2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected yesterday, complete in August.
Good luck all

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II today! So happy, first good news in a long while. Submitted 8/7 complete 10/2

Good luck to all!

I have the same submission and complete dates as you. Please please please *fingers crossed*

Current first-year student here! So far Einstein has far and away exceeded all of my expectations. I'm here to answer any of your questions.

I just want to throw it out there that Einstein doesn't give out many outright acceptances. A lot of people get the High Priority Waitlist (HPWL) and then get periodically surveyed for interest. It think its their way of keeping yield high. I was accepted off the HPWL with a significant scholarship, and I treated my HPWL almost like an acceptance.

Einstein is an amazing and unique place. For those of you who come in to interview, be sure to talk to students here about their experiences. Einstein is an incredibly humble school, and I felt like I learned almost nothing on my interview day. If you have anything you're concerned about (curriculum, research, global health, free clinic etc.) ASK THE STUDENTS. You'll be blown away with what you find out. There's a reason why almost all of the faculty went to med school here and stuck around for 30+ years. (Also, Oliver Sachs worked here for 40 years :nailbiting:, so they can tell you stories about him)
I can only personally speak to the 2014-2015 Application Cycle Interviews. I found most of the people that interviewed on the same day as me found that the interviews were very conversational. During interview day there is very little (in actuality, no) formal presentations. Basically you just arrive, check-in, wait for a little while, take a tour (including dorms), have lunch, and ask questions to current med students. It was really refreshing to not have to sit for 2+ hours in one room. Some of my fellow interviewee's already completed their interview by the time I arrived.

From what I have read on the forums here, most previous years have had some variation of the aforementioned. Usually the interview is very calm, and chill. Also, as an option for those students who felt they didn't connect with their interviewer you can request a second interview if it's not too late in the day. Einstein was the only medical school that offered to do that (out of the schools I interviewed at).

Does anyone know if requesting a second interview reflects negatively on your application in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if requesting a second interview at Einstein reflects negatively on your application in any way?

You can request a second interview? How about if I request that they give me a first interview?

Reactions: 14 users
does anyone know if requesting a second interview at Einstein reflects negatively on your application in any way?
I think you have to request a re-interview by the end of your interview day... But i'm pretty sure it would have no effect whatsoever on your application.

Anyone else starting to get anxious for post-interview decisions? I've either been waitlisted or deferred everywhere else and knowing that Einstein places a lot of people on waitlists doesn't have me feeling so great...

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else starting to get anxious for post-interview decisions? I've either been waitlisted or deferred everywhere else and knowing that Einstein places a lot of people on waitlists doesn't have me feeling so great...
Suuuuuper nervous. Einstein is definitely my top choice from all the places I've interviewed so far and I'm already on two other waitlists. I'm kind of dreading/anticipating another waitlist from them, but I have so much hope, damn it!

I know its still a few weeks out until the first wave of decisions are released but keep in mind that if there is any school where getting waitlisted is not bad news, it is this one!! Especially if you are on the HPWL, so stay positive!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone still seeing this?

The Einstein Secondary Application is Closed
The Secondary Application will be available for the 2017 entering class in July.

does this mean I am rejected?

I've been complete since July 10th. I'm getting the feeling that I submitted my application TOO early and it's sitting at the very bottom of their giant application file...to the point it hasn't even been reviewed yet. But I understand it could also mean I'm on hold/re-review or whatever. Is there anyone else that's survived the rejection waves and was complete in July?

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, if you've been interviewed, how soon is too soon to send an LOI, do you think?

Sorry if this has already been answered. I only remember people asking about it if they hadn't been interviewed. :/

I've been complete since July 10th. I'm getting the feeling that I submitted my application TOO early and it's sitting at the very bottom of their giant application file...to the point it hasn't even been reviewed yet. But I understand it could also mean I'm on hold/re-review or whatever. Is there anyone else that's survived the rejection waves and was complete in July?

same boat. same feelings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, if you've been interviewed, how soon is too soon to send an LOI, do you think?

Sorry if this has already been answered. I only remember people asking about it if they hadn't been interviewed. :/

Personally, I would say that you could send a letter of interest as soon as you find out what your status is. Granted it will probably be more effective for the HPWL than the regular WL, the key is persistence.

In terms of LOI I just want to clarify this a little. So, in general there are letters of interest and letters of intent (both LOI). Letters of interest are great and Einstein actually encourages you in their HPWL email to tell them you are still interested. However, letters of intent are an entirely different matter. Last year I was in a similar boat as many of the people on here (waitlist but no acceptance) and I remember contacting a former Dean of Admission at my local medical school (I knew him from an extracurricular activity I did while in undergrad). I was advised that letters of intent have very little value because they are not binding (in fact as he put it, anyone can write a letter of intent, but as soon as they get a better offer it is pretty much gone with the wind).

Bottom line, if you are interested I would send them a letter ASAP after you get your decision. Sorry for the digression, just wanted to clarify the term LOI.

Anyone still seeing this?

The Einstein Secondary Application is Closed
The Secondary Application will be available for the 2017 entering class in July.

does this mean I am rejected?
I'm seeing that too. The portal for Downstate (online supplement thing) recently went blank too. I'm expecting it's part of the system as we've run past the due dates, rather than a rejection. But.... who knows? I haven't been explicitly rejected from Einstein yet, submitted August but not 'complete' until October so I probably have awhile until that axe falls.

I'm seeing that too. The portal for Downstate (online supplement thing) recently went blank too. I'm expecting it's part of the system as we've run past the due dates, rather than a rejection. But.... who knows? I haven't been explicitly rejected from Einstein yet, submitted August but not 'complete' until October so I probably have awhile until that axe falls.

Exact same situation here. Does Einstein give silent rejections?

I interviewed at Einstein and my secondary application is also closed.

Just finished my interview here.. Awaiting the tour.. Funny how I decided to log onto SDN during my interview experience.... Anywhos, it's beautiful here! I hope you all get a chance to experience these vibrant personalities... I'm about to take the self tour

Just finished my interview here.. Awaiting the tour.. Funny how I decided to log onto SDN during my interview experience.... Anywhos, it's beautiful here! I hope you all get a chance to experience these vibrant personalities... I'm about to take the self tour
Aren't the admissions ladies wonderful? :)

You can request a second interview? How about if I request that they give me a first interview?

If you feel like you would perform better in a second interview, take it. There is no downside to taking the second interview unless you are feel more confident in your ability to make a positive impression on paper than in person.

If you feel like you would perform better in a second interview, take it. There is no downside to taking the second interview unless you are feel more confident in your ability to make a positive impression on paper than in person.

It's a joke. She's pre-II and implying that if it's so simple to request a second interview then perhaps she could simply request a first interview. The humor is in the juxtaposition of the hypothetical situation I just described and the sad sad reality.

Also got an II this Wednesday. All the dates were basically the same week that I'm at a conference. Grabbed one the day I get back anyways. Still on the fence about actually going, so going to think about it for a week before booking a flight.

Reactions: 1 users
so if someone complete after us has been rejected, and we still haven't heard back - we on some hold maybe? i know there's been ppl complrte after me (end of oct) and i didn't get the "are you interested email.."

i just want to know if there is still hope.
It's not a linear review process. No news is no news.

flight to NYC cancelled due to East Coast blizzard...gg

I submitted in July and was complete in August. I did not hear anything from this school since then. At this point, I don't have my hopes up.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it likely that we'll hear about post-interview decisions this coming week?

Rejected today. Submitted sometime early September I think

edit: submitted 8/31, complete 10/30, sent update 1/7

Last edited:
Axed today as well. Complete mid-July, LizzyM 74, sent an update about two weeks ago. Good luck to everyone who is still in the running!

Rejected as well. Submitted 7/13, was complete 7/17. Best of luck to those still in the running!

Edit: Out of state, 3.75 for both science and cumulative GPA, 513 MCAT.

Last edited:
Rejected today. Submitted sometime early September I think

edit: submitted 8/31, complete 10/30, sent update 1/7

Rejected today

Rejected as well. Submitted 7/13, was complete 7/17. Best of luck to those still in the running!

Sorry to hear this guys..Hopefully it turns out for the better at other schools!
If you don't mind, could you please share what your stats were and if you were IS vs. OOS?

Thanks!

Sorry to hear this guys..Hopefully it turns out for the better at other schools!
If you don't mind, could you please share what your stats were and if you were IS vs. OOS?

Thanks!
OOS, stats in signature

Submitted sept complete email nov. Going to be a long wait if they're still on july-sept :(

Complete 7/13 still nothing. Maybe they forgot about me?

*Checks spam folder*

There's been some mistake. They forgot to reject me.

Reactions: 8 users
for those interviewed, any hotel you recommend? Marriot seems nice and close, but $$$

Rejected just now! Submitted in September. Good luck everyone!

Submitted Early-Mid September but got my complete e-mail a few months later. Not sure when I should be expecting a response back, but sorry to see all these rejections ;(.

Rejected :( pre-II. IS LizzyM ~69 complete mid August. Good luck to everyone still in the running!