2020-2021 Albert Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys use the optional essay to say why Einstein?

Members don't see this ad.

MSTP secondary received today

Did you guys use the optional essay to say why Einstein?
partially yeah

can someone post the secondary questions please?

idk what's up with the MD only but i can give you some

here are a few big ones that I pre-wrote for the md/phd. the last three are maybe applicable?

1. Please describe briefly the field(s) in which you plan to pursue your future research. We are looking for the big picture: Aging, Neuroscience, Cell Biology, Immunology, etc., not the specific focus (1000 Characters)
  2. Please list your previous scientific presentations and abstracts. List all authors, abstract titles, name of meeting, and date of meeting. List each meeting on a separate line. Please do not include the text of the abstract.
  3. List any manuscripts you have (paraphrasing, don't have the exact question)
  4. Please indicate which course in college was your favorite and why. (3000 characters)
  5. I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying. If you answered, "yes" to the above question, please explain. If your answer was, "no," please write “NA” in the box below. (3000 characters)
  6. Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write "NA." (3000 characters)

then a bunch of other questions with the usual kinds of screens: did you work in college and why, did you get a D in a course, did you take off a year before or during college, have you had institutional action problems, etc. and they give you 3000 characters to explain for each question.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an MSTP applicant, is anyone else having trouble submitting the app without checking off two areas of prior research? I emailed them on Thursday and obviously I don't expect a response over the weekend, but it's frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm submitting individual LORs, and the secondary sites says to list their names/position + says "Please note that one letter must be from your major and your second letter from a science faculty member."

I'm a bio major, with LORs from a major prof, english prof, and an MD I worked with. Basically, I lack 1 LOR from a science prof. I do have FAP so the secondary fee is waived and I'm about to submit it anyways, but do you all think this means I get 0 chance at Einstein? (lol)

Would it be worth it to list each prof names, and write "professor" next to it, hoping that they at least read the LORs? Bc I was really close to each of them and they were able to write me a strong LOR... This is making me sad haha

is the major prof also a science prof by chance?

also, I would email them and see what they have to say

Anyone waiting on complete email? I submitted 7/20 and have heard nothing
There's a message at the bottom of the like portal page once you've sent it in that says something like 'Congrats! If you've submitted, it can take 8 weeks to hear back from us etc'

I know this gets asked a lot, but last year there was optional "anything else?" essay. The only thing I'd like to mention is that I have a strong support network just 30-40 minutes away from the school (immediate family), which makes this school one of my top choices. However, is this enough of a reason to answer the prompt? Should I say more, is it sufficient to say "I have a strong support network in the area, which significantly factored into my decision to apply here" (or something along those lines)?

I would definitely say that. Also throw in that you love the bronx community and the fact that you have family close by not only helps with support but also helps with you being familiar with the bronx and makes you ready to serve.

Reactions: 1 user
Incoming M1 here, pm me if you have any questions!

"I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying. "

I graduated in April. So is this asking for my gap year plans?

"I have taken at least a year off from school since college graduation, including this year that I am applying. "

I graduated in April. So is this asking for my gap year plans?
Including this year, so yes.

Can someone post the secondary questions? (I understand it's
It's a list of questions ("did you take time off during college? are you planning to attend medical school directly after graduating from your undergrad institution?" etc.), and if you answer the non-traditional/"default" to any of them then you have to explain.

What is in the etc.?! Can someone please post the secondary questions? Here's your chance to be a hero.

Can someone post the secondary questions? (I understand it's

What is in the etc.?! Can someone please post the secondary questions? Here's your chance to be a hero.
They are posted on last year’s thread

I added einstein to my school list on Jul 15. OOS, verified 5/28. Still no secondary.... should I email them?

EDIT: nvm, I called the admissions office, and the lady was like "you gotta be patient" with a slightly condescending tone .......

Last edited:
I added einstein to my school list on Jul 15. OOS, verified 5/28. Still no secondary.... should I email them?

EDIT: nvm, I called the admissions office, and the lady was like "you gotta be patient" with a slightly condescending tone .......
I added on 7/26 and still haven't gotten them. I think they're just taking their time, no need to worry

I wouldn't worry, my application went out on 7/10, and I didn't get a secondary until a little over two weeks later (7/25). I would take the opportunity to breathe for a few minutes and look over the essays you have written for them (if any), I know I definitely did.

secondary finally received and submitted, verified 7/17. Can finally use the springtime of youth not worrying about this thing.

For the secondary question "Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.”" do you guys think a "Why Us?" essay would be appropriate? The only thing that is dissuading me from doing so is the "about yourself" part in the prompt. Thoughts?

For the secondary question "Please use this space to tell us anything about yourself that you would like us to know. If you do not wish to write anything, please write “NA.”" do you guys think a "Why Us?" essay would be appropriate? The only thing that is dissuading me from doing so is the "about yourself" part in the prompt. Thoughts?
Honestly I ask myself that on every 'extra' essay. However, all the SDN adcoms have said to leave it blank unless you have extenuating circumstances so that's been my motto. I'd hate to leave a bad aftertaste by shoving an unsolicited why us/diversity essay so I'm leaving them all blank.

I called the admissions office about an issue with my secondary app and got the same response. Super unhelpful and condescending lol. And they take weeks to respond to emails.

I emailed them a question about LORs that wasn't clearly answered by their website, and they just copy-pasted the text from the LOR page and advised me to speak with my pre-professional/medical advisor. Like, how is my advisor (who doesn't even exist) going to answer questions about your school's LOR requirements? Good thing I hadn't wasted $40 on submitting my primary to them yet, but yeah this office is by far the worst one I've interacted with.

Yeah its really annoying tbh. They said in their email not to call admissions unless it was urgent, which my situation was. And the lady wouldn't even listen to me, she just kept interrupting me and saying to be patient. Definitely the worst office thus far!

Finally got the secondary this morning! OOS - submitted 5/28, verified 7/20

Yeah its really annoying tbh. They said in their email not to call admissions unless it was urgent, which my situation was. And the lady wouldn't even listen to me, she just kept interrupting me and saying to be patient. Definitely the worst office thus far!

Yup, I think they have been told NOT to advise students at all cost or something. I don’t know why, maybe they just want the secondary money. I have had a few other schools do this too.

I got an “supplemental application received” email a few days after submitting, and it says it might take up to 6 weeks to verify that I have sent in all of my letters, so up to 6 weeks for application to be complete. Anyone else get this? Kind of an absurd timeline.

yup got an email with the subject EINSTEIN - APPLICATION COMPLETE and the email said "We are happy to inform you that your application to Albert Einstein College of Medicine is complete, and will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. "
+1

I got an “supplemental application received” email a few days after submitting, and it says it might take up to 6 weeks to verify that I have sent in all of my letters, so up to 6 weeks for application to be complete. Anyone else get this? Kind of an absurd timeline.
I got the same email but then was marked complete 2 days later

I've learned that schools and AMCAS give the "up to X..." just so people won't bug them. You'll probably be complete in less than a week.

How long were your guys' secondary essays for that anything else prompt? Mine is about 3300/4000 characters but I feel like that's kinda long for something that's optional

How long were your guys' secondary essays for that anything else prompt? Mine is about 3300/4000 characters but I feel like that's kinda long for something that's optional
Depends. What’s your topic? I didnt put anything down. I felt unless I had a significant thing to tell them, not to fill an optional prompt with “why us” or anything. That’s the advice from adcoms here

Just got the complete e-mail. Submitted Friday.