2020-2021 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oof... that's painful. What day was your deposit due? Congrats on your A!
Thank you! The 26th, WSU said they will do the acceptance round for my interview group the first or second week of March. I love Pnwu and the culture feels so much better than WSU, but WSU is like 100k cheaper in the end lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! The 26th, WSU said they will do the acceptance round for my interview group the first or second week of March. I love Pnwu and the culture feels so much better than WSU, but WSU is like 100k cheaper in the end lol I totally get what you mean... you have to do what feels right to you.
Yeah! I totally get that... definitely going to be a tough choice. I've heard awesome things about WSU too... school is what you make of it! Crossing my fingers for you!! 😊

Yeah! I totally get that... definitely going to be a tough choice. I've heard awesome things about WSU too... school is what you make of it! Crossing my fingers for you!! 😊
This is very true! Either way, I’m just so excited for what this next chapter in mine and my husband’s life brings.

Thank you and I wish all the best to you too!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted.... Interviewed 2.10.21. Anyone know of the chances of getting off this haha?

Waitlisted as well :confused: I’ve been waitlisted at three schools now what the heck:cryi:

Waitlisted. Tbh I think they had very few spots!! Going to withdraw since i have acceptances elsewhere and the interview here was really strange. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm currently waitlisted, but I don't want to sit around and hope while I could be improving my application. Is anyone else considering the Masters program at PNWU if they don't get in?

In case anyone is interested, I emailed for extra info about the waitlist and they told me there won’t be any movement at all until that May waitlist ranking :cryi:

• Care
In case anyone is interested, I emailed for extra info about the waitlist and they told me there won’t be any movement at all until that May waitlist ranking :cryi:
Thanks for emailing. I got wait listed too. Hoping we'll still get accepted 🤞🤞

Hi everyone, I’ll be a student at the school in the Fall. I’m wondering if there are any third or fourth year students lurking around here. I would like to ask some questions :)

Hi! I have been accepted into their MAMS program and can’t really find any info on it from other students, would anyone be able to give me some insight or guidance?

Hey guys! Sorry if this has already been addressed but is the interview a mix of MMI and traditional? I'm curious how the MMI plays out in a virtual setting... 🥴

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have been accepted into their MAMS program and can’t really find any info on it from other students, would anyone be able to give me some insight or guidance?
I am not sure what is going on there but know that Heritage University has been phasing out some of their programs, and there is talk among students that PNWU is taking over some of those programs to continue to allow those opportunities in the area. I took a look at the information on the PNWU site - If you look up Heritage University MAMS program, it's the same program curriculum and integration into PNWU courses. It's been around since 2012. I'd think those student's experiences will be fairly similar to what you can expect.

So I'm currently waitlisted, but I don't want to sit around and hope while I could be improving my application. Is anyone else considering the Masters program at PNWU if they don't get in?
I just got accepted into it and am debating if I should accept as well

There will be some waitlist movement sooner than May. When applicants that have accepted at PNWU choose other schools, that will open up spaces at PNWU. Last year there were over 40 acceptances off the waitlist, eventually. PNWU uses rolling admissions, so highly qualified applicants may be put on the waitlist later in the cycle, only to come off that waitlist as spaces open up.

Reactions: 4 users
I am not sure what is going on there but know that Heritage University has been phasing out some of their programs, and there is talk among students that PNWU is taking over some of those programs to continue to allow those opportunities in the area. I took a look at the information on the PNWU site - If you look up Heritage University MAMS program, it's the same program curriculum and integration into PNWU courses. It's been around since 2012. I'd think those student's experiences will be fairly similar to what you can expect.
Hi, current student. I did not do MAMS, and came in as an OMSI but here’s what I have heard. PNWU is distancing itself from Heritage University as PNWU is growing a lot and wants more (ex. They opened a new physical therapy school, they want a dental school in the next few years etc.)

As of the incoming year, MAMS will be through PNWU without heritage university. You will take a few classes with us med students and a few with the pharmacy students. If you get >80% in those classes (very achievable if you put in the effort) you can be exempt from having to take them if you attend PNWU for med school. I think there’s like 12 units or so that overlap.

There will be some waitlist movement sooner than May. When applicants that have accepted at PNWU choose other schools, that will open up spaces at PNWU. Last year there were over 40 acceptances off the waitlist, eventually. PNWU uses rolling admissions, so highly qualified applicants may be put on the waitlist later in the cycle, only to come off that waitlist as spaces open up.
As a person on the waitlist, I hope that means that earlier folks can get off into the class.

Hi, current student. I did not do MAMS, and came in as an OMSI but here’s what I have heard. PNWU is distancing itself from Heritage University as PNWU is growing a lot and wants more (ex. They opened a new physical therapy school, they want a dental school in the next few years etc.)

As of the incoming year, MAMS will be through PNWU without heritage university. You will take a few classes with us med students and a few with the pharmacy students. If you get >80% in those classes (very achievable if you put in the effort) you can be exempt from having to take them if you attend PNWU for med school. I think there’s like 12 units or so that overlap.
Thanks so much for this info! With the changing of schools, it’s been so hard to pinpoint any type of curriculum description and even harder to gauge what to expect

Thanks so much for this info! With the changing of schools, it’s been so hard to pinpoint any type of curriculum description and even harder to gauge what to expect
Hi everyone I am a current MAMS student and also will be attending PNWU next year. I can answer any questions, if anyone has any, about the MAMS program!

Hi everyone I am a current MAMS student and also will be attending PNWU next year. I can answer any questions, if anyone has any, about the MAMS program!
Hi! I have a couple questions so please bare with me. I was wondering if you knew the stats of students who are admitted to PNWU from the MAMS program.
- Is there a guaranteed interview or acceptance if you meet certain criteria?
- is there a dress code?
- is attendance mandatory?
- what are some living options near there?
- how has your experience been? Would you recommend this program to future students?

Hi! I have a couple questions so please bare with me. I was wondering if you knew the stats of students who are admitted to PNWU from the MAMS program.
- Is there a guaranteed interview or acceptance if you meet certain criteria?
- is there a dress code?
- is attendance mandatory?
- what are some living options near there?
- how has your experience been? Would you recommend this program to future students?

Hey, no worries because I had alot of questions too. Keep in mind that our program year was very different and 100% online due to the pandemic. I can give insight from what I have learned from other years.
1. There is a guaranteed interview if you score 80% or higher on the Scientific Foundations of Medicine course we take with the OMS1 class. This class is HARD, so if you can get the score, you should be getting an interview.
2. Dress code is formal but since it was online, we got away with pajama bottoms. You wanna make a good impression on the professors since they will be looking out for the MAMS student.
3. Attendance isn't always mandatory and differs with class. Again, you wanna make a good impression, so do with that as you please.
4. UP apartments but again we were online so we got to take the program from home.
5. I enjoyed my time with the MAMS program and would recommend it to anyone who does not have the best application for medical schools. Make sure your MCAT is done before you enter the program since it will save alot of time and stress during the application process.

Anyone else interview on 2/25? I know we probably won’t hear back tomorrow, but I’m still hoping.

Ah damn, waitlisted on the portal. Interview on 2/25. This is my top choice so that stings. Hoping for some movement soon.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I'm hoping we will see lots of movement in May when they rank the waitlist.
Their WL email made it seem like there would potentially be some movement before the ranking. Gonna remain optimistic that we may have an answer without waiting two more months 😂 might be foolish, but who knows lol

Their WL email made it seem like there would potentially be some movement before the ranking. Gonna remain optimistic that we may have an answer without waiting two more months 😂 might be foolish, but who knows lol
I mean... that would be amazing! lol. There is so much information floating around it's hard to pin down what is applicable or pertinent to this cycle. This is also my #1 so I totally know the feeling! I only briefly read the email and thought they were clear about May movement... but shoot, I hope I'm wrong! 😂

Hey, no worries because I had alot of questions too. Keep in mind that our program year was very different and 100% online due to the pandemic. I can give insight from what I have learned from other years.
1. There is a guaranteed interview if you score 80% or higher on the Scientific Foundations of Medicine course we take with the OMS1 class. This class is HARD, so if you can get the score, you should be getting an interview.
2. Dress code is formal but since it was online, we got away with pajama bottoms. You wanna make a good impression on the professors since they will be looking out for the MAMS student.
3. Attendance isn't always mandatory and differs with class. Again, you wanna make a good impression, so do with that as you please.
4. UP apartments but again we were online so we got to take the program from home.
5. I enjoyed my time with the MAMS program and would recommend it to anyone who does not have the best application for medical schools. Make sure your MCAT is done before you enter the program since it will save alot of time and stress during the application process.
Thanks so much for the insight! I like the school but wasn't sure about the location. Appreciate the reply

WL as well- interviewed on 2/25. I know it's optional, but should those who are on the WL contact admissions for feedback regarding the decision or how to strength our application? Thanks!

WL as well- interviewed on 2/25. I know it's optional, but should those who are on the WL contact admissions for feedback regarding the decision or how to strength our application? Thanks!
I did when I applied. It gave me a direction for a plan and allowed me to update my application very close to ranking. Ended up being accepted in May that year. It's always worth it in my opinion, because it gives you a better idea of what they're looking for as well!

• Care
Just got off the phone with Pacific Northwest.

A few things:

-Interviews end mid April.

-Massive waitlist shifts will happen starting May with the Top 30 and the unranked.

-Ranking is determined by all factors - flat numbers, ECs and dedication to the mission of the school.

-Adcoms isn't sure about the chances of admission from WL because higher influx of applicants + more interview spots (1000 student increase)

-If selected near the opening of the school (adcoms doubt that this year will be like that due to higher amount of students), school will work with students to make sure they get acclimated without missing material.

Bottom line: A lot of uncertainty, especially if one is unranked.

I’m so confused, I was rejected here and they recommended me for the MAMS. Then they just sent me a email pretty much rejecting me from the MAMS. I don’t get what they are looking for?

I have a 3.2/510? If I had a higher gpa I wouldn’t be considering the masters. I’m so confused.

• Care

A few things:

-Massive waitlist shifts will happen starting May with the Top 30 and the unranked.

-Ranking is determined by all factors - flat numbers, ECs and dedication to the mission of the school.

-Adcoms isn't sure about the chances of admission from WL because higher influx of applicants + more interview spots (1000 student increase)

-If selected near the opening of the school (adcoms doubt that this year will be like that due to higher amount of students), school will work with students to make sure they get acclimated without missing material.

WOW! I knew med schools saw an odd increase in applicants but I never would have thought an extra 1,000 additional applications. If that’s 1,000 more from last year, than that means around 5,500 people applied for like 160 spots. That’s just insane!

WOW! I knew med schools saw an odd increase in applicants but I never would have thought an extra 1,000 additional applications. If that’s 1,000 more from last year, than that means around 5,500 people applied for like 160 spots. That’s just insane!
Yeah. It is probably because of online interviews.

I’m so confused, I was rejected here and they recommended me for the MAMS. Then they just sent me a email pretty much rejecting me from the MAMS. I don’t get what they are looking for?

I have a 3.2/510? If I had a higher gpa I wouldn’t be considering the masters. I’m so confused.
I would call Ashley, the admissions counselor, she's super helpful and will give you advice tailored to your situation. I'm sorry though, that sucks... especially with such a good MCAT score.

Yeah. It is probably because of online interviews.
Ahhh that would make sense. I’d be curious to know if it’s because people applied to more schools or if removing the burden of having to travel, allowed more students to apply.

Ahhh that would make sense. I’d be curious to know if it’s because people applied to more schools or if removing the burden of having to travel, allowed more students to apply.

It’s absolutely this. My boyfriend is in residency. His program interviewed more people than usual because they could save the costs of hosting people, etc. and more people applied to more programs because the cost to apply was less the cost of travel. So you can apply to 15 programs instead of just 5.

Plus people had time to work on their apps with many people out of work. They found this as a good time to try their new career. Plus all the people inspired by the pandemic to be on the front lines for the future.

It’s absolutely this. My boyfriend is in residency. His program interviewed more people than usual because they could save the costs of hosting people, etc. and more people applied to more programs because the cost to apply was less the cost of travel. So you can apply to 15 programs instead of just 5.

Plus people had time to work on their apps with many people out of work. They found this as a good time to try their new career. Plus all the people inspired by the pandemic to be on the front lines for the future.
Very good point. I was actually excited about going on campus tours and getting to actually meet people, the online interviews were so much cheaper and easier though. I didn’t have to drive, tailor my suit, hotels food etc. it’s hundreds of dollars each interview. So I’ll be interested to see how they carry on from here on out, because it seems it made the process a little more equitable then. I’m sure it will all eventually end up back in person.

I’m probably the odd one out then this cycle too then, I only applied to four schools! Haha

To be fair about the medical school journey, it is not exactly a path that is done quickly and spontaneously - it still required years of preparation overall.

I would have loved to have done the interview in person!

I am just hoping that the people who have already been accepted to other schools and possibly hoarding offers, accept those offers so the people like me (my only school, and I am WL) have a fighting chance to get into medical school :)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

I am just hoping that the people who have already been accepted to other schools and possibly hoarding offers, accept those offers so the people like me (my only school, and I am WL) have a fighting chance to get into medical school :)

Same ❤️

Same ❤️
Same boat *virtual hug* The only school that gave me a chance this cycle. Praying it will all work out in the end for all of us!

Samsies. They said some years they pull more from the waitlist (40 +), other years they only accept some from the top of the waitlist. Hoping this year is a year they pull a lot from the waitlist 🤞 Also, I was told they won't tell us exactly where on the top 30 list you are, just that you are in the top 30. For some reason I got the impression from the email that they would tell us what number we were on the top 30? So that you could at least get a feel of the likelihood of getting in this year vs having to apply again? Haha idk the uncertainty of it all is killing me 🥲

A few things:

Samsies. They said some years they pull more from the waitlist (40 +), other years they only accept some from the top of the waitlist. Hoping this year is a year they pull a lot from the waitlist 🤞 Also, I was told they won't tell us exactly where on the top 30 list you are, just that you are in the top 30. For some reason I got the impression from the email that they would tell us what number we were on the top 30? So that you could at least get a feel of the likelihood of getting in this year vs having to apply again? Haha idk the uncertainty of it all is killing me 🥲

I really hope I don't have to apply again. This process is crapshoot.

I too am hoping for a lot of pull from the wait-list...because interviews were a lot more prevalent this year, which means more applicants overall. That being said, these folks can only select one school at the end, so that will hopefully thin the herd.

I don't know...

I did when I applied. It gave me a direction for a plan and allowed me to update my application very close to ranking. Ended up being accepted in May that year. It's always worth it in my opinion, because it gives you a better idea of what they're looking for as well!
Hiya! :) I interview on the 18th and they already sent an email saying the class if full and everyone who makes it will automatically go into the WL, so saying that I do make it on the WL, I was wondering how you asked admissions about your application and feedback?

Hiya! :) I interview on the 18th and they already sent an email saying the class if full and everyone who makes it will automatically go into the WL, so saying that I do make it on the WL, I was wondering how you asked admissions about your application and feedback?
All spots are filled now?! Oh boy...

-currently on wait-list

Same... I think they've been full since I interviewed on 2/10. :X3:
I was in Jan, I recall.

Man...I’m pretty much wait-listed at all of my schools. My record isn’t ultra potent, so I’m worried about my chances -_-.

• Care