Yale Waitlist Dial-A-Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Newquagmire said:
let's not over-analyze this like the "did you get the penn status page email?!" thread please =)

sorry man just responding to a question. I understand what you mean though. No one should take it as anything bad. This process is weird enough. No need in analyzing every little thing (although I do that quite often :rolleyes: ). Regardless, good luck everyone. May 10 is just around the corner. I hope the "good" years for the waitlist alternate so this will be a year where they take 45+ people off the waitlist!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha. Sorry guys. I totally tend to overanalyze things sometimes. I just found out that I did receive the e-mail after all anyway- there was some black hole with my e-mail so I didn't receive it till now. Thanks for answering my question though Dr.DJ2B.

Hey guys! I just got off the phone with Dr. Silverman and he said it looks like there is going to be movement on the MSTP waiting list, which I assume means that there is going to be movement on the MD waiting list as well! He said that this was a result of news they revieved just a few days ago (meaning people are beginning to withdraw) Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
jhuguy said:
Hey guys! I just got off the phone with Dr. Silverman and he said it looks like there is going to be movement on the MSTP waiting list, which I assume means that there is going to be movement on the MD waiting list as well! He said that this was a result of news they revieved just a few days ago (meaning people are beginning to withdraw) Good luck to everyone!

dont be messing with my head now. what exactly did he say to suggest the mstp waitlist would move? i'm muy interested

He said that one week ago the MSTP waitlist didn't look like it was going to move, but due to events in the past few days (i.e. some people withdrew) they now have movement on the waitlist. I guess that means the first few people on the list are going to get calls soon!!! good luck!

Argh. I still have not been able to get through. This is really starting to get annoying. :mad:

jhuguy said:
He said that one week ago the MSTP waitlist didn't look like it was going to move, but due to events in the past few days (i.e. some people withdrew) they now have movement on the waitlist. I guess that means the first few people on the list are going to get calls soon!!! good luck!

music to my euphoric ears. good luck to you too jhuguy--you already have some super good admits tho, save one for me ;)

::hungover:isabled good karma vibes::

Well, I got through today.... i'm at the very top of Tier 3. Yay. So I guess now it's more waiting... *sigh*. Mr. Silverman told me to call back around May 20th and that he'll be able to give me a better idea of my chances then. I never really thought i'd get in anyway.... oh well, i'm going camping on a beach for three days now, so that'll give me some time to get over it :). Pitt it is! :D

Good luck to everyone.

quideam said:
Well, I got through today.... i'm at the very top of Tier 1. Yay. So I guess now it's more waiting... *sigh*. Mr. Silverman told me to call back around May 20th and that he'll be able to give me a better idea of my chances then. I never really thought i'd get in anyway.... oh well, i'm going camping on a beach for three days now, so that'll give me some time to get over it :). Pitt it is! :D

Good luck to everyone.

I don't get it... you sound bummed. But Mr. Silverman told me that they had gotten through tier 1 pretty much every year. So you are in great shape! He really emphasized that they fully expected to admit everyone on tier 1 and that they underaccept intentionally. You should probably hear soonish, since I'm sure the waitlist will start moving in a week or two. Good luck everyone!! :luck:

OOPS!!!!! I meant very top of TIER 3. Haha.... wow, I must really be losing my mind!!!!

:D :D :D

quideam said:
Well, I got through today.... i'm at the very top of Tier 1. Yay. So I guess now it's more waiting... *sigh*. Mr. Silverman told me to call back around May 20th and that he'll be able to give me a better idea of my chances then. I never really thought i'd get in anyway.... oh well, i'm going camping on a beach for three days now, so that'll give me some time to get over it :). Pitt it is! :D

Good luck to everyone.

Congrats quideam!! From what I understand in reading these threads, very top of tier 1 = almost guaranteed acceptance. Only 12 days till May 15 :)

quideam said:
OOPS!!!!! I meant very top of TIER 3. Haha.... wow, I must really be losing my mind!!!!

:D :D :D

Very top of tier 3 is still a good position to be in...

Tiers 1 and 2 are very small (according to Dean Silverman) and if the waitlist moves significantly this year, then you stand a decent shot of getting in off the very top of tier 3

I heard they go to tier 3 ~40% of the time...

So if they go to tier 3 you're in :)

I got through but my cell phone dropped the call while I was on hold :mad:

quideam said:
Well, I got through today.... i'm at the very top of Tier 3. Yay. So I guess now it's more waiting... *sigh*. Mr. Silverman told me to call back around May 20th and that he'll be able to give me a better idea of my chances then. I never really thought i'd get in anyway.... oh well, i'm going camping on a beach for three days now, so that'll give me some time to get over it . Pitt it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
jhuguy said:

another thought jhuguy, any idea how the mstp waitlist moving affects the md waitlist?

I finally got through to Mr Silverman today and he was very nice. I can't imagine having to repeat yourself over and over again to every anxious waitlister who calls. He basically told me to call back after May 15th to get a better estimate of how the waitlist is moving, but he said that as of today, May 3rd, no one has been pulled off of the waitlist. He was cautiously optimistic about my position on the "top of the 2nd tier and on the cusp of the 1st tier". Here's to hoping for all of us waitlisters that this year is NOTHING like last year! :luck:

"very high on tier 3" here....

thewebthsp said:
"very high on tier 3" here....

Hey thewebthsp!

That is my situation too! Good luck! :luck: I thought you were going to go to UPenn?

DrJ2B said:
Hey thewebthsp!

That is my situation too! Good luck! :luck: I thought you were going to go to UPenn?

I am very undecided between Columbia, Penn or Chicago. Leaning towards Columbia. I'm flying to Chicago next week, and then will sort everything out. I do hope you get into Penn, I haven't seen anyone with such a burning desire to go here. :) :luck:

thewebthsp said:
I am very undecided between Columbia, Penn or Chicago. Leaning towards Columbia. I'm flying to Chicago next week, and then will sort everything out. I do hope you get into Penn, I haven't seen anyone with such a burning desire to go here. :) :luck:

Good luck with your decision! :luck: Make sure you go where you will feel happiest! Thanks for the support man! I will soon find out my fate!

silverman told me i was on the "high waitlist" last month and i got in yesterday. i wasn't able to get more information about waitlist movement but i got the feeling that maybe a few more people had also gotten accepted in the last few days. since the second-look was last weekend, i think things are starting to move. good luck guys!

luckygal said:
silverman told me i was on the "high waitlist" last month and i got in yesterday. i wasn't able to get more information about waitlist movement but i got the feeling that maybe a few more people had also gotten accepted in the last few days. since the second-look was last weekend, i think things are starting to move. good luck guys!

congrats! luckygal, you sure are lucky. did he say what tier you were on? i got an email yesterday or so that said waitlist movement hadnt started at all. another med school adcom game perhaps?

he's never specified which tier i was on. i simply assumed "high" meant tier 1. i did get an email about a week ago sent to "Dear Applicant on the High Waitlist" which said movement had been slow to none and that they were doing their best. he said students on the "high waitlist" were the first ones considered for admission once spots became available. sorry i can't give you any more information. maybe "high waitlist" is like "top of tier 1" at penn?

post deleted

Last edited:
thanks for the info luckygal. congrats again.

yale seems to be one of those covertly sneaky places. add it to the dont-believe-everything-they-tell-you list for the newbs.

luckygal said:

Did you find out by email or phone?

luckygal said:

Congrats luckygal!! :clap:
I was under the impression that things weren't moving, but perhaps they have just started to move. Luckygal, I was just wondering if you sent a letter of interest or intent that might have made you stand out and get you pulled off of the waitlist? I could be wrong, but I think that there's a High waitlist of very few people, then there's Tier1, Tier2, and Tier3. :confused:

hey, much of my contact with silverman has been via email. he asked me to call him to "update my application status" and that's when he told me i got in. i didn't send a letter of intent, but i did send an update/letter of interest when i found out i was on the waitlist in march. honestly, i'm still in shock :) he did, however, stress that i take very little time in deciding, and it sounded like he wanted to know from me before may 15, so that's what i'm doing. hope this helps!

Bump!

It's been a few days since the last post. Any more news about Yale's waitlist movement this year? Just patiently waiting till the 15th.... :D

I just got the call from Silverman that I was accepted into Yale's MD/PhD program!! Good luck to everyone, I hope to see you this fall!

jhuguy said:
I just got the call from Silverman that I was accepted into Yale's MD/PhD program!! Good luck to everyone, I hope to see you this fall!
Hey- congratulations! :clap: :clap:
It's good to see that the waitlist, albeit the MD/PHD waitlist moving! I hope that this is a harbinger of things to come.
Congrats again! That's so exciting!

for all of those curious, i just got the same email luckygal got .. so things are moving ..

more curious? i never sent a letter of intent or any update .. pretty much i have not contacted the director at all ... but i was notified by email about being on the high waitlist ... i guess if you guys received that, perhaps expect to hear some good news soon ..

good luck all!

mentoz said:
for all of those curious, i just got the same email luckygal got .. so things are moving ..

more curious? i never sent a letter of intent or any update .. pretty much i have not contacted the director at all ... but i was notified by email about being on the high waitlist ... i guess if you guys received that, perhaps expect to hear some good news soon ..

good luck all!

so now you have to decide between all those lovely cali schools and yale too? wow. congrats.

Newquagmire said:
so now you have to decide between all those lovely cali schools and yale too? wow. congrats.

thanks dear but i think i'm going to make another Yale waitlister very happy .. :thumbup:

mentoz said:

good luck all!

Haha. Thanks for going ahead and answering all of those questions you thought that SDNers would ask. You know us well. :)
Well, congrats and good luck in choosing from your Cali schools!

Same with me....was on the High Waitlist, no letter of intent or anything, and I heard two days ago....I guess a trip to New Haven is in order.

mentoz said:
thanks dear but i think i'm going to make another Yale waitlister very happy .. :thumbup:

orgasmic. enjoy the peace of west coast mind that is LA SF. :luck:

I have never been able to get through. I'm officially sick of Yale's voice mail message. :mad:

lyragrl said:
I have never been able to get through. I'm officially sick of Yale's voice mail message. :mad:

If I were you, I'd just call about 15 minutes before 2:00PM and be put on hold till he can talk to you. That's what other people have done, and it seems to be the best way to get through. I feel for you though. It must be so annoying to still not know yet!

Forget about the call in hours. Email him, explain you've tried every single time it was offered and call in at other times. A lot.

thewebthsp said:
Forget about the call in hours. Email him, explain you've tried every single time it was offered and call in at other times. A lot.

or just wait for him to email you when people like thewebthsp (congrats) drop out. seems like all the people that have gotten in off the waitlist (on SDN) haven't had any correspondence with yale at all!

Newquagmire said:
or just wait for him to email you when people like thewebthsp (congrats) drop out. seems like all the people that have gotten in off the waitlist (on SDN) haven't had any correspondence with yale at all!

That's true, they didn't make much of an effort to contact him, but that's because they already knew where they stood on the waitlist. All of the people that have gotten in so far are on the High waitlist and were e-mailed separately weeks back telling them this-thus, no need to call Silverman. If only the rest of us had that luxury of being e-mailed where we stood from the first day!

Pearface said:
That's true, they didn't make much of an effort to contact him, but that's because they already knew where they stood on the waitlist. All of the people that have gotten in so far are on the High waitlist and were e-mailed separately weeks back telling them this-thus, no need to call Silverman. If only the rest of us had that luxury of being e-mailed where we stood from the first day!

true true. i am a noob.

Of course temper your persistence with politeness, and excuse calling outside the hours because you tried each time during the call in hours. I don't mean to give you advice that would be rude to Dr. Silverman and the Yale staff!! :)

absolutezero said:
Just got the call from Silverman. :) I was top of tier one. Good luck everybody.

Congratulations!!

absolutezero said:
Just got the call from Silverman. :) I was top of tier one. Good luck everybody.

Wonderful! Congratulations! It's also nice to know that they've exhausted the high waiting list and are moving on to the tiers.

Congrats, I'll see you in August!

congrats absolutezero. man, y'all who are doing this call early thing are keeping the line busy!

ugh top of tier 3. Man, it seems like the places I want to go to, they don't really want me....:(

-Ice

ice_23 said:
ugh top of tier 3. Man, it seems like the places I want to go to, they don't really want me....:(

-Ice
Hey, don't give up yet. If the waitlist moves along, you have a decent shot at making it since Silverman said that 40% of the time, they dip into tier 3, and you're on the top.

By the way, did anyone have a chance to ask him how the waitlist is moving this year? Silverman said to call after May 15, but I didn't get through today.