2021-2022 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep!
Complete 7/12/21, OOS URM, 3.52 cGPA and 512 MCAT
Congrats! Did you get an email from Howard prior to this saying that your app/secondary was reviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Black (Afro-Caribbean), Mexican
state of residence: IN, strong ties to AZ as well
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 507
two Honors Bachelors degrees (Health and Human Biology, Latin American and Caribbean Studies)
Ivy undergrad
NCAA Division I Athlete (1x Ivy League Champion, 2x Senior Captain)
Non-traditional
current graduate student @ U of Pennsylvania, Bioethics Masters Degree
1000+ research hours
400 clinical hours
400 volunteer hours (mainly sports and academic related)

Posting so I get notifications.
Just hit the “watch” button at the top of the thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys just got this email from Howard.

“The College of Medicine at Howard University appreciates your interest in our program and are ready to pre-review your complete and verified file for admission consideration. However, to be fully considered by the admissions committee at Howard University College of Medicine, all transcripts, letters of recommendations, and results from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), must be submitted to AMCAS; along with your Secondary Application.”

My AMCAS was verified today and some schools have sent secondaries along with having received my letters and MCAT score and Casper. Does this mean that Howard has to go through my primary before they send a secondary?

Hey guys just got this email from Howard.

“The College of Medicine at Howard University appreciates your interest in our program and are ready to pre-review your complete and verified file for admission consideration. However, to be fully considered by the admissions committee at Howard University College of Medicine, all transcripts, letters of recommendations, and results from the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), must be submitted to AMCAS; along with your Secondary Application.”

My AMCAS was verified today and some schools have sent secondaries along with having received my letters and MCAT score and Casper. Does this mean that Howard has to go through my primary before they send a secondary?
Nevermind guys I just got the secondary email just moments ago :)

They might just send it to everyone. I also got it and I took all my prereqs years ago. Maybe it's a way of telling us that they reviewed our app.

I love how they are trying to update us on the process. Usually schools just ghost people
Ya I just got this email today. All my pre-reqs are complete. So I guess they’re just notifying us of where they are in our app. I thought it was an II for a second 😔

Did everyone who got an II, get an application reviewed email before the interview was scheduled?

I just received the "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed" email. Does this mean you'll likely get an interview?

I just received the "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed" email. Does this mean you'll likely get an interview?
I got this too just recently. I had a friend who received it very early on in the cycle around end of july time or so and they haven't received an interview yet - i don't think it indicates an interview but rather just letting you know they looked over your primary and secondary

Reactions: 2 users
I got this too just recently. I had a friend who received it very early on in the cycle around end of july time or so and they haven't received an interview yet - i don't think it indicates an interview but rather just letting you know they looked over your primary and secondary
Ok thank you! That makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
+2, really thought I was getting an II because the "AMCAS Application Reviewed" part was somewhere over the rainbow in the subject line at first

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how Casper is used in admissions decisions? Is it heavily weighted?

Hey everyone! Does anyone know how Casper is used in admissions decisions? Is it heavily weighted?
probably not terribly much, med schools have generally only been using it since the 2019-2020 cycle so I'm pretty sure they won't really be able to evaluate how effective of a tool it is until that class graduates and they can compare how well they did with their CASPer score. It's probably going to be like that for all med schools that take CASPer.

probably not terribly much, med schools have generally only been using it since the 2019-2020 cycle so I'm pretty sure they won't really be able to evaluate how effective of a tool it is until that class graduates and they can compare how well they did with their CASPer score. It's probably going to be like that for all med schools that take CASPer.
Yeah they said at last month's First Friday that they are still using CASPer scores for data collection purposes this cycle

Yeah they said at last month's First Friday that they are still using CASPer scores for data collection purposes this cycle
thanks for the responses! appreciate the insight!

“We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration for the M.D. degree program at Howard University's College of Medicine….” Anyone else receive a similar email and knows what this may mean?

“We have received and reviewed your AMCAS Primary and Secondary Applications for admission consideration for the M.D. degree program at Howard University's College of Medicine….” Anyone else receive a similar email and knows what this may mean?
I got it! It means exactly as it says. They’ve reviewed your application already. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get an interview invite. I got my email August 18th or 19t and haven’t heard anything since.

also does anyone know how long First Friday is?

Did anyone get a link for the September first friday? Will there be one tomorrow?

I got it! It means exactly as it says. They’ve reviewed your application already. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get an interview invite. I got my email August 18th or 19t and haven’t heard anything since.

also does anyone know how long First Friday is?
Do you know if they started sending R’s?

Did anyone get a link for the September first friday? Will there be one tomorrow?
I did!

The subject line is "Howard University College of Medicine-September 3rd First Friday Open House Zoom Invite".

Not going to lie, all I read was "Howard" and "Invite" and I was so excited so for 0.05 seconds until my brain registered the full subject line. :p

• Haha
I did!

The subject line is "Howard University College of Medicine-September 3rd First Friday Open House Zoom Invite".

Not going to lie, all I read was "Howard" and "Invite" and I was so excited so for 0.05 seconds until my brain registered the full subject line. :p
Thanks! I definitely didnt get that one, though I received the August one but couldnt go

For people who went to first Friday, did they talk about where they are in the cycle? How many II they sent out?

For people who went to first Friday, did they talk about where they are in the cycle? How many II they sent out?
I left a little early but I don’t recall them saying anything about it. They’re still reviewing applications and said that interview season lasts until April I believe. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong lol

I went to the August one and they said the adcom is relatively small and works slowly with IIs and decisions going late into the spring. I'm prepared to sit tight on any sort of response from them.

Reactions: 1 users
I find it incredible that Howard, a school that focuses on educating disadvantaged students, does not accept AMCAS fee waivers.

Reactions: 14 users
OOS II received today
LM 77.5 URM
Complete 08/01

Edit: 2nd quartile Ca$per

Edit 2: To provide context, I got the "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed" email on 8/26. So about a two week turnaround time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
did you guys just got the II, like at night time or this morning?

Can some explain the quartile thing for Casper? So the higher the quartile the better you did?

Can some explain the quartile thing for Casper? So the higher the quartile the better you did?
yup! 90th percentile MCAT is better than 50th, and 4th quartile CASPer is better than 2nd

II received 9/10, complete 9/1. international student

any current students around i could PM?

Reactions: 3 users
I got the completion email from Howard on 8/4 and the email stating that my Primary and Secondary apps had been reviewed on 8/30. Nothing since then.

To people who got their II, how long did it take you to hear back about it after getting the email with the subject line: "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed"

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, just wanted to ask yall about my chances at howard medical college. My GPA is pretty good with a 3.98 but I am kinda worried bout my 500 mcat. However, I have a long commitment to serving underserved communities and communit service.
You will be fine at other places that don't have a 500 mcat cut off too.

I got the completion email from Howard on 8/4 and the email stating that my Primary and Secondary apps had been reviewed on 8/30. Nothing since then.

To people who got their II, how long did it take you to hear back about it after getting the email with the subject line: "FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed"
It took 15 days for me.