2009-2010 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also random question, not just for this school but any school. they say they prefer a LOR from a pre med advisor/ committee, which I have. Is it poor form to submit additional letters if you think they are good and would help you out?? I don't want to be annoying, but I dont want all my good letters to go to waste.
UVa's pre-med committee letter is just a general assessment of your qualities. They don't read your LORs and write a composite letter like a lot of other schools do. So you'll want to submit the committtee letter and your additional letters at every school.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know at Georgetown, if you don't use the pre-med committee recommendation, you'd better have a damn good reason as to why not. There, the committee actually looked at my transcript, resume, personal statement, and four recommendations before giving you one of the following rankings: Do not recommend, recommend with reservation, recommend, highly recommend, and highest recommendation. After getting that, they then write a letter on your behalf and incorporate your earlier LOR into one huge packet. Phew...it was a pain in the arse

Oh, and to answer the aforementioned question, it doesn't hurt you to send more if you send in letters that really show something about you that the ad coms can't find elsewhere, and that your recommenders really know you. If not, then you're just wasting their precious time...

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know at Georgetown, if you don't use the pre-med committee recommendation, you'd better have a damn good reason as to why not. There, the committee actually looked at my transcript, resume, personal statement, and four recommendations before giving you one of the following rankings: Do not recommend, recommend with reservation, recommend, highly recommend, and highest recommendation. After getting that, they then write a letter on your behalf and incorporate your earlier LOR into one huge packet. Phew...it was a pain in the arse
likewise at Duke. for us, they had us mock interview, and then they decide if they will write a committee letter for you. med schools know that Duke, and other places that do this, has a committee letter. so if you don't have one and you're from Duke (or etc.), then that's a major red flag.

I'm complete as of yesterday. Hopefully it won't take too long for us to hear something...

as far as the diversity prompt, i'm writing about my background in social sciences and internship experiences - lobbying on the Hill, etc. does that seem alright?

I honestly didn't try that for this app. But I was having the same problem with Baylor's and it fixed it there. Didn't work for me either on UVA's. No paragraphs is annoying. :thumbdown:

So.. did anyone figure out how to make paragraph breaks yet? I tried html and that didn't work either. :mad:

So.. did anyone figure out how to make paragraph breaks yet? I tried html and that didn't work either. :mad:

Haha, at least I'm not the only one! I felt so nerdy trying html, but the lack of paragraph breaks is driving me crazy :(

Haha, at least I'm not the only one! I felt so nerdy trying html, but the lack of paragraph breaks is driving me crazy :(

Actually, I called the adm office yesterday and asked them about that, and the lady said that WE can't see the paragraph breaks, but once we submit the application, they CAN see everything the way we put it in (with breaks and etc). So that's all that matters I guess. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
About the HTML not working... what you are typing is encoded, so it converts < to &lt; Therefore I do not suggest that you try to use HTML.

Is anyone one here REALLY familiar with VA in-state rules? I have sort of a weird position. Basically, I have never lived in VA, but my husband is a legal resident and pays VA taxes and everything, but he is military and we aren't stationed there. I have found a bunch of stuff about non-VA residents that are stationed in VA qualifying as instate, but nothing about VA residents stationed outside of VA. I mean, I'm going to call Mon., but patience isn't one of my strong points, so if anyone knows I would really appreciate it!

Is anyone one here REALLY familiar with VA in-state rules? I have sort of a weird position. Basically, I have never lived in VA, but my husband is a legal resident and pays VA taxes and everything, but he is military and we aren't stationed there. I have found a bunch of stuff about non-VA residents that are stationed in VA qualifying as instate, but nothing about VA residents stationed outside of VA. I mean, I'm going to call Mon., but patience isn't one of my strong points, so if anyone knows I would really appreciate it!

People in the military who are stationed outside of their home state can retain residency.

However - where are you registered to vote? And drive? And do you pay any income taxes to another state? Where was the last state you were a legal resident prior to getting married and/or your husband being stationed outside of VA?

Did you apply to AMCAS yet? What state did you claim?

People in the military who are stationed outside of their home state can retain residency.

However - where are you registered to vote? And drive? And do you pay any income taxes to another state? Where was the last state you were a legal resident prior to getting married and/or your husband being stationed outside of VA?

Did you apply to AMCAS yet? What state did you claim?

I applied to AMCAS as a NE resident, because the spouse/dependent of the mil. member automatically takes the residence where you are stationed. But when I was researching residency for other schools (in NC), I came across a clause that states that people married to state residents can basically "borrow" their spouse's residency status to qualify as in-state. I read VA's laws about it, and it isn't explicitly stated, but there are references all over the place to mil. members retaining residency etc. I personally don't pay income taxes to any other state, cause I just go to school. But our joint income is taxed in VA, so he is still a state resident...

Oh, and I was just wondering because there is a mention on their application for instate residency of mil. members outside of VA who pay VA taxes and claim VA as their state of legal residency. I just wondered if that was sufficient to qualify ME for instate.

I applied to AMCAS as a NE resident, because the spouse/dependent of the mil. member automatically takes the residence where you are stationed.

Nope. While, of course, you can claim to have residency in the state where you're stationed, and most places will accept it, my mom kept her CO residency when we were stationed out in SC during the last bit of high school. I had a SC driver's license (not registered to vote, though, since I wasn't old enough even when I began college) and graduated from a SC high school, but a CO college considered me in-state because my mom was in the military and kept her CO residency. And it should be noted that she didn't move back to CO until after her tour in Kuwait during my first year in college.

Not sure how that would apply to you as the wife of a military member, but that's how it worked for me as the daughter of one.

Oh, and I was just wondering because there is a mention on their application for instate residency of mil. members outside of VA who pay VA taxes and claim VA as their state of legal residency. I just wondered if that was sufficient to qualify ME for instate.

It may, but by claiming another state on AMCAS, you will have a problem.

There are rules about amending / changing AMCAS for state residency purposes. You would need to change that, first, before being able to claim residency in VA - before spinning your wheels, you should look at the AMCAS rules for making a change.

VA is notoriously tough for claiming instate status - your case may be special, though. They will ask for proof of voting registration, drivers license, car registration, etc., and without those, even though VA is your tax domicile, it may not be enough for your claim of residency.

It may, but by claiming another state on AMCAS, you will have a problem.

There are rules about amending / changing AMCAS for state residency purposes. You would need to change that, first, before being able to claim residency in VA - before spinning your wheels, you should look at the AMCAS rules for making a change.

Most schools require that you fill out some sort of residency form that proves your status one way or the other. She may be able to petition for VA status even if she listed NE as her state of residency.

A CO college considered me in-state because my mom was in the military and kept her CO residency.

Ok, that is basically my question. It should work the same for me because essentially spouse is equivalent to child in terms of being defined as a military dependent. So if a military dependent (in your case, as a child) can claim the mil. member's state of legal residency as their own in CO, hopefully it is the same in VA. I mean, I know UVA still accepts a lot of OOS, so even if it doesn't work I still have a shot, but the odds are much better for IS.

Most schools require that you fill out some sort of residency form that proves your status one way or the other. She may be able to petition for VA status even if she listed NE as her state of residency.

And I actually was asking because there is a section on their IS residency app. that talks about where taxes were paid, etc. But it isn't really definitively laid out, you know?

Does UVA screen OOS for secondaries? If yes, because of the OOS competition, then she has a much higher hurdle to climb just to get to the point where they can be told she is claiming VA residency.

Same is true for EVMS and VCU.

I think she needs to amend her AMCAS, but I think there are problems with doing that, and I think that she probably has no legal address in VA she could use.

On top of that without the VA DL, voter reg, car reg, etc., she will not have a very strong case simply because her military husband claims VA for tax domicile. UVA asks for all of these things on their form - you have to provide documentation, copies of stuff, etc. She hasn't said, but it sounds like she doesn't have any of these.

She should call them on Monday and ask - all we can do is speculate. I have been a Virginia resident for almost my entire life, continuously, and EVMS has asked me for even more documentation to prove it - this is a very tough state for establishing residency. UVA and VCU thankfully accepted my documentation without further questions.

And I actually was asking because there is a section on their IS residency app. that talks about where taxes were paid, etc. But it isn't really definitively laid out, you know?

The form asks very specifically if you or a spouse is military and if VA tax is being paid on that income. It asks for a copy of a Leave and Earnings statement reflecting VA withholding. If you have these, you may be in good shape.

Call and ask. Your case would be greatly strengthened with DL, voter reg, etc., but if you have the other, you may get the IS status.

Good luck.

Does UVA screen OOS for secondaries? If yes, because of the OOS competition, then she has a much higher hurdle to climb just to get to the point where they can be told she is claiming VA residency.

Same is true for EVMS and VCU.

I think she needs to amend her AMCAS, but I think there are problems with doing that, and I think that she probably has no legal address in VA she could use.

On top of that without the VA DL, voter reg, car reg, etc., she will not have a very strong case simply because her military husband claims VA for tax domicile. UVA asks for all of these things on their form - you have to provide documentation, copies of stuff, etc. She hasn't said, but it sounds like she doesn't have any of these.

She should call them on Monday and ask - all we can do is speculate. I have been a Virginia resident for almost my entire life, continuously, and EVMS has asked me for even more documentation to prove it - this is a very tough state for establishing residency. UVA and VCU thankfully accepted my documentation without further questions.

#1 UVA gives secondaries to everyone, at least that is what it said in their confirmation email.

#2 Like I said in the original post, I am going to call Monday, I am just impatient and was wondering if anyone might have any info now. That's my "born in the era of instant gratification, ie. the 80s" coming out...:laugh:

#3 And yes, you're right, I don't have most of that stuff. I do have mil. documents and tax documents though, and for trying to claim VA residency based on those things, that is what they asked for on the residency app. I know I might not be qualified, I just was hoping to relieve some of the anxiety I am feeling at being OOS pretty much everywhere, which lowers my chances significantly at most of the schools I applied to.

Thanks for all the feedback though, I really appreciate it!

Plus I have a pretty good reason for not changing my AMCAS status, though that would be a thought. It is up in the air right now where we will be living: staying here in Neb. or moving to NC. Husband has a job interview in NC in a couple weeks and based on that we might have to move there. If we DON'T move though, I still need my IS status here, because UNeb's OOS acceptance rates are lower than most, like 0.05% or something.

And trust me, this whole job interview thing was a big surprise and it really through a monkey wrench into my med school plans, hence why I added every school within a 4 hour drive of where he might end up getting stationed onto my AMCAS only 2 weeks ago. So yeah, I thought if I could boost my chances anywhere out there, I should do what I could....

I'm excited about this school. Last year the first interviews went out this week, but there were only 1 or 2 of them. Others got them later in August.

Just got an email, I got an interview!

First one too, so this is really quite sweet.

September 1.

Man, now I've got to get a nice cheap suit, figure out how to get there, do some serious reading...

but these are good problems to have!

I got my first interview too!!!! Yay!

Congrats guys.

Interview invite as well

OMG I'm on a roll! Interview invite. Complete 7/10.

Congrats guys. I should have added this school earlier; I wasn't complete until last week. Still, UVa seems really on top of things and from their website it seems like a great place to be.

FINALLY!

I was really starting to wonder...

WOW first interview!!! And I have a pretty low GPA, so this is amazing! Complete 7/27. anyone else interviewing on 9/15? :)

Also, did everyone get those 3 different letter attachments? Why so many?

WOW first interview!!! And I have a pretty low GPA, so this is amazing! Complete 7/27. anyone else interviewing on 9/15? :)

Also, did everyone get those 3 different letter attachments? Why so many?

I only had 2 attachments weird.

I'm excited about the student host program. Should be fun to get an inside perspective from a student. :)

Does anyone else have 8/31 as their date? That seems ridiculously early, but I guess I'm not complaining. And I also wonder why am I seemingly the only one with that day, because my stats aren't high? :confused:

Does anyone else have 8/31 as their date? That seems ridiculously early, but I guess I'm not complaining. And I also wonder why am I seemingly the only one with that day, because my stats aren't high? :confused:
I hope early interviews don't equate to bad stats!!

I'm on for 9/1 (I think, I asked for alternate dates, since I'm going to be in Albany at that time...)

I hope the reason why I haven't gotten an interview yet is because I submitted a week after you guys :/

Oh no!!! now i'm worried :( do you think they send them out in batches? I go to UVA and it was my no. 1. Plus I'm in state...

Oh no!!! now i'm worried :( do you think they send them out in batches? I go to UVA and it was my no. 1. Plus I'm in state...

I'm not sure. But they were staggered. Each email is personalized with name and date of interview so it's gotta take them some time to send them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.