2009-2010 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
So who else is pretty pumped about UVA?

I didn't know terribly much about the school when applying, but I've talked to a few people at the med school where I work and read some old threads here, and it seems like not only a very good school, but also a very enjoyable place to spend four years.

So who else is pretty pumped about UVA?

I didn't know terribly much about the school when applying, but I've talked to a few people at the med school where I work and read some old threads here, and it seems like not only a very good school, but also a very enjoyable place to spend four years.
I'm very happy that I got invited to interview, and I can't wait for it. I can assure you, it is a great place to spend 4 years. There's a lot of good things going on at the school nowadays, and I'm sure you'll be impressed when you go to your interview.

I just bought my first plane ticket for my interview. I bought it one way because I'm going to spend some time with my friend at USUHS before I come home. Yay!

Pass rate is impressive nonetheless.

How are you guys getting from Richmond to Charlottesville? I can't find any cheap ways of getting there, aside from renting a car, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm well I was originally planning on flying into Richmond bc it's cheaper, but I just found a flight directly to Charlottesville that would only be about $50 more in all. I think that extra $50 is probably worth it for convenience.

How are you guys getting from Richmond to Charlottesville? I can't find any cheap ways of getting there, aside from renting a car, I guess.

I'm flying into Charlottesville, then taking a bus up to Washington and staying with a friend the night after the interview and flying out of Dulles the next afternoon. I live across the country, so it was a pain to try to find an early enough flight into Charlottesville, but I was even considering at one point just flying into Dulles and taking a Greyhound bus (at $12 if you buy 21 days in advance) from DC to Charlottesville. If you arrive early enough in the day, that might be something to consider.

congrats you all with invites! as an IS student, i was worried for a bit, but now I think they have only given out interview invites to OOS kids. So I am happy again! :) Maybe they will start doing IS invites next week. Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

congrats you all with invites! as an IS student, i was worried for a bit, but now I think they have only given out interview invites to OOS kids. So I am happy again! :) Maybe they will start doing IS invites next week. Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hate to burst your bubble, but....

Hate to burst your bubble, but....

LMAO! If you really hated to do it, then why did you do it?! lol
anyways, you can't get me down bryson!!! My ignorance will reduce my stress for at least another week or so. Anyways, you prolly live in WEST virginia and are just confused :)

for real though, thanks for letting me know

anybody get any good deals on airfare? the best i see for NYC to CHO is $301 roundtrip. is this good or can i find better?

anybody get any good deals on airfare? the best i see for NYC to CHO is $301 roundtrip. is this good or can i find better?

Try looking through Kayak, though that's probably the best you'll find. I got a flight from Denver to CHO one-way for about $140. Not particularly looking forward to driving to Denver that morning though.

yea use kayak. airfare is mostly dependent on when you order the ticket (the earlier the better) so i would just order the tix now if interview is in early september.

are you one of those nyc kids that has never been outside of ny :)? you can easily drive to VA for cheap if you have a license + car

i'd recommend bookingbuddy.com

also, if you end up booking through expedia or priceline, you can get cash back (maybe 5-10 bucks extra off) from sites like ebates.com or fatwallet.com

Has anyone who has emailed the student hosting program coordinator heard back yet?

They're really busy I think. M1s started today. Maybe call them later this week.

Ok. Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything.

just got my interview!!! was complete 7/27, so exciteddd to finally get some love from my undergrad!

It looks like they sent out a batch of interviews today, both me and my friend got one and we both go to uva undergrad. UVA is a great place to be and I would be really happy if I went here for med school. I have a few friends in UVASOM and they all love it. Good luck guys I hope you all do well at your interviews.

It looks like they sent out a batch of interviews today, both me and my friend got one and we both go to uva undergrad. UVA is a great place to be and I would be really happy if I went here for med school. I have a few friends in UVASOM and they all love it. Good luck guys I hope you all do well at your interviews.

thanks for the great post medslacker!!!!!

Woohoo! I finally got my AMCAS verified and got a secondary from UVA the same day!

For those who haven't heard back yet, how much longer are y'all gonna wait? I emailed like two weeks ago and am wondering if I should email again or just go on and find a hotel :confused:.........

I actually have no clue how they organize the housing (they haven't asked M1s to volunteer yet for it), but I'm willing to help a few off you guys out if you need it. I live with another M1 just a five minute walk from the hospital, which is where you interview at. Of course I can't give you a whole run down on what it's like first year, but it's a free place to stay! Keep in mind that I can't host too many people, so contact me as soon as you can if you don't get matched through the hosting program.

Hello, everyone. I know this is kind of late, but does anyone still have access to the Secondary application. I accidentally deleted my email from UVA :(. I would truly appreciate it if you can forward me a copy just so I can get my secondary in. Thanks in advance!

You can reach me at [email protected]

How long are you guys waiting to hear back about the student host program? I emailed a while ago, and still haven't heard anything. Wondering if I should email again...

thanks, twoinone! You're a lifesaver... :D

I'm so excited about UVA, probably my top OOS public school! :)

I was complete on 8/4 but haven't heard a peep. Anyone else complete around that date got any news?

Can anyone tell me what is unique about UVa? Their website seems to stress their innovative curriculum, but I know a lot of schools integrate patient interaction into the first two years. I may be interested in primary care, so is UVa a good school for that?

Thanks

I'm so excited about UVA, probably my top OOS public school! :)

I was complete on 8/4 but haven't heard a peep. Anyone else complete around that date got any news?

Here I am same as you are, anyone knows if any UVA website we could check our application status.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.