Yes, we chose Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry, Bernie Sanders will forgive all student loans.

Elizabeth Warren is pushing for the same idea but is met with severe criticism from both sides due to the fact that flat out forgiving all student loans would be highly illegal and economical and political catastrophe.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can pharmacists really find jobs easily if they are willing to move to rural areas?
Some people keep saying that but I just don`t know.
I had a couple friends/classmates that did not match into residency the first go-around even though they were stellar students (Rho Chi, heavily involved in extracurriculars/school, worked while in school, etc.) that worked in a remote/rural area hospital as a pharmacist for 1 year and then reapplied for residency thereafter and matched then. Now they work for hospitals in metropolitan/urban areas. They gave up their 100K+ salaries to pursue residency and ultimately move to a more desirable area. This happened around 2013-16. I still think this is a possibility even today despite the increased saturation. The main question is about flexibility and whether one is willing to relocate for a short while to gain the upside of the rest of their careers.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a couple friends/classmates that did not match into residency the first go-around even though they were stellar students (Rho Chi, heavily involved in extracurriculars/school, worked while in school, etc.) that worked in a remote/rural area hospital as a pharmacist for 1 year and then reapplied for residency thereafter and matched then. Now they work for hospitals in metropolitan/urban areas. They gave up their 100K+ salaries to pursue residency and ultimately move to a more desirable area. This happened around 2013-16. I still think this is a possibility even today despite the increased saturation. The main question is about flexibility and whether one is willing to relocate for a short while to gain the upside of the rest of their careers.

Something like that does make sense with residency.
However, I am wondering why anyone would hire someone from hundreds of miles away risking many unstable factors.. I moved recently too but this was strictly based on personal agreement since I was talking to someone I already knew. Personally, it`s hard to believe a rural area in certain state has to pull someone out of other states to fill that position because of pharmacist shortage. Nobody in their sane mind will move out of state before they secure the job either.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Posting the following as a Pre-Pharm starting school in August, not as a moderator)

There are so many threads in the Pre-Pharmacy section regarding all the reasons people should not be going into Pharmacy. I was going to link them, but then this post would be really long.

There are many of us Pre-Pharmacy students on the boards, much to the frustration of those who have come before us.

Yes, Pharmacy is an over-crowded field. I don't know that anyone is truly disputing that fact. But hear me out, there will always be a need for students coming up behind those already in the field in order to replace those that retire, move on, etc. The real issue isn't that there are Pharmacy Students, but how many of them.

I want to offer up a discussion point for you all.

There are 2 primary groups of Pharmacy Students: Those on SDN and those that are not.

Instead of being the doom/gloom to those students you have access to on these boards, why aren't there more posts helping students become the best Pharmacists that they can be in order to mold and shape those you want to be in the field. There are opportunities to network, to share the knowledge of the Collective, to provide real world advice, to offer help navigating the process, etc...

All the non-SDN pharmacy students out there would be missing out on this information and would be at a disadvantage from an information perspective.

If knowledge is power, why aren't we using the power better?
Because blind optimism is foolish and naive

Something like that does make sense with residency.
However, I am wondering why anyone would hire someone from hundreds of miles away risking many unstable factors.. I moved recently too but this was strictly based on personal agreement since I was talking to someone I already knew. Personally, it`s hard to believe a rural area in certain state has to pull someone out of other states to fill that position because of pharmacist shortage. Nobody in their sane mind will move out of state before they secure the job either.
Typically it is because they have a difficult time retaining talent for the rural/less urban areas, so they may be more inclined to taking on revolving staff (similar to the idea of traveler nurses) via recruiting companies to fill the staff gaps at their institution. By no means am I saying that this is an easy process and you shouldn't move until you've secured the job/licensing. What I am saying is that there are opportunities still available out there. My friend mentioned that if he didn't match residency the second go around, he would have stayed another year and done the same process all over again or do three years, take the BCPS exam, and then go from there (via job or residency again). Luckily it worked in his favor for the second go around.

All the non-SDN pharmacy students out there would be missing out on this information and would be at a disadvantage from an information perspective.

Everyone is giving you the answer, you just seem too deaf to hear it. No one, I repeat, NO ONE in the field wants anyone to be screwed for the rest of their lives. For anyone to say that being a glorified pill counter is a great gig at the moment is to be a big fat liar. That $300,000 loan won't be paid off with 20 hours a week.

Look at the Walmart firing that just happened. The answer is being given to you, you just won't drink the water.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone is giving you the answer, you just seem too deaf to hear it. No one, I repeat, NO ONE in the field wants anyone to be screwed for the rest of their lives. For anyone to say that being a glorified pill counter is a great gig at the moment is to be a big fat liar. That $300,000 loan won't be paid off with 20 hours a week.

Look at the Walmart firing that just happened. The answer is being given to you, you just won't drink the water.
You really don't need to reply to me that way. I started this thread for other people's benefit. The point of this thread was to offer actual helpful info and you could have posted something nicely written and constructive. Clearly you missed the point.

Let's summarize what's happened since OP first started this thread:

-no raises or bonuses (again)
-starting pay dropped to around $50/hr and still dropping
-Walmart mass layoffs and $30/hr goal
-Walgreens $1.2 billion in cuts coming
-CVS closed stores
-CVS and Wags stock price plummeted
-our so called leaders APHA and ACCP or whatever basically tell us "F you" in regards to the petitions to halt opening new pharmacy schools and burnout

But don't worry, you guys shouldn't listen to us because our posts aren't nice or constructive.

Reactions: 8 users
Let's summarize what's happened since OP first started this thread:

-no raises or bonuses (again)
-starting pay dropped to around $50/hr and still dropping
-Walmart mass layoffs and $30/hr goal
-Walgreens $1.2 billion in cuts coming
-CVS closed stores
-CVS and Wags stock price plummeted
-our so called leaders APHA and ACCP or whatever basically tell us "F you" in regards to the petitions to halt opening new pharmacy schools and burnout

But don't worry, you guys shouldn't listen to us because our posts aren't nice or constructive.

what future threats to the pharmacy profession are you seeing?

(you would help a lot of pre-pharms)

Last edited:
Just realized op is class of 2023. Shes probably in denial of all these facts. Probably still hopeful that there is a bright future for the students, which im sure is force fed down her by the school. No need to criticize her for being naive. Im sure shell learn soon enough. Lets not burst the bubble. We were all there once.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not blind to anything, friends. This is something I really want and I'm going to fight for it tooth and nail. Will everyone else do the same? Who knows. I've posted in several of the threads on these boards regarding the state of students and expectations vs reality. I'm not a kid fresh out of school. I didn't make this decision lightly, with blindfolds on, or any other phrase you'd like to add.

I'm well aware of the truth of the state of Pharmacy. I've been with this company 16 years already. The reality that is retail right now in any of the chains is quite frightening. What Wal-Mart pulled / is pulling is ridiculous. I've been watching closely what the others are doing. I'm fully aware of my world of PBM and MTM. I've never once argued with any of you about the actual state of pharmacy.

The original point of this thread is that there is a FLOOD of students (and pharmacy schools) out there coming out of school each year, going into school each year... So how do we help mold and shape the promising ones? How do we work around the ones that should probably find another profession? I've seen good pharmacists and bad pharmacists. In my area It's been 50/50%.

When I get to work with our students and interns, I really try and help those that are promising and work hard. We all do. When we see the other ones show up, the ones that put in minimal effort to learn anything or do anything... well, they make it hard to want to help them.

So how do we help those that really want it and can do it vs those that just want a 6-figure paycheck that may or may not be there when they get out of school? THAT is the point of this thread.

“Instead of being the doom/gloom to those students you have access to on these boards, why aren't there more posts helping students become the best Pharmacists that they can be in order to mold and shape those you want to be in the field. There are opportunities to network, to share the knowledge of the Collective, to provide real world advice, to offer help navigating the process, etc...”

How do we accomplish this? Youre stating the obvious fact very vaguely without any true value or specific solution. I am all for improving pharmacy in general but you know whats more powerful than knowledge? Money.

I think alot of people on this board are pissed off at you not because youre fabricating the truth rather just fueling the fire just to fuel it... if that makes sense. We, the pharmacists, all know whats going on and what needs to be done. We dont need a student who hasnt accomplished anything to tell us what to do when our livelihood is on the line. Go pass your board first. Find a job. Join an organization. Go to your state board and your state representative and fight for what is right. Then we’ll talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not blind to anything, friends. This is something I really want and I'm going to fight for it tooth and nail. Will everyone else do the same? Who knows. I've posted in several of the threads on these boards regarding the state of students and expectations vs reality. I'm not a kid fresh out of school. I didn't make this decision lightly, with blindfolds on, or any other phrase you'd like to add.

I'm well aware of the truth of the state of Pharmacy. I've been with this company 16 years already. The reality that is retail right now in any of the chains is quite frightening. What Wal-Mart pulled / is pulling is ridiculous. I've been watching closely what the others are doing. I'm fully aware of my world of PBM and MTM. I've never once argued with any of you about the actual state of pharmacy.

The original point of this thread is that there is a FLOOD of students (and pharmacy schools) out there coming out of school each year, going into school each year... So how do we help mold and shape the promising ones? How do we work around the ones that should probably find another profession? I've seen good pharmacists and bad pharmacists. In my area It's been 50/50%.

When I get to work with our students and interns, I really try and help those that are promising and work hard. We all do. When we see the other ones show up, the ones that put in minimal effort to learn anything or do anything... well, they make it hard to want to help them.

So how do we help those that really want it and can do it vs those that just want a 6-figure paycheck that may or may not be there when they get out of school? THAT is the point of this thread.
“Instead of being the doom/gloom to those students you have access to on these boards, why aren't there more posts helping students become the best Pharmacists that they can be in order to mold and shape those you want to be in the field. There are opportunities to network, to share the knowledge of the Collective, to provide real world advice, to offer help navigating the process, etc...”

How do we accomplish this? Youre stating the obvious fact very vaguely without any true value or specific solution. I am all for improving pharmacy in general but you know whats more powerful than knowledge? Money.

I think alot of people on this board are pissed off at you not because youre fabricating the truth rather just fueling the fire just to fuel it... if that makes sense. We, the pharmacists, all know whats going on and what needs to be done. We dont need a student who hasnt accomplished anything to tell us what to do when our livelihood is on the line. Go pass your board first. Find a job. Join an organization. Go to your state board and your state representative and fight for what is right. Then we’ll talk.

@VictorOfHungerGames : I think @Saisri_PharmStdnt meant well. I think we are all on the same side here. Tbh, it does not appear that pharmacists as a whole have done a good job fighting for this saturation problem themselves. Many that are in their jobs trying to stay there and have selfish attitude of "everyone for themselves only". Some people here even told others to go look for new jobs instead of "wasting" efforts to fight this problem together. No real effort to fight the real causes of the problem. Most gave up when those in those accreditation bodies said no refusing to close schools or raise standards.

@Saisri_PharmStdnt : Imho, it does not matter how hard you work or how talented, intelligent, and/or dedicated you are. Supply and demand rules. Please do not be blind to the fact that supply side is increased and demand side is decreased (it seems to me that both are also happening at the same time). Listen to what current pharmacists are telling and learn and fight with them at the real causes of the problem.

I was asking in above post about the future threats to the pharmacy profession. (I am not a pharmacist but) I am trying to lay out a few that I see,
-surplus of pharmacy schools and pharmacists and pharmacy school debts
-cost cutting and consolidation
-technology advancement

I think that pharmacists and students should get together for
-pharmacist unions
-new pharmacist and pharmacy student organizations and accreditation bodies
-lawsuits
-lobbying + writing to Congress
-avoid / abandon ship when nothing is done or all above fail

just some thoughts...

Last edited:
The original point of this thread is that there is a FLOOD of students (and pharmacy schools) out there coming out of school each year, going into school each year... So how do we help mold and shape the promising ones?
I think many pharmacists are just frustrated at that question because how can we help pharmacy students when we can't even help ourselves? What advice can we give students on the job search when we know damn well if lost ours now it's going to be extremely difficult to find another one ourselves despite our experience? What advice can we give students entering the profession when many of us are planning our exit strategy?

Sorry but fighting tooth and nail won't get you a job. It doesn't matter how good you are as an employee, it's who you know and how well you interview.

At this point the majority of pharmacists are hired via nepotism, you have to know people in hiring positions to get in. A hiring manager isn't going to randomly choose your resume out of 400 others, they all look the same. If you don't have that inside connection then the next ones to get hired are the young attractive 24 year olds. Legal or not, that's what happens.

Asking how to help pre-pharms is like asking how to help new passengers board the Titanic while it's sinking. Pharmacists are holding onto their jobs as long as possible, knowing that they may be laid off any day now. There's no room for new grads to enter the market. It's like the oxygen masks on airplanes, you have to help yourself before you help others. Only in this case, there aren't enough oxygen masks.

If they close all pharmacy schools today and don't issue another pharmD for 10 years, there still wouldn't be a demand for pharmacists. We've reached the point of no return.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think many pharmacists are just frustrated at that question because how can we help pharmacy students when we can't even help ourselves? What advice can we give students on the job search when we know damn well if lost ours now it's going to be extremely difficult to find another one ourselves despite our experience? What advice can we give students entering the profession when many of us are planning our exit strategy?

I agree with this 100%.

When you look at doctors, dentists and even lawyers, the more experience you have the more respect and better treatment you get. Hell, my otolaryngologists has been practicing for 30 years and each year he gets honored by the medical school for his longevity and work ethic.

What does walmart or cvs do for those whos been practicing pharmacy for more than 10 years? A kick in the face when they let you out for being a dead weight.

You can be all condescending all you want, but i warn you, watch your words to those who were shafted. Your vague presentation of the real problem with no solution will not pay for their bills.

It's super interesting that the majority of people say there's no jobs, but I have a friend that graduated in 2017 and got a job at Safeway right out of school making $130k/year full time with great benefits and 401k. She works 8 days on, 6 days off (which seems pretty cool to me).

This is technically an investment into your career. For example, if I were to invest 6 figures into Visa Stock tomorrow...I would do my homework on it. What is the future of it, what are the dividends, what can I expect? Will there be growth, will my money grow, does Visa have competitors, is it prone to recessionary downturns, what's their cash flow, balance sheet, who is their CEO, can they expand outside the states, how many people are going cashless, etc etc etc.

Would you throw 6 figures into Ford Stock because you like your Ford Mustang? And that's it?

Because technically so many students take out 200k for school because "they enjoy pharmacy." Do you think these people really do the homework behind the investment? Do they ask the questions...whats the future? What can I expect? Who are my major employers? How is the field changing? How will the field do in recessionary downturns? Is there a monopoly or duopoly? whats the current trend in cash flow balance sheets, is the field protecting itself from outside competition? how many new grads are being pumped out versus retiring...etc etc etc.

That is a very valid point of view. When I originally started this thread, it was before the Wal-mart crap and I believe before the CVS closures, but I don't remember for sure on that part. The post was honestly good intentioned for why it was important.

This is technically an investment into your career. For example, if I were to invest 6 figures into Visa Stock tomorrow...I would do my homework on it. What is the future of it, what are the dividends, what can I expect? Will there be growth, will my money grow, does Visa have competitors, is it prone to recessionary downturns, what's their cash flow, balance sheet, who is their CEO, can they expand outside the states, how many people are going cashless, etc etc etc.

Would you throw 6 figures into Ford Stock because you like your Ford Mustang? And that's it?

Because technically so many students take out 200k for school because "they enjoy pharmacy." Do you think these people really do the homework behind the investment? Do they ask the questions...whats the future? What can I expect? Who are my major employers? How is the field changing? How will the field do in recessionary downturns? Is there a monopoly or duopoly? whats the current trend in cash flow balance sheets, is the field protecting itself from outside competition? how many new grads are being pumped out versus retiring...etc etc etc.

I did the research and it was the 20 year repayment plan that lured me in lol

It's super interesting that the majority of people say there's no jobs, but I have a friend that graduated in 2017 and got a job at Safeway right out of school making $130k/year full time with great benefits and 401k. She works 8 days on, 6 days off (which seems pretty cool to me).

Yes, one person representing the whole profession. This dude is going places.

Fight tooth and nail for the privilege of getting onto a sinking ship? All that effort will have been for nothing since all you needed was a pulse and $200k+ in student loans. You’ll need your teeth and nails to fight your way into a lifeboat when the ship sinks for good, and even then your odds of survival are slim.

The smart choice is not to board the sinking ship in the first place. We can’t help but be baffled why people want to get on when many of us are trying to find a way off, let alone help people trying to get on.

Yes, one person representing the whole profession. This dude is going places.

It's just one example that there are jobs out there, despite the majority of people on here saying there are literally no jobs, especially full time jobs, available for new graduates...

It's just one example that there are jobs out there, despite the majority of people on here saying there are literally no jobs, especially full time jobs, available for new graduates...
Why is that "super interesting" though? Did you think its not possible for there to be a possibility there will be a few that actually get a job while the majority doesn't? Like if your professor says ~70% of the starting class will drop the course before the end of the semester, you automatically think 100% of the class will drop it and will find it interesting if ~30% stays?

Why is that "super interesting" though? Did you think its not possible for there to be a possibility there will be a few that actually get a job while the majority doesn't? Like if your professor says ~70% of the starting class will drop the course before the end of the semester, you automatically think 100% of the class will drop it and will find it interesting if ~30% stays?

I don't know why you're concerned about what I find interesting... I think UFO's and the occult are super interesting too. And based on your example, if the prof says 70% will drop, I'd expect 70% to drop, not 100%? I would find it interesting if 100% DID drop though.

I don't know why you're concerned about what I find interesting... I think UFO's and the occult are super interesting too. And based on your example, if the prof says 70% will drop, I'd expect 70% to drop, not 100%? I would find it interesting if 100% DID drop though.
So why did you find it interesting that one person found a job? Were you not expecting it?

Maybe you failed to understand what majority did not say there will be NO jobs. Like zero... as in ALL pharmacy students will be jobless upon graduating? Who said that? So you actually think we said ZERO students will find a job and thats why you think its interesting that ONE person you know found a job? Lol that is interesting...

Maybe you failed to understand what majority did not say there will be NO jobs. Like zero... as in ALL pharmacy students will be jobless upon graduating? Who said that? So you actually think we said ZERO students will find a job and thats why you think its interesting that ONE person you know found a job? Lol that is interesting...

There's literally a post in the job market section titled "*DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE NO JOBS WAITING?* "

Are you seriously comparing someone's offer from 2017 to today? Walmart pharmacy was great in 2017 too.

So why did you find it interesting that one person found a job? Were you not expecting it?

Yes, based on what people are saying around here, there are no full time jobs in retail offered to new grads. I was pleasantly surprised to know that people in my area who are new grads are finding jobs. I know of at least two others that have graduated in the last 3 years that have full time jobs.

She's still making good pay and is employed now, so yes?

Well then you have nothing to worry about. Since you know someone who got a job in 2017 with good pay, I'm sure you will get the same in 2023 or whenever you graduate!

There's literally a post in the job market section titled "*DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE NO JOBS WAITING?* "

So... next time someone says anything exaggerative, we should all take it at face value. Got you bro.

Also, did you even read the post? Haha where does he say there is no job out there? He says its a diminishing field and that youre not gonna get the same golden treatments you used to get as a pharmacist. Maybe you need to consider a different career not bc of saturation but your lack of sense of detail or understanding... not exaggerating, dead serious.

Last edited:
Yes, based on what people are saying around here, there are no full time jobs in retail offered to new grads. I was pleasantly surprised to know that people in my area who are new grads are finding jobs. I know of at least two others that have graduated in the last 3 years that have full time jobs.
lol. At first I was just messing with you but now I am understanding that you literally thought that because the majority of graduates will not get jobs, that meant that there are no jobs at all. Why did you disagree to my first post about your weird logic?
I am starting to think you are just here to troll everyone...

Last edited:

Exactly. It’s like someone begging to be let onto a sinking ship and demanding answers to how they can cling on for as long as possible. All the while we’re telling them to steer clear of the sinking ship while we’re trying to find a way off ourselves.

Last edited:
Exactly. It’s like someone begging to be let onto a sinking ship and demanding answers to how they can cling on for as long as possible. All the while we’re telling them to steer clear of the sinking ship while we’re trying to find a way off ourselves.

She's still making good pay and is employed now, so yes?

They say people don’t win the lottery. The news always report the one or two winners but never the millions of losers. No offense but new grads will be in that “losing” category.

I now understand why students are going to pharmacy school in 2019. They ignore the advice from real working pharmacists and only hear what they want to hear. They justify their decision because they know one single person who got a good job in the field two years ago, so that will happen to them in 4 years too! Unbelievable.

A lot of the pre-pharmacy students are simply not grasping just how quickly things are changing in the field. We are currently seeing job cuts and entry-level pay-rate decreases at a very rapid pace. Four years is an absolute eternity. The job market I entered in 2018 looked nothing like the market when I was applying in 2013. In truth, we are only beginning to enter the saturation phase. It's going to get a lot worse.

(Posting the following as a Pre-Pharm starting school in August, not as a moderator)

There are so many threads in the Pre-Pharmacy section regarding all the reasons people should not be going into Pharmacy. I was going to link them, but then this post would be really long.

There are many of us Pre-Pharmacy students on the boards, much to the frustration of those who have come before us.

Yes, Pharmacy is an over-crowded field. I don't know that anyone is truly disputing that fact. But hear me out, there will always be a need for students coming up behind those already in the field in order to replace those that retire, move on, etc. The real issue isn't that there are Pharmacy Students, but how many of them.

I want to offer up a discussion point for you all.

There are 2 primary groups of Pharmacy Students: Those on SDN and those that are not.

Instead of being the doom/gloom to those students you have access to on these boards, why aren't there more posts helping students become the best Pharmacists that they can be in order to mold and shape those you want to be in the field. There are opportunities to network, to share the knowledge of the Collective, to provide real world advice, to offer help navigating the process, etc...

If I read correctly that you are going to Creighton distance, maybe you can explain why distance students have to find their own rotations and pay $56,000 instead of $37,000 for your 4th professional year tuition when the preceptors get paid a few hundred dollars a month unless I'm reading it wrong. Tuition, Fees, Room & Board | Financial Aid | Creighton University

That is a very valid point of view. When I originally started this thread, it was before the Wal-mart crap and I believe before the CVS closures, but I don't remember for sure on that part. The post was honestly good intentioned for why it was important.
A lot of the pre-pharmacy students are simply not grasping just how quickly things are changing in the field. We are currently seeing job cuts and entry-level pay-rate decreases at a very rapid pace. Four years is an absolute eternity. The job market I entered in 2018 looked nothing like the market when I was applying in 2013. In truth, we are only beginning to enter the saturation phase. It's going to get a lot worse.
Even before the Walmart layoffs we could see it coming though. Every single chain have been consistently cutting their hours for a while now. Last year Walgreens closed half of their Rite Aid acquisitions and Shopko closed completely leaving thousands of pharmacists jobless. I don't know why people fail to recognize trends? We've been news story after news story of store closures, acquisitions, and layoffs; BLS estimates supply growing 8x slower than demand; HRSA just estimated an under/unemployment rate of up to 12% by 2030... Yet people think everything will be fine and dandy 4 years from now because they have 3 friends who got jobs 3 years ago like our friend johnd93 here. What is the logic behind this? Is it failure to understand basic statistics or economics?

Please understand that we all have good intentions despite the negative posts.

This is true. Some may have alittle more pessimistic point of views than others but im sure we all want our profession to thrive.

It isnt that we are purposely trying to have a negative view on the current situation. The current situation is very negative in nature which is why a post like this triggers some people.

Its like if your house is on fire and your neighbor comes over and says, “its fine. Im sure the fire will be put out on its own. Just wait and be optimistic. Remember, you chose that house.”

I now understand why students are going to pharmacy school in 2019. They ignore the advice from real working pharmacists and only hear what they want to hear. They justify their decision because they know one single person who got a good job in the field two years ago, so that will happen to them in 4 years too! Unbelievable.
Its also because of pharmacy students posting videos on youtube saying how everything will work out as long as you have faith in god. They also say just ignore the statistics and ignore pharmacists telling you about saturation because those people are trying to bring you down. Then you will see in the comment section something along the lines of, "This is what I needed to hear. I will always have my greatest weapon by my side always!" I have also seen someone saying even if stats are bad, you should take that chance because you could end up on top. Just search up pharmacy saturation in youtube to see for yourself.

Its also because of pharmacy students posting videos on youtube saying how everything will work out as long as you have faith in god. They also say just ignore the statistics and ignore pharmacists telling you about saturation because those people are trying to bring you down. Then you will see in the comment section something along the lines of, "This is what I needed to hear. I will always have my greatest weapon by my side always!" I have also seen someone saying even if stats are bad, you should take that chance because you could end up on top. Just search up pharmacy saturation in youtube to see for yourself.

Luke 6:39

“And he spake a parable unto them, Can the blind lead the blind? shall they not both fall into the ditch?”

Welcome to the ditch, my young ignorant padawans.

As my name suggests, may the odds be ever in your favor.

If I read correctly that you are going to Creighton distance, maybe you can explain why distance students have to find their own rotations and pay $56,000 instead of $37,000 for your 4th professional year tuition when the preceptors get paid a few hundred dollars a month unless I'm reading it wrong. Tuition, Fees, Room & Board | Financial Aid | Creighton University

For the rotations part, it honestly depends on the market-area you are in. Creighton has partnerships in many of the major areas, the one I'm in included. Plus my company has offered for me to do whatever rotations I can with them.

I can't answer the tuition part for you. Going distance vs attending a local school was a specific choice due to family, work, time management, etc. I didn't bother to research it more because of what Creighton will be able to do for me in years P1-P3. My choices for distance were Creighton and LECOM, so in reality, my choice was Creighton.. I'm really happy with my choice and the community I'm joining into.... despite any other fault with the profession mentioned in this thread and others.

This is true. Some may have alittle more pessimistic point of views than others but im sure we all want our profession to thrive.

It isnt that we are purposely trying to have a negative view on the current situation. The current situation is very negative in nature which is why a post like this triggers some people.

Its like if your house is on fire and your neighbor comes over and says, “its fine. Im sure the fire will be put out on its own. Just wait and be optimistic. Remember, you chose that house.”

I understand what you are both saying very well.. The problem with so many negative posts is that people stop reading them - the message is lost.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
Albert Einstein

Sometimes, we just have to find a different approach.

I keep telling people to stop using me as the example of going in to school blindly. I don't remember if I said it in this thread and/or other threads I've posted in, but I've been working in the industry for now 16 years and I'm well-aware of the state of things and pay attention to what is going on around me and in the news. I would never recommend a kid / young adult finishing high school or a college degree jump right into pharmacy school. I think it is important to learn about the industry you want to get into first. I think you have to do your homework on it, research it, get it in and talk to people. Work as a tech, get in there.. At this point, I would say that to anyone about go for specialized training and/or an advanced degree.

Learn about your chosen field first-hand. Figure out if you really want to do it before you spend a lot of money. Figure out if there's a future in it before you spend a lot of money. I want to look at the some of the younger students and tell them that if Pharmacy is really what you want, and the rest of the field really is wrong about it? It'll still be there when you work out of if it's really something you want, or if you're just sticking with it to prove other people wrong. It could be a pretty expensive mistake if you're wrong.

Clearly you missed the point.

Look in the mirror, someone here is clearly blind. The water is right in front of you, I suggest you figure out a way to help students who are in debt and can't find a full-time job pay off $300,000 in loans since you seem to still think this is a great career to get into. The only pharmacists that I know who still think it is a good career choice are those that graduated 10+ years ago and are out of touch with the current tuition/debt that students are stuck with. When informed about the current debt, they quickly take back their prior comments.