2009-2010 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long are you guys waiting to hear back about the student host program? I emailed a while ago, and still haven't heard anything. Wondering if I should email again...

I gave them two weeks but still hadn't heard back so I sent another email. A few days later, I received a response from some other student and was then mistakenly paired twice. Just send them another email...:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm IS with pretty good stats, file complete 7/16...still haven't heard anything. Hopefully something this week...:xf:

I just got an interview invite. I was starting to get a bit anxious about not hearing from any schools for three weeks. So glad UVA broke that spell :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite. I was starting to get a bit anxious about not hearing from any schools for three weeks. So glad UVA broke that spell :)

Congats!! :D

When were you complete? I'm going through a dry spell too...

How did you guys find information to answer the "Why UVa?" question? I'm going through the website, but I wish I could ask some current students to find out what they personally like about it.

How did you guys find information to answer the "Why UVa?" question? I'm going through the website, but I wish I could ask some current students to find out what they personally like about it.

Watch the video. And mention something about the new curriculum/med school building.
Funny thing was, I didn't even know anything about that when I wrote my essay.

So is anyone else interviewing on Monday? :scared::eek:

Yeah watch the videos. They give you quite insightful information about the school, curriculum, and student life. I think that's all I did and wrote about the things that intrigued me the most.

So is UVA one of those schools that tells us who we are interviewing with?

Yeah watch the videos. They give you quite insightful information about the school, curriculum, and student life. I think that's all I did and wrote about the things that intrigued me the most.

Wow, I'm so interested in this school now. I didn't even consider applying until a week ago. Hope I'm not too late for serious consideration....

Last edited:

What videos are you speaking of?

Interviewed today. It was very low-stress and relaxed. All the students really love the school, and the new medical school building and curriculum will be up by next year, with a new cancer center to follow. Everything with the new stuff is state of the art. Their board scores and residency placements have become amazing over the past 3 or so years. The campus is really pretty, and Charlottesville is a lot more diverse than I thought. Now the wait until October 16th...

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed today. It was very low-stress and relaxed. All the students really love the school, and the new medical school building and curriculum will be up by next year, with a new cancer center to follow. Everything with the new stuff is state of the art. Their board scores and residency placements have become amazing over the past 3 or so years. The campus is really pretty, and Charlottesville is a lot more diverse than I thought. Now the wait until October 16th...

Woo interviews!!!

I was there today too! Haha, it sucks that they get us all hyped about the school only to send us off biting our fingernails.

I was complete in late August. Will it take at least a month to hear something yea or nay?

hey as a cdn applicant, with 32S/sGPA 3.82, should i still try to finish my secondary for this school?? or is it just too late?

tekken3 said:
hey as a cdn applicant, with 32S/sGPA 3.82, should i still try to finish my secondary for this school?? or is it just too late?

Hey I just recently submitted too and I do feel kinda late, but I know someone who submitted around this time, had an oct interview, and was accepted in nov. So at least there's hope.

thx!
i need any hope/motivation i can get!
im losing steam trying to finish all these secondaries aasap!

Interview invite! Well, technically, it was an interview invite confirmation. Apparently they emailed me on 8/5 about coming for an interview on 9/21. I never got it. Thankfully, Janet sent an email today making sure I knew what was up. That day is really not good for me, so I pushed it back into October. Very happy!

On a related note - maybe it's time to switch from Yahoo! Mail to Gmail?

Interview invite! Well, technically, it was an interview invite confirmation. Apparently they emailed me on 8/5 about coming for an interview on 9/21. I never got it. Thankfully, Janet sent an email today making sure I knew what was up. That day is really not good for me, so I pushed it back into October. Very happy!

On a related note - maybe it's time to switch from Yahoo! Mail to Gmail?

Congrats!! And it's been time to switch to gmail.. it's almost as bad as still having hotmail haha ;)

man...been complete since july 16 and still haven't heard anything. :(

Totally agree with all this. UVA was kinda middle of the pack for me pre-interview, but I am really excited about the new curriculum and new med school building. 6,000 sq. ft. of simulation labs and 6,000 sq. ft of standardized patient areas. They're building a fake ER and ambulance bay to bring in standardized "chest pains" in via ambulance. Crazy! I also thought they are making a huge effort to curb competitiveness with the p/f system. At the same time, board scores are going up significantly. Their median last year was a 235 they said, with someone scoring a 280. That's proof enough for me. I'm strongly considering limiting myself to PA, VA, and DC/Balt. area (family reasons), and UVA is now in my top 2 schools probably. It was a good interview to say the least. Low stress and everything.

Got an invite today for Nov. 11. I'm oos (RI). Actually don't know way too much about this school but it seems like they have a really strong program so i'm pumped to check out the campus/ meet some students and professors etc. I was complete around 8/26.

also got an invite! I sent an "in the area" email when I got my duke invite so maybe that helped:)

Got an invite. They scheduled it for me on 10/20, which is a Tuesday. Not just any Tuesday...a Tuesday in which I have a pathophysiology exam and an anatomy exam. I had to postpone it until 11/16. Bleh.

Janet, the interview coordinator, is extremely nice though. She put me on a waiting list for a few given days and if they open up, I'll be the first to know. :love:

Got an invite. They scheduled it for me on 10/20, which is a Tuesday. Not just any Tuesday...a Tuesday in which I have a pathophysiology exam and an anatomy exam. I had to postpone it until 11/16. Bleh.

Janet, the interview coordinator, is extremely nice though. She put me on a waiting list for a few given days and if they open up, I'll be the first to know. :love:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably going to postpone it even later than that.

They only do 6 at a time, so I'd say it's unlikely. Supposedly it's always 3 girls and 3 guys at an interview session.

They only do 6 at a time, so I'd say it's unlikely. Supposedly it's always 3 girls and 3 guys at an interview session.

Not only that, but they pair the guys and girls into three couples. They make the couples sit together at small tables for two for that fancy lunch on the lawn.

Why is this thread so dead?

Anybody else who can report back on the interview day? Something more than the number of guys and girls and the lunch menu? I mean, that is neat to know, but can somebody throw us a frickin' bone here?

It seems like there aren't that many SDNers interested in, or having invitations for, UVA...if you look at the thread from last year, it is kind of similar in the small number of posters who kept that thread alive.

Why is this thread so dead?

Anybody else who can report back on the interview day? Something more than the number of guys and girls and the lunch menu? I mean, that is neat to know, but can somebody throw us a frickin' bone here?

It seems like there aren't that many SDNers interested in, or having invitations for, UVA...if you look at the thread from last year, it is kind of similar in the small number of posters who kept that thread alive.

The dessert is sooooo good. Food is the way to my heart and they sold me.

OK well I interviewed a few weeks ago.

I looked a lot at the interview feedback threads from last year, so I had some ideas of what to expect for the day. Basically things went pretty much like I expected, which is a good thing.

I sat in on a small class from like 8-9:30, that was fine, uneventful. Kids in class seemed pretty cool.

Reported to admissions office at 10:30, I think. Myself and the five other applicants went through an hour or so meeting/discussion/presentation on the school, talking a lot about the new curriculum and how awesome Charlottesville is. The dean that was a guy, forget his name, is very nice, and started things off by going around the room and naming some facts about all six of us. He also occasionally asked us collective questions, in sort of a fun fashion. Like "does anyone know what was rated the most cosmopolitan city in the country?" The answer is Charlottesville, as cosmopolitan-ness is ranked by like the number of independently owned restaurants or something like that. Overall no stress, just chatting and learning.

Went to lunch with two fourth years students, which was obviously good.

Then we had our interviews. There were three interviewers, two older physicians and one MS4. Each interviewee had two 30 minute interviews... I was with the physicians.

Both were very nice, didn't grill me at all. Just talking for 30 minutes, they probably talked as much, or maybe even more than I did. Questions based upon AMCAS and secondary. Both asked about the research I've been doing since graduating. One guy asked about the weakness question on the secondary. Talked about my reasons for getting in to medicine, which is big in my personal statement. What I do for fun. Also talked about healthcare, which, IIRC, I sort of brought up. I had a few statistics from a book I had read that made it sound like I knew what I was talking about.

I think things went pretty well. It was basically just a conversation, and it didn't go absolutely awful. But it's tough to say whether you had an amazing conversation with someone, you know? I mean, we were just talking.

Overall, not sure what to expect. I'm anxious for mid October. They informed us that they will send out paper acceptances/rejections/waitlists on Oct the 16th, so people that interview early will know something soon.

Is that helpful? Any other details?

OK well I interviewed a few weeks ago.

I looked a lot at the interview feedback threads from last year, so I had some ideas of what to expect for the day. Basically things went pretty much like I expected, which is a good thing.

I sat in on a small class from like 8-9:30, that was fine, uneventful. Kids in class seemed pretty cool.

Reported to admissions office at 10:30, I think. Myself and the five other applicants went through an hour or so meeting/discussion/presentation on the school, talking a lot about the new curriculum and how awesome Charlottesville is. The dean that was a guy, forget his name, is very nice, and started things off by going around the room and naming some facts about all six of us. He also occasionally asked us collective questions, in sort of a fun fashion. Like "does anyone know what was rated the most cosmopolitan city in the country?" The answer is Charlottesville, as cosmopolitan-ness is ranked by like the number of independently owned restaurants or something like that. Overall no stress, just chatting and learning.

Went to lunch with two fourth years students, which was obviously good.

Then we had our interviews. There were three interviewers, two older physicians and one MS4. Each interviewee had two 30 minute interviews... I was with the physicians.

Both were very nice, didn't grill me at all. Just talking for 30 minutes, they probably talked as much, or maybe even more than I did. Questions based upon AMCAS and secondary. Both asked about the research I've been doing since graduating. One guy asked about the weakness question on the secondary. Talked about my reasons for getting in to medicine, which is big in my personal statement. What I do for fun. Also talked about healthcare, which, IIRC, I sort of brought up. I had a few statistics from a book I had read that made it sound like I knew what I was talking about.

I think things went pretty well. It was basically just a conversation, and it didn't go absolutely awful. But it's tough to say whether you had an amazing conversation with someone, you know? I mean, we were just talking.

Overall, not sure what to expect. I'm anxious for mid October. They informed us that they will send out paper acceptances/rejections/waitlists on Oct the 16th, so people that interview early will know something soon.

Is that helpful? Any other details?

Have you really already attended 13 interviews? Wow.

Have you really already attended 13 interviews? Wow.

Haha no. All the places that invited me to interview, I just them all under "attended interview," rather than having to go back and change them when I did actually interview. Basically I'm just lazy.

curious.. how often do they interview?
i got an invite few weeks ago for a date in mid october.

from my sdn observations/stalking, it would appear that uva hasn't sent out any IS interview invites yet... has anyone from VA gotten one???

just trying to see how paranoid i should be.... ;)

from my sdn observations/stalking, it would appear that uva hasn't sent out any IS interview invites yet... has anyone from VA gotten one???

just trying to see how paranoid i should be.... ;)

I am instate and I got one.

But I don't think you should be paranoid, except for the following: only about one in 5 instate applicants gets an interview at UVA, but the acceptance rate after that point is quite high...but the rolling process at UVA heavily favors the early interviewees when it comes to acceptances (i.e., the later you interview, the steeper the hill).

awww, darn my theory... but congrats to you and thank you for your reply! :)

going back to uva is my dream (come on, i was a uva cheerleader for four years!:rolleyes:), but i don't have a lot of faith it will happen. i live with two current uva med students right now, and i'm just dying for the chance to be given an interview and show them why they should accept me!

going back to uva is my dream (come on, i was a uva cheerleader for four years!:rolleyes:), but i don't have a lot of faith it will happen. i live with two current uva med students right now, and i'm just dying for the chance to be given an interview and show them why they should accept me!

I feel extremely fortunate to have an early interview at UVA.

I am not getting the love I hoped for from a bunch of schools, but I can't complain since I have 6 invites right now, 3 of them being instate...

How early were you complete with secondary submitted to UVA? That is kind of critical - I was complete at UVA within a day or two of getting the secondary, and I got an invite on, I think, 8/3 which seemed like the first or second day (that I know of), but the point being that they have been sending out invites for over 6 weeks now, and interview slots appear to be full for the next month or so...I think a little paranoia is understandable at this point, but I wouldn't hit the panic button.

One additional thought: I do think that the majority of interviews up to this point have been for OOS applicants, and it makes sense because they have to interview far more OOS applicants to get that 40 to 45 percent OOS enrollment, and they are competing with all the other top schools for those candidates, so it makes sense that they get those folks in as early as possible - so your theory is not all wrong.

Ask them when they interviewed - just curious, looking for support for my "early is critical" theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.