2010-2011 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When does UPenn start sending out invites/rejections? And what are the numbers like in terms of selection process

Members don't see this ad.

just wanted to bump this thread. anyone know when we can expect to hear from penn?

last year it seems the first batch of invites went out 8/24 so... maybe soon? :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Time enough yet to not be worried! It's only mid-August :D

Just sent this one in...yeah XD

Last edited:
My research team won an award from a national organization. My name was on the publication, but the award was not given to me specifically. The prize was then used to further our research. Do you guys think I should list this under awards and say it was given to my team?

My research team won an award from a national organization. My name was on the publication, but the award was not given to me specifically. The prize was then used to further our research. Do you guys think I should list this under awards and say it was given to my team?

Yes, I would include that and list it that way.

Still all quiet on the UPenn front, huh? Some of us should start hearing from them soon. The mid-20s of August were when they started sending out invites last year.

Well, I'm certain you'll hear back from them with those stats. I'll bet you'll hear back from a lot of places.

If anyone has school-specific questions, feel free to PM me or post here. I'm a 4th year at Penn and have been previously involved in admissions (interviews, not on the adcom), although I am not this cycle. Hooray residency interviews lasting all of November-February.

Interview invite!!! Secondary submitted 7/7. Sooo excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! Was it via e-mail? Did you get it today?

Yes, it was an email and it came on the 27th. Judging from the number of dates that were given I'm guessing they only released 80-100 invitations this round so no need to panic if you've not heard this time.

Submitted 7/16
Interview Invite 8/27

Good luck, everyone!!!

Congrats to those of you who got in.
If you guys dont mind, could you post your stats and whether you were IS or OOS.
Thanks ahead of time

If you guys dont mind, could you post your stats and whether you were IS or OOS.

As far as I'm aware we don't preferentially interview in-state applicants. Certainly a minority of the accepted classes are from PA.

If I remember right from last year, the interviews usually start in late September. I think. Good luck to all those waiting to hear back! It's still pretty darn early so everything will be fine!

Also - I've only been here a month; but damn Penn Med is AWESOME. It's not like I'm biased or anything :cool:

As far as I'm aware we don't preferentially interview in-state applicants. Certainly a minority of the accepted classes are from PA.
Really? I think it says in the MSAR that they do have an in-state preference, but I don't think it's much of one. Also, "Other factors being equal, preference is given to residents of Pennsylvania," is stated on the Upenn med admissions website. It definitely seems like you're right about the percentage of the class being from PA, though all I can find is enrolled, not accepted. The 2009 entering class profile they have on the website says 24% of the entering class is from PA.

Does anyone know if Penn sends complete emails? I am complete according to the website, but was just wondering if they send complete emails also.

Really? I think it says in the MSAR that they do have an in-state preference, but I don't think it's much of one. Also, "Other factors being equal, preference is given to residents of Pennsylvania," is stated on the Upenn med admissions website. It definitely seems like you're right about the percentage of the class being from PA, though all I can find is enrolled, not accepted. The 2009 entering class profile they have on the website says 24% of the entering class is from PA.

Penn does give some preference to instate applicants. If for nothing else, they're more likely to enroll than oos applicants. If you look up past admissions data you'll find that in state applicants are both interviewed and accepted at a higher rate than out of state applicants. While they may make up only about 25% of the class...they only encompass about 10% of the applicant pool. All things considered, your residency is probably the last factor that gives you an edge in admissions.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if Penn sends complete emails? I am complete according to the website, but was just wondering if they send complete emails also.

I never received a complete email.

OOS interview invite today via email. Secondary submitted late July-ish.

would those of you who got invites mind sharing your stats/deal? thanks!

So the median MCAT of Penn's accepted students is 37 (?!). Every source I've seen up until now has stated 35, which seemed to be pretty typical of all top school. When did it jump 2 points? 37 seems extremely high.

So the median MCAT of Penn's accepted students is 37 (?!). Every source I've seen up until now has stated 35, which seemed to be pretty typical of all top school. When did it jump 2 points? 37 seems extremely high.

Woah, woah, whaa?

According to their website the median is 35:
  • Median MCAT:
    • VR 11
    • PS 12
    • WS Q
    • BS 12
  • Median GPA 3.84

Woah, woah, whaa?

According to their website the median is 35:

[/LIST]

Yes, that's what I thought, but I received a letter from them that states 37. I thought it might be a typo, but in parenthesis it lists clearly (13, 11, 13).

The only other school I've seen with this median is WUSTL.

Yes, that's what I thought, but I received a letter from them that states 37. I thought it might be a typo, but in parenthesis it lists clearly (13, 11, 13).

The only other school I've seen with this median is WUSTL.

Well, there's a difference between median total score and median score in each section. That's probably where the discrepancy comes in.

Also, whoever asked for stats, I'll PM you.

That info (35 score) is from matriculated, not admitted students. For entering students in 2009, the average ACCEPTED student had a 12,11,13 (36). So it's not terribly surprising that for 2010 (this year), the average was 13,11,13.

For the activities essay, did anyone write close to 1,000 words?

I have quality to my essays, but they are really short (like 300 characters...)

That info (35 score) is from matriculated, not admitted students. For entering students in 2009, the average ACCEPTED student had a 12,11,13 (36). So it's not terribly surprising that for 2010 (this year), the average was 13,11,13.

The average MCAT for the entering (ie, matriculated) class of 2014 was 36Q according to the poster outside suite 100 (admissions)...but they don't give a breakdown.

For the activities essay, did anyone write close to 1,000 words?

I have quality to my essays, but they are really short (like 300 characters...)

The less you write, the more I'll read.

I sent in my secondary July 12th and my app. was marked complete not long after that. I see some people have interviews, but I haven't heard anything yet, you guys think that means I didn't make the cut? I have a 38 MCAT, 3.49 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA..Was really hoping to go to Penn...

PhillyGuy1 I also have a 38 MCAT, 3.87 gpa and have not heard from Penn except for a complete email

Same here. 3.63 cGPA, 3.99 sGPA, 39 MCAT and in-state. This thread has been so quiet... I wonder if Penn is just taking their sweet time in general.

dammmmmm, you people have ridiculous stats.

abandoning all hope now....

Penn does not send interviews in order. You can still get an interview late even if you turned in your application early.

Hey congrats!! Good to see some movement here!

hey quick question, I was reviewing the interview questions for UPenn and one of the questions is "why should we NOT admit you?" I have no idea on how to answer this question, any suggestions? thanks

Big day for interview invites here =)

hey quick question, I was reviewing the interview questions for UPenn and one of the questions is "why should we NOT admit you?" I have no idea on how to answer this question, any suggestions? thanks

Ugh...that's a toughie. "I'm just too perfect...It tends to intimidate those around me, which then bums ME out because of my ridiculous levels of compassion."

Interview invite this morning! I was complete 8/5. Can't wait to visit Penn! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.