2020-2021 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, the universe and its divine timing will always place you exactly where you need to be. So there’s really no need to worry. What is for you, will always be for you, and we will all become amazing physicians.
Sending positive vibes to everyone who reads this❤️

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 29 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What about iI? Are they done giving those out?
I'm not too sure if they follow the same schedule as last cycle but if they are then April 8th is their last interview date. So I would assume all II has been sent out since they send it out 3 weeks prior to the interview date.

I'm not too sure if they follow the same schedule as last cycle but if they are then April 8th is their last interview date. So I would assume all II has been sent out since they send it out 3 weeks prior to the interview date.
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. I received a last minute II from another institution three/four days before the last interview of the season. This cycle is just so strange that no news may really be good news. At this point I’m solid, but fingers are still crossed for Howard.

Reactions: 4 users
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. I received a last minute II from another institution three/four days before the last interview of the season. This cycle is just so strange that no news may really be good news. At this point I’m solid, but fingers are still crossed for Howard.
Ah good to know!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Skimming through the past application cycle it seem like a lot of rejections are going out at the end of April.

Emailed admissions about if there are any interviews left in the cycle and this is the response I received.

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in the Howard University College of Medicine. HUCM does a full review of your file within 4-8 weeks, however; HUCM does not provide status or accept advice requests. As information becomes available, or if more information is needed, an email will be sent to your email address which has been uploaded in your AMCAS application.
Your secondary application and documents have been received. The email sent was a reminder, if applicable, if missing courses then the option is available to provide updates.
Applicants selected for interviews will receive invitations to interview via email. Interviews will take place between late September and late April. Students not considered for an interview typically receive a release email around May or June of the application cycle.
Please be reminded: Meeting prerequisite/ grades/ MCAT requirements will only meet the criteria to qualify your application. As the website states you must be interviewed to be accepted to the College of Medicine. However, we cannot interview every applicant. Applicants selected for interviews will receive invitations to interview via email. Interviews will take place between late September and late April. Applicants not considered for an interview typically receive a release email around May or June of the application cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Emailed admissions about if there are any interviews left in the cycle and this is the response I received.

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in the Howard University College of Medicine. HUCM does a full review of your file within 4-8 weeks, however; HUCM does not provide status or accept advice requests. As information becomes available, or if more information is needed, an email will be sent to your email address which has been uploaded in your AMCAS application.
Your secondary application and documents have been received. The email sent was a reminder, if applicable, if missing courses then the option is available to provide updates.
Applicants selected for interviews will receive invitations to interview via email. Interviews will take place between late September and late April. Students not considered for an interview typically receive a release email around May or June of the application cycle.
Please be reminded: Meeting prerequisite/ grades/ MCAT requirements will only meet the criteria to qualify your application. As the website states you must be interviewed to be accepted to the College of Medicine. However, we cannot interview every applicant. Applicants selected for interviews will receive invitations to interview via email. Interviews will take place between late September and late April. Applicants not considered for an interview typically receive a release email around May or June of the application cycle.
Dang May or June

Lol at the 4-8 weeks....

Reactions: 1 users

if you know you aren’t inviting certain applicants for an interview, why not just tell them that now!? So they can plan accordingly about what their next steps will be. Ugh. So frustrating.

What I’m confused about it “late September through late April” part. Someone said the last interview was 4/07 but isn’t late April...well late April?

What I’m confused about it “late September through late April” part. Someone said the last interview was 4/07 but isn’t late April...well late April?
That's what I thought too but maybe they are planning to extend more interviews

It’s the way I’m bout to pray for me....
Speaking of praying. I don't really have a religion or believe in a higher being but found myself to start praying to all type of gods lol

Reactions: 2 users
if you know you aren’t inviting certain applicants for an interview, why not just tell them that now!? So they can plan accordingly about what their next steps will be. Ugh. So frustrating.
I say plan anyway and if Howard falls through, good. If not then you aren’t losing anything.

• Sad
Yea imo, based on people I’ve talked to there, Carib schools just seem like a huge money grab. Medical schools being for-profit is a huge red flag
Definitely a money grab and they market black and brown people the same way Strayer, ITT, Capella and a bunch of other people who have put people in unnecessary debt

Definitely a money grab and they market black and brown people the same way Strayer, ITT, Capella and a bunch of other people who have put people in unnecessary debt
And aamc isnt? How many people apply and how many actually get in? How many times do students take the mcattt? Only a small percentage actually qualify for FAP. Americans really like to think theirs is so perfect (I’m American btw). Anyway this conversation has been over.

Last edited:
  • Haha
If we get Rs today, I ain't believing them until tomorrow's "That was a real R" email..."

• Haha
True that. Side note: no idea how medical schools got corrected to Easter baskets. Maybe I need more sleep lol

• Haha
Oh it’s sdn doing that what the heck haha

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
No recent IIs?? Was holding out on hope but it was confirmed that they are wrapping up interview season

• Care
I really wanted to attend Howard Med, but I have decided to close the chapter. Accepted to my state school, so I know that regardless, I’m going to be an awesome doc and things will fall into place as they should. Good luck to the rest of you! Asè...

Reactions: 23 users
I really wanted to attend Howard Med, but I have decided to close the chapter. Accepted to my state school, so I know that regardless, I’m going to be an awesome doc and things will fall into place as they should. Good luck to the rest of you! Asè...
You’re gonna crush it. Getting an A anywhere is a huge accomplishment and I hope you’re proud of yourself

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
No recent IIs?? Was holding out on hope but it was confirmed that they are wrapping up interview season
And they still want to hold people's hope up until may or June?

• Sad
  • Angry
According to previous poster, Howard already finish interviewing this cycle so we're just waiting for pre ii R.
No their last interview dates are this week. But according to someone who emailed them, they extended interviews until late April

No their last interview dates are this week. But according to someone who emailed them, they extended interviews until late April
Oh really? Even then my chance of nabbing an II at this is 0 to none lol

• Care
And aamc isnt? How many people apply and how many actually get in? How many times do students take the mcattt? Only a small percentage actually qualify for FAP. Americans really like to think theirs is so perfect (I’m American btw). Anyway this conversation has been over.
Glad I didn’t see this foolishness. 😂 I specifically said in earlier post that Caribbean schools are American owned but yea, this been over. 😂

Exactly I’ve taken it 3x and tried many studying tactics even taken a course but as an URM I understand I need more time as growing up in underserved community didn’t give me the resources to be good at standardized exams. A three month prep course or masters degree won’t undo the years of damage. I didn’t have a hot SAT but I still did great in undergrad and graduate school so I don’t need multiple school rejecting me because of the MCAT. I know I’m more than capable in excelling as a physician. I’m no wasting more years trying to retake the mcat. That’s time I can use in preparing for the step exams.
I recommend you look into Drexel University's Pathway to Medical School. It is made specifically for people in your shoes. Best of luck to you!

Conditional A (with successful completion of PARP)! Got the email 30 min ago

Thanks to everyone for their positive vibes and encouragement :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 28 users
Glad I didn’t see this foolishness. 😂 I specifically said in earlier post that Caribbean schools are American owned but yea, this been over. 😂
Yet you’re still responding. You must really have time. Okay it’s American owned doesn’t mean there isn’t an implicit bias because it’s in the Caribbean.

I recommend you look into Drexel University's Pathway to Medical School. It is made specifically for people in your shoes. Best of luck to you!
I got waitlisted last cycle. I’m moving on. Thanks for your input.

Accepted students is it required to commit to enroll by April 30?
To my knowledge, you don't have to commit to enroll until the specific deadline that the school has for committing (IDK what that is for Howard). You DO have to plan to enroll by April 30th.