2014-2015 Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted off hpwl and planning to attend!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received housing information yet?

Also accepted off of HPWL Friday morning; as Einstein was my top choice school, I will be attending.

Did those of you who were accepted today receive the Certiphi email? The "Instructions for Accepted Students" page says that the Certiphi email will be received on the same day as the acceptance email. I am a little uneasy about not getting anything yet since the Einstein website/emails are very insistent about having the form in within a week from today. I'm probably worrying over nothing...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted off of HPWL Friday morning; as Einstein was my top choice school, I will be attending.

Did those of you who were accepted today receive the Certiphi email? The "Instructions for Accepted Students" page says that the Certiphi email will be received on the same day as the acceptance email. I am a little uneasy about not getting anything yet since the Einstein website/emails are very insistent about having the form in within a week from today. I'm probably worrying over nothing...
I haven't gotten one yet either. It's good to know that someone else is in the same boat.

I haven't received the certiphi email either.
Also, do we need to have all of our health forms submitted by 4 weeks after our acceptance? I think that is what I understood from the email but I would like to confirm.

I haven't received the certiphi email either.
Also, do we need to have all of our health forms submitted by 4 weeks after our acceptance? I think that is what I understood from the email but I would like to confirm.
I just received the Certiphi email this morning. As for health forms, it is my understanding that we do indeed have to have them in within four weeks from last Friday.

I just received the Certiphi email this morning. As for health forms, it is my understanding that we do indeed have to have them in within four weeks from last Friday.

You can call the Occupational Health Safety office numbers on the forms, they seemed pretty chill about it if you needed a little more time for appointments and such. Important to note you need TWO PPD tests a week apart from each other so its not just a 'turn your head and cough' in & out physical. Allocate two weeks for it! Also the TDAP shot (if you need it) sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else who interviewed after February not have a decision yet. Its sort of ridiculous.

You can call the Occupational Health Safety office numbers on the forms, they seemed pretty chill about it if you needed a little more time for appointments and such. Important to note you need TWO PPD tests a week apart from each other so its not just a 'turn your head and cough' in & out physical. Allocate two weeks for it! Also the TDAP shot (if you need it) sucks.
Thanks for the tips! I was thinking about doing an IGRA test instead of a PPD one so I only have to go to the doctor's once (the email I received said that Einstein will take an IGRA test in the place of two PPD tests)

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking about doing an IGRA test instead of a PPD one so I only have to go to the doctor's once (the email I received said that Einstein will take an IGRA test in the place of two PPD tests)
Yeah that works too, wish I had gone that route. TDAP still sucks though.

Those of you who got the service and research scholarship, how long after being accepted were you notified about the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got off the HPWL on Friday with a service and research scholarship email a couple hours after. Committed today and could not be more excited! There are so many incredible opportunities here and I wish everyone else on the waitlist the best of luck!

Still waiting on a post-interview decision - I interviewed at the end of March. The waiting is the worst part of this whole process. Has anyone else who interviewed around then heard back recently?
Yup, interviewed at end of March, got HPWL end of April, and got in last Friday.

I haven't gotten one yet either. It's good to know that someone else is in the same boat.
Pretty sure that if you did the background check previously because you got accepted to another med school, Einstein will already have it. I think Certiphi releases the background check to all the schools on your list once you complete it the first time.

Notified of receiving it.

I actually did not send in an application for the scholarship. I was just about to send it in today when I received the email that it was awarded to me.

In the scholarship letter they sent you, was the name of the award actually "Service and Research Scholarship" or was it "So-and-So Donor Scholarship". I'm just curious because I got a sizable award without applying for the S and R Scholarship too.

Hi all,

I was filling in the Financial Aid Questionnaire. What is our Banner ID/ where can it be found?
I called financial aid and asked about it, and I was told that incoming students should send them the form without the banner ID and that they would figure it out.

Can someone comment on the wisdom of bringing a car out to AE? I am not super familiar with The Bronx. Thank you!

Can someone comment on the wisdom of bringing a car out to AE? I am not super familiar with The Bronx. Thank you!
There's a decent amount of street parking. Or, you can pay $90/month for underground parking right underneath housing. It's super convenient.

A car at Einstein is definitely helpful to have! Not needed, but very helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
For Current Einstein Students,

I know the curriculum is P/F for the first two years, however, are internal rankings kept? Some schools internally rank and others don't so I just wanted to get some student feedback.

For Current Einstein Students,

I know the curriculum is P/F for the first two years, however, are internal rankings kept? Some schools internally rank and others don't so I just wanted to get some student feedback.
They're pretty emphatic that there's absolutely no internal rankings kept of students during the first 2 years.

Declined wait list spot just last week. Put a deposit down for a place and going to my state school, so I couldn't wait any longer. Good luck to everyone still in the game!

If I'm on the HPWL, but didn't interview until late Feb. do i even reasonably have a chance at acceptance? They do rolling admin right?

If I'm on the HPWL, but didn't interview until late Feb. do i even reasonably have a chance at acceptance? They do rolling admin right?
I interviewed in early mid-february and I got in off the HPWL a little over a week ago. It is definitely still possible. Don't lose hope!

I interviewed in early mid-february and I got in off the HPWL a little over a week ago. It is definitely still possible. Don't lose hope!

Thanks for the word of encouragement. I loved Einstein. Also happens to be my last shot before reapplying.
Not knowing whether to reapply or not, wait an extra year, get a job etc. is a pain! Wishing I could've gotten my app in earlier.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Hey everyone, not sure if this was asked at all in the thread but is there a Facebook page for the incoming class? Congrats to those who were recently accepted, the more the merrier :)

Would a current student mind clearing up the housing situation here, please?
As far as I understand, studios are for couples. Are one-bedrooms a lottery, essentially?
And the two bedroom apartments, are they for 2 students or three?

Here's a link to the housing floor plans for reference.

https://www.einstein.yu.edu/docs/administration/auxiliary-services/housing/floor-plan.pdf

This topic has been explored in depth in both this years and last years thread (worth taking a look)

Put simply, here's how it works:

If you're married without kids, you automatically go into a studio. You can then choose to be put on the wait list for a 1 bedroom, which you may receive sometime later down the line (depending on availability).
If you are married with kids, you automatically go into a 2 bedroom apartment (generally).

As for single people: you are put into a 1 bedroom (which is really a 2 bedroom converted) with another student, or you are put into a 2 bedroom (which is really a 3 bedroom concerted) with 2 other students.

Single people can choose to sign up for the studio wait list, but that typically takes a while to get.

Rejected from the regular wait list. Sad to not have gotten the chance to study at this amazing school but grateful to have acceptances elsewhere.

Could anyone please be shed some light on what you do for the 4 days of orientation?

How early can students expect to hear back about housing?

I have a friend in the school and he's currently an MS1 who is in a 1BR set up (two BR converted), his rommate left and so the room is ready for another, so housing doesn't have to go through the messy random match-up process with me, since he told them he wants me as a roommate as well. Has anyone been in this position before?

Got a call asking if I am still interested. On the regular wait list!

Congrats to Einstein's class of 2015 on their graduation today!

Followup question!

my family recently moved out of state; who do I talk to about a change in permanent address? Also, has anyone tried to commute to campus from NJ? Almost considering against campus housing; got a call from housing this morning saying they can't complete my roommate request :( but moreso because it would save money.

Followup question!

my family recently moved out of state; who do I talk to about a change in permanent address? Also, has anyone tried to commute to campus from NJ? Almost considering against campus housing; got a call from housing this morning saying they can't complete my roommate request :( but moreso because it would save money.

Call the admissions office with the address change.

Where would live that is cheaper than on campus? What roommate request did they deny?

Call the admissions office with the address change.

Where would live that is cheaper than on campus? What roommate request did they deny?
I called in and asked if I could request someone as my roommate since I have it listed on the form and was told this person had already listed a preferred roommate. I'm wondering if I should simply commute from home to school, since I know classes are recorded and I have a lot of loans from undergraduate already.

I called in and asked if I could request someone as my roommate since I have it listed on the form and was told this person had already listed a preferred roommate. I'm wondering if I should simply commute from home to school, since I know classes are recorded and I have a lot of loans from undergraduate already.
I would say it depends on where in NJ you will live - if you live relatively close to the GWB it may not be so bad, although that and the Cross Bronx can get pretty trafficky. But FYI during first year anatomy (from October-March) you will have to come in the morning for lab virtually every day, so keep that in mind