2010-2011 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, I just called them today and apparently there was some WL movement in the past couple days just as people predicted that there would be

Really? They just told you that on the phone? Wow. They couldn't have meant spots opening up on the waitlist, could they?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm yeah it's extremely frustrating. I also planning on staying on the WL till the very end, considering I don't really have another option at this point.. =\

By the way, I just called them today and apparently there was some WL movement in the past couple days just as people predicted that there would be

Haha...wow...aw...:rolleyes:.

Guess I was right after all. If true, this just about puts the nail in the coffin. Chances from here on out for WL'ees are akin to winning the lottery.

Well if you are still on those lists, it seems that you would prefer those schools to Downstate... If you are doing on-campus housing either way, then I would think that the hassle would be considerably less and I would stay on all of them till the end if you seem to prefer them to where you are in at the moment.. good luck!

Well, that's the thing... I don't. 2 of them I KNOW I would not attend and the 3rd would be debatable at best. Up to now, I've stayed on those other 3 lists just out of curiosity as opposed to actual desire to attend. At the same time, I've been wondering at what point, if I haven't already passed it already, am I being a douche for not withdrawing from them and just waiting out on NYU? In either case, thanks and good luck to all of us!

@Goshua: I agree, the fact that nobody on SDN posted about being accepted this week means just a handful, if even that much, were given out. I'm still hoping that 5/13 and 5/24 were independent of each other and we'll hear some good news in about another week and half, but if not, I agree that it's pretty much over.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any idea what kind of numbers we're working with on the wait list? like how many people have been accepted off the WL per batch?

FYI guys, housing just sent the class of 2015 an email, and it was addressed to 106 people.

and only 76 people are on the fb group, which makes no sense. most places have a good percentage of the class on there now.

Hmm yeah it's extremely frustrating. I also planning on staying on the WL till the very end, considering I don't really have another option at this point.. =\

Thanks for calling! However, I just want to point out that last time you called, you were told that maybe there'd be movement in 2 weeks and then acceptances were given out the very next day. I got the impression that admissions likes to give out answers that don't encourage more calls. So as much it falls in line with what some predicted for this week, I can't help but wonder (and hope) if I'll see ppl posting acceptances on Monday, lol.

It's too bad NYU doesn't divide its waitlist into High Priority, etc... it's very mysterious:confused:

It's too bad NYU doesn't divide its waitlist into High Priority, etc... it's very mysterious:confused:

Personally, I have never been a fan of 2 types of waitlists, priority vs. high priority. Schools do not tell you how many are on the waitlist, this means there could be 20 or 200, so if the HP list was the first 100, and you were number 80 on the list, then it might not be so good. If you were number 2, that is a better position, but we just don't know.
Good luck to all on the waitlists.

I think high priority can be good if they try to limit it to say something like 2x their normal movement. So most people on high priority who want to goto the school will get off. Otherwise, it just magnifies the tease and can even hold people back from finalizing their plans.

sooo I got into NYU but never got that housing email that was supposedly sent today... any chance that the email was for people who already sent in their housing application? otherwise I might give them a call tomorrow...

Well, that's the thing... I don't. 2 of them I KNOW I would not attend and the 3rd would be debatable at best. Up to now, I've stayed on those other 3 lists just out of curiosity as opposed to actual desire to attend. At the same time, I've been wondering at what point, if I haven't already passed it already, am I being a douche for not withdrawing from them and just waiting out on NYU? In either case, thanks and good luck to all of us!

@Goshua: I agree, the fact that nobody on SDN posted about being accepted this week means just a handful, if even that much, were given out. I'm still hoping that 5/13 and 5/24 were independent of each other and we'll hear some good news in about another week and half, but if not, I agree that it's pretty much over.

If you wouldn't go to those two schools, and you know that for sure, then withdraw. You will feel better about having less on your plate, and its just more fair to the other waitlistees who really are looking for these spots. Being curious in this case is basically just an ego boost as I see it. Stay on waitlists you would consider attending and it will be better for everyone.

Just passing along a fact and I'll leave the speculation up to you guys...
Yesterday we got an email from Housing telling us assignments will be mailed in July. It was sent to 106 students
(class size is 165, keep in mind some people don't request dorms etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just passing along a fact and I'll leave the speculation up to you guys...
Yesterday we got an email from Housing telling us assignments will be mailed in July. It was sent to 106 students
(class size is 165, keep in mind some people don't request dorms etc)

Thanks for the info (and thank you NeuroE). It seems from the above post that at least some people didn't get the email or fill out the application yet- here's to hoping there aren't many who didn't get the email?

Thanks for the info (and thank you NeuroE). It seems from the above post that at least some people didn't get the email or fill out the application yet- here's to hoping there aren't many who didn't get the email?

Exactly!!! :laugh: One doesn't know how many of those 50+ ppl who didn't get the email simply opted for off-campus housing, were accepted too recently to have their housing application evaluated or what we're hoping for- that didn't take the acceptance. 106 getting the email leaves room to wonder and speculate...

The email states that all single students are guaranteed housing.

I didn't get the housing email, either. I might call in if I don't get it soon.

Also, have there been any other emails? The last one I got was the one about financial aid a few weeks ago.

If you wouldn't go to those two schools, and you know that for sure, then withdraw. You will feel better about having less on your plate, and its just more fair to the other waitlistees who really are looking for these spots. Being curious in this case is basically just an ego boost as I see it. Stay on waitlists you would consider attending and it will be better for everyone.

Done and Done. I'll be hanging out here and on the Downstate thread the rest of the way. :)

So, did anyone hear from someone they know about anyone getting off the waitlist last week so we can confirm what was said over the phone to KS2011?

no but a few more people have joined the fb group in the last few days if that counts for anything..

no but a few more people have joined the fb group in the last few days if that counts for anything..

I wouldn't count it for much. There's been a pretty steady trickle of people joining since it was started.

But I got offered a spot on friday (june 10th).

NYU is my top choice, so I put the $100 deposit down.

I didn't receive an email about housing or fin. aid yet, but it could just be different for people on the waitlist.

I wish the best of luck to all of you.

i called the office two weeks before anybody was accepted off the wait list, and they said there was "movement". so im pretty sure their definition of movement is when people withdraw from the class.

I didn't get the housing email, either. I might call in if I don't get it soon.

Also, have there been any other emails? The last one I got was the one about financial aid a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure this was just sent out to people that already sent in their Housing form. There's no "due date" for that form, so I wouldn't read too too much into it.

But I got offered a spot on friday (june 10th).

NYU is my top choice, so I put the $100 deposit down.

I didn't receive an email about housing or fin. aid yet, but it could just be different for people on the waitlist.

I wish the best of luck to all of you.

Thanks for letting us know. It takes the guessing out at least. Did you send in anything extra from after the date you interviewed (more LORs. update, LOI)?

Last edited:
Well waitlisters, I think this may be the end of the line for us.

stay positive!

anyone know whether you're always given 2 weeks to decide regardless of when in the summer you're accepted off the wait list? (assuming you have at least 2 weeks before the program actually starts)

stay positive!

anyone know whether you're always given 2 weeks to decide regardless of when in the summer you're accepted off the wait list? (assuming you have at least 2 weeks before the program actually starts)

I had the same question before and Neurosteep answered back that it's still 2 weeks, although the email didn't say anything other than just being accepted (i.e. off the waitlist, post may 15, summer, etc).

Last year, there was also WL movement in July. But then again, only 1 person reported being accepted last week, so even I'm wondering how much more movement will actually go down.

Why do you say that?

The movement has just seemed pretty lifeless overall, and after seeing the people accepted from the waitlist I am pretty sure the entire 2011 graduating class from Cornell is ahead of me.... but I will continue to hope.

The movement has just seemed pretty lifeless overall, and after seeing the people accepted from the waitlist I am pretty sure the entire 2011 graduating class from Cornell is ahead of me.... but I will continue to hope.

Not really, just about everyone i know from Cornell didn't get into NYU or is waitlisted. This one girl got in i believe. Then again the Cornell population is huge...

my friend and i are both from cornell and we are both still waitlisted.. :(
but i hope my fellow cornell alums get in before anyone else~!!!

Leaving this thread, for better or worse (don't want to be wasting time checking anymore). Wanted to say good luck to you guys who are going elsewhere and for any re-applying best wishes for the upcoming cycle.

Most of all, here's to a couple more spots opening up and going to those of us who really want NYU.

Take care guys. :luck:

Leaving this thread, for better or worse (don't want to be wasting time checking anymore). Wanted to say good luck to you guys who are going elsewhere and for any re-applying best wishes for the upcoming cycle.

Most of all, here's to a couple more spots opening up and going to those of us who really want NYU.

Take care guys. :luck:

Good luck to you too! I withdrew from the WL here but I've been keeping tabs on the schools I was considering.. seems like movement has been slower this year but I hope you guys get good news soon. Waiting is the worst so I totally sympathize with anyone waiting, but you will love wherever you end up, but I still hope its NYU for you guys

I plan on removing myself from NYU's waitlist at the end of the month... by then I'll just want to know where I'm going

anyone know if there's been waitlist movement (ppl declining offers) since the last wave of acceptances?

I think the last "wave" on SDN was on 5/24 when 3 or 4 people reported acceptances. Other than that I think there have been a few individual reports, one on 5/10 that I know of. I don't think many people are reporting their acceptances on here though.

I plan on removing myself from NYU's waitlist at the end of the month... by then I'll just want to know where I'm going

I think I am going to do the same in order to preserve sanity.

Has anyone called admissions or heard from them in the last few weeks? This thread is incredibly quiet compared to years past.

I called at the tail end of last week and they gave me a generic response about knowing as much as I do and that space would open up when someone withdraws. not helpful.

I called at the tail end of last week and they gave me a generic response about knowing as much as I do and that space would open up when someone withdraws. not helpful.

Thanks for sharing- what a lame situation!

Withdrew from the waitlist today... time to finalize things! Good riddance and good luck to everyone else!

I stopped by the admissions office yesterday to drop off an additional letter and tried getting some waitlist info out of the lady at the desk. As expected she just said that the class has been full for some time now, that spots will open if somebody drops out, that the list is not ranked, and that the last day for waitlistees could hear about an acceptance would be August 15th. Of course, of all the good movement in years past, it has to be OUR year that the list barely moves, right? Depressing..

Status
Not open for further replies.