2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used 503-418-1619. It is the interview coordinators number. You may need a different one depending on what you are calling about.

No news here. OHSU is really feeling like taking their time. Pretty much the only people that could go to their last second look at this point would be in state people only.
Thank you!

Just called....they are still ranking the alternate list. We should get emails with our numbers by Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

Just called....they are still ranking the alternate list. We should get emails with our numbers by Friday.
Thanks for making the call! :thumbup:

It's a little confusing though... I thought that, once evaluated by the admissions committee, your score was pretty much determined. This suggests that they're either finishing the initial score calculation of a few last applicants, or they are recalculating existing scores.

Harrumph. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

THANK YOU!

That is very odd to hear. The alternate list should have already been ranked since they only review our files once meaning our numbers are set. Maybe they are ranking among people who have the same score? Or they lied and do a re-review of the numbers so that they can fit certain criteria. I wish it wasn't all so secret! I wonder if they will start e-mailing/rejecting tomorrow then? Or if it will all happen on Thursday/Friday. This whole process is driving me nuts!

Members don't see this ad :)
THANK YOU!

That is very odd to hear. The alternate list should have already been ranked since they only review our files once meaning our numbers are set. Maybe they are ranking among people who have the same score? Or they lied and do a re-review of the numbers so that they can fit certain criteria. I wish it wasn't all so secret! I wonder if they will start e-mailing/rejecting tomorrow then? Or if it will all happen on Thursday/Friday. This whole process is driving me nuts!

Well Mr./Ms. Mybubbles627... doesn't this just look like I predicted to you in a PM? :)

That is odd. I heard that they actually discuss everyone every week, and it's not set where you stand from just one meeting. Who knows. Maybe if we end up there we can work with them to make it more applicant-friendly.

Care to enlighten the rest of us? ;)

My hypothesis: OHSU doesn't tell you your "score" (the one that they give you post interview) because doing so would remove their ability to subjectively choose a class. For this first part, they can go off of the luck of the numbers (or mainly off of that) but I think they aren't as straight forward for the WL.

My example scenarios/questions:
A) What if come May 15th they have accepted 50% males and %50 percent females and looking at the WL they see that based strictly on numbers, spots 1-75 are females? They run the risk of messing up their ideal ratio.
B) Scenario A for any other quality (IS vs OOS, skin color, age, whatever they might care about).
C) Then what happens if they tell people their score and come May 15th their WL spote BUT these people matriculate and find out that Karah was scored with a 65 and admitted right away but Mike scored a 85 (assuming 100 is the best) and was number 20 on the WL?

Essentially my thought is they admit as close as they can to "value" order but in the end they have goals in numbers they are looking for and they want to stack the WL as much as they can to achieve this.

Source: My own cynical pondering of going through this process twice and having such cynicism supported by meeting an ex-employee of the OHSU admissions office who quite after a year because they thought it way too dirty for their liking.

My hypothesis: OHSU doesn't tell you your "score" (the one that they give you post interview) because doing so would remove their ability to subjectively choose a class.
Bingo. As frustrating as it might be, the more I think about it the more I know this is a very good thing. It's tempting to want Life to Be Fair. Going by the rote scoring system might ensure fairness, but it doesn't guarantee a good fit.

Each medical student cohort is 136 people. Honestly, I can't even personally imagine what that could be like... my graduating class from HS was >900 people. 136 people is an extended family. The admissions committee that doesn't consider how all of our personalities are going to mesh or clash is doing us all a disservice.

What if your spouse were assigned to you by a computer, based on some arbitrary scores and input? If we can't choose our own new family, then the least we can wish for is that a (hopefully insightful) matchmaker will try to arrange us into a harmonious group. If that means I'm left out because They think I would be horribly incompatible with this class cohort, well, y'know, maybe they know something I don't. :rolleyes:

They can't control the final spree of withdrawals and waitlist movements, but they can and do reserve the right to load the dice before the final roll.

Good Night, and Good Luck. :luck:

Bingo. As frustrating as it might be, the more I think about it the more I know this is a very good thing. It's tempting to want Life to Be Fair. Going by the rote scoring system might ensure fairness, but it doesn't guarantee a good fit.

Each medical student cohort is 136 people. Honestly, I can't even personally imagine what that could be like... my graduating class from HS was >900 people. 136 people is an extended family. The admissions committee that doesn't consider how all of our personalities are going to mesh or clash is doing us all a disservice.

What if your spouse were assigned to you by a computer, based on some arbitrary scores and input? If we can't choose our own new family, then the least we can wish for is that a (hopefully insightful) matchmaker will try to arrange us into a harmonious group. If that means I'm left out because They think I would be horribly incompatible with this class cohort, well, y'know, maybe they know something I don't. :rolleyes:

They can't control the final spree of withdrawals and waitlist movements, but they can and do reserve the right to load the dice before the final roll.

Good Night, and Good Luck. :luck:

major ditto on that one Dianyla!!!

Source: My own cynical pondering of going through this process twice and having such cynicism supported by meeting an ex-employee of the OHSU admissions office who quite after a year because they thought it way too dirty for their liking.

well this sounds very interesting! please tell me more about this dirty med school selection. it will make me feel better when I get my rejection notice!:laugh:

well this sounds very interesting! please tell me more about this dirty med school selection. it will make me feel better when I get my rejection notice!:laugh:

I'm curious to know too!!!...but yet at the same time, I'm sure every med school has some sort of "dirty selection process."

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted!!!! I'm in shock right now!

IS - interviewed 3/2, put on hold 3/29 and I just got the acceptance email half an hour ago!!!

Anyone checked their portal, btw? Or is the consensus that rejections and wait lists are going out tomorrow and Friday?

Anyone checked their portal, btw? Or is the consensus that rejections and wait lists are going out tomorrow and Friday?

My portal still says on hold. If they do it like last year, rejections will come next via portal, and wait list e-mails will follow after rejections.

My portal still says on hold. If they do it like last year, rejections will come next via portal, and wait list e-mails will follow after rejections.

Yikes. So waitlist rankings out Friday? :xf:

Yeah, I remember the schedule. I'm unclear on why they need to drag it out, but I remember. :laugh:

Thanks for the congrats, everyone! Here's to hoping that the remaining acceptances go out to you SDNers!

As for my portal entry, it stated that I should get an email within 48 hours and my acceptance date was today, so it came swiftly!

Best of luck, everybody!

Yeah, I remember the schedule. I'm unclear on why they need to drag it out, but I remember. :laugh:

I think it is because they enjoy watching us squirm :) Maybe this year it will be different and wait list e-mails will go out first if they expect to have all the wait list e-mails out by Friday. At least when people post on SDN it gives others a sense of what is currently happening and lets us prepare.

Thanks for the congrats, everyone! Here's to hoping that the remaining acceptances go out to you SDNers!

As for my portal entry, it stated that I should get an email within 48 hours and my acceptance date was today, so it came swiftly!

Best of luck, everybody!

So your portal was updated before you received the e-mail then?

What do you guys think is the chance of more acceptances going out? I know it's a long shot and I'm just deluding myself, but...

did u guys send a letter of intent? i'm not sure if i should've sent one after i saw i was on hold already

Good luck everyone. Don't forget the waitlist can still be a good place to be regardless of your ranking (I should know).

Also just a heads up. Taking forever for everything doesn't go away once you're past the admissions department ;)

Accepted as well today!!! Placed on hold on Feb 29th....IS, first time applicant.
Wishing you all goodluck...this is truly a nerve-wracking process but hang in there! :luck::luck::luck:

Accepted as well today!!! Placed on hold on Feb 29th....IS, first time applicant.
Wishing you all goodluck...this is truly a nerve-wracking process but hang in there! :luck::luck::luck:

CONGRATULATIONS! Looks like they are finally giving the in-state people some love. Hopefully that continues!

Congrats to those recently accepted. Welcome to the family!!! Also, there's a facebook group for our class that you should join (search OHSU School of Medicine Class of 2016)

I don't remember many who interviewed before the new year receiving an acceptance. It seems like most acceptances have been more recent interviews. Anyone notice differently or have inside info about acceptance rates by date?

I don't remember many who interviewed before the new year receiving an acceptance. It seems like most acceptances have been more recent interviews. Anyone notice differently or have inside info about acceptance rates by date?

Well, there've only been ~11 OHSU acceptances posted on SDN this year, (including today) and of those, I think 5 were explicitly 2011 interviews. Pretty hard to draw much of a conclusion from that, even if it *seems* like the more recent acceptances were skewed recent and OOS. I think it's just small sample size. (As to why there are fewer postings and acceptances on the 2011-2012 thread? Beats me.)

Oh, and re:fastfingers question on letters of intent--I really doubt it matters since they explicitly say it won't. I sent one in early March after being put on hold in December. Hasn't done anything yet. :laugh:

So your portal was updated before you received the e-mail then?

I don't know. I actually got the email, and then checked the portal. It just stated I was accepted on 5/9, and to expect an email within 48 hours. I'm not sure exactly what time that was posted. I tried not to constantly check the portal as I didn't want to be someone who set their web browser home page to the OHSU portal. :laugh:

did u guys send a letter of intent? i'm not sure if i should've sent one after i saw i was on hold already

No, I didn't send a letter of intent as I followed what they said about it not being able to help.

I did write a letter of interest after my interview. (interviewed 2/17 put on hold 3/20) I'm not sure if it had any impact though. I was going to write another letter, but I called the admissions office and was told a letter wouldn't affect my file at all.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting! I hope to see you in the fall. :)

I did write a letter of interest after my interview. (interviewed 2/17 put on hold 3/20) I'm not sure if it had any impact though. I was going to write another letter, but I called the admissions office and was told a letter wouldn't affect my file at all.

Yeah, I was told it would be added to my file, but I assume that was just a formality since the committee had looked at me months before. (Unless Natrix C. is on to something... ;)) I felt like I had to send it rather than torture myself afterwards, though.

Agreed. Have people been checking their portals? Any changes? Mine still says on hold.
Every time I come back to my desk. No changes. I can't help but think that they'd update the portal and tell me my status if only I wasn't currently on it. lol.

Every time I come back to my desk. No changes. I can't help but think that they'd update the portal and tell me my status if only I wasn't currently on it. lol.

Well if they follow last years plan, the rejections appeared to go out in order of interview dates with people who interviewed first hearing first and those interviewing last hearing last cause rejections spanned for 3 days. Maybe this year we will get lucky and no one will get rejected and everyone will be place on the wait list! Unlikely but we can hope right :)

Well if they follow last years plan, the rejections appeared to go out in order of interview dates with people who interviewed first hearing first and those interviewing last hearing last cause rejections spanned for 3 days. Maybe this year we will get lucky and no one will get rejected and everyone will be place on the wait list! Unlikely but we can hope right :)
Or we can all be even more lucky and those acceptances handed out will be turned down and they will be handed to us. Not that I really believe it would happen.

Just got an email saying I'm on the alternate list

Status
Not open for further replies.