Yes, we chose Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It'll still be there when you work out of if it's really something you want

Can you explain this further please, I must be reading it incorrectly but are you saying pharmacy will still be there if they want to come back to it later? There are not enough jobs at the moment for the current supply of PharmDs as it is, how will there be jobs for future students who change their mind and decide later on to go back into the field?

Apologies if I misinterpreted this statement.

Members don't see this ad.

You guys are crazy, no use convincing. 1 out of 15,000 people applying and graduating. If you were my kid,I would tell you to do something else but every profession is really saturated. Pharmacy is just one of the worse though

You guys are crazy, no use convincing. 1 out of 15,000 people applying and graduating. If you were my kid,I would tell you to do something else but every profession is really saturated. Pharmacy is just one of the worse though

With unemployment at a record low there are many fields out there that are hurting for workers, pay well, and do not require you to take on astronomical debt. Computer programming and some of the trades are examples.

Members don't see this ad :)
With unemployment at a record low there are many fields out there that are hurting for workers, pay well, and do not require you to take on astronomical debt. Computer programming and some of the trades are examples.
I say finance is the same, anything that is in the news and follow the herd mentality will result saturation in 5-7 years. Same for trades, finance, coding boot camps. Pharmacy is just one of the worst though. Because other fields have higher growth. If I was to talk to my kid, I would say do something else, non medical altogether.

I say finance is the same, anything that is in the news and follow the herd mentality will result saturation in 5-7 years. Same for trades, finance, coding boot camps. Pharmacy is just one of the worst though. Because other fields have higher growth. If I was to talk to my kid, I would say do something else, non medical altogether.

Have the trades ever been saturated? It's so hard to get a plumber, electrician, HVAC guy, carpenter etc to show up cause they are so busy all the time. No one wants to do the work anymore. Parents would rather send their kids to college and accumulate debt.

Reactions: 1 user
Have the trades ever been saturated? It's so hard to get a plumber, electrician, HVAC guy, carpenter etc to show up cause they are so busy all the time. No one wants to do the work anymore. Parents would rather send their kids to college and accumulate debt.
The U.S. Department of Education reports that while there were roughly 9.66 million students attending trade schools in 1999, an estimated 16 million were enrolled 2014. In other words, trade schools are adding students roughly as fast as colleges are losing them.
it even says college admissions is lagging. Which more demand for trades. I said give it 5-7 year. If the media thinks it popular, its not a good idea. You see people doing hedge fund? no. You got to think outside the box. Same thing happened to Dental, PT. If you follow the market. It saturated the whole healthcare industry, and it is going down. Doctors have a lot of fears too. As I repeat, Pharmacy is the worse one right now though. I would not recommend it to a family member

Here’s a reality check. Walmart is officially planning to slash 40% of their pharmacists. CVS and Walgreens have been closing down hundreds of stores. If anyone thinks that the pharmacist job market is going to change for the better further down the road, they would have to be out of their mind.

Reactions: 1 users
The U.S. Department of Education reports that while there were roughly 9.66 million students attending trade schools in 1999, an estimated 16 million were enrolled 2014. In other words, trade schools are adding students roughly as fast as colleges are losing them.
it even says college admissions is lagging. Which more demand for trades. I said give it 5-7 year. If the media thinks it popular, its not a good idea. You see people doing hedge fund? no. You got to think outside the box. Same thing happened to Dental, PT. If you follow the market. It saturated the whole healthcare industry, and it is going down. Doctors have a lot of fears too. As I repeat, Pharmacy is the worse one right now though. I would not recommend it to a family member

So in other words, no there has never been a shortage for the trades.

The thing about trades is that your neighbor thinks its a good job for other people's kids, but not their snowflake.

Seriously have you ever needed a plumber or electrician before? Good luck getting a call back, much less having them show up on time or at all.

So in other words, no there has never been a shortage for the trades.

The thing about trades is that your neighbor thinks its a good job for other people's kids, but not their snowflake.

Seriously have you ever needed a plumber or electrician before? Good luck getting a call back, much less having them show up on time or at all.
Trades is good. Germany has it. I woodwork on the side and planning to work on that side for a bit to gain knowledge on that area. It's what America was doing many years ago before this college boom

Last edited:

Does 2008 recession ring a bell? Loads of employed tradespeople begging for work. Construction to a halt.
Sure self employed can hustle in recession but my own carpenter neighbor was out of work the entire time I was in pharmacy school.

Does 2008 recession ring a bell? Loads of employed tradespeople begging for work. Construction to a halt.
Sure self employed can hustle in recession but my own carpenter neighbor was out of work the entire time I was in pharmacy school.

2008 hit all professions hard, that is when pharmacy bonuses started to disappear, Rph overlap went away, tech hours got cut, rapid expansion came to a halt and it has never been the same ever since.

2008 was a once in a lifetime event unless you lived through the great depression too. This has been discussed extensively in the investment thread. Unlike 2008, people are buying homes with money they actually have today. Cash buyers, overseas investors, people that got wealthy from stocks, Bitcoin etc. The rich are richer. If a great recession is the only threat for the trades then that's pretty good job security.

2008 hit all professions hard, that is when pharmacy bonuses started to disappear, Rph overlap went away, tech hours got cut, rapid expansion came to a halt and it has never been the same ever since.

2008 was a once in a lifetime event unless you lived through the great depression too. This has been discussed extensively in the investment thread. Unlike 2008, people are buying homes with money they actually have today. Cash buyers, overseas investors, people that got wealthy from stocks, Bitcoin etc. The rich are richer. If a great recession is the only threat for the trades then that's pretty good job security.
I thought healthcare was recession proof

Apparently not. CVS and Walgreens could only open up so many locations. At the same time, they bought out a lot of independent pharmacies just to transfer the prescriptions and shut them down. Today they’re closing down hundreds of stores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently not. CVS and Walgreens could only open up so many locations. At the same time, they bought out a lot of independent pharmacies just to transfer the prescriptions and shut them down. Today they’re closing down hundreds of stores.
Here’s a reality check. Walmart is officially planning to slash 40% of their pharmacists. CVS and Walgreens have been closing down hundreds of stores. If anyone thinks that the pharmacist job market is going to change for the better further down the road, they would have to be out of their mind.

Who ever thought this was a good business plan clearly knows nothing about pharmacy lol

During my p4 year i rotated at one of these cvs where it was a well run indie and cvs bought it out. The owner made a TON of money selling it but the pharmacy ended up closing soon after cvs took over. I think the plan was to convert the indie into cvs or slowly transfer scripts out to other cvs locations but before they could even do any of that more than half of patients asked for their prescriptions to be transferred out to another indie down the street lol

It'll still be there when you work out of if it's really something you want, or if you're just sticking with it to prove other people wrong.
Lol you prepharms are so naive it's funny. You seriously think the 15000 people who just graduated are lazy and didn't apply themselves? You are overestimating yourself. I just graduated and can first hand tell you at least 60% of my class doesn't have full time employment. This is in a state with only 2 pharm schools. You believe there is a job waiting for you at the end of your 3/4 years but fail to realize everyone thinks that, whether they work at CVS and know their DM, an independent and know the owner, or at a hospital and know the director. There will be no jobs waiting for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol you prepharms are so naive it's funny. I just graduated....There will be no jobs waiting for you.

So, you were naive 4 years ago?

After you holding a license for maybe four weeks, what new wisdom can you share that didn’t help the you-of-then that may help some pre-pharms now?

After you holding a license for maybe four weeks, what new wisdom can you share that didn’t help the you-of-then that may help some pre-pharms now?

Are you seriously comparing the job market from 4 years ago to the job market of today? That is exactly why he calls people here naive. Look a few posts up and I summarized what has happened in just a few months after OP started this thread. If you want we can go back 4 years to list things that have negatively impacted the job market, that may require its own hidden forum though.

Are you seriously comparing the job market from 4 years ago to the job market of today? That is exactly why he calls people here naive. Look a few posts up and I summarized what has happened in just a few months after OP started this thread. If you want we can go back 4 years to list things that have negatively impacted the job market, that may require its own hidden forum though.
I think the job market four years ago sucked, the OP might have been a little naive then - we all were at that age - but it has only gotten worse and there is no reason to think it will get any better. I have hired people over the past 9 years. I really started to see it turn about 5-6 years ago. I knew things were going to get bad when we opened up a position after not hiring for over a year (no one had left) - we received 80 applications in the first 72 hours - that was 5 years ago. No- I can't even tell you how many we get because HR screens most of them away (no hospital experience you don't make it past the initial HR screen), and we still get 40-60 for every position.

Please for all tings - do not take on the debt that is required to get a pharmd degree. You will literally regret it for your entire life.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you seriously comparing the job market from 4 years ago to the job market of today?

Yes I am.

Are you seriously telling me people that joined the profession 4 years ago were not naive? Lol come on now

Let’s even take it further than that. It has only been declining and getting tighter and tighter. Every year something more dramatic takes a hit to the profession. People entering pharmacy 4 years ago were still called naive.

By all means though, go to the “hidden forum” and list all the changes that took place the past 4 years. I’ll let you know if you missed something ;)

Would you tell your kids to be a petroleum engineer? Extract oil. Venezuela has all their petroleum engineer leave due to low pay. USA pays high. Energy always in demand

Would you tell your kids to be a petroleum engineer? Extract oil. Venezuela has all their petroleum engineer leave due to low pay. USA pays high. Energy always in demand

If you do it right, petroleum engineering is real demanding on the family. But yes, high pay with a mere bachelors can exist for those single individuals

If you do it right, petroleum engineering is real demanding on the family. But yes, high pay with a mere bachelors can exist for those single individuals

I saw the SDN posts 4 years ago and my manager and DM at Walmart brushed everyone off here. They said SDN was a bunch of doomsdayers. I drank the Kool-Aid too. I didn't say I made the right decision. I see your postings here, and while well grounded, I feel as if you think you're immune to this just like the other mod who hasn't completed pharmacy school yet. The both of you think you have these amazing traits and connections, just like I did. But if you think you're immune to it too, you are a fool. Just like I am.

I saw the SDN posts 4 years ago and my manager and DM at Walmart brushed everyone off here. They said SDN was a bunch of doomsdayers. I drank the Kool-Aid too. I didn't say I made the right decision. I see your postings here, and while well grounded, I feel as if you think you're immune to this just like the other mod who hasn't completed pharmacy school yet. The both of you think you have these amazing traits and connections, just like I did. But if you think you're immune to it too, you are a fool. Just like I am.
it okay, I got in around 2011. Grad at 15. I saw the doom and gloom and they were right. I had good connections but burn off bridges. The market and the job isn't good. I almost went mad with 2 months off of work because I listen to my friend who told me to quit my job and travel the world

Petroleum engineers make a lot of money when gas prices are high but usually there are a lot of layoffs when gas prices go down. I think few years down the road, most vehicles will be all electric so i wouldnt bet on the jobs being there.

I wouldn’t say anyone has immunity, but some are well off (albeit few) and go in prepared for what may come. My idea is twofold: to join the VA as a retired disabled veteran or go part-time depending on my #s to financial abliss. Either way, I have my reasons aforementioned on sdn floatin’ around with no debt to my name on graduation.

Although sardonic, my idea of naive is not the same as a fool. I would say most of the frustration that many venturing pre-pharms get on here is what today’s “leaders” are feeding the majority of students. I never bought it and wanted a plan. I think the idea of this thread was to focus on the outliers that seem better off than the average traditional student.

Petroleum engineers make a lot of money when gas prices are high but usually there are a lot of layoffs when gas prices go down. I think few years down the road, most vehicles will be all electric so i wouldnt bet on the jobs being there.

100% this ^

I give it by 2030 that this high risk high reward job becomes capped and limited with a lot of permanent lay-offs unfortunately.

Oil isn’t going anywhere soon. But vehicles put a dent in the job system in the continental U.S... an electrical or mechanical engineer can be sufficiently trained for U.S. / Padre Island petroleum factories instead of hiring straight pet. Engineers that are better off to do work overseas.

Since I’m starting to hijack the thread I’ll just say this: “Yes! I chose Pharmacy!”

Oil isn’t going anywhere soon. But vehicles put a dent in the job system in the continental U.S... an electrical or mechanical engineer can be sufficiently trained for U.S. / Padre Island petroleum factories instead of hiring straight pet. Engineers that are better off to do work overseas.

Since I’m starting to hijack the thread I’ll just say this: “Yes! I chose Pharmacy!”
I said earlier it's why petroleum engineers are hard to train but if it doesn't pay good. You can have oil like Venezuela and no means of extracting it. They will go to other countries

If I started a thread called “Yes, I chose [to doom and gloom about] pharmacy,” will you leave that thread be in the pre-pharm forum or move it to the job market subforum?

If I started a thread called “Yes, I chose [to doom and gloom about] pharmacy,” will you leave that thread be in the pre-pharm forum or move it to the job market subforum?

Are you asking if you can b**** about your job or b**** about how you do your job?

Your username screams the former but I need to ask

Are you asking if you can b**** about your job or b**** about how you do your job?

Your username screams the former but I need to ask
Neither. Think of it as the antithesis to the leading post of this thread’s OP.

Yes I am.

Are you seriously telling me people that joined the profession 4 years ago were not naive? Lol come on now

Let’s even take it further than that. It has only been declining and getting tighter and tighter. Every year something more dramatic takes a hit to the profession. People entering pharmacy 4 years ago were still called naive.

By all means though, go to the “hidden forum” and list all the changes that took place the past 4 years. I’ll let you know if you missed something ;)

4 years ago the two biggest pharmacist employers were on their way to all time high stock prices. At least it looked like pharmacy had a decent future back then. So I dont blame students for wanting to enroll in 2015.

Today their stock are worth half as much despite beating quarterly earnings, while the rest of the stock market keeps hitting all time highs. So why would anyone join in 2019?

4 years ago the two biggest pharmacist employers were on their way to all time high stock prices. At least it looked like pharmacy had a decent future back then. So I dont blame students for wanting to enroll in 2015.

View attachment 271520
View attachment 271521

Today their stock are worth half as much despite beating quarterly earnings, while the rest of the stock market keeps hitting all time highs. So why would anyone join in 2019?

Haha well not sure if prepharm people would even consider any of that. I certainly didnt. I knew pharmacy was at somewhat of uncertain future only because i had great mentors that gave me advice. Still, they encouraged me to go since they thought that market would balance itself out before crossing the line. I met one of my mentors just last week and he admitted that he did not foresee the current situation being this bad. Haha.

Honestly though, job market and saturation didnt even register in my mind until i started looking for a job after graduating. Before, i was all about my passion in medicine and how much i can help others by being a good pharmacist. All noble thoughts which i am sure most of you have or had. Haha.

Haha well not sure if prepharm people would even consider any of that. I certainly didnt. I knew pharmacy was at somewhat of uncertain future only because i had great mentors that gave me advice. Still, they encouraged me to go since they thought that market would balance itself out before crossing the line. I met one of my mentors just last week and he admitted that he did not foresee the current situation being this bad. Haha.

Honestly though, job market and saturation didnt even register in my mind until i started looking for a job after graduating. Before, i was all about my passion in medicine and how much i can help others by being a good pharmacist. All noble thoughts which i am sure most of you have or had. Haha.

4-5 years ago, there were 120-140ish schools already (sorry I do not remember the exact number and too lazy to look). Even then, demand was already not great. Supply >> Demand. Just simple math. Just looking at the number, 15,000s new grads / year, 60-75K new grads since 2014-2015, makes me **** my pants.

People are usually short-sighted until the problems smash them in the face. I doubt any pre-pharmer who you guys are trying to advise here will listen to you until they see the majority of pharmacists goes unemployed or wages drop to 20 bucks an hour, etc.

Seriously, I think there is no point anymore to warn anyone as the numbers and what is happening and will happen are too obvious now. The smart ones already know what to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

View attachment 271520
View attachment 271521

What pre-pharm looks at stocks and market indexes when deciding a career? How many even know what the definition of S&P 500 and international stock trades are?

I mean, I can only presume I’m around the same age (or even older...good ‘ol 30’s) as some current practicing pharmacists on here, and how was it I saw this coming before 4 years ago and the rest of y’all didn’t? I made plans to be financially more secure than others who jumped on the bandwagon.

So I ask again, what is it everyone would tell pre-pharms that they didn’t already know? Thus far, nothing because ignorance breeds itself (unfortunately). What is being stated now is just as true (even more so) as it was 4 years ago.

I chose pharmacy when the gravy train was not just at the station, but the gravy was flowing fast and furious, back in 2001. No way would I be entering pharmacy school today, and I do discourage those who ask me about it, even though for me personally pharmacy degree has been a boon.

Pharmacy is still going to be great for select few. A few hundred people who land great residencies/fellowships that will launch them into their dream careers. For everyone else, it's going to be OK at best. It's not even about competing with the other 14,000 newly minted pharmacists, the general work conditions and compensation are going to be worse for every one of you.

I can't believe in 2019 that anyone in their right mind would consider pharmacy. Jobs are hard to come by, even in the boonies. 2023 is going to be even more scary. Older pharmacists refuse to retire, and schools still want to increase the graduate count.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are still naive in this world. Pharmacy school recruiters are practically paid to lie to them by telling them that they’ll all find six figure job offers. The pre-pharms salivate over the dollar signs until they realize that they’re stuck with a six figure debt with no prospect of finding a full time job. That’s what they get for not doing their research.

Certainly too many kids are too naive about the hard realities of life. A lot of cognitive biases going on, it's easy to see one person succeed and think "if they can, so can I" even if for every one person who succeeded there were hundreds, thousands or even millions who tried and failed.

It only takes 10 minutes on google search to find out that pharmacist is not such a great career option for most people.

I do understand why there are many kids trying to become pharmacists. I truly do.
But they must know that things have changed now. There are better ways to make money, be independent, help people and be respectful member of society than being a pharmacist.

I tend to go back and forth whether or not I feel bad for the upcoming graduating classes. I try to warn every single student that I meet of the current market. It’s difficult because I actually love my job. My district has gone from typically hiring 8-10 new grads a year to only a few. Staff RPh hours are being reduced and there hasn’t been any open shifts in months. I recently called out sick because a fellow pharmacist asked me too. They rely on the extra shifts to pay their student loans. I think a lot of students ignore the advice because they think we’re giving it for selfish reasons. Now I just encourage them to talk to the most recent graduating classes on their experiences. It seems to be the only way they’ll listen.

Fred’s Pharmacy just announced that they’re going to close another 129 stores.

...That’s what they get for not doing their research.
That is the scary thing though. Pre pharm students are doing their research and are well aware of the situation. But they get advice from pre pharm youtubers telling everyone to ignore your pharmacists and anyone else that tells you that the saturation is not going to treat you well. You really can't change these people's minds because they would rather be in denial.

It only takes 10 minutes on google search to find out that pharmacist is not such a great career option for most people.
For some people it only takes 10 minutes in the pharmacy to realize the career is not for them, lmao

That is the scary thing though. Pre pharm students are doing their research and are well aware of the situation. But they get advice from pre pharm youtubers telling everyone to ignore your pharmacists and anyone else that tells you that the saturation is not going to treat you well. You really can't change these people's minds because they would rather be in denial.

For some people it only takes 10 minutes in the pharmacy to realize the career is not for them, lmao

YouTube has that much influence on these prepharms? Reminds me of that heaven's gate cult in the 90s.

YouTube has that much influence on these prepharms? Reminds me of that heaven's gate cult in the 90s.

If youre picking a career based on attention seeking wanna be motivational speakers whos sole purpose is to get you to listen to them just so they could get clicks, you got issues... haha

I hate to pile on the gloom and doom, but the market is pretty bad and it's only going to get worse. I have several years hospital experience, BC-ADM, and BCPS and it took me two years of applying to find a job on the east coast back home. I can't imagine for current students how it's going to be in two to four years.

There are a couple scenarios where I think students can still apply to pharmacy school.
1. If you are graduating with no loans (GI Bill or HPSP or IHS scholarship).
2. You have no family and are willing and able to move anywhere in the country

Reactions: 4 users
If your dad is the pharmacy supervisor of Walgreens or CVS or if your dad is a hospital administrator, then you can still apply to pharmacy school.