Yale Waitlist Dial-A-Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From what I understand a lot of people are declining Yale... not confirmed tho

Columbia this year is insane-- I think I'm one of 2 ppl on this board to decline out of like ~8 people. The second look is probably why -- maybe one of the best group of guys (and girls) I have ever been around, and these are all potential classmates.

Penn and UMich I think are also seeing not so much movement, and Hopkins and UCSF are in between

Members don't see this ad.

thewebthsp said:

Columbia this year is insane-- I think I'm one of 2 ppl on this board to decline out of like ~8 people. The second look is probably why -- maybe one of the best group of guys (and girls) I have ever been around, and these are all potential classmates.

Penn and UMich I think are also seeing not so much movement, and Hopkins and UCSF are in between

I couldn't get through today either. What a bummer. I even tried calling early.

thewebsthp,

where did you get your info? what makes u say UMich has little movement, and Yale a lot?

thanks,
mmz6

Members don't see this ad :)
thewebthsp said:

Make that three.

So no one talked directly to Silverman to see if the waitlist movement is faster or slower than previous years? Any input straight from the horse's mouth would be appreciated!

two/three weeks ago, it was slower than last year (i.e. when they took virtually none off waitlist)

mmz6 said:
thewebsthp,

where did you get your info? what makes u say UMich has little movement, and Yale a lot?

thanks,
mmz6

It's not statistical I know, but based on the forums and people reporting where they decided to go v. not, and also with waitlist movement. Yale has started to really move, while Columbia is not at all.

Newquagmire said:
two/three weeks ago, it was slower than last year (i.e. when they took virtually none off waitlist)

It seems that as of today, more people have been taken off of the waitlist than at the same point last year. I'm just basing this by looking at last year's Yale waitlist thread. Last year at this point, it seems that they hadn't even hit the first tier yet.

Pearface said:
It seems that as of today, more people have been taken off of the waitlist than at the same point last year. I'm just basing this by looking at last year's Yale waitlist thread. Last year at this point, it seems that they hadn't even hit the first tier yet.

well that's good for me. esp if penn's waitlist isn't moving :scared:

so nobody knows the official story with yale?
make me #4 on columbia decliners, btw...

Number of people who decline is not a very good indicator of how much the waitlist will move. This is because some schools initially accept more people than the ideal 1st year class size (i.e. in preparation for withdrawals). Other schools like Yale, which needs to have exactly 100 people in the class no more no less (according to Dr. Silverman), are more likely to offer acceptances more conservatively and thus are more likely to dig into their waitlist.

All the best everybody.

adesua said:
Number of people who decline is not a very good indicator of how much the waitlist will move. This is because some schools initially accept more people than the ideal 1st year class size (i.e. in preparation for withdrawals). Other schools like Yale, which needs to have exactly 100 people in the class no more no less (according to Dr. Silverman), are more likely to offer acceptances more conservatively and thus are more likely to dig into their waitlist.

All the best everybody.

I like you. Any other words of wisdom for those of us waiting for these schools??

Members don't see this ad :)
Pearface said:
Bump!
Any news recently?

I was accepted off the waitlist on Monday and will be declining shortly. It hurts to do so but I think it's best for me. I think Yale's waitlist will continue to move decently for a while longer - they really do keep it to 100.

what tier were you in, periodic?

mem141 said:
what tier were you in, periodic?

I wasn't in the high waitlist, but aside from that, I'm not really sure. Judging from others, I'd guess I was in tier 1.

That's great Periodic! I know that you had a few wonderful choices. Where are you going in the end?

I talked to R.S. this morning and he won't be back in town until next Tues.
Hang in there :)

mentoz said:
I talked to R.S. this morning and he won't be back in town until next Tues.
Hang in there :)

argh. does that mean this friday's power hour is cancelled?

Pearface said:
That's great Periodic! I know that you had a few wonderful choices. Where are you going in the end?

I believe periodic is going to Harvard. I'm glad you made a well thought out choice, periodic (I think you posted a thread like a week ago between stanford, yale, and harvard, no?).

However, it also makes me happy that he's declining. Because that gives me a chance. ;)

-Ice

ice_23 said:
I believe periodic is going to Harvard. I'm glad you made a well thought out choice, periodic (I think you posted a thread like a week ago between stanford, yale, and harvard, no?).

However, it also makes me happy that he's declining. Because that gives me a chance. ;)

-Ice

Thanks for the props - that is indeed what I've done and am doing. May the waitlist move your way, guys!

So I got a mass e-mail from Mr Silverman that he indeed is NOT taking calls this Friday or Monday since he's going out of town. The e-mail makes it sound hopeful for us waitlisters since it says, "I am happy to report that activity on the waiting list has finally begun. We have made a few new offers, and we will be making more as soon as our post-May 15 enrollment situation has been completely resolved." I just wish that he mentioned if this year's movement is looking normal or if it's looking faster or slower.

has anybody else tried an alternate way to get in touch with mr silverman and actually succeeded?

cheers periodic, congrats on the big H

Bumpity bump!
It's been several days and Silverman's back in town so just checking if there's any activity! :D

I turned down a spot this morning...hopefully it'll spur some more movement.

Left a message withdrawing today..finito. Good luck!

Is anyone going to Yale?! Jeepers creepers.

absolutezero said:
I called on a Tuesday morning at the suggestion of another SDN friend who was also waitlisted. Veronica was not at all upset that I had called outside the "designated time window" and was very understanding about the relentless busy signal (and it's impact on one's pocketbook). RS was glad to take my call. I say give it a try-it's not going to do any harm to try. Best of luck to all.

thanks for the tip, worked like a charm. RS says they're nearly at the end of tier 1 waitlist now...

Newquagmire said:
thanks for the tip, worked like a charm. RS says they're nearly at the end of tier 1 waitlist now...

That's good that you finally got through! Thanks for letting us know where Yale is in terms of accepting off of the waitlist. It sounds like it's better than last year's movement, but did Silverman say anything about whether it's moving faster, slower, or normally compared to other years?

no, i didn't ask. he did elaborate on the numbers of the past two years:

entering 2003: 17 matriculating students from waitlist. lowest # ever in history of YSM. extended "partially" into second tier.
entering 2002: 49 matriculating students from waitlist. highest # ever in history of YSM. extended "deep" into third tier.

RS never mentioned a highly secretive super tier 1. for a class of 100, it seems highly variable and unpredictable. let's hope the years alternate so we can get in =)

Newquagmire said:
no, i didn't ask. he did elaborate on the numbers of the past two years:

entering 2003: 17 matriculating students from waitlist. lowest # ever in history of YSM. extended "partially" into second tier.
entering 2002: 49 matriculating students from waitlist. highest # ever in history of YSM. extended "deep" into third tier.

RS never mentioned a highly secretive super tier 1. for a class of 100, it seems highly variable and unpredictable. let's hope the years alternate so we can get in =)

Wow 49 seems really high for a class of 100. I wonder what happened that year.

no idea. i dislike how everything gets blamed on it, but might 9/11 have had a hand in students' decisions to stay closer to home?

Newquagmire said:
no idea. i dislike how everything gets blamed on it, but might 9/11 have had a hand in students' decisions to stay closer to home?

Interesting idea. Could have had something to do with it. Yale is far enough away from NYC to be safe though. :)

Eraserhead said:
Interesting idea. Could have had something to do with it. Yale is far enough away from NYC to be safe though. :)

yeah, not so much that new haven is in immediate danger of a terrorist attack, but rather that the applicants themselves would have wanted to be closer to family, friends, SOs, and other people that mean the world to them.

BUMP!

Where is everyone? Am I the only one checking this thread every minute? :confused:

Anybody got through on Friday?

Pearface just got in!!
Silverman called me on my cellphone to tell me the good news. I was on the top of the second tier and I sent a letter of intent, which he mentioned when he talked to me. This thread has been dead for a while. Anyone else hear from them? I hope to see you guys in the fall and good luck!!

Hey,

I thought this thread had died a while back. I too got the phone call! I got it on Tuesday morning. I was at the bottom of Tier 1, on the borderline between Tier 1 and Tier 2. I never sent any updates to Yale, and never got through to talking to him. On the phone, he told me that he expected to get into Tier 2 a little bit when this is all over.

good luck everybody... and Pearface, are you going to be there?

mmz6

Congrats mmz6!

Can you elaborate on "...a little bit into second tier..."?

Thanks

well, he wasnt too specific, so I dont want to mislead you..

but it seemed that they wouldnt get through all of tier 2- my guess is middle maybe? but again... thats just the impression I got.

mmz6

Silverman has the waitlist down to a science.

Oh, crap. Now I am getting all depressed.

Principessa, maybe I am getting paranoid, but are you implying that there is no hope anymore? Just this once I hope Silverman is wrong...

Sob...

mmz6 said:
Hey,

I thought this thread had died a while back. I too got the phone call! I got it on Tuesday morning. I was at the bottom of Tier 1, on the borderline between Tier 1 and Tier 2. I never sent any updates to Yale, and never got through to talking to him. On the phone, he told me that he expected to get into Tier 2 a little bit when this is all over.

good luck everybody... and Pearface, are you going to be there?

mmz6

yes, I'll be there this fall. How about you?

post deleted

Last edited:
Sorry for the bad news- but like I said- that is only the sense I got from what he said... hopefully that is not the case.

pearface-
yea.. i hope so.. im a lil worried thou...
basicaly- I send an LOI to Mich, but now I kinda regret it- I think I'd rather go to Yale. So, if I do get of the waitlist at Mich, would I be obliged to go?

mmz6 said:
Sorry for the bad news- but like I said- that is only the sense I got from what he said... hopefully that is not the case.

pearface-
yea.. i hope so.. im a lil worried thou...
basicaly- I send an LOI to Mich, but now I kinda regret it- I think I'd rather go to Yale. So, if I do get of the waitlist at Mich, would I be obliged to go?

You can withdraw from a waitlist, even if a LOI has been sent. Simply, you could say you don't have the option of waiting anymore, and since you have not been admitted, you are not obligated to go.

mmz6 said:

nah, i'd rather know now than later. congrats to y'all.

Pearface said:
Pearface just got in!!
Silverman called me on my cellphone to tell me the good news. I was on the top of the second tier and I sent a letter of intent, which he mentioned when he talked to me. This thread has been dead for a while. Anyone else hear from them? I hope to see you guys in the fall and good luck!!

wow silverman works fast!

i let go of my spot yesterday (6/2), and i'm giddy that somehow it's reached someone on SDN ...

have a great time at Yale!!!

GP03Deobendrum said:
Oh, crap. Now I am getting all depressed.

Principessa, maybe I am getting paranoid, but are you implying that there is no hope anymore? Just this once I hope Silverman is wrong...

Sob...

No, I?m not saying anything about your chances. It?s just that Silverman seems to know the waitlist really well. But even he doesn?t know exactly what will happen, so take heart. When I was at Second Look, he said something to the effect that they had not accepted as many people off the bat this year, so the waitlist would work a little differently; perhaps more people will be accepted from the waitlist than before.