2013-2014 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I went to Wash U undergrad and I've known quite a few people who have gone to SLU for medical school and I can tell you that by no means were all of them religious/Jesuit. My understanding is that the school was established on Jesuit tradition (those with the capability to help should help those with the need for help) but the religious influence at the med school isn't really strong. I would encourage everyone to keep going with the application and then (hopefully) see for yourselves at interviews!

Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Wash U undergrad and I've known quite a few people who have gone to SLU for medical school and I can tell you that by no means were all of them religious/Jesuit. My understanding is that the school was established on Jesuit tradition (those with the capability to help should help those with the need for help) but the religious influence at the med school isn't really strong. I would encourage everyone to keep going with the application and then (hopefully) see for yourselves at interviews!

I was aware of this, but I was actually wondering whether we should mention Jesuit ideals specifically in an interview or secondary. For instance, I've been told that at Georgetown, that's essentially a requirement, but at some of the other Jesuit schools, you don't need to mention it at all.

I was aware of this, but I was actually wondering whether we should mention Jesuit ideals specifically in an interview or secondary. For instance, I've been told that at Georgetown, that's essentially a requirement, but at some of the other Jesuit schools, you don't need to mention it at all.

Unfortunately I'm not sure about that... Honestly I hadn't heard that about Georgetown, I have known a couple people who attended who are definitely not Jesuit. So either that's not completely true or they fudged a little in their interview haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that I am necessarily expecting an interview, but can anyone give any more input on the whole "if you get an interview you have a REALLY good shot here" thing is?

Not that I am necessarily expecting an interview, but can anyone give any more input on the whole "if you get an interview you have a REALLY good shot here" thing is?
SLU interviews 16.7% of their applicants; 57% of interviewed students are accepted. 31% of accepted students matriculate.

This is from US News' data.

SLU interviews 16.7% of their applicants; 57% of interviewed students are accepted. 31% of accepted students matriculate.

Wow only 31% of accepted students enroll? That's lower than I thought

Wow only 31% of accepted students enroll? That's lower than I thought
Yup - apparently they send out 576 acceptances to fill a class of 178. At least the wait list will be moving, right? :)

Thanks much, sounds like if you get an interview then essentially all that matters after that is how well your interview goes.

Can someone please write a tutorial on the "Why ____?" essay questions.

People in this thread have been mentioning writing "Why SLU?" for the optional comments essay like an afterthought. I find this a bit odd as I find such a task incredibly difficult. Why SLU? Because it has great tuition and pretty scenery. I don't have the first clue about how to spin that into something worthwhile.

Can someone please write a tutorial on the "Why ____?" essay questions.

People in this thread have been mentioning writing "Why SLU?" for the optional comments essay like an afterthought. I find this a bit odd as I find such a task incredibly difficult. Why SLU? Because it has great tuition and pretty scenery. I don't have the first clue about how to spin that into something worthwhile.

I researched their website and took notes on a word document detailing everything I thought was interesting, unique, or clearly important to them. Then I found 3 things I felt I could write a small paragraph each about and wrote my essay (no intro or concluding paragraphs).

For instance, student wellness is very important to them--they instituted pass/fail grading recently with this in mind, and offer different stress relieving opportunities (yoga classes, a student garden, etc.). There are a lot of unique things about the school if you really delve into their website. Go beyond the admissions pages and you'll find things to write about. :)

For the first question on the secondary about previous years of applying to this school did you put N/A, none, or leave it blank?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply!!

I was going to leave it blank until I looked at the preview and it said that they answer had not been completed yet.

No problem. :)

Yeah secondaries are weird with their required boxes that don't necessarily apply to everyone...it really should be a yes/no question that has a drop-down essay if yes (like the rest of the SLU app).

For the "Will you be a full-time student for the 2013-2014 academic year? Describe current activities question", is it enough to just list my activities or should I go into detail into each activity.

Sooo US News lists these stats for In-State applicants:

Interviewed - 129
Accepted - 116

Can that possibly be correct?! :confused:

US News had similar numbers for the 2012-2013 instate applicants

Hey all,

I interviewed and was ultimately accepted here last cycle. For any who are interested, I wrote about the interview experience here. Good luck!

just received money so I can now apply here. hopefulyl i get the secondary soon

Is anyone else having major issues with the online secondary?

I submitted a month ago and can't remember exactly why it wouldn't let me upload a photo, but I gave up and submitted everything else anyway. I uploaded a photo on "other documents." Now, when I go to the status check, it says application fee paid, MD application certified, and applicant photo not uploaded.

The top of the page says "Application Incomplete" in red letters.

Below that it says:

Thank you for applying to Saint Louis University School of Medicine. Your AMCAS materials have been received.

All future communications will be made by e-mail.

The committee reviews applications upon completion, however you may not hear from us for several months. Be assured that you will be notified of any change in status as soon as possible.

WTF is going on with this demon secondary?

Is anyone else having major issues with the online secondary?

I submitted a month ago and can't remember exactly why it wouldn't let me upload a photo, but I gave up and submitted everything else anyway. I uploaded a photo on "other documents." Now, when I go to the status check, it says application fee paid, MD application certified, and applicant photo not uploaded.

The top of the page says "Application Incomplete" in red letters.

Below that it says:

Thank you for applying to Saint Louis University School of Medicine. Your AMCAS materials have been received.

All future communications will be made by e-mail.

The committee reviews applications upon completion, however you may not hear from us for several months. Be assured that you will be notified of any change in status as soon as possible.

WTF is going on with this demon secondary?

Have you not uploaded a photo via the photo-specific page? It probably isn't smart enough to tell them to check your app until it sees "everything" is in. I would try and upload it to the photo page itself. If you already have, then I would call/email them and ask.

Have you not uploaded a photo via the photo-specific page? It probably isn't smart enough to tell them to check your app until it sees "everything" is in. I would try and upload it to the photo page itself. If you already have, then I would call/email them and ask.

Haha, the "upload photo" page was redirecting me to the application checklist that says my photo was not updated :bang:

Read the FAQs though (prob should have done that before posting) and it says I can email them the photo as the attachment. Took the opportunity to update them with my summer grades/planned fall coursework...hopefully that wasn't too forward seeing as how they haven't even sent me an ii yet

Haha, the "upload photo" page was redirecting me to the application checklist that says my photo was not updated :bang:

Read the FAQs though (prob should have done that before posting) and it says I can email them the photo as the attachment. Took the opportunity to update them with my summer grades/planned fall coursework...hopefully that wasn't too forward seeing as how they haven't even sent me an ii yet

Sounds like it should all work out okay then :thumbup:

Received and submitted secondary today. Hoping for some more Jesuit love!

II Today too! First this season! WOOOOO

Edit:
Does anyone know how jesuit SLU is? I can't decide whether to interview or not, but given as it is my only option as of now, I probably should.

Congrats on the interview! And from what I've heard, SLU isn't too religious, the school just emphasizes service more. Personally, I'm not religious at all, and I still really like this school.

II Today too! First this season! WOOOOO

Edit:
Does anyone know how jesuit SLU is? I can't decide whether to interview or not, but given as it is my only option as of now, I probably should.

Yes, now is not the time to be selective.

Anyone know how common it is to be complete early but not get an interview til a little bit later? :(

Anyone know how common it is to be complete early but not get an interview til a little bit later? :(

Probably common....I don't know but I speculate the reading of applications is not a simple linear/chronological task. Each school probably subdivides applications to be read based on who knows what factors.

It does seem to me that high stats people get II first. So if you are really high stats then maybe I'd be worried, but otherwise no.

Probably common....I don't know but I speculate the reading of applications is not a simple linear/chronological task. Each school probably subdivides applications to be read based on who knows what factors.

It does seem to me that high stats people get II first. So if you are really high stats then maybe I'd be worried, but otherwise no.

I agree with this, as far as linear reading goes. I've had a school this cycle already where the first big wave went out on a Thursday, and I received an interview Monday despite being complete very early.

Thanks, I appreciate the input!

I agree with this, as far as linear reading goes. I've had a school this cycle already where the first big wave went out on a Thursday, and I received an interview Monday despite being complete very early.

That makes me feel better, thanks!

When are you guys interviewing? Any 9/9 'ers out there?
Also, are you guys planning on staying with student hosts or at hotels? I'm super confused o_O

9/17 over here. And I have some friends at SLU's undergrad so I might just stay with them while I'm in STL.

Did anyone find where they list their community service activities on the website? I cannot seem to find any programs which is weird because they're committed to social justice

I'm with you; I really want to interview with SLU but have not heard back yet despite being complete in mid-July...hoping for the best! :xf:

A friend got an interview late fall (I think November) and still got in last year (she was complete in early August) so it seems things hopefully should be okay.

Plus, like most schools, SLU likely interviews the highest stats people/those with the most intriguing stories first.

Woa this blog has been scarily silent since August 13th. Anybody else heard anything from SLU? It seems so strange to me that they just release a batch of interview invites on the 13th and totally silent since. I myself haven't heard anything and begin to wonder.

Anything guys and girls?

Woa this blog has been scarily silent since August 13th. Anybody else heard anything from SLU? It seems so strange to me that they just release a batch of interview invites on the 13th and totally silent since. I myself haven't heard anything and begin to wonder.

Anything guys and girls?

Why is that scary? Its not like they sent out ALL of their interview invites on one day and no more will ever come.

I know they interview until March. It just seems strange to me that they release interview invites on the 13th and then silent since then, that's all. In previous years I think they do it continuously after the 13th.

I know they interview until March. It just seems strange to me that they release interview invites on the 13th and then silent since then, that's all. In previous years I think they do it continuously after the 13th.

I wouldn't worry. I imagine we will see another batch of IIs sent out at the end of this week or at some point next week.

From what I have seen...most schools send IIs in wave. The frequency at which they do it depends.