would never own or fire a weapon... Better not mention that on my update letter... Thanks for the heads up!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post ever, so forgive me for any grammatical errors. I'm in the same boat as the rest of you, except my call made it through last Friday. Unfortunately, I got the secretary about 2:40, and she said there were 3 people in front of me to talk to Mr. Silverman. I didn't get on the phone with him until 3, so I'm guessing they're fielding 10-15 calls per hour/day. He also said that the most movement would in fact be from May 10-June 10 and that he couldn't guess on how many they would take. Two years ago they took the most ever off the waitlist ever (49) and last year they took least ever (17). He was very helpful and seemed sympathetic to the stress of the whole situation. Goodluck to all.

Dr. Rob said:
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post ever, so forgive me for any grammatical errors. I'm in the same boat as the rest of you, except my call made it through last Friday. Unfortunately, I got the secretary about 2:40, and she said there were 3 people in front of me to talk to Mr. Silverman. I didn't get on the phone with him until 3, so I'm guessing they're fielding 10-15 calls per hour/day. He also said that the most movement would in fact be from May 10-June 10 and that he couldn't guess on how many they would take. Two years ago they took the most ever off the waitlist ever (49) and last year they took least ever (17). He was very helpful and seemed sympathetic to the stress of the whole situation. Goodluck to all.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! I can say for certain that they've gotten at least one withdrawal so far...

There should be more after the second look weekend and after people get their financial aid packages I imagine.

--Rager

If Yale will be extending spots from the waitlist May10th-June 10th, doesn't May 10th conflict with the May15th deadline of only having one school accept you? So then wouldn't Yale wait till the 15th to extend acceptances to waitlitees?

Looking at last years thread the first acceptance off a waitlist was May 6th, which was the first Tuesday in May. So hopefully then people will hear May 4th this year which is this Tuesday. Only one more week hopefully!

Just rambling. Good luck everyone!!!

maoeris said:
If Yale will be extending spots from the waitlist May10th-June 10th, doesn't May 10th conflict with the May15th deadline of only having one school accept you? So then wouldn't Yale wait till the 15th to extend acceptances to waitlitees?

I'm not quite sure if I understand the question... but I think many people drop schools before May 15th (vs. the day of), so spots could potentially open up before then. :thumbup:

Does anyone know how many people are in tiers 1 and 2? I think tier 3 is larger.

Whoever wrote about people writing about Yale's waitlist phone system: It must have worked. I just got an email update from Silverman.

I was scared to open it at first. And then it just got boring.

Something really hit me during this application process, especially after I got the e-mail from Mr. Silverman. I am not sure about everyone else's experiences but I have found Yale to have some of the nicest people on its admissions staff that I have seen during my application and interview process. The secretaries are always so kind and helpful. Mr. Silverman is such a nice guy and really feels for people on the waitlist. Whoever is lucky to get into Yale should feel very happy because this cordial atmosphere is blatant in the interactions between faculty and med students and in their other graduate programs as I have heard from many people. Yale deserves a huge round of applause! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I didnt get this email...maybe he only sent it to a specific tier....

anyone else been calling, hasnt been able to get through, and didnt receive this email update?

doc.cb said:
I didnt get this email...maybe he only sent it to a specific tier....

anyone else been calling, hasnt been able to get through, and didnt receive this email update?

it may have only been sent to people who emailed them first.

<<Dear Applicants on the Waiting List,

In this extremely busy season, it is sometimes difficult to get through
to get through to the admissions office by phone, and we may fall
behind in our e-mail correspondence. I want to apologize if we have been slow to respond to your communications. We will catch up with ourselves
soon. Also, I want to bring you up to date on a couple of important
matters.

First, we have not yet begun to accept applicants from the Waiting
List. However, as we move into May, and especially as we approach May
15, this period of stagnation should end. When it does, please know
that we will do everything we can to push the process along and
minimize your waiting time. I also want to let you know that our regular
Waiting List calling hours (Mondays & Fridays from 2:00 to 3:00) will resume on Monday, May 3.

Finally, if you are applying for financial aid, I want to urge you to
complete your application if you have not already done so. Applicants
accepted from the Waiting List are given only a few days to make their
decision about coming to Yale, and you will want to know about your
financial aid award at that point.

Thank you again for your continued interest in Yale and for your
patience with the Waiting List process. Please let me know if I can be
of assistance in any way.

Sincerely,

Richard Silverman>>

I recieved the e-mail

I didn't receive that e-mail either. I hope that doesn't mean that I'm on the bottom of the third tier! Did only people who contacted them via e-mail first receive Silverman's e-mail? Did anyone who has already spoken to him receive the e-mail? Thanks

Pearface said:
I didn't receive that e-mail either. I hope that doesn't mean that I'm on the bottom of the third tier! Did only people who contacted them via e-mail first receive Silverman's e-mail? Did anyone who has already spoken to him receive the e-mail? Thanks

I spoke to him a few weeks back and I got the e-mail. Good luck! It may just be a glitch! :luck:

DrJ2B said:
I spoke to him a few weeks back and I got the e-mail. Good luck! It may just be a glitch! :luck:

let's not over-analyze this like the "did you get the penn status page email?!" thread please =)