2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an interview invite today. My stats are not great-- OOS 29R. Excited, though!! Is anyone else going on the 27th? Any tips on best places to stay in the area/things to do at night?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine says "Preliminary Review Completed" and I just submitted my secondary on 8/20/10. I would think this status comes after the "Secondary Complete" status so it might be worth calling them to check up on your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
by what i can tell, the few interview invites here have been IS or OOS with high stats and ties to the area ... is this correct?

i suppose i have a while to wait .. :whistle:

I got an invite on last Thurs also, OOS- no ties, and not very high stats

Just a little update: I e-mailed asking whether my application was complete, and they informed me that FIU has already received 2000 :eek: applications. Not sure how it's relevant, but I supposed it's something to chew on while we are all waiting :rolleyes:. Congrats to all those who got interview invites. Hoping to join the ranks of you guys soon :xf:

I just submitted my secondary on Monday and my status changed from "complete" to "prelim review completed" today. Here's to hoping an interview invite will follow!! Good luck everyone =) :luck:

I received an interview invite via email an hour ago. I'm scheduled for Friday 9/10. When I saw it in my email I just burst into tears. I was pretty sure I wouldn't get any interviews at all.

Good luck everyone! I'm proof that you don't have to have a perfect record to score an interview.:love:

Oh, and I'm in-state (but not S FL), sub 3.5gpa, sub 30 MCAT, LOTS of ECs

I received an interview invite via email an hour ago. I'm scheduled for Friday 9/10. When I saw it in my email I just burst into tears. I was pretty sure I wouldn't get any interviews at all.

Good luck everyone! I'm proof that you don't have to have a perfect record to score an interview.:love:

Thats awesome dude, congrats! You give me hope. =)

congrats!!

yay interview invite! complete and prelim review in early july. oos. so excited! :love:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! =] so happy for u! beat 'em dead at that interview, haha. hopefully i get mine soon too :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone interviewing this day?

For those who interviewed 8/27, any tips?

I'm interviewing on 9/3 at 7:30am-12:30pm. See you there?

I thought about choosing 9/3, but I wanted to give myself more than 6 days to prep (considering work is ruling my life at the moment). Good luck!

Anyone else interviewing 9/10? I'm morning session.

Oh boy, just submitted my secondary!!:D:D Good luck to everyone interviewing and to those still waiting on a reply!!

Interviewed here today- loved every second of it. FIU seemed like a great school, and everyone was super friendly. I hope they accept me because I'd love to go here!

Interviewed here today- loved every second of it. FIU seemed like a great school, and everyone was super friendly. I hope they accept me because I'd love to go here!

Great to hear about your interview! Good luck! I'm so excited about mine this coming Friday. I have a question, did people interview throughout the day or everyone at the beginning/end? While looking through past year reviews it seemed they sometimes do both.

All the interviews were scheduled within a 90 minute block of the daily events for the afternoon session. So we all went to opening comments, then we split up. We rotated through as some of us went on interviews, and some of us talked to med students and a few faculty. Then we all went on the tour. Does that make sense? Hope it helped, and good luck on your interview!

I had a great interview experience. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. I hope to hear some good news back! Good Luck to everyone else!

I had an interview on Sep 3rd. It was a great experience, the faculty were all really welcoming and the facilities were brand new. I was in the afternoon session and it started with an overview of the school. The integrated curriculum is really cool and they do a lot of community work which is great. After the overview, we went straight into the interview session. Overall, the school has a bright future and I hope to hear good news on October 15th.

Good luck to future interviewers. I am sure you will love it!

i keep getting those emails telling me to complete the secondary. you guys think i should do it considering im out of state and not the most competitive applicant??

Was finally able to schedule my interview here for 9/17 after getting my invite about a month ago! My schedule's been crazy, but I'm excited to make my flight arrangements to Miami now although now I have to reschedule my UF interview which was the same day. Goodness, scheduling is such a pain especially when I'm in school at the same time with tests interfering. Hopefully, this will all be worth it in the end!:oops:

Getting excited for my interview Friday :) people who have already interviewed, any crazy curveball questions or odd ethics scenarios? I checked interview feedback but previous years seem to have been pretty straight forward.

Oh and is there a bus tour? I was just wondering because I'm in a wheelchair and I wasn't sure if they'd have one of those kneeling buses.

anyone else interviewing today, 9/10, during the afternoon session? see you there :D

anyone else interviewing today, 9/10, during the afternoon session? see you there :D

I interviewed in the morning session. I had an awesome time! Everyone was so friendly and helpful, and my interviewers and I hit it off really well. Crossing my fingers for October 15th :)

Good luck to everyone else interviewing. You'll enjoy this one!

Hey Guys,
First year student here. Feel free to ask me any questions. Also, the previous years' forums are a pretty good reference as to how the admissions process goes. Best of luck to all of you!

Hey Guys,
First year student here. Feel free to ask me any questions. Also, the previous years' forums are a pretty good reference as to how the admissions process goes. Best of luck to all of you!

I have a question. I JUST received an interview invite (!!!) and I'm pretty excited. However, on the interview scheduler only two dates show up, for 9/17 and 9/24. I would LOVE to interview here ASAP, but long story short, it would be much better for me to make the 5 hour drive to Miami in October. Will more dates be made available soon, or should I snatch up the dates I've been offered?

Congratz on the invite! I received one today as well ^.^

As of 8pm PST.. only 9/17 is available on the calendar... I'm going to call them tomr to see if more dates will open up because it would be kind of ridiculous to receive an invite and actually go in a matter of DAYS. :eek:

I have a question. I JUST received an interview invite (!!!) and I'm pretty excited. However, on the interview scheduler only two dates show up, for 9/17 and 9/24. I would LOVE to interview here ASAP, but long story short, it would be much better for me to make the 5 hour drive to Miami in October. Will more dates be made available soon, or should I snatch up the dates I've been offered?

Has anyone actually been rejected yet? I just went from "secondary complete" to "preliminary review completed" today so I'm wondering if that's a hold or a future rejection since I didn't get an interview.

Has anyone actually been rejected yet? I just went from "secondary complete" to "preliminary review completed" today so I'm wondering if that's a hold or a future rejection since I didn't get an interview.

I don't think they reject people until later. I think it's kind of like ucf, where they review all the apps until the end of the cycle. However, their cycle was pretty short last year. I think their last round of interviews were in late Jan or early Feb.

Good luck! Hope you hear good news soon!

I don't think they reject people until later. I think it's kind of like ucf, where they review all the apps until the end of the cycle. However, their cycle was pretty short last year. I think their last round of interviews were in late Jan or early Feb.

Good luck! Hope you hear good news soon!

Wow, that's pretty short. Well, good job on the interview invite, I'm sure you'll hear more good news from them soon!

Congratz on the invite! I received one today as well ^.^

As of 8pm PST.. only 9/17 is available on the calendar... I'm going to call them tomr to see if more dates will open up because it would be kind of ridiculous to receive an invite and actually go in a matter of DAYS. :eek:

Yeah, I figure they can't have filled all the dates already! It's still early. But please please let me know what they say. In the mean time, I'll be checking their website daily :)

just got my interview invite today also, real excited. I'm IS w/ a 32R and a 3.61 science gpa. I checked the calendar to schedule it and they only had the 17th and 24th available so i called the office. They said they open up interview dates on a regular basis and that they'll open more dates up in the coming week. hope that helps!

just got my interview invite today also, real excited. I'm IS w/ a 32R and a 3.61 science gpa. I checked the calendar to schedule it and they only had the 17th and 24th available so i called the office. They said they open up interview dates on a regular basis and that they'll open more dates up in the coming week. hope that helps!

Thanks! :)

Just got my interview invite today! FIU does not give you much turnaround time. Thank god for southwest!
I am flying into Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone who already interviewed made that drive in the morning?

Just got my interview invite today! FIU does not give you much turnaround time. Thank god for southwest!
I am flying into Fort Lauderdale. Has anyone who already interviewed made that drive in the morning?

Hi!

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and I drove there. I live in Miami and it still took me about 30 minutes due to traffic.

The drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami is usually about 30-45 minutes.
But if you are driving during rush hour it could take much longer.

Make sure you give yourself time so you aren't late!
And enjoy your interview! Everyone is SUPER friendly and helpful at FIU.

What is on October 15th? Do they give you a decision a month from your interview date?

What is on October 15th? Do they give you a decision a month from your interview date?

Oct 15th is the magic date that regular decision acceptances start rolling in. If you interview very early, then you'll likely get an email of accept/reject/final pool from FIU on that date. Last year people started getting emails from them at about 12:10am on Oct 15th.

Those of you that received an interview, do you mind posting your completion dates? I've been complete since 7/24 and my status is still prelim review completed.

I was complete 7/10. I interviewed 9/10. I was worried about mine because my status never changed from application complete until I got an interview upwards the end of August. I wouldn't worry if I were you. It's still quite early.

Those of you that received an interview, do you mind posting your completion dates? I've been complete since 7/24 and my status is still prelim review completed.

I was marked preliminary review complete on 7/19. Invite this week.

:luck:

I wouldn't worry about it. They don't even have any open interview dates open right now! :eek:

Hi SDN people,
I just scheduled an interview here for Oct 4th, which is a monday, and I'll be flying in from Cali on sunday morning. I've never been to Miami before, so i'm planning to rent a car and check out the city. It'd be great if any fellow interviewees wants to come along and hang out. PM me if interested.

FYI: The medical students at FIU have started an unofficial interviewee hosting program! So if you are from out of town and have an interview scheduled and would like to be hosted by a med student please email me!!!!
Thanks guys, my email is: [email protected]
:)

I just interviewed here last Friday! Great experience! Wish the "unofficial" hosting program would have been available then. Would've saved me some time and money, but anyways, I enjoyed Miami, and I can't wait to hear back Oct. 15th.

I submitted my secondary for FIU two days ago, and I just got invited for an interview.

I wanted to let anyone who is worrying about "OMG AM I TOO LATE!?!? DID I PUT IT OFF TOO LONG?!?" like I was with my secondaries to see this, cuz I know I would have wanted to.

"Everyone has a different experience with admissions" - all my friends.

Woo got my invite! I submitted back in august, and I'm very excited. Scheduling it for 3 days after another interview, we'll see how that works out. Especially since I have to miss a human biochem exam ahhhh!

Can anyone who has already interviewed tell me approximately what time it ends? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.