2021-2022 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
See my post #172 in this thread. Also, their 10th percentile on MSAR is 499. That means 10% of their matriculating class has an MCAT of or below 499.

So to answer your question yes I think they do give IIs and As to those with MCAT <499 :)
Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just got the " we have received and reviewed your AMCAS primary and secondary application" email. how long did it take yall to get an II? thanks!

just got the " we have received and reviewed your AMCAS primary and secondary application" email. how long did it take yall to get an II? thanks!
same. not sure what to make of it. Shouldn't they have a decision if they've reviewed everything? lol

Members don't see this ad :)

same. not sure what to make of it. Shouldn't they have a decision if they've reviewed everything? lol

Also just received this email, also unsure how to interpret it.

Received: FROM HOWARD U COLLEGE OF MEDICINE - AMCAS Application Reviewed 10/29

complete 9/15

praying y'all 😭😭

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Got that email on 8/30, crickets since

Reactions: 3 users
I got that on 7/18 and crickets. I’m sure those with IIs obviously have a different timeline, but essentially it’s not a guarantee that things are moving forward.

Hmm so apparently, I got the same email yesterday (lost in spam folder). What does it mean? Soft Pre-II R? Did anyone who got an II or A also receive a similar email?

Hmm so apparently, I got the same email yesterday (lost in spam folder). What does it mean? Soft Pre-II R? Did anyone who got an II or A also receive a similar email?
I wouldn't say rejection. I think it's a silent pre-II hold. My best guess is that they reviewed your application, gave it a score, and set it aside. Once the highest stat applicants are through, they'll go down the apps based on the scores they gave each application. The email we got probably just means they've given it a score and set it aside for now. This way of thinking may not be right but I think it's way more realistic than a pre-II R

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't say rejection. I think it's a silent pre-II hold. My best guess is that they reviewed your application, gave it a score, and set it aside. Once the highest stat applicants are through, they'll go down the apps based on the scores they gave each application. The email we got probably just means they've given it a score and set it aside for now. This way of thinking may not be right but I think it's way more realistic than a pre-II R
It’s not a pre-II rejection. I got a II after receiving that email. It took a couple of weeks.

Also just received this email, also unsure how to interpret it.
For reference, this is my timeline for Howard: I got that complete email on 8/18 and then got an II 9/10. Interviewed 10/12 and accepted 10/25. Good luck!!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know you are eligible for an interview if you have a 494 and above, but has anyone heard of anyone getting an II or acceptance with less than a 500 MCAT? Just trying to satiate my curiosity lol
yes, there are several (at least 4 that i know of) people in my class with a low mcat. but they usually have a higher gpa and great xtracurrics to compensate.

Application reviewed! Complete 09/08. Yay for signs of life lol.

yes, there are several (at least 4 that i know of) people in my class with a low mcat. but they usually have a higher gpa and great xtracurrics to compensate.
Thanks for answering! Do you mind if I DM you?

also, to those who applied early, just be patient and send updates.

Howard gets A LOT of secondaries and has to sort through a lot of them.

make sure to attend first fridays and make yourself known. be engaging if you can.

also timeline wise, unless you have stellar gpa and mcat, be patient. they interview into april. several ppl in my class got in in May and June!

Reactions: 4 users
also, to those who applied early, just be patient and send updates.

Howard gets A LOT of secondaries and has to sort through a lot of them.

make sure to attend first fridays and make yourself known. be engaging if you can.

also timeline wise, unless you have stellar gpa and mcat, be patient. they interview into april. several ppl in my class got in in May and Jun

Hey sorry to ask if this has already been asked but what is first fridays? I have submitted my secondary but have not heard back for an interview.

Hey sorry to ask if this has already been asked but what is first fridays? I have submitted my secondary but have not heard back for an interview.
Admissions webinar held the first Friday of the month. You can sign up via Howard’s admissions’ website.

im going to the first friday this week and I was wondering for those who have attended, how long does it last? Thanks!

im going to the first friday this week and I was wondering for those who have attended, how long does it last? Thanks!
I attended the August one and tapped out about at 2hours and 45min and they were still going strong at that point.

Last edited:
they accepted mine last year and acknowledged them. did they explicitly say that this year
Oops I made a column in my AMCAS spreadsheet of which schools accept updates and which don't and I forgot what the colors I put by them meant. Went back to the legend, and I could not find if they accepted updates. If they do, how did you do it?

Would someone be able to share the zoom link for today’s First Friday? I registered, but they never sent me the link

Would someone be able to share the zoom link for today’s First Friday? I registered, but they never sent me the link

Oops I made a column in my AMCAS spreadsheet of which schools accept updates and which don't and I forgot what the colors I put by them meant. Went back to the legend, and I could not find if they accepted updates. If they do, how did you do it?
write a formal letter. should be about a page. thank them for the opportunity for possibly being considered, give them a meaningful uodate or two and weave in why these updates relate to why you specifically want to go to Howard.

send to admissions and CC cecilia williams-folkes, april hicks, and sharmon jones

make sure to give it a good review before sending it (every bit of correspondence is insight to your professionalism)

Reactions: 4 users
Just got my acceptance! Interviewed 10/12!

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I dont se
write a formal letter. should be about a page. thank them for the opportunity for possibly being considered, give them a meaningful uodate or two and weave in why these updates relate to why you specifically want to go to Howard.

send to admissions and CC cecilia williams-folkes, april hicks, and sharmon jones

make sure to give it a good review before sending it (every bit of correspondence is insight to your professionalism)
dang that’s interesting my advisor said update letters should be short 1 paragraph updating them on ur accrued hours…
Good to know

Hello! I am interviewing tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice or insight? Would help a lot.
Also stats, OOS, 505 MCAT, cGPA 3.87 for anyone wondering

Hello! I am interviewing tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any advice or insight? Would help a lot.
Also stats, OOS, 505 MCAT, cGPA 3.87 for anyone wondering
Be yourself. depends on the interviewer but it can be pretty much just a regular regular conversation.

if you get a harder interviewer, don’t stress. if you got an interview, they probably already like you so just roll with the punches.

don’t oversell yourself but don’t be too modest! i’m sure you will find your balance tomorrow and crush it

Reactions: 1 users
I dont se

dang that’s interesting my advisor said update letters should be short 1 paragraph updating them on ur accrued hours…
Good to know
it can be short. this was just my personal experience. i wrote updates and got interviews at a few schools bc of it

Be yourself. depends on the interviewer but it can be pretty much just a regular regular conversation.

if you get a harder interviewer, don’t stress. if you got an interview, they probably already like you so just roll with the punches.

don’t oversell yourself but don’t be too modest! i’m sure you will find your balance tomorrow and crush it
Thanks so much! That makes me feel a lot better!

Kindly withdrew my application today.

• Care
Hey all, I just got the interview invite!

Complete 08/24, Reviewed 10/08, II 11/09
I also attended last week's first Friday Open House. Could be a coincidence that my II came so soon after, but if anyone is waiting to hear about an II I'd suggest showing interest by attending.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey all, I just got the interview invite!

Complete 08/24, Reviewed 10/08, II 11/09
I also attended last week's first Friday Open House. Could be a coincidence that my II came so soon after, but if anyone is waiting to hear about an II I'd suggest showing interest by attending.
Mind sharing stats?

II received today but I am withdrawing my application. I hope it goes to someone waiting! Complete 7/2, Reviewed 7/27, II 11/09. IS, reapplicant, 3.77, 511, URM

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
To withdraw an application, do you just email the admissions asking if your app can be withdrawn?
Yes you have to email their admissions office.

I am withdrawing my app because I got in somewhere else I prefer to attend. i hope you are not doing so because of their endless silence.