2013-2014 Mayo Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an LOR request! So excited! :) I paid on July 5th
+1 LOR request, July 5 submission! Stats guys, if I may ask?

Members don't see this ad.

LOR Request!!! Fee waiver on July 5th. To those who havent received one do not loose hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
LOR Request!!! Fee waiver on July 5th. To those who havent received one do not loose hope!
Agreed, congrats to everyone who has gotten a request and good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Does anyone know how many LOR requests go out? Slash how many IIs from there?
There is conflicting information on this thread - 800 and 1700 - not sure which it is o_O

Agreed, congrats to everyone who has gotten a request and good luck to everyone still waiting :)

Does anyone know how many LOR requests go out? Slash how many IIs from there?
There is conflicting information on this thread - 800 and 1700 - not sure which it is o_O

+1 I'd like to know this as well.

Data from previous years suggests they interviewed just over 300.

Any guys with mcats in the mid-high 20's receive any LOR requests?

CMOOOONNNNNNNN :thumbup:

LOR request! :)

(Fee paid 7/9, payment received 7/10 )

damn it no LOR request...

+1. Figured I was done after not getting one in the first batch, though--I submitted my payment on the very first day they sent out their secondary fee email...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the LOR request has to do with stats; the fee request does. Mayo has an unusual spread of GPA/MCAT, and the LOR request is more based on EC/Work experiences, from what I have been able to gather.

I don't think the LOR request has to do with stats; the fee request does. Mayo has an unusual spread of GPA/MCAT, and the LOR request is more based on EC/Work experiences, from what I have been able to gather.

The fee request goes to everyone, they state they dont review your app at all until it is payed. It probably takes a while because they send them every now and then to the new batch of applicants they got.

agreed, congrats to everyone who has gotten a request and good luck to everyone still waiting :)

does anyone know how many lor requests go out? Slash how many iis from there?
There is conflicting information on this thread - 800 and 1700 - not sure which it is o.o

+2

So I made a rookie move and updated my AMCAS app to send LORs when I got Mayo's fee request - I knew they didn't want them right away, but thought the fee request was the trigger. My committee actually hasn't sent my letters to AMCAS yet so it's not like they are getting them tomorrow - but still might get there before I get an LOR request if I ever even do. Anyone else do this?? Feeling silly ... :)

So I made a rookie move and updated my AMCAS app to send LORs when I got Mayo's fee request - I knew they didn't want them right away, but thought the fee request was the trigger. My committee actually hasn't sent my letters to AMCAS yet so it's not like they are getting them tomorrow - but still might get there before I get an LOR request if I ever even do. Anyone else do this?? Feeling silly ... :)

I assigned them right away and I think a lot of people do because the email with the LOR request said something along the lines of "If you've already designated letters in AMCAS, no further action is required."

Don't worry -- I assigned my letter (which, like you, my committee has yet to submit to AMCAS) to Mayo before the official request came. Regardless of whether the letter gets there before the request, the request email will come and will note that if you've already assigned Mayo letters, you won't need to do anything.

I got the LOR request a couple days ago as well, I assigned all my letters when I submitted. I was verified the day after AMCAS opened (submitted 20 minutes after it opened). I guess I made it through on the second batch. I did get an email from one of their admissions folks clarifying some pre-req work. The next day I got the LOR request.

Are we supposed to receive an additional e-mail notifying us that we are complete?

according to past applicants or people who got accepted, they received a "complete/LOR received" email. Just look up or past few pages you should see it.

Congrats everyone. Still no luck :(

Hey hopefulMD12, I just saw from the Mayo website that they stopped accepting internationals this year :( really sucks considering they used to accept so many (6/50 last year and 3 out of 6 of MSTP students ) :cry:

http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/admissions/prerequisites
International Applicants

All M.D. program applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada at the time of application. Foreign nationals, regardless of Visa status, are not eligible for admission to Mayo Medical School.

http://www.mayo.edu/mgs/programs/medical-scientist-training-program/admissions/prerequisites
International applicants

All M.D.-Ph.D. Program applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application. Foreign nationals, regardless of visa status, are not eligible for admission to the M.D.-Ph.D. Program.

edit: never mind, you're canadian haha... i guess it's just me who's screwed...

Last edited:
Rejected with lower stats, but I'm okay. Interview invites at three other schools. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected with lower stats, but I'm okay. Interview invites at three other schools. Good luck to everyone else!

+1; one interview invite elsewhere and hopefully more coming. This was a big reach for me and I saw the writing on the wall when I didn't get a LOR request.

Ditto on the good luck to everyone else! :)

I have a few really important updates (clinical job, volunteering, tutoring) since when I submitted my primary application. Does anyone know how to get them this information/when their offices open?

Did you get a LOR received email or did they just send you a rejection notice?

I have a few really important updates (clinical job, volunteering, tutoring) since when I submitted my primary application. Does anyone know how to get them this information/when their offices open?

It's wayyyyyyyyy to early to submit updates already lol

It's wayyyyyyyyy to early to submit updates already lol

I agree with that, but at a school like Mayo where they screen for the first step I feel that it is important to show them that I am actually doing something in my gap year. I did get an LOR request last year and my application does have a lot of new updates, but becoming a full time PCA, tutoring, etc are a pretty big deal I think.

I agree with that, but at a school like Mayo where they screen for the first step I feel that it is important to show them that I am actually doing something in my gap year. I did get an LOR request last year and my application does have a lot of new updates, but becoming a full time PCA, tutoring, etc are a pretty big deal I think.

If you've been in your job long enough for it to be a meaningful experience for your application, get someone to write a letter from there. Medical schools will be able to see through these kinds of things and distinguish "oh, this is just something they felt they would benefit from tagging onto their app" or "oh, this is actually a pretty important piece of material for us to know at this point" do you know what I mean? I do not mean to be discouraging, I am just playing devils advocate.

If you've been in your job long enough for it to be a meaningful experience for your application, get someone to write a letter from there. Medical schools will be able to see through these kinds of things and distinguish "oh, this is just something they felt they would benefit from tagging onto their app" or "oh, this is actually a pretty important piece of material for us to know at this point" do you know what I mean? I do not mean to be discouraging, I am just playing devils advocate.

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't think you are correct. What is better for an application-- For the medical school to think you are being a bum all year, or for them to know that after two months and a half months of job searching you finally found a clinical job that you are going to be working full time/have been volunteering during your free time/have been tutoring students. There's nothing to see through in this kind of message-- It's just showing them when I am doing while I am not a full time student for the next year and my dedication to improving my application to get into medical school. There is a huge difference between them thinking that I have been doing nothing since graduation and them knowing that I have been trying as hard as I could to find a job, have been volunteering in the mean time, and that I just found a full time job that I will be working at for the next year.

The meaningful part is important, sure. But again, this is just to aid in consideration of an interview request. The actual interview is where they would be able to see if I'm full of poop or not.

My email just essentially said "you weren't selected to interview ... sorry" -- is that what you guys got as well?

Not really sure how I got screened out (with the stats I have) without them even taking their precious time to bother to read my letters. They took my money and couldn't even take ten minutes to read letters from those who know me best ...

I think I understand what you mean, but I don't think you are correct. What is better for an application-- For the medical school to think you are being a bum all year, or for them to know that after two months and a half months of job searching you finally found a clinical job that you are going to be working full time/have been volunteering during your free time/have been tutoring students. There's nothing to see through in this kind of message-- It's just showing them when I am doing while I am not a full time student for the next year and my dedication to improving my application to get into medical school. There is a huge difference between them thinking that I have been doing nothing since graduation and them knowing that I have been trying as hard as I could to find a job, have been volunteering in the mean time, and that I just found a full time job that I will be working at for the next year.

The meaningful part is important, sure. But again, this is just to aid in consideration of an interview request. The actual interview is where they would be able to see if I'm full of poop or not.

I agree with you. I think you should definitely let them know what you're up to. In my opinion, it can only help.

Same here.
How f'ed up is that.
At least have the decency to look at my PS and letters of rec.
Oh well, they dont deserve us :)

I got rejected two years ago 2 days after paying..

This time...silence for the past 2 weeks with a 3.9/38. Improvement I guess.

I got rejected two years ago 2 days after paying..

This time...silence for the past 2 weeks with a 3.9/38. Improvement I guess.

lol sounds like improvement to me.. best of luck to you!
what have you been up to in the past two years?
if given an interview, make sure to kill it for the two of us

lol sounds like improvement to me.. best of luck to you!
what have you been up to in the past two years?
if given an interview, make sure to kill it for the two of us

During the first interview year I was in my senior year of college. Did some additional research, graduated with a few honors.

This past year I've been conducting research, more volunteering, got a pub out, and some other minor things.

Really hoping for an interview....but seeing as I've already been passed over for two rounds of LOR requests, it's not looking good :(

During the first interview year I was in my senior year of college. Did some additional research, graduated with a few honors.

This past year I've been conducting research, more volunteering, got a pub out, and some other minor things.

Really hoping for an interview....but seeing as I've already been passed over for two rounds of LOR requests, it's not looking good :(

i've worked at admissions before and I could tell you that they will definitely consider your application, knowing that you applied two previous times! plus it looks like you've kept yourself busy in the past two years, so lets keep those fingers crossed!

edit: Rejected, 39+ mcat, 3.92 GPA. lol.

Last edited:
Haha, no I meant I was rejected, I edited my post!

What the heck? I seriously don't understand this whole admission process...

It's a reach school, so I know I'll probably get rejected eventually..

first rejection over here. 3.93 GPA, 36 MCAT

bummed they didn't look at my LORs, but what can ya do?

edit: Rejected, 39+ mcat, 3.92 GPA. lol.

Whuuuut?? Maybe they are picking apps at random and alternating LOR and reject piles......or maybe they thought your stats were too high? Might go elsewhere? But it's a great school so I repeat......whuuuttt?

Whuuuut?? Maybe they are picking apps at random and alternating LOR and reject piles......or maybe they thought your stats were too high? Might go elsewhere? But it's a great school so I repeat......whuuuttt?

It must be the EC's/activity descriptions. It's not a lot to go on, but it's something. How else could so many 3.9+/36+ get rejected pre-LOR? :/

Mayo's focus isn't on stats much past deciding you can handle the workload. EC's are really important at this school and so are letters.

Sorry for those that didn't make it. Good luck on the rest of your schools. Mayo's great, but there are a lot of awesome schools out there.

Reactions: 1 user