2011-2012 East Carolina (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I'm praying we'll all get off the waitlist soon! If not, I've been accepted to a few DO schools that I would be more than happy with but I love ECU! I've been gone for a week so im hoping (probably unrealisticaly) that the letter will be waiting for me when I get home. I still can't believe they only accepted 5 more since may 1. Hopefully that means more acceptances will be going out....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hrider! Did you just give up your acceptance?

I wonder how many more acceptances will go out. From the looks of it, there are only 3 of us left from sdn that are still on the Alternate list (all from March 23)...

Joie de vivre (female)
Packman2003 (male?)
Tarheel0909 (?)

I really hope that means we might get in this next round? *knock on wood* :xf: What do you think? I feel hopeless.

Nope, I am a female who is on the waitlist too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Joie de vivre (female)
Packman2003 (male?)
Tarheel0909 (female)
Hrider (female)

ahh :\

I'm a female and am also waiting on hearing from Brody!

Hey guys! I'm a long time lurker who just got in off the waitlist! My letter was dated on the 22nd, so I think there's another round of acceptances going out right now. So, don't give up hope!!! (I almost did, haha) Also, very excited to meet everyone next year! :)

Hey guys! I'm a long time lurker who just got in off the waitlist! My letter was dated on the 22nd, so I think there's another round of acceptances going out right now. So, don't give up hope!!! (I almost did, haha) Also, very excited to meet everyone next year! :)

Big congrats!! Brody 16'! :thumbup:

Best of luck to everyone else still waiting, it's gonna be an awesome class.

Congratulations Chesirekttykat! You must feel amazing and relieved right now!
:D:D:D

Congrats Chesirekttykat! Do you mind posting your stats?

Thanks everyone! :)

And sure, here are my stats:

First time applicant- interviewed mid-January
GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 31R
A TON of shadowing and medically related community service

Good luck and feel free to PM me if there's anything else you'd like to know!

As of June 1, 2012, we have .....

Received 876 AMCAS applications
Received 774 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 466 applicants
Made 128 offers
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

Looks like they've only given out 7 acceptances since May 15th. Maybe the class is just about full =/

Those who were accepted, are you fresh out of college or non traditional? How did you show your commitment to medicine? At the post rejection interview I was told that my commitment to medicine was not clear and that I needed to become an EMT or CNA for a year to show that I was. That is a problem because I do not want to gamble with my career, in other words I don't want to quit my day job. Is volunteering and shadowing not enough. Also, I was told I would definitely be capable of the academic/mental/emotional rigor. It was just my commitment to medicine that was not clear. what should I do?

As of July 1, 2012, we have .....

Received 876 AMCAS applications
Received 774 Supplementary applications
Interviewed 466 applicants
Made 131 offers
(Generally it takes 100-125 offers to fill a class)

Update for July 1. Only 3 offers since June 1, looks like they're pretty much done for the cycle. Best of luck if you have to re-app next year, feel free to PM me with questions.

Those who were accepted, are you fresh out of college or non traditional? How did you show your commitment to medicine? At the post rejection interview I was told that my commitment to medicine was not clear and that I needed to become an EMT or CNA for a year to show that I was. That is a problem because I do not want to gamble with my career, in other words I don't want to quit my day job. Is volunteering and shadowing not enough. Also, I was told I would definitely be capable of the academic/mental/emotional rigor. It was just my commitment to medicine that was not clear. what should I do?

Generally, from what I've gathered, unless you have a stellar research/community service background (either multiple years doing research/publication or hundreds of hours community service spread out over multiple years), you need experience doing something like EMT, CNA, phlebotomy, etc to get into ECU/UNC. Exceptions to this rule do occur, however, especially if you have a 3.9+ GPA and 35+ MCAT. Are your numbers in this range? If not, then I'd highly recommend going the EMT/CNA route (CNA training can be completed faster).

Shadowing and routine volunteering are expected, but they don't help you stand out.

Last edited:
Soo...it's safe to assume that those still on the alternate list will probably have to reapply, right? Is it more difficult to get into ECU as a reapplicant (assuming you do not waste your year off)?

Soo...it's safe to assume that those still on the alternate list will probably have to reapply, right? Is it more difficult to get into ECU as a reapplicant (assuming you do not waste your year off)?

1. Yes. It is pretty unlikely that more spots will open at this point. We have already received all our intro materials, ordered white coats, etc. I think most people are pretty set.

2. No, you're not at a disadvantage as a reapplicant as long as you work hard to improve your app. I think there was a stat floating around that something like 40% of ECU's class are re-applicants because the adcom likes the dedication to medicine that they show. Schedule a meeting with dean to see how you could improve your app, although if you were on the waiting list usually the answer is "you have all the things we are looking for, we just didn't have enough spots". Good luck.

Well congrats to all those accepted. Looks like I'll be headed to Richmond to VCU. Would have liked to stay in NC, but I'm still super hyped!

Good question - a good percentage of the entering class is re-applicants. Last year's entering class (class of 2015) was 45% re-applicants. The three years before that were 42%, 38%, and 44%. I know there are several of us that were re-applicants this year (stats will come up for our class when the year starts).

Hang in there - I know it sucks to think about reapplying, but here is some good news: As long as you haven't been arrested or gotten caught cheating on an exam, you're guaranteed to be interviewed next year (actually, what I was told by the admissions office was, "I can't think of any reason why someone on the alternate list wouldn't get interviewed next year."). When you go to your interview, be sure you tell the people you meet with that you were on the alternate list this year (they won't know that). Include what you did this coming year to be sure that you got off the alternate list. You'll make it!

Status
Not open for further replies.