~2008-2009~"What Are My Chances/Where Should I Apply/What Should I Do" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ryserr,
I think you stand a good chance at PNWU.
for one, you have a very solid app!!
secondly, when i interviewed there, i saw people from PA, OK, FL, and only a couple from the 5-state region. i only remember 2-3 people from the 5state area.
In fact, the staff was pretty familiar with my hometown of Napa...but I don't think that had any influence on them inviting me. You might get a slight edge over others if you are from the 5states, but the interview pool wasn't predominantly 5staters.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, I posted this yesterday, but I'll tell you about my experience (I'm not saying this is word for word how it will be for you).

I was placed on hold for review at all the schools I applied to pending release of my 2nd MCAT score. I was also put on hold for a secondary at 2 schools pending the release of my 2nd MCAT score. This may or may not have been due to a pretty low 1st score, I can't say for sure.

They offered to review my file before the 2nd score came in, but I wanted them to wait for my new score. if you don't care about your 2nd score go ahead and tell the schools to review your application without it! Being put on hold because of your pending MCAT score is not a punishment, as most people make it out to be! :)

If I could do it all over again, I would have gotten my **** together and already had a MCAT score I was happy with before I even submitted my primary to AACOMAS.

Good Luck :luck:
Thank you very much! Yeah, if i decide to apply this year i will do that. What makes me upset is that I have everything in my application pretty outstanding, except for the MCAT, which is absolutely awful. And since i'm taking it in aug 22, the schools will review my application pretty late, and since i'm a international student it might not work on my favor. But I really really wanted to apply this year, but i also don't want it to be a waste of money. I really don't know what to do. :( But thanks again! I really appreciate that!

Thank you very much! Yeah, if i decide to apply this year i will do that. What makes me upset is that I have everything in my application pretty outstanding, except for the MCAT, which is absolutely awful. And since i'm taking it in aug 22, the schools will review my application pretty late, and since i'm a international student it might not work on my favor. But I really really wanted to apply this year, but i also don't want it to be a waste of money. I really don't know what to do. :( But thanks again! I really appreciate that!

You're very welcome! :)

You got my PM, right? Your MCAT is not everything. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You're very welcome! :)

You got my PM, right? Your MCAT is not everything. ;)

Just now saw your PM. T H A N K Y O U !!! Seriously...I would hug you if I could! I really appreciate that! :D

I took the MCAT in May and received a disappointing 25Q (8PS 8VB 9BS). I was getting 10-11 on my practice testing in the verbal section. I had read that 25 was the average for accepted DO students, but my advisor told me I should definitely retake. Mean GPA 3.2 Science GPA 3.3 in biomedical engineering program at top University, clinical experience for past two years, great letters of recommendation. Am I not competitive with this MCAT score for DO school this cycle?? Thanks for your help:love:.

I took the MCAT in May and received a disappointing 25Q (8PS 8VB 9BS). I was getting 10-11 on my practice testing in the verbal section. I had read that 25 was the average for accepted DO students, but my advisor told me I should definitely retake. Mean GPA 3.2 Science GPA 3.3 in biomedical engineering program at top University, clinical experience for past two years, great letters of recommendation. Am I not competitive with this MCAT score for DO school this cycle?? Thanks for your help:love:.

If I were you, I would apply... and apply broadly if you can. I don't see why you wouldn't take a chance. On the same token, I would retake the MCAT... you could then update your applications with your new fab score which keeps you fresh on adcom's minds, or use it again for next cycle if this one doesn't pan out.

I do know one thing for sure, you definately will not get in if you don't apply! :luck:

You should get in somewhere, so i would apply. You will have some trouble to get into some schools though due to a low gpa and an around average mcat. If you apply broadly you will be successful getting in. If you first choice has a high mcat average, i would think about retaking.

Typical question I know but I would still appreciate the insights. A bit long winded but I would prefer to give as much info as possible

I am 28. A couple of years ago I decided to quit my job as a Social Studies teacher and go into a post-bacc program. Went to the Program at the University of Vermont, hit a wall with physics there and moved down south with my wife to take physics at the school she teaches at. My grades are good overall (so far) but I am expecting no better than a “C” in my upcoming physics courses. During the next two semesters I will be taking physics and working, no other classes, I don’t know if that looks good.

I honestly did not know what field of health sciences I wanted to go into when I started, I’ve considered D.O., and Nursing, but lately have been leaning towards dentistry. But frankly I want to get as many opinions from as many people as possible before I get to my final decision. So I have put up this post on a few boards to see what people have to say. I am thinking MCAT in or around January after Physics I is over.

I would like to roll out my stats ( One other issue is that my grades are coming from six separate schools, even though all the core pre-reqs except physics are from UVM) and get feedback from anyone nice enough to take their time to look this over. Thanks

Undergrad GPA Hartwick College: 3.426 BA History / Teacher Certification

Graduate GPA The University of Scranton: 3.83 MS Education

Broome Community College Courses

Pre A and P: A
A and P 1: A
A and P 2: A

Post Bacc program University of Vermont:

Intro to Psych: A
Health care Systems: B+
Bio I: A
Bio II: A
Chem I: B+
Chem II: A-
Orgo I: B+
Orgo II: B
Biochem: A-
Phys 1: W

Community College of Vermont Courses:

Microbiology: A
Intro to Nutrition: A
Developmental Psych: A

Catawba College:

Phys 1: Will take this fall (Assume I will get a C)
Phys 2: Will take this Spring (Assume I will get a C)

At time of application will have worked for 3 years as an in home aid to the elderly/disabled

50+ hours on a research project on health literacy

No Idea what my MCAT will be yet (no less than 21)

5 hours thus far shadowing DO, working to remedy that.

Thanks again to any who look this over, any insights would be really helpful, optimism is appreciated but honesty preferred.

Clueless: you're still a ways away from applying, but if you want to go to med school, you'll probably be able to. Don't drop physics again, finish your pre-requisites strong, and have a solid MCAT. I don't think you're that much of a longshot. You know what it takes to do well in school. You just need to get the subjects down.

Being a doctor is a lot different from being a nurse or a dentist. Have you looked closely into these fields?

Being an ER nurse would be cool. Being a nurse anywhere else would suck balls. But then again, there are CRNA's who make serious bank and don't have to really do anything, but if you're going to invest that much time, you might as well go to med school.

Posted via Mobile Device

Typical question I know but I would still appreciate the insights. A bit long winded but I would prefer to give as much info as possible

I am 28. A couple of years ago I decided to quit my job as a Social Studies teacher and go into a post-bacc program. Went to the Program at the University of Vermont, hit a wall with physics there and moved down south with my wife to take physics at the school she teaches at. My grades are good overall (so far) but I am expecting no better than a “C” in my upcoming physics courses. During the next two semesters I will be taking physics and working, no other classes, I don’t know if that looks good.

I honestly did not know what field of health sciences I wanted to go into when I started, I’ve considered D.O., and Nursing, but lately have been leaning towards dentistry. But frankly I want to get as many opinions from as many people as possible before I get to my final decision. So I have put up this post on a few boards to see what people have to say. I am thinking MCAT in or around January after Physics I is over.

I would like to roll out my stats ( One other issue is that my grades are coming from six separate schools, even though all the core pre-reqs except physics are from UVM) and get feedback from anyone nice enough to take their time to look this over. Thanks

Undergrad GPA Hartwick College: 3.426 BA History / Teacher Certification

Graduate GPA The University of Scranton: 3.83 MS Education

Broome Community College Courses

Pre A and P: A
A and P 1: A
A and P 2: A

Post Bacc program University of Vermont:

Intro to Psych: A
Health care Systems: B+
Bio I: A
Bio II: A
Chem I: B+
Chem II: A-
Orgo I: B+
Orgo II: B
Biochem: A-
Phys 1: W

Community College of Vermont Courses:

Microbiology: A
Intro to Nutrition: A
Developmental Psych: A

Catawba College:

Phys 1: Will take this fall (Assume I will get a C)
Phys 2: Will take this Spring (Assume I will get a C)

At time of application will have worked for 3 years as an in home aid to the elderly/disabled

50+ hours on a research project on health literacy

No Idea what my MCAT will be yet (no less than 21)

5 hours thus far shadowing DO, working to remedy that.

Thanks again to any who look this over, any insights would be really helpful, optimism is appreciated but honesty preferred.

Physics is not impossible, dont go into that class with that mentality or you will do bad. if you are that woried about physics i would just refresh now. So you do well in the fall. refresh on simple physics like vectors, big 5, force, work which will be a major part of your first test for physics 1, and it should be easy and that where you make your money in physics 1. Your mcat will decide alot for you. A 21 will put you in all sort of trouble, aim higher. Dont be so negative :p

Hey all I really need some advice

I have an overall 3.3 GPA, Science GPA is 3.13 Nonscience is 3.6

I am re-taking my MCAT for the 3rd time, I don't really want to post my scores because I am kind of embarrassed. Anywho...

I am planning to retake July 8th. I already sent out my primary application and I am PRAYING for atleast a 27.

However, I do not feel at this point 100% confident, should I resched for Aug? I really wanted to be considered as an early applicant but with an Aug test date I suppose I will not be considered early anymore

What do you suggest I do, and what score do you guys think should get me atleast 1 acceptance? I am from NY, I am a Licensed Practical Nurse, I have a bunch of extracurricular's and healthcare work.

Please help, do you think a month will be enough for me to bring me up by a couple of points?

Thank you all, and for those who have low GPA's like mine and not GREAT MCATs and still got it, pleaseee PM me I would really love to hear from you

thanks a lot

Hey all I really need some advice

I have an overall 3.3 GPA, Science GPA is 3.13 Nonscience is 3.6

I am re-taking my MCAT for the 3rd time, I don't really want to post my scores because I am kind of embarrassed. Anywho...

I am planning to retake July 8th. I already sent out my primary application and I am PRAYING for atleast a 27.

However, I do not feel at this point 100% confident, should I resched for Aug? I really wanted to be considered as an early applicant but with an Aug test date I suppose I will not be considered early anymore

What do you suggest I do, and what score do you guys think should get me atleast 1 acceptance? I am from NY, I am a Licensed Practical Nurse, I have a bunch of extracurricular's and healthcare work.

Please help, do you think a month will be enough for me to bring me up by a couple of points?

Thank you all, and for those who have low GPA's like mine and not GREAT MCATs and still got it, pleaseee PM me I would really love to hear from you

thanks a lot
You might want to consider to change it for august if you don't too confident because you already took it twice, and four times might be too much, so make sure you get the score you want first, and then worry about applying. If it is too late, there's always a next year. ;) i took mine on may 10 and i'm retaking it in aug 22. so you won't be the only one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Random question...

I'm applying for the fall of 2009, and havent taken my MCATs yet...I'm planning on taking them in September, I know that's late...but can i still apply without MCAT scores and tell them I'm taking them in september?

I'm a double Major:
Neurobiology, Physiology & Behavior
as well as Political Science

GPA: approximately 3.3

I'm also a Phlebotomist, volunteer at a community clinic, and administrator at an assisted living for the elderly for the past 2 years.

Any Thoughts?
Please share your experiences...

Some schools take your application but then will put it aside pending MCAT scores before they look at it any further. Good on the exam.

Okay, so I have some questions of you people who've gotten in etc.

Here are my stats:

Major: Ex Physiology/Comprehensive Science
Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.5

Research: Presented ACSM (New Orleans Conference) research on physical modes of transportation as opposed to physically inactive modes. (Research mentioned in USA today, Men's Health, Prevention)

Volunteer hours: Probably about 100. I've tutored, proctored labs, community service, and did magic shows.

MCAT: I'm scheduled to take the MCAT August 15th and I will be filling out primary applications just as soon as I get my score. My practice scores have been anywhere from 28 to 33.

Patient care hours: I have 300 hours of direct patient care. These include working cardiac rehabilitation and at an osteopathic physician's office.

DO Shadowing: As mentioned above, I volunteered at a physician's office which eventually led to a paying job (It was a great learning experience for me). My total DO Shadowing hours is somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 to 250.

Okay, that's the good ( I think). Now here's the bad...

This may sound stupid, but what I'm wondering is if being fat (which I am) can hinder me getting into school. Currently I'm 6'4'' and weigh 320 lbs. I'm down from 350 from 3 months ago and have been dieting successfully from that time. Now I know people will tell me that there are rules for discrimination and blah blah blah. But people discriminate all the time and I'm a realist. I know I can get down to my goal weight of 220, but not by the time of interviews. Best case scenario is 260 at the time of interviews, but that's still a little big.

Anyway, towards the end of my six year stint in the Air Force I became really depressed which ultimately led to my weight gain of 80 lbs in one year. When I was discharged (honorably and after deployment) I just kept gaining weight. Anyway, long story short (too late....Clue reference) I'm losing weight but I will still be big at interview time.

Will this hinder my chances?

Okay, so I have some questions of you people who've gotten in etc.

Here are my stats:

Major: Ex Physiology/Comprehensive Science
Overall GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.5

Research: Presented ACSM (New Orleans Conference) research on physical modes of transportation as opposed to physically inactive modes. (Research mentioned in USA today, Men's Health, Prevention)

Volunteer hours: Probably about 100. I've tutored, proctored labs, community service, and did magic shows.

MCAT: I'm scheduled to take the MCAT August 15th and I will be filling out primary applications just as soon as I get my score. My practice scores have been anywhere from 28 to 33.

Patient care hours: I have 300 hours of direct patient care. These include working cardiac rehabilitation and at an osteopathic physician's office.

DO Shadowing: As mentioned above, I volunteered at a physician's office which eventually led to a paying job (It was a great learning experience for me). My total DO Shadowing hours is somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 to 250.

Okay, that's the good ( I think). Now here's the bad...

This may sound stupid, but what I'm wondering is if being fat (which I am) can hinder me getting into school. Currently I'm 6'4'' and weigh 320 lbs. I'm down from 350 from 3 months ago and have been dieting successfully from that time. Now I know people will tell me that there are rules for discrimination and blah blah blah. But people discriminate all the time and I'm a realist. I know I can get down to my goal weight of 220, but not by the time of interviews. Best case scenario is 260 at the time of interviews, but that's still a little big.

Anyway, towards the end of my six year stint in the Air Force I became really depressed which ultimately led to my weight gain of 80 lbs in one year. When I was discharged (honorably and after deployment) I just kept gaining weight. Anyway, long story short (too late....Clue reference) I'm losing weight but I will still be big at interview time.

Will this hinder my chances?

I don't know, hopefully not.

But best of luck on the dieting.. I know its tough

I am sort of in the same situation. I already submitted the AACOMAS application, with my previous MCAT score.. not so great ( low 20's), I indicated on the application that I will retake in August. Do you thinks that’s too late.. any advice .. thanks :)

I am sort of in the same situation. I already submitted the AACOMAS application, with my previous MCAT score.. not so great ( low 20's), I indicated on the application that I will retake in August. Do you thinks that's too late.. any advice .. thanks :)
I hope not and I'm in the same situation, and i haven't even submitted yet but expect to very soon. My gpa is pretty solid.

I would say you have a good shot. I didn't apply until February (eek I know) to four schools, and got 2 interview invites, and an acceptance and a waitlist. I seriously handed my apps in very close to the deadline. 30Q MCAT, 3.1 science, 3.49 overall. You definitely have a shot. Juts get your apps in ASAP.

Btw I want to reiterate that you really should get your apps in ASAP. I really feel like I had a big dose of luck helping me out by applying so late, but if you want to get in on the early rounds of interviews (good idea, since some schools fill up fast), you should submit your app ASAP. As far as your chances after taking the September MCAT, I'm not sure, but I am guessing that you'd still have good chances at many schools. Where are you looking at applying?

Like others have said, fill out your primary now and any secondaries you may recieve, just press on without your MCAT scores. You should be fine with your GPA and your hands on patient care clinical experience. Just because you don't have your MCAT scores doesn't mean you should delay the application process until you do.

I disagree with trying to take it earlier, take it when you are ready. Getting your MCAT scores out in Sep with a 30+ vs getting them out in July/Aug with a 25 is a big difference.

I would say you have a good shot. I didn't apply until February (eek I know) to four schools, and got 2 interview invites, and an acceptance and a waitlist. I seriously handed my apps in very close to the deadline. 30Q MCAT, 3.1 science, 3.49 overall. You definitely have a shot. Juts get your apps in ASAP.
That's great. congratulations. But..did you apply to DO or MD schools? And which ones? Thanks in advance

So I think my stats arent too bad...

About a 3.2 overall GPA, double major in (neurobiology, physiology & behavior) and (Political Science- IR) My GPA has been on the rise and should go up by the end of summer (taking 6 courses)...

I've been volunteering at an assisted living community for the past almost 7 years, and have stepped up my position there to almost administrative level (where i work now) --40 bedroom assisted living community for the elderly.

I've been volunteering at a community clinic under UC-Davis as a phlebotomist, drawing blood every sunday... (their only phlebotomist)

I'm taking the MCATs late....end of august, but i'm planning on applying now.

the only downside (along with many other)..but the major downside I have is a C- in biochemistry.... But I got a B in bio-metabolism (which is technically the continuing course for it)....

I also got a C- in general physics...but I made up for it but dropping general physics as a whole and completing the whole Physics for Engineers series and excelling in it.

....Let's say my MCATs come out to about a 28-30...should I apply?

My main concerns as of now are my C- in biochem, and sort of late in the app process (taking mcats in august)....some students advised me to apply...

what do you all think... fill me in. and oh, i cant retake biochem by the time i submit my apps.

tell me how screwed i am.

That's great. congratulations. But..did you apply to DO or MD schools? And which ones? Thanks in advance

Both, PM me for my mdapplicants profile if you're really curious.

PersianDO,

I had a few Cs on my transcript. My school didn't have C-s, but be sure to check that the schools you're applying to accepts C-s, but some don't (I think LECOM? for premed requirements, but double check on the websites). Nevertheless, you can still get in with Cs; it's been done many times before.

Don't get so discouraged. While those grades might hold you back from getting in an allopathic school, if you've shown improvement and have a well-rounded applications, you will still be viewed favorably at a DO school. As far as the MCAT score, you'll probably be fine with a 28-30, but to be super-competitive, aim for that solid 30 (which really means, aim higher than a 30 so that you can ensure yourself one) and you should have no problems.

Good luck!!

So I think my stats arent too bad...

About a 3.2 overall GPA, double major in (neurobiology, physiology & behavior) and (Political Science- IR) My GPA has been on the rise and should go up by the end of summer (taking 6 courses)...

I've been volunteering at an assisted living community for the past almost 7 years, and have stepped up my position there to almost administrative level (where i work now) --40 bedroom assisted living community for the elderly.

I've been volunteering at a community clinic under UC-Davis as a phlebotomist, drawing blood every sunday... (their only phlebotomist)

I'm taking the MCATs late....end of august, but i'm planning on applying now.

the only downside (along with many other)..but the major downside I have is a C- in biochemistry.... But I got a B in bio-metabolism (which is technically the continuing course for it)....

I also got a C- in general physics...but I made up for it but dropping general physics as a whole and completing the whole Physics for Engineers series and excelling in it.

....Let's say my MCATs come out to about a 28-30...should I apply?

My main concerns as of now are my C- in biochem, and sort of late in the app process (taking mcats in august)....some students advised me to apply...

what do you all think... fill me in. and oh, i cant retake biochem by the time i submit my apps.

tell me how screwed i am.

How low is your science gpa? you have a few c-'s in science courses. If it is around 3.0, then a 28ish will make you competitive

so i'm guessing i should apply?

should i wait for my mcat score or should i submit my application before hand and say that it's pending. how does that work anyway?

hope to hear more responses!

thanks guys/& ladies...

:)

the app process is a killer :scared:

so i'm guessing i should apply?

should i wait for my mcat score or should i submit my application before hand and say that it's pending. how does that work anyway?

hope to hear more responses!

thanks guys/& ladies...

:)

the app process is a killer :scared:

definitely apply now. if you are planning on takeing MCAT in august, you will be pushing it as far as applying late. if you submit now, your app will be verified and you can even begin filling out secondary applications if you have time. the way it works is you put on your app that you are planning on taking MCAT august 2008, and thats it. when you get your scores you update AACOMAS. in the meantime, you should be having your primary app verified so that as SOON as your mcat scores get back you are ready to go and are being considered for interview.

MCAT score 26, just retook the exam...Science GPA: 3.53 Overall GPA: 3.63

Where to apply??

MCAT score 26, just retook the exam...Science GPA: 3.53 Overall GPA: 3.63

Where to apply??

You are fine with the mcat and the gpa. Apply to schools you like, areas you like and apply broadly. If you have decent EC's you will get interviews and acceptances.

Ok, can anyone please calm my nerves...
overall GPA 3.52
Science GPA 3.39
MCAT 29M (damn writing section)
I'm an ultrasound technologist, and I have a DO LOR. Director of Philanthropy for my sorority in undergrad, hospital volunteer work, other run of the mill extracurricular stuff.
I live in PA and would love LECOM or PCOM.

hey i don't know if you were addressing me nervousNJpremed, If you were, did you imply that i should apply now without my mcat score, or that i should wait and apply after i get my mcat score in September..(?)

thank you so much for your input, it really means a lot.

:(

I'm trying to apply to Toucom-California....just because it's close to the area...also other places as well of course, but thats my choice because its hard for me to move right now with family issues.

hope to hear from you.

should i wait and get my mcat score?

Hey guys, Im working on AACOMAS right now. On average, how many schools does a DO applicant apply to? How many schools should I apply to - mcat 27, non sci-3.44, sci - 3.77, overall -3.68? Where can i find gpa/mcat statistics for schools to compare my stats? Also, what exactly should we discuss in the PS - I'm so used to having more direction - ?

thanks guys

Ok, can anyone please calm my nerves...
overall GPA 3.52
Science GPA 3.39
MCAT 29M (damn writing section)
I'm an ultrasound technologist, and I have a DO LOR. Director of Philanthropy for my sorority in undergrad, hospital volunteer work, other run of the mill extracurricular stuff.
I live in PA and would love LECOM or PCOM.

Your fine, your instate and you grades are above both of the schools averages

I'm trying to apply to Toucom-California....just because it's close to the area...also other places as well of course, but thats my choice because its hard for me to move right now with family issues.

hope to hear from you.

should i wait and get my mcat score?

Apply now, when you get your scores, send them to aacomas

Your stats compare favorably everywhere. You are a solid applicant by the numbers, and you will have a chance at any DO school you apply to, with the possible exception of schools with a very strong in-state preference.

A DO applicant will apply to as many schools as they want. Do some research, find out which schools you like, and apply to them. Personally, I would prefer schools in or near a large city, but that's just me.

Thanks for the encouragement, but my stats aren't that great - i repeated my ochem class after not passing it the first time.

**** happens. You should still be fine, although that does make a little bit of a difference, potentially.

What state do you live in?

You may find this thread helpful:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5184261&postcount=192

Your best bet for MCAT / GPA averages for individual schools would be their respective websites. The aforementioned link does mention the numbers for a few schools. I don't know if they are the most up to date though. Aside from maybe some schools that strongly favor in-state residents, as TexasTriathlete said, I think your numbers would be competitive for whichever DO schools you apply to.

As for the PS, most people write something along the lines of an answer to "Why medicine?" or "Why do you want to be a doctor?".

You will apply to the following places:

1. Western COMP
2. Touro-MI
3. Touro-NV
4. DMU
5. LECOM-Bradenton
6. PCOM
7. GA-PCOM
8. AZCOM
9. CCOM
10. Nova Southeastern

You may also consider:

1. NYCOM
2. Touro-NY
3. TCOM (if you don't mind another application service)
4. KCUMB

At least that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

I'd add SOMA to TT's list if you would like to stay near/in cali.

if you wanna save $$$, go to an excellent school, and considering small class size, apply to: umdnj. they only accept just over 100 people a year with a top OPTI and fellowship program

I posted earlier that I have had a very low MCAT and wanted to know if I should apply now or wait until I retake in July or August. I called several schools and talked with them and they said as long as I am getting a decent score on my practice tests I should apply now. I wanted to know should I go ahead and listen and apply possibly wasting money or should I just wait? I don't know biased the schools answers would be because they may just want my money? As you can tell money is very tight for me at this moment.

I posted earlier that I have had a very low MCAT and wanted to know if I should apply now or wait until I retake in July or August. I called several schools and talked with them and they said as long as I am getting a decent score on my practice tests I should apply now. I wanted to know should I go ahead and listen and apply possibly wasting money or should I just wait? I don't know biased the schools answers would be because they may just want my money? As you can tell money is very tight for me at this moment.

well, are you getting decent scores on your practice tests?

Based on your score, I would wait... Many schools will screen your application. gl. Nail the mcat this time!

if you wanna save $$$, go to an excellent school, and considering small class size, apply to: umdnj. they only accept just over 100 people a year with a top OPTI and fellowship program

Keep in mind though that as a state school they favor NJ residents (or at least people with ties to the state).

Me too...

Science GPA: 3.01
Non-science: 3.36
Cummulative: 3.25

Great volunteering, shadowing, & leadership
Published & presented research
Great LOR's, (one from D.O.)

Taking the MCAT July 18th, I am hoping for 30+ based on practice tests. I know many have suggested to submit your application before getting MCAT scores. BUT...

I am taking 2 more science classes this summer that I know I can do well in and will bump my science GPA up to 3.11. Should I wait to apply after I complete these courses or submit my application now and send an updated transcript later?

Also, I took the MCAT back in 2003 and didn't do very well. (26S). I know schools don't even take scores from that far back (and I definitely don't want them to see that score) but do I have to report them regardless of how old they are?

I am planning on applying everywhere! Do you think I can get in somewhere?