2014-2015 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS re-applicant here! Hoping this will be my year! Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else still waiting for a secondary? I'm an international applicant, so maybe I'm last in line.

Members don't see this ad :)
argh. No secondary yet though I was verified on day one. I already have my MCAT score in, but I'm still waiting on a retake score. That must be the cause for the delay. Better just prewrite the secondary.

argh. No secondary yet though I was verified on day one. I already have my MCAT score in, but I'm still waiting on a retake score. That must be the cause for the delay. Better just prewrite the secondary.
Yeah, if they know you are re-taking it or you have and the score is not released yet, they are going to wait for the new score. Good luck!

I don't have the secondary yet either; find it weird I wouldn't get it as I'm IS with a LizzyM>70

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they take a while to send all these secondaries out judging from last year's thread. I bet if a lot more people had received the secondary by now, this thread would be a whole lot more busy.

I guess I'll start pre-writing this secondary since this is one of my last ones. Can anybody who has received a secondary confirm that the Question III topics are the same regarding stem cell treatment for a pediatric patient and palliative care for a paralyzed elderly patient?

I guess I'll start pre-writing this secondary since this is one of my last ones. Can anybody who has received a secondary confirm that the Question III topics are the same regarding stem cell treatment for a pediatric patient and palliative care for a paralyzed elderly patient?

Confirmed.

Just received secondary, awesome!

Sames, looks like they sent out a 2nd batch of secondaries today =D

Submitted my primary 1st day possible if that helps anyone who is still waiting. Definitely try to pre-write these!

Reactions: 1 users
Still no secondary here =(

No secondary yet, OOS, LizzyM > 70 and submitted on first day.

can someone post the essay questions please? I haven't received the secondary but want to start

nvm, are they the same as last year's

Last edited:
Hey all, figured I'd share a recent positive experience as a student of the school. I'll spare the details of the situation, but basically because of mix-up on my part and miscommunication with a preceptor, he failed me for a rotation and filed a complaint which would have had even had negative consequences which were worse than that failure itself. I'm a good student and performed well in everything else, so I wasn't really sure what to do, and the Dr. in charge of the rotation was going to be out of the country so I just waited on her anxiously. I met with her before having an official meeting and after hearing me out, she was very supportive and looking for solutions to the issue. A few days later, at the meeting, I learned just how hard the docs in charge and my counselor had been working to figure out what was wrong - they looked through my transcript which didn't add up with the sudden failure. Technically I wasn't even supposed to be able to do my ER rotation last month, but they worked it out on the assumption that something was amiss. Anyways, after hearing my side of the story, they also were very supportive, and found a solution which allows me to keep my record from being tarnished. While perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised by the help and support I received, I didn't really ever expect the busy staff to go so far out of their way to help me. The thing is, I'm a quiet guy and am probably too passive at times for my own good (they were surprised that their inboxes didn't explode with emails from me afterwards), and it there is a strong possibility that without their insistence, I wouldn't have tried to appeal, and would have just taken the hit. Anyways, I hope nothing like this happens to you guys, but it is good to know that the staff actually has your back when you need it.

As long as I'm posting, as far as the rest of the program, I personally felt most of the 1st and 2nd year courses were taught well and that they prepped me well for step 1 (I got a 247); I've spoken to multiple people who did well on step 1 and they felt the same way in regards to the course content helping them. Third year rotations are a bit more dependent on what hospital you're in, but having one of the less popular ones, I still felt I saw and learned a great deal. I'm not on much these days, but I'll try to get back to this thread if you guys have any questions. Oh, and for anyone who gets in, do co-curricular (volunteering for credits), my biggest regret is thinking I couldn't handle it with the workload when, in hind sight, I obviously could have.

Did anyone whose application was verified within the last 2 weeks receive a secondary application invite?

Verified early June, still no secondary. Anyone else still waiting?

Question II (Non Residents must answer Question A – Michigan residents may choose any of the 3 to answer)

A. Discuss the reasons you wish to pursue your medical education at Wayne State University School of Medicine. What do you anticipate being the most challenging and most rewarding?

This question...when they ask "most challenging/most rewarding"...y'all think they're talking about medical school at Wayne or being a physician?

I applied to Wayne last year and was offered an interview but unfortunately didn't get accepted (I think mainly because I applied super late). Since the secondary is exactly the same as last year's, is it safe to just copy what I previously submitted (with some minor modifications of course)?

You got rejected using your last app. But by all means, use the same app again. I'm sure the result will be different.

I applied to Wayne last year and was offered an interview but unfortunately didn't get accepted (I think mainly because I applied super late). Since the secondary is exactly the same as last year's, is it safe to just copy what I previously submitted (with some minor modifications of course)?
I would definitely edit the essays. They are very likely to compare last year's app to this year, and if you simply submit the exact same thing, that is likely to reflect poorly on you. At least re work the essays so they are not identical, even if you are saying essentially the same thing.

IIRC, they had a packet with my application from the prior year and the year I interviewed, bc we discussed what changes I had made to increase my competitiveness. Also, while late applications are not ideal, with Wayne's semi rolling admissions process if you interview you can't blame not being accepted on application timing

IIRC, they had a packet with my application from the prior year and the year I interviewed, bc we discussed what changes I had made to increase my competitiveness. Also, while late applications are not ideal, with Wayne's semi rolling admissions process if you interview you can't blame not being accepted on application timing

Hey joker2400, do you remember how long it took you to receive an interview invite after you submitted your secondary application?

Secondary received on 8/6! AMCAS Verified on 6/10.
IS - 32/3.63c/3.57s

Received a secondary. Does anyone know what size digital photo we are supposed to send? Or what dimensions they want?

edit: for those interested, I was verified late-June before the 27th

They didn't specify, as far as I can tell. I'm using a bigger one because I'm actually adding my name/AAMC# as a caption to my photo (They said to include it on EVERYTHING, so I guess I'm playing it safe haha)

still waiting on this secondary...are you ****ing kidding me what stone age system are they using

Hello all, just want to let you guys know that it's still a bit early so just be patient and hopefully you will all receive secondaries.

Wayne starts interviews in Sep. and they go on for several months. I think they have 6-7 acceptance dates. I also noticed that they are quite fast with the process once you get the secondary.

I know the waiting is tough but just hang in there.

Secondary Received!

Secondary Received!
Nice! I called them today and they said it will take them at least 2-3 weeks to send out all the secondaries. Having not received one yet, I fear falling behind this cycle.

Last edited:
Nice! I called them today ad they said it will take them at least 2-3 weeks to send out all the secondaries. Having not received one yet, I fear falling behind this cycle.

Thanks for the info. At least I'm pretty much done pre-writing my secondary so I can submit as soon as I get it =P

Secondary received. I'm Canadian: does anyone know what they mean by "Financial Resources Document"? Can't seem to find any mention of it in the email or on the website...

It should have been attached in the email you received the secondary in. If it's not there, call them and inform them.

Submitted! No more secondaries for this guy!

Now, what to do with my time...

Good afternoon. I was surprised to not have gotten secondary yet, but when I called WS today, they said "in a big pile of pending applications." My larger concern was that I had never received the email they stated they sent on July 11, 2014 acknowledging my application....it was not there, not in junk mail, etc. If you never got an email from them acknowledging primary app, you might want to call to discuss. This hasn't happened anywhere else for me yet. Best of luck!!!

Good afternoon. I was surprised to not have gotten secondary yet, but when I called WS today, they said "in a big pile of pending applications." My larger concern was that I had never received the email they stated they sent on July 11, 2014 acknowledging my application....it was not there, not in junk mail, etc. If you never got an email from them acknowledging primary app, you might want to call to discuss. This hasn't happened anywhere else for me yet. Best of luck!!!

Have others received an e-mail acknowledging that they received your primary application? Thank you.

Have others received an e-mail acknowledging that they received your primary application? Thank you.

I read it on this post, and when I called in they said, "we sent you the email, we have record right here." So technically, if they have received your primary, you should have received that email. I submitted June 10 and was verified on June 23, and that email went to me on July 11, 2014.