Yet another Step I experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jed2023

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read tons of Step I experiences on SDN over the last year or so, and so I figured I might as well contribute my own. My overall experience was good, although now that's it's over, I have a number of opinions that differ quite a bit from those which I have heard repeated as gospel.

What I found surprising:

What blew me away about the test was the raw number of questions that were about general principles, meaning that you couldn't study for them by simply popping open first aid and memorizing some random crap. Although LAUGHABLE in retrospect, I "browsed" (picture= furious page turning) First Aid on my subway ride up to Penn Station, my testing site. Didn't net me a single question! A good percentage, perhaps the majority, of the questions required knowing general principles and being able to think on the fly. They'd give you a totally novel, or straight out weird, application of something you've probably seen before, but if you hadn't processed it but had simply memorized it. . . well, good luck answering usmle q's.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, I think, depends on your perspective. It seems like the test is designed so that after preparing for a limited period of time, you'll plateau with minor additions to your databank of memorized trivia making little difference. In an academic journal (you can search my posts if you want to find the exact reference), some researcher placed this at about 3 weeks. I didn't believe them. Now I do.

Another thing that stood out was the large number of visual questions, not so much pictures as graphs, charts, arrows, etc. None of the question banks out there approach the real step I in terms of the percentage of questions that have information presenting in a graphical or pictorial format. Actually it makes the questions easier to interpret, but if you aren't used to it, it can slow down your thinking and/or accuracy.

About randomization:

My test had a pretty fair distribution of questions w/ the emphasis definitely being on path, as most people report. I got only a handful of molecular bio questions, 4 or 5. I had been expecting more (and prepared more for these), having heard that some people got nailed on this. Must be true that the test truly is randomized. I used to think that some people were off their rocker, had selective recall, or were making up stuff, but apparently it ain't so. Tests do differ. Recall accuracy differs but I think most people are at least in the right ballpark when they give estimates.

About "hard" and "easy" subjects:

I've heard many people here talk about hard subjects (mol bio, genetics, immuno, and whatnot) and easy subjects (supposedly pharm and micro). I think that's bunk. Within EVERY subject area there were easy questions (how many fingers are there on the hand?), med-easy, med-hard, hard, and WTF questions. And this only makes sense, since within each category they are probably trying to generate something resembling a Gaussian distribution.

Numbers going in:

Q bank 82%, all randomized (range 68-92), finished all but last 200 q's
Q book 76%, did these before q bank
NBME Assessment 690, 1 week before, never had time for the 2nd one
Rapid Review Q book (by the Goljan dude) 70's, first question set I did and never computed average

What helped, what didn't:

I did most of the standard things other people have done to prepare. And most of them were useful to some extent, but in the end, were they really all that useful?

Instead of disparaging what I thought sucked, I thought I'd mention what seemed good.

Thumbs up -->

NBME assessments (these are absolutely the closest to the style of questioning that you will get to the real thing). If you have to choose between q-bank and these, it isn't even a competition. Q-bank was good for practicing doing randomized sets of 50, so you could develop the ebb and flow of computerized testing, but other than that, it was only so-so. Especially ridiculous about q-bank is the fact that they ask too many ridicously detailed questions that the step usually doesn't even seem to get into. Out of the 350 questions I got on the real deal, fewer than 10% of the questions revolved around not having been exposed to a concept before. The problem was usually a secondary or tertiary block in thinking through the problem, or not knowing quite enough about a common subject. With q-bank the block is too often simply not even being able to recognize the concept because you haven't been exposed to it. (guess I couldn't help disparaging q-bank)

Robbins Pathology Review (the question book) - I did these during my path course, but forgot all about them during usmle prep. Thinking back, the questions in this book, especially the ones on general path, are closer to step I questions than the ones I labored through in the last month of prep.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats men

so i guess u didn?t use BSS

i actually wanted to flip through FA on my way to penn also....but couldn?t get a seat on the A train.

and i agree...this exam, at least mine...was about broad knowledge of general concepts.....rather than minute details.....cypm

I agree with you. q-bank was kind of useless in that it really focused on details rather than concepts. I guess if you got the concept stuff somewhere else the q-bank questions would help you solidify the concepts.

I had never heard of that study where you only need 3 weeks for step 1 then after that it's little improvement. After finally taking the thing, I admit I probably could have had about 1 week less. Interesting

Congrats on finishing the test. Good post. It hit on stuff I didn't even realize. Now just relax until wards. :D

Congratulations, and thanks for giving us your insights.

A USMLE question writer visited our school, and said that 3 to 4 weeks was plenty to review material. I, too, have heard about that report that says you'll likely plateau in 3-4 weeks. I believe it said in some cases, studying for an extended period of time may actually hurt you. It's nice to know that concepts, rather than regurgitation, seems to be the focus.

Many of my classmates are taking a 6 day-a-week, 8 hour-a-day review course from Kaplan. I refused to shell out over $3k and spend MORE time in class, when I've just spent the last 2 years of my life sitting in a lecture hall being deluged with notes. Let's face it, if I didn't learn it in 2 years, there's no way I can re-learn it in 6 weeks. I can review the material just fine on my own, I think (hope :D )!

Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
jed2023 said:
Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, I think, depends on your perspective. It seems like the test is designed so that after preparing for a limited period of time, you'll plateau with minor additions to your databank of memorized trivia making little difference. In an academic journal (you can search my posts if you want to find the exact reference), some researcher placed this at about 3 weeks. I didn't believe them. Now I do.

Yep. :) I think the main objective of the question writers to get you to apply the information you learned over two years of SCHOOL, not two months of First Aid. Of course, one person's exam will seem to come straight out of first aid, and another's exam won't. But in general, if you want to kill this exam and not just hit the mean, you'll need to have paid attention during your basic science years. 3 weeks sounds like a good "plateau point" but that will vary

Another thing that stood out was the large number of visual questions, not so much pictures as graphs, charts, arrows, etc. None of the question banks out there approach the real step I in terms of the percentage of questions that have information presenting in a graphical or pictorial format. Actually it makes the questions easier to interpret, but if you aren't used to it, it can slow down your thinking and/or accuracy.

This is a good point, and something I didn't really emphasize enough when I described my impression of the exam. There were so many more DRAWINGS than I expected. I'm not talking about MRIs, CTs, etc., I'm talking about some flow charts, chemical structure depictions, graphs. This really surprised me, but no one else has really commented on this much lately, so could've just been my exam

Within EVERY subject area there were easy questions (how many fingers are there on the hand?), med-easy, med-hard, hard, and WTF questions. And this only makes sense, since within each category they are probably trying to generate something resembling a Gaussian distribution.

I completely agree. What truly makes a particular subject difficult is if you yourself are not prepared well enough for it. Good point.

Robbins Pathology Review (the question book) - I did these during my path course, but forgot all about them during usmle prep. Thinking back, the questions in this book, especially the ones on general path, are closer to step I questions than the ones I labored through in the last month of prep.

Again, I completely agree. Those general pathology chapters were worth a thousand times their weight in gold.

Hope you did well, congratulations!! :D

I am glad that other people find Q bank just as irritating as I do! I mean it is just amazing that they test over details and complex equations so much instead of concepts... it is just like their MCAT prep. (Sorry to rip on kaplan but I can't help it after my last block of ?'s... i need to vent a little)

For those of you who aren't going to finish qbank here is a lil boost; one of my good buddies only did about 600 questions and scored a 250 last year (of course he knew all the HY and BRS + FAID cold!)...

Anyhow I have a slight problem; I recently ran out of my qbank subscription and bought a new one... unfortunately it erased all my question history... now I just keep getting repeats, and I don't know how to gauge if I am even close to ready to take the exam or what I should do to measure if I really know this stuff. Anyone have some ideas? Thanks!

- RA

Stinger86 said:
Yep. :) I think the main objective of the question writers to get you to apply the information you learned over two years of SCHOOL, not two months of First Aid. Of course, one person's exam will seem to come straight out of first aid, and another's exam won't. But in general, if you want to kill this exam and not just hit the mean, you'll need to have paid attention during your basic science years. D

Perceptive points. I actually prefer it this way because it seems more substantive and less random (not to mention that it aligns with the way that I tend to study). Only wish that I had realized they had the same idea in writing the questions. Could have taken another week of vacation.

To future Step I test takers, before you even set foot in Q-bank or other question banks, do yourself a huge favor and take the online NBME assessment (and perhaps save the 2nd one for nearer the end). It will give you a much more accurate picture of what to expect. And will also show you that memorizing the warts on a pig's butt won't net you more points. I didn't get any super picky questions on my test, other than some anatomy and random histo, but that's the nature of those subjects.

jed, thx for sharing.

you make it sound like people should just take NBME as soon as M2 year is over, and take the STEP1. :)

btw, when you say NBME do you mean the free 150 questions or the 2 $45 question sets?

chef said:
jed, thx for sharing.

you make it sound like people should just take NBME as soon as M2 year is over, and take the STEP1. :)

btw, when you say NBME do you mean the free 150 questions or the 2 $45 question sets?

The NBME exam I was talking about is technically called the comphrehensive basic science self assessment (CBSSA). Yes, they charge you $45 for each one, which is a drag but worth it. They also give you a performance profile w/ strengths and weaknesses and a comparison with other step 1 takers (who already took the same questions, apparently, for their actual step exam), mean 500, SD=100.

The released questions are pretty good but are not quite up to the same level of difficulty as the CBSSA, although I know a few here disagree about that. You'll find that most people score about 10 to 15 points higher on the released questions than on most other question sources. This is a consistent theme, if you compare the numbers that are being reported by most people.