2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man, I volunteer and work in underserved communities. Still nothing. You can meet their mission statement, have the stats, and whatever else. There is obviously a matter of other factors as well. And apparently, I don’t meet them
I feel like you can have all of that but it is still a luck of the draw, just gotta hope they end up picking you lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received my first interview invite of the cycle! 😭 These are the dates that are still available:

INTERVIEW DATES AVAILABLE:

Interview date (#1) 03/30/21 (1 more slot)
Interview date (#2) 04/06/21 (10 more slots)
Interview date (#3) 04/07/21 (10 more slots)

SO THERE IS STILL HOPE GUYS.

My stats are a 512 MCAT, and above 3.0 GPA (undergrad was 3.5 cumulative, grad was 3.0). Secondary was submitted 11 August, CASPer results were out 23 September, and I received the "Application Reviewed" email 18 February.
Congratulations!! Best of luck to you 😊

Just received my first interview invite of the cycle! 😭 These are the dates that are still available:

INTERVIEW DATES AVAILABLE:

Interview date (#1) 03/30/21 (1 more slot)
Interview date (#2) 04/06/21 (10 more slots)
Interview date (#3) 04/07/21 (10 more slots)

SO THERE IS STILL HOPE GUYS.

My stats are a 512 MCAT, and above 3.0 GPA (undergrad was 3.5 cumulative, grad was 3.0). Secondary was submitted 11 August, CASPer results were out 23 September, and I received the "Application Reviewed" email 18 February.
Thats amazing. Congrats! I really hope they consider me as well, still waiting from Howard, which is a dream school and my only school left. :(

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who receive II and A!! Any international applicant got II or A?

Howard’s 2025 class size is increasing on Facebook, so probably some acceptances either yesterday or today 😢😩

Just wanted to pop in and ease a little bit of yall's worries. I have a friend at HUCM who received an II in April! When she interviewed, HUCM told her that all of their spots were full and that the interviewees would be put on the waitlist. She said that almost all of the people she interviewed with are currently in her class (HUCM 2023). So don't give up hope! I'm still waiting to see if I will get an II and her story gives me hope that there are still interviews to be given out. Remember, it is not a rejection until you get that rejection email!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
Just wanted to pop in and ease a little bit of yall's worries. I have a friend at HUCM who received an II in April! When she interviewed, HUCM told her that all of their spots were full and that the interviewees would be put on the waitlist. She said that almost all of the people she interviewed with are currently in her class (HUCM 2023). So don't give up hope! I'm still waiting to see if I will get an II and her story gives me hope that there are still interviews to be given out. Remember, it is not a rejection until you get that rejection email!
Thank you for the hope! It is much needed :)

my heart skipped a beat lol thank you sm!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I gave up. Just getting my things together for next application cycle.

• Care
Did you apply to DO schools?
Yup. I’ve maxed out on my options I have a masters with a high GPA >3.7 in both undergraduate and graduate. Also a lot of extracurriculars. Just a sub 500 MCAT. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2 users
Yup. I’ve maxed out on my options I have a masters with a high GPA >3.7 in both undergraduate and graduate. Also a lot of extracurriculars. Just a sub 500 MCAT. 🤷‍♀️
How many times have you taken the MCAT ?

Hey there, sorry this cycle is not going well for you. However, I strongly recommend you take the MCAT again and apply next cycle instead of going to a Caribbean school.

Yea its the MCAT for me. Hate that exam so much

Yea its the MCAT for me. Hate that exam so much
Exactly I’ve taken it 3x and tried many studying tactics even taken a course but as an URM I understand I need more time as growing up in underserved community didn’t give me the resources to be good at standardized exams. A three month prep course or masters degree won’t undo the years of damage. I didn’t have a hot SAT but I still did great in undergrad and graduate school so I don’t need multiple school rejecting me because of the MCAT. I know I’m more than capable in excelling as a physician. I’m no wasting more years trying to retake the mcat. That’s time I can use in preparing for the step exams.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey there, sorry this cycle is not going well for you. However, I strongly recommend you take the MCAT again and apply next cycle instead of going to a Caribbean school.
Won’t be wasting anymore time. I’ve already been accepted to Caribbean schools and will be starting in May. Obviously still hoping for US schools but I’m moving on :)

I feel you on this one. Did terrible in undergraduate so I completed an SMP with 3.78 took the MCAT a few time with 501 highest, got no love from medical school either. I decided to look into Podiatry which is a pretty rewarding career. I did look at Caribbean too but the risk is too much.

Won’t be wasting anymore time. I’ve already been accepted to Caribbean schools and will be starting in May. Obviously still hoping for US schools but I’m moving on :)
I wish you the best man/lady/non gender .Remeber kill those step scores.You will be a great physician.MCAT do not define our ability to become great physicians.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I feel you on this one. Did terrible in undergraduate so I completed an SMP with 3.78 took the MCAT a few time with 501 highest, got no love from medical school either. I decided to look into Podiatry which is a pretty rewarding career. I did look at Caribbean too but the risk is too much.
That’s amazing.what made you make the decision to do pod over MD other than the numerical numbers

That’s amazing.what made you make the decision to do pod over MD other than the numerical numbers

I'll be frank, I did not choose Pod over MD/DO it was my backup plan if given an acceptance at MD/DO I would definitely choose that over pod. I didn't want to attend the Caribbean because of the risk of attrition and the gamble on residency. With step score being pass/fail there are too much uncertainty for me to take that gamble especially when I have a young family too.

Reactions: 4 users
I'll be frank, I did not choose Pod over MD/DO it was my backup plan if given an acceptance at MD/DO I would definitely choose that over pod. I didn't want to attend the Caribbean because of the risk of attrition and the gamble on residency. With step score being pass/fail there are too much uncertainty for me to take that gamble especially when I have a young family too.
@Bluespikes819, the main reason I question to to Caribbean school is because of residency matching. Not all student in US is guarantee a spot, then add caribbean on top of that.

I understand the MCAT is difficult (I am URM, took exam x2 after scoring sub-500 the first time). However, there is nothing worse than graduating med school with 300K+ in loan and you are unable to match. The risk just like aduubacsi said is too high.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your journey. The mcat certainly does not predict who will be a good doc. There are unfortunately many pre-med who would make good doctor, but don't even get an II.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m going carribean. I’m done deferring my dream of being a physician
You really need to do research and not make an impulsive decision. That is a very disadvantaged route to go down. Especially with the lack of residency spots, international MDs will be last on the list and screened out. Please weigh all of your options. But if that’s your choice, don’t go to St George, they are losing their accreditation. Therefore their reputation is dying and if they don’t regain the accreditation by 2024, then you can’t take step or apply for residency, meaning you can’t graduate. Even more years wasted and in debt. I took 3 gap years and I was just accepted to two DO schools. This is when your resilience needs to kick in. Also speak to a lot of professional MDs and deans of admissions about Caribbean schools, like I did

Reactions: 7 users
You really need to do research and not make an impulsive decision. That is a very disadvantaged route to go down. Especially with the lack of residency spots, international MDs will be last on the list and screened out. Please weigh all of your options. But if that’s your choice, don’t go to St George, they are losing their accreditation. Therefore their reputation is dying and if they don’t regain the accreditation by 2024, then you can’t take step or apply for residency, meaning you can’t graduate. Even more years wasted and in debt. I took 3 gap years and I was just accepted to two DO schools. This is when your resilience needs to kick in. Also speak to a lot of professional MDs and deans of admissions about Caribbean schools, like I did
One of my friends is an MS1 at St. George. I feel so bad for her 'cause this whole situation is out of her control. If they don't regain their accreditation they ought to refund the students and shut down for good. They won't, but they should.

Well goodluck. I tried my back up plan and didn’t like it so yeah

One of my friends is an MS1 at St. George. I feel so bad for her 'cause this whole situation is out of her control. If they don't regain their accreditation they ought to refund the students and shut down for good. They won't, but they should.
If I considered the school a few years ago maybe it would’ve been okay. But new med students there are soooooo screwed. They really should refund them!

@Bluespikes819, the main reason I question to to Caribbean school is because of residency matching. Not all student in US is guarantee a spot, then add caribbean on top of that.

I understand the MCAT is difficult (I am URM, took exam x2 after scoring sub-500 the first time). However, there is nothing worse than graduating med school with 300K+ in loan and you are unable to match. The risk just like aduubacsi said is too high.

Whatever you decide, good luck in your journey. The mcat certainly does not predict who will be a good doc. There are unfortunately many pre-med who would make good doctor, but don't even get an II.
There’s risk with even being at a US school. Thank you for your concern and I appreciate it. To be honest, No school has a 100% match rate either. And there are other international medical students also wanting to match. As much as there is chance if not matching but there’s also a chance of matching. I’m well aware of the statistics but as stated Caribbean has said yes to me. I’m not wasting my time studying again for the MCAT when I could use that energy into studying in Med school lol this is my second cycle applying and will be my last. I’m done donating to AAMC

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
There’s risk with even being at a US school. Thank you for your concern and I appreciate it. To be honest, No school has a 100% match rate either. And there are other international medical students also wanting to match. As much as there is chance if not matching but there’s also a chance of matching. I’m well aware of the statistics but as stated Caribbean has said yes to me. I’m not wasting my time studying again for the MCAT when I could use that energy into studying in Med school lol this is my second cycle applying and will be my last. I’m done donating to AAMC
🤷🏽‍♀️

Good luck! I’m rooting for you

My decision isn’t impulsive. This took three plus years for me to finally come to this decision. The end goal is to be a MD. Doesn’t matter the path. Oh nice I didn’t even know that but I got accepted to SGU and I didn’t like the interviewer and how they basically said “you’re on your own” lol I’m not going to SGU, definitely wasn’t in my Radar.
In addition, this is my third year trying. Resilience comes in different ways. Doesn’t always mean taking the mcat again. It can also mean going an alternative route that will eventually lead me to the same goal. If my years of hard work means nothing to US schools then it’s their loss.

My decision isn’t impulsive. This took three plus years for me to finally come to this decision. The end goal is to be a MD. Doesn’t matter the path. Oh nice I didn’t even know that but I got accepted to SGU and I didn’t like the interviewer and how they basically said “you’re on your own” lol I’m not going to SGU, definitely wasn’t in my Radar.
In addition, this is my third year trying. Resilience comes in different ways. Doesn’t always mean taking the mcat again. It can also mean going an alternative route that will eventually lead me to the same goal. If my years of hard work means nothing to US schools then it’s their loss.
To each their own. As long as you researched it and understand the disadvantages you may be at when the 4 years are over. I hope it works in your favor

To each their own. As long as you researched it and understand the disadvantages you may be at when the 4 years are over. I hope it works in your favor
Going to a US school doesn’t guarantee a match lol. The Caribbean stigma is so played out. It’s definitely not an easier route.
I’ve seen many success stories of IMG. It will work out in my favor by the grace of God.
Thank you and I hope it works in your favor as well!!

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 10 users
Going to a US school doesn’t guarantee a match lol. The Caribbean stigma is so played out. It’s definitely not an easier route.
I’ve seen many success stories of IMG. It will work out in my favor by the grace of God.
Thank you and I hope it works in your favor as well!!
It’s not played out. It’s true. There’s a better chance of getting matched as an US MD or US DO period. That’s the truth. You’ll have to just work harder as a Caribbean MD. But May God be by your side.

It’s not played out. It’s true. There’s a better chance of getting matched as an US MD or US DO period. That’s the truth. You’ll have to just work harder as a Caribbean MD. But May God be by your side.
Amen 🙏🏾
I’m ready to work hard wherever I end up. Fingers crossed for Howard though ^_^

I'm really curious about the match rate for Caribbean graduate for the class of 2024 since that's the first cohort to experience p/f step 1

I'm really curious about the match rate for Caribbean graduate for the class of 2024 since that's the first cohort to experience p/f step 1
I would assume it’s harder since programs can’t see the scores between the students. They may have to use step 2 or something else to rank the students. But we won’t know the full effects until 2024 😭

Y’all are giving me the TEA in this forum lol ☕️☕️☕️ but yeah anyway, I highly advise against going to the Caribbean at all costs. I’ve personally know at least 2 people who are going through the process and they’ve literally been in med school for like 6 years min. Their journey is honestly so crazy and unbelievable. Honestly, literal props to them, but I would’ve given up if I were in their shoes (literally half their class dropped out so yeah lol). I also vowed to never go that route and so glad I did since I got into my second choice DO school this cycle.

TLDR: The Caribbean is THE WORST medical school decision you could possibly go through with. Period. If you have the passion and capability to become a physician in the US, you should try to do it through the USMD and/or DO systems. Good luck y’all!!!

• Love
I would agree with this, typically I think Caribbean grads would use step scores to differentiate themselves, however with p/f step 1 there's going to be more eyes on EC's, letters, research, prestige, etc. Since research and prestige are not namesakes of Caribbean schools, they're going to have a harder time. I would be entirely wary of Caribbean schools that are so quick to lose accreditation, that sounds like a lot more of a time and money drain than multiple app cycles.

(This does not apply so much to Puerto Rican schools which typically have mid tier stats required for admission and are intended for those seeking to serve their population).

Last edited:
Please people, don't ever consider going to the Caribbean for medical school. They pray on desperate pre-meds who have had unsuccessful cycles. There are just too many disadvantages that stacked against you if you go to one (step 1 being p/f, high attrition rate, low match rate, mountains of loans thrust upon with no guarantee of paying back with a decent salary etc). This is why patience is a virtue (instant gratification does not go with success).

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users