2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol I wonder which is the mistake... hopefully they won't ask us to pay $20 extra afterwards :rolleyes:.

+1. We shall see...

Members don't see this ad.

Official clarification from admissions-

The application fee for MMS is $120, and there was an unexpected technical error with the collection portal charging $100. That problem will be fixed soon. Those who paid the $100 fee today should not worry and their applications will be processed. Rest assured if there is a problem with your application that you will be contacted by admissions and you do not need to call and/or email for this specific issue.

Happy 4th all!

Last edited:
Official clarification from admissions-

The application fee for MMS is $120, and there was an unexpected technical error with the collection portal charging $100. That problem will be fixed soon. Those who paid the $100 fee today should not worry and their applications will be processed. Rest assured if there is a problem with your application that you will be contacted by admissions and you do not need to call and/or email for this specific issue.

Happy 4th all!

:thumbup:

Submitted the fee and hoping for a LOR request, :).

Members don't see this ad :)
apparently those of us who paid $100 are good to go :)

Last edited:
So I paid the fee but never received a confirmation email...is this normal? Just want to make sure that my payment went through. Thanks!

So I paid the fee but never received a confirmation email...is this normal? Just want to make sure that my payment went through. Thanks!

I received a confirmation e-mail pretty much instantly after my payment. I would call and make sure that they received your payment. You don't want to delay them looking at your app over something like that.

A good word of advice throughout the application cycle: always check your spam mailbox if you haven't gotten anything you think you should have gotten.

Got a second receipt for the initial fee, reminding me also about their LOR policy.

Got it too. So if we already designated letters for them on our AMCAS app, we are never going to hear from them again until interview season? Or will we get an email saying they want our letters and then we just won't have to do anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it too. So if we already designated letters for them on our AMCAS app, we are never going to hear from them again until interview season? Or will we get an email saying they want our letters and then we just won't have to do anything?

My understanding is that it's the former. Someone can correct me, though.

Its the latter, even if you have already assigned letters, you will still get a LOR request, judging from last year's thread. Hopefully they start sending them out soon.

Its the latter, even if you have already assigned letters, you will still get a LOR request, judging from last year's thread. Hopefully they start sending them out soon.

Thank you! And oh my gosh, I would certainly expect one if I had your stats! :D

You are correct. If you have uploaded letters already, you will still get a letter request. However, you shouldn't have to take any action. I think my first post in this thread describes a timeline you can expect.

Mayo is giving us free money already :D

Apparently they are--my credit card was only charged $100 today instead of the full $120!! I guess they felt bad about the confusion and didn't want to upset anyone who would've been unwilling to pay $120 had they known the fee was $20 more...

Letter request!

Nothing :( Did I just get my first rejection? :/ Sucks being international.

Also nothing .. Are all of you verified (I'm not)? I also sent my letters but I've heard they send a request anyway ..

And I haven't sent in (or been asked to) pay the fee yet .. Anyone in that situation get a LOR request?

Also nothing .. Are all of you verified (I'm not)? I also sent my letters but I've heard they send a request anyway ..

Yes, I'm verified and already sent in letters through AMCAS, but no request. Why Mayo? Why?? I refuse to believe that I'm getting screened out with a 4.0/ 37. #overreaction

Letter request here too!

Does mayo invite you to an info form/payment - or how does that work? I haven't gotten anything from them yet ..

Would you guys mind posting when you paid the fee and when you got the email thanking you for the payment?

Does mayo invite you to an info form/payment - or how does that work? I haven't gotten anything from them yet ..

Got an email 5 days ago asking me for 100 bucks, saying it was required to initiate review. Check junk mail or call them. I THINK you should have received this email already. idk for sure though.

For those with LOR requests, did any of you already assign letters in AMCAS before receiving the request?

For those with LOR requests, did any of you already assign letters in AMCAS before receiving the request?

I did not previously assign letters. I wanted to be SURE that I would receive the request if I got one.

Also, I was verified on June 17th, asked for payment from Mayo on July 3rd, received payment confirmation ~2 seconds after clicking submit payment, and an e-mail from Mayo on July 5th thanking me for my payment and information about the LOR request if I would make it to that step.

I received a letter request and had already assigned letters to Mayo in AMCAS prior to receiving the request.

Got an email 5 days ago asking me for 100 bucks, saying it was required to initiate review. Check junk mail or call them. I THINK you should have received this email already. idk for sure though.

Are you verified though? I'm not - maybe that makes a difference?

I did. It means they will just download the letters from AMCAS (no further action required on our part)

Are you verified though? I'm not - maybe that makes a difference?

Yes, I am verified.

Can someone comment on whether they send out LORs in batches? Presumably so... but I paid them 30 minutes after I got the email so I was pretty sure I was early.

Nothing here. :( I'm going to give it a couple more batches before I get neurotic lol.

Nothing here. :( I'm going to give it a couple more batches before I get neurotic lol.

Same. I paid at around 9:30pm eastern time on July 3rd. Did anyone that got a LOR request pay later than that?

Paid around a similar time: July 3rd 5:08pm eastern time. Got the LOR request today at 3:23pm.

+1. Trying not to get my hopes up, though--as much as I know they look for more than just scores, not sure what I've done will outshine my lower-than-their-average MCAT score.

Last edited:
Looks like most of the SDNers getting LOR requests so far have 36-39 MCAT scores...small sample size, but...

Hmm. I wonder. Did anyone here get a fee waiver email and get a LOR request today?

Hmm. I wonder. Did anyone here get a fee waiver email and get a LOR request today?

I had a fee waiver but did not receive a LOR request. I think we should calm down, its literally the first day and its impossible that they have reviewed all of their verified application from last week. In addition, they began sending requests later this year which means they may have even more apps to review