2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did not expect it to take an hour and a half, sheesh

Members don't see this ad.

Holy hell, that was brutal. Anybody else not finish a bunch of their responses? Tell me I'm not the only one, sdn.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy hell, that was brutal. Anybody else not finish a bunch of their responses? Tell me I'm not the only one, sdn.

I definitely got cut off mid-word, and mid-thought for a good number of them. There were others though, where I finished a bit before the time

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished every response, but I wouldn't be so concerned about having a few left blank. So long as what you did answer is strong, they'll understand that many are bound to leave a couple blank.

I was able to complete the test on chrome without difficulty for those who are scheduled for a later date.

I used chrome too, and had no problems. I think in their e-mail, they suggested that you use chrome over all the other browsers, though it should have still worked with firefox and IE. The did state that Safari was known to have issues though, and to avoid it for the test.

Also, I emailed them and they replied saying they successfully received my test. If you are concerned about whether or not yours was successfully submitted, email them!

I used google chrome and got to the 10th module before it froze on me and kicked me out, and that was after taking 25 minutes of customer support to get the test to start in the first place......

Felt okay until the very last question which was perhaps one of the most important questions, and had 20 seconds to answer:(

Same, it says my test is still running. I emailed them to make sure everything was recorded.

Directly from customer service:

"Hello (name), so long as you have completed 8 or more sections of the CASPer test, there is enough material to submit a score to the schools of your choice. There was an issue with our servers today but we have worked to fix that. "

So I guess I'm good to go?

Just finished CASPER

Used Chrome and it worked.
Test video worked fine but the first video didn't play. I had to refresh the page to get it to work.
Got as far as 90+% but forget to check to see if it finished at 100%. I'm going to assume that it did. The test is supposed to say it's still running after you've completed it because there are other people still writing the test (I checked with the technical support people).
Got super nervous when my video didn't work, kind of messed up my mood.
Not perfect answers. Had answers cut off by the timer. Whatever, I guess that happens to people.

QUESTION:
I've submitted my secondary a couple of days ago and have now completed casper. Is it normal that my application status still says this:

SECONDARY APPLICATION
This section contains updated information about the status of your Secondary Application.
  • 07/10/2015 - A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application.

LETTERS OF EVALUATION
This section contains updated information confirming the receipt of the letters of evaluation from your Pre-Medical Committee or individual letter writers whom you listed on your Secondary Application. REQUIRED LETTERS must be submitted through the AMCAS Letter Service. OPTIONAL LETTERS may be submitted through AMCAS or Via email ([email protected]). We are unable to send confirmation of the receipt of letters of evaluation which are not listed on your Secondary Application. These letters are considered optional and will not be on the confirmation list below.
  • In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having problems accessing the new york secondary online?

I entered the correct info, and it said I had the wrong user / password. So I requested a new password via email, and it told me it cannot send me a new pass at this time.

Any idea what is going on?

I finally finished after 2 hours. I stopped giving a damn about my answers after the 5th prompt or so. It is what it is.

Mine froze on the second video and then I got redirected to the completion page even though I only got through 1.5 modules. I contacted the support chat and they told me to just refresh the page and then I was able to complete all 12 sections without anymore trouble.

Just finished CASPER

Used Chrome and it worked.
Test video worked fine but the first video didn't play. I had to refresh the page to get it to work.
Got as far as 90+% but forget to check to see if it finished at 100%. I'm going to assume that it did. The test is supposed to say it's still running after you've completed it because there are other people still writing the test (I checked with the technical support people).
Got super nervous when my video didn't work, kind of messed up my mood.
Not perfect answers. Had answers cut off by the timer. Whatever, I guess that happens to people.

QUESTION:
I've submitted my secondary a couple of days ago and have now completed casper. Is it normal that my application status still says this:

SECONDARY APPLICATION
This section contains updated information about the status of your Secondary Application.
  • 07/10/2015 - A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application.

LETTERS OF EVALUATION
This section contains updated information confirming the receipt of the letters of evaluation from your Pre-Medical Committee or individual letter writers whom you listed on your Secondary Application. REQUIRED LETTERS must be submitted through the AMCAS Letter Service. OPTIONAL LETTERS may be submitted through AMCAS or Via email ([email protected]). We are unable to send confirmation of the receipt of letters of evaluation which are not listed on your Secondary Application. These letters are considered optional and will not be on the confirmation list below.
  • In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.
It will say this under secondary:

Your Secondary Application was completed by the Office of Admissions and is currently under review by the Committee for Admissions.

And under my letters it confirms which letters I've sent.

Hope this helps. Just give it a day or two I guess.

Ouch, the secondary says it takes 8-10 weeks for them to make a decision after an interview.

My 2nd video froze on me as well, and I refreshed and got the page where it says "You finished taking the CASPer test!" when I was definitely NOT done taking it. I hit backspace a couple of times and refreshed, and somehow magically got back to the working video and was able to continue my test. I contacted the staff through the little question mark box on the bottom right and they made a note on my test that I had to hit refresh a couple of times and may have lost some time. Just in case this happens to you guys in the future, I would suggest letting someone know so they can make a note on your file.

Good luck everyone!

why the hell did it take me only half an hour to complete this test? did everything till the end and even pressed the submit button.

I used Chrome and my test froze numerous times. I remember reading that it was strongly suggested we avoid refreshing our browser but then the tech person I talked to told me to refresh. I had to do that for 5 of the videos to get them to play but eventually I completed the test. I managed to answer all the questions but was cut off mid sentence on the very last question. Good thing they don't judge on spelling/grammar! When I completed the test it redirected me to my reservations page which indicated that my test was in progress. Since many people in this forum said the same thing happened to them I'm going to assume I'm good...?

"if there was an error from our part while you were submitting your test, then we will ensure to put a note of it to make sure it doesn't count towards your final grade. you won't have to take the test again and the medical school will know you completed the test regardless"

Thank you for not making me retake it Casper

Were the questions easy?
Honestly it just depends if you've ever had a similar situation before because then you can just draw from that experience. The hardest thing is reading a question and not being able to think about a time when you were faced with that circumstance. The questions are very straightforward though :)

I think the hardest part about this test for me is going to be coming up with a related experience in like 30 seconds so I can then have enough time to write about it

I don't know if this is an appropriate question or not, so please feel free not to answer if you feel as though it breaches non-disclosure... but are the CASPer scenarios predominantly medical or are there a wide variety of settings?

I don't know if this is an appropriate question or not, so please feel free not to answer if you feel as though it breaches non-disclosure... but are the CASPer scenarios predominantly medical or are there a wide variety of settings?
It's a wide variety of situations that test your ethics, morals, etc. but all of the hypothetical situations are realistic. They make sure that the scenarios are relatable for everyone, and you don't need any medical background to be able to answer the questions.

Do you write in full sentences?
I think sentences would be preferred since it's easier to follow a person's coherent line of thought when it is structured. Whatever it takes to get your point across though! (I wrote in full sentences but that's just how I write my thoughts in a way that someone else would understand.)

Is anyone else having problems accessing the new york secondary online?

I entered the correct info, and it said I had the wrong user / password. So I requested a new password via email, and it told me it cannot send me a new pass at this time.

Any idea what is going on?

I had the same issue. Have you checked the status of your application? I called and they said that as long as I had paid the secondary was submitted.
I guess you can't access it once it is submitted.

Is anyone having issues logging into Casper?
I tried to log in and they said there is no account registered with my e-mail. I was verified this morning!

Is anyone having issues logging into Casper?
I tried to log in and they said there is no account registered with my e-mail. I was verified this morning!

Ok jk... it finally worked after the 10th attempt. I hope the website doesn't crash while I'm about to take the test!

Ok jk... it finally worked after the 10th attempt. I hope the website doesn't crash while I'm about to take the test!
From what I've heard from people who took the test at 2, I'm not putting much faith in this websiteo_O

Honestly it just depends if you've ever had a similar situation before because then you can just draw from that experience. The hardest thing is reading a question and not being able to think about a time when you were faced with that circumstance. The questions are very straightforward though :)

Thanks so much! :)

From the horror stories I've been reading I'm not at all excited to do this test tonight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
From the horror stories I've been reading I'm not at all excited to do this test tonight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just keep this e-mail handy: [email protected]. They were pretty quick in getting back to me when my server froze up. All they told me to do was refresh my browser though.

Just keep this e-mail handy: [email protected]. They were pretty quick in getting back to me when my server froze up. All they told me to do was refresh my browser though.
Great IT haha. "Yeah I'm not really sure what to tell ya. Maybe try refreshing the page?"

Okay so did anyone else that took the casper test today have trouble taking the pic before the test to verify themselves? it was telling me that the browser could not support a webcam even though I used it two days ago to take a pic of my license. Long story short I had to skip the verification and so know I'm sure admissions is going to think I was lying and someone else took my test...

Okay so did anyone else that took the casper test today have trouble taking the pic before the test to verify themselves? it was telling me that the browser could not support a webcam even though I used it two days ago to take a pic of my license. Long story short I had to skip the verification and so know I'm sure admissions is going to think I was lying and someone else took my test...
Do you have to take that webcam pic far ahead of time? I thought you took it right before the exam.

yeah it is right before the exam so I didn't know what to do I just skipped it so i could take the test. i emailed the IT and she said that they relay to the school when students don't verify before the test.

yeah it is right before the exam so I didn't know what to do I just skipped it so i could take the test. i emailed the IT and she said that they relay to the school when students don't verify before the test.
Did you take the test at 2?

Is anyone getting a bad gateway error?

Reactions: 1 users