2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does that even mean?
According to one of the people above me, it's either an acceptance or waitlist later in February. My email didn't say I was waitlisted and that they are still reviewing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they send rejections at all? Is 2nd tier basically the rejections that they didn't want to send just yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd tier WL :( I'm guessing it's basically a rejection

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
So after browsing last year's Hofstra thread, there wasn't a lot of movement from the wait-list overall due to Hofstra over-accepting. Unless they are carefully accepting applicants this year, I think chances for getting off of the first tier waitlist aren't as high as they seem to be.

Reactions: 3 users
They have the lowest yield out of all the schools according to USNews, so they are probably erring on the side of waitlisting more people this time.

So after browsing last year's Hofstra thread, there wasn't a lot of movement from the wait-list overall due to Hofstra over-accepting. Unless they are carefully accepting applicants this year, I think chances for getting off of the first tier waitlist aren't as high as they seem to be.

I would imagine that they are probably being more careful due to the over enrollment last year. But I guess we shall see.

Hofstra really violated with the WL email on a Friday afternoon

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
1st tier waitlist. Withdrawing. good luck everyone :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone actually been accepted? Seems like all waitlisted and no rejection or acceptances.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
First tier waitlisted today. Interviewed mid October

• Sad
Has anyone actually been accepted? Seems like all waitlisted and no rejection or acceptances.
There also exist people that are less neurotic than we are and don't post on SDN, who probably got some acceptances too

Reactions: 4 users
There also exist people that are less neurotic than we are and don't post on SDN, who probably got some acceptances too

Truuuuuuuu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

early december interview, got the "under review" email yesterday evening

question- a lot of first tier waitlist people withdrawing...is this because people think there will be little movement on waitlist?

question- a lot of first tier waitlist people withdrawing...is this because people think there will be little movement on waitlist?

No, it’s Bc we got into other schools we prefer more. I think first tier WL is just to yield protect honestly despite what people saying about that happening pre interview. If a top applicant stays on first tier waitlist, then they are showing interest in joining and the school dosent gave to waste an A. It’s smart

No, it’s Bc we got into other schools we prefer more. I think first tier WL is just to yield protect honestly despite what people saying about that happening pre interview. If a top applicant stays on first tier waitlist, then they are showing interest in joining and the school dosent gave to waste an A. It’s smart
Can you explain further what you mean, either i'm still sleepy or just not understanding clearly lmao

Can you explain further what you mean, either i'm still sleepy or just not understanding clearly lmao

There are certain applicants who they want but are unsure whether they will come or not if offered a spot. With MMIs many more candidates can be interviewed so although interview spots are valuable to the school, they aren’t as valuable when they can quickly screen people with MMI. If a top applicant interviews but they aren’t sure they will come, they can put them on a first tier waitlist. What this communicates is “you are likely to get in if you stay on the WL”. This way, they can screen for interest from these applicants without giving out A’s. Most likely, their first tier waitlist will dissolve to a large extent but they will keep a couple. The second tier waitlist is more like a real waitlist. Just my thoughts

There are certain applicants who they want but are unsure whether they will come or not if offered a spot. With MMIs many more candidates can be interviewed so although interview spots are valuable to the school, they aren’t as valuable when they can quickly screen people with MMI. If a top applicant interviews but they aren’t sure they will come, they can put them on a first tier waitlist. What this communicates is “you are likely to get in if you stay on the WL”. This way, they can screen for interest from these applicants without giving out A’s. Most likely, their first tier waitlist will dissolve to a large extent but they will keep a couple. The second tier waitlist is more like a real waitlist. Just my thoughts
I agree, given that the school has the lowest yield rate, around 27%. It looks bad. They can increase that number by waitlisting a lot more people.

• Hmm
what does first tier waitlist movement look like , I couldn't really understand the overall movement from previous year sdn posts

If any current students can speak as to their knowledge on first tier waitlist movement, it would be really appreciated!

What does low yield mean? So confused

I think the question should be what does the 2nd tier waitlist movement look like? oh jolly I am so excited to be in this situation.

• Hmm
  • Sad
What does low yield mean? So confused
People will often times reject a hofstra acceptance in favor of another school. Low yield is in reference to the percentage. Higher yield = more desirable.

In this continued review email... has anyone figured out if this happened last year? Do they still hand out A's by the end of feb?

In this continued review email... has anyone figured out if this happened last year? Do they still hand out A's by the end of feb?
They told january interviewees we would all hear "sometime during the month of Feburary"

Just got put on 1st tier WL after being deferred last week :-( I really liked this school, gunna send an update and see where it goes from there

• Sad
Hi hello, much love to everybody still in the process here! Had a quick question, was wondering if anybody knew when waitlist movement typically happens for Hofstra? Sorry if this is a dumb question :)

Do we need to submit fin aid info to hear about merit?
according to the website, yes: "The vast majority of scholarships will be awarded to students based on a combination of need and merit. Each application will be evaluated using an institutional methodology designed to determine level of need. Students will be considered eligible once the FAFSA is complete (including parent information) along with the Non-Custodial Parent Financial Aid Application, if applicable. For additional information regarding the application process, please review the Applying for Aid section of our website "

is it over for me if i haven't heard back about an interview yet?
It says that "Our interview season runs from September through early February and invitations to interview are sent throughout this timeframe" so not sure,

I think it’s probably safe to assume they’re done sending out IIs, they sent invites for late January in early Dec.

2nd Tier Waitlist, Interviewed Mid-December.

• Sad