2020-2021 Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine (DMU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was ranked in the first quartile on the wait list, not high priority. I had intended to write a LOI with an update, but is it too late/would it even matter at this point?
I had the same question. But someone also said they are supposed to pull from the WL in the next coming weeks idk if it will be helpful past the deadline they gave us?

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question. But someone also said they are supposed to pull from the WL in the next coming weeks idk if it will be helpful past the deadline they gave us?
Was there a deadline to provide updates? Maybe this is the wrong way to think about it, but I’d think a LOI might be helpful if you’re placed in high priority, because they’ll be looking at your application folder again?

I sent them a letter of interest two days ago and they accepted it with confirmation via email.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely send it and why other updates. They will continue to look at them as they pull from the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Just an update: movement is happening on the waitlist! Got my A today! Never really thought I'd hear it but oh, boy am I so excited!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Received an email notifying me that I was placed on the wait list. The email sounded very unpromising to me, "...we may make additional offers of admission at the close of the application year." 😬

Just an update: movement is happening on the waitlist! Got my A today! Never really thought I'd hear it but oh, boy am I so excited!!
What quartile were you and were you HP? Congratulations!

I was accepted yesterday too, I was ranked in the first quartile but I was not high priority. I'm so excited and it still feels very surreal! :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you from that area? Also did you write a letter of intent?
Not originally from the Des Moines area, but I am from Iowa - I moved here for graduate school so have been living here for a couple years now. I submitted a letter of intent prior to being waitlisted.

• Love
Not originally from the Des Moines area, but I am from Iowa - I moved here for graduate school so have been living here for a couple years now. I submitted a letter of intent prior to being waitlisted.
Thanks for letting me know and Congratulations! One last question, what time were you notified? I am HP 1 from NJ so am hoping from a A soon

I'll be giving up my A here sometime within the next week! Hope it quickly goes to one of you on the WL! Goodluck everyone!!

Hey y'all, I'm in the DO-24 program right now and I just wanted to just say I was accepted first quartile non-HP last year. They colloquially do a good job of getting through the first quartile at least. There's also still a ton of time for movement to occur. People were accepted all the way up until a few weeks before school started right at the end of July. Submit a meaningful LOI, and try your best to take it easy. Good luck :)

Reactions: 4 users
First quartile.. not HP! Hoping to get pulled. 😩

Hey y'all, I'm in the DO-24 program right now and I just wanted to just say I was accepted first quartile non-HP last year. They colloquially do a good job of getting through the first quartile at least. There's also still a ton of time for movement to occur. People were accepted all the way up until a few weeks before school started right at the end of July. Submit a meaningful LOI, and try your best to take it easy. Good luck :)
I am in the first quartile, not HP.. would it be too late to send a LOI?

After receiving an email that the background check and drug test are complete, do we need to do anything to have that sent to DMU? It was completed last week for me but still shows as not complete on my outstanding requirements

After receiving an email that the background check and drug test are complete, do we need to do anything to have that sent to DMU? It was completed last week for me but still shows as not complete on my outstanding requirements
Mine updated today to "met". Took roughly three weeks

I was accepted of of the waitlist today as a 1st Quartile HP candidate. I received a call from Anna Cruz while at the gym about an hour before the official email. Look out for a 515 area code if you are waiting

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted of of the waitlist today as a 1st Quartile HP candidate. I received a call from Anna Cruz while at the gym about an hour before the official email. Look out for a 515 area code if you are waiting
Congratulations, can I ask, are you from Iowa or the Midwest?

Got an acceptance call today as well from the WL!

I am in the first quartile, not HP.. would it be too late to send a LOI?
It is never too late to send an LOI or other updates! I set an LOI in April last year and continued to send updates in May and in July when I was accepted. It shows the admissions committee you're interested, and would be more likely to accept an admissions offer.

515-271-**** that's the call!

I’m non-HP 1st quartile, would anyone know from past years if they also pull OOS students off the WL? I’m from MA so I’m worried my chances are so low...

I’m non-HP 1st quartile, would anyone know from past years if they also pull OOS students off the WL? I’m from MA so I’m worried my chances are so low...
I’m from Wisconsin. I’m worried too

I would send a letter of intent. They are looking for students who are likely to go here. Make it evident that you are excited to be in Iowa. They do tend to lean towards people who live in aiwa as it gets closer to orientation but right now... You guys have just as much of a shot as anyone! Hope to see you here!

I really don't think they look too much at location and how close you are unless it's very close to start date, like within a month or earlier. I have two friends who were accepted about 5 weeks or so before school started last year and they were out of state. I also know someone who lived on the other side of the country (but strong ties here) and got in the week before classes . So yes, they pull more based on motivation to school, but it's not always location/Iowa based, etc...

Got the A, 1st quartile and HP. Hope one of it goes to you. Accepted a different offer. Good luck, everyone!

Withdrew my A recently, I'm so glad to see it went to one of you who just got pulled from the WL. Good luck everyone!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my A! Good luck y'all!

Although I'm OOS (Southeast), I really wanted to attend DMU for their curriculum. After working on my Master's, I know what works and doesn't work for me. Just seems like a great school and atmosphere...

But I am 2nd tier waitlisted :/. Should I withdraw my application?

I almost sent a LOI too... but what's the point now?

Although I'm OOS (Southeast), I really wanted to attend DMU for their curriculum. After working on my Master's, I know what works and doesn't work for me. Just seems like a great school and atmosphere...

But I am 2nd tier waitlisted :/. Should I withdraw my application?

I almost sent a LOI too... but what's the point now?
You should absolutely send a letter of intent. They want to know the people they let in on the waitlist really want to be here. Don't be discouraged about the second tier. This year is different but in past years they have five deep into the second and even into the third tier. Don't lose hope. Withdrawing your app takes your chances to 0. Rights now there's still a good chance you get your A! I know the waiting game sucks, keep your head up!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
for anyone that already did the drug screen, did they call you to tell you your results or you never got notified? thank you!

So I got a second email stating my app was on hold after my secondary. Are they still interviewing? It seems weird to be on hold this late in the cycle

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

for anyone that already did the drug screen, did they call you to tell you your results or you never got notified? thank you!
The company that completed your drug screen will email you with results. DMU will update your application weeks later.

So I got a second email stating my app was on hold after my secondary. Are they still interviewing? It seems weird to be on hold this late in the cycle
Last group sessions (info session after you submit your interview) was late March. Maybe this is like the 2016-2017 year they want to keep people in case they need to interview again in July.

I just got a text message from Anna with an acceptance; she said an email is coming later today - did anyone else get this?!

Reactions: 4 users