2021-2022 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do they release on certain days or is there not a predictable day of the week?
She received it on a Wednesday. So far, between us, we've had 15 IIs and every single one has been on Wednesday through Friday. Idk if that's just random chance or a tendency.

Members don't see this ad.

a bit of a detour from the conversation, but whoa, congrats on converting 64% of your secondaries into interviews!
Thank you! I think I'm just waiting on this school and one other that I do really want to interview at; other than those, I will probably withdraw from the remainders if I get into some TX schools on Friday.

Also, looks like you're doing well yourself :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I think I'm just waiting on this school and one other that I do really want to interview at; other than those, I will probably withdraw from the remainders if I get into some TX schools on Friday.

Also, looks like you're doing well yourself :D
Just curious, why would you choose to withdraw rather than waiting to see what your financial aid packages are? Even you don't intend to go regardless of financial aid, several schools match aid or increase aid based on what rival schools give.

Just curious, why would you choose to withdraw rather than waiting to see what your financial aid packages are? Even you don't intend to go regardless of financial aid, several schools match aid or increase aid based on what rival schools give.
Because pretty much no school is going to match TX IS tuition! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Because pretty much no school is going to match TX IS tuition! :)
Not necessarily. OSU for example gives 5 100% scholarships and 5 50% scholarships (merit aid). That's just 1 school, but there are others and if you're the type of person to get 16 IIs already, and you might be pretty competitive for them. Of course, not saying that it's guaranteed or even close, but it's certainly possible. My interviewer told me I was competitive for them and have half the IIs. Even if you're certain you want to go to a TX school, you could use one of these to leverage and get a better package (or at least try to- some schools will, some schools won't). Of course, if TX schools have a policy that none will ever match an OOS school, then this is moot. I am unaware of any such policy, but I also don't know anything about Texas med schools.

Not necessarily. OSU for example gives 5 100% scholarships and 5 50% scholarships (merit aid). That's just 1 school, but there are others and if you're the type of person to get 16 IIs already, and you might be pretty competitive for them. Of course, not saying that it's guaranteed or even close, but it's certainly possible. My interviewer told me I was competitive for them and have half the IIs. Even if you're certain you want to go to a TX school, you could use one of these to leverage and get a better package (or at least try to- some schools will, some schools won't). Of course, if TX schools have a policy that none will ever match an OOS school, then this is moot. I am unaware of any such policy, but I also don't know anything about Texas med schools.
Yup. I am certainly not an expert on TX schools, other than knowing they are dirt cheap and have a requirement that at least 90% of their seats go to residents. Private schools like Baylor are not subject to that requirement, but still heavily favor IS applicants.

TX residents generally want to stay in TX, and so prefer TX schools. TX schools have far few seats than residents who want them, and the tuition is already heavily subsidized by the state, so they generally don't feel a need to get into bidding wars with schools like OSU for one of the 5 or so applicants who have such an offer. Even 50% off OOS tuition at OSU is still higher than IS tuition at every TX school, including Baylor!

Bottom line, very few TX applicants receive OOS opportunities that are cost competitive with their IS options. Forget OSU. The 250 or so that @wysdoc referenced above are probably receiving generous need based offers at schools like Harvard and JHU, and TX schools are not bidding against them either.

TX is simply an island onto itself, with its own application system, a uniquely heavy IS preference, and the lowest IS tuition in the country, other than NYU and USUHS. @throwaway01564's strategy is typical, because it's a waste of time and energy to go through the motions at schools they have no genuine interest in when their IS schools ideally position them for the residencies they want and when they are already benefiting from among the lowest COAs in the country.

Put another way, EVERY IS TX matriculant is automatically receiving around a 65% scholarship as compared to OOS tuition at just about every school in the country. In addition, I'm sure TX schools make additional financial aid available to those with demonstrated need. What more is there to chase, other than an acceptance at a school they'd really rather attend?

Last edited:
Yup. I am certainly not an expert on TX schools, other than knowing they are dirt cheap and have a requirement that at least 90% of their seats go to residents. Private schools like Baylor are not subject to that requirement, but still heavily favor IS applicants.

TX residents generally want to stay in TX, and so prefer TX schools. TX schools have far few seats than residents who want them, and the tuition is already heavily subsidized by the state, so they generally don't feel a need to get into bidding wars with schools like OSU for one of the 5 or so applicants who have such an offer. Even 50% off OOS tuition at OSU is still higher than IS tuition at every TX school, including Baylor!

Bottom line, very few TX applicants receive OOS opportunities that are cost competitive with their IS options. Forget OSU. The 250 or so that @wysdoc referenced above are probably receiving generous need based offers at schools like Harvard and JHU, and TX schools are not bidding against them either.

TX is simply an island onto itself, with its own application system, a uniquely heavy IS preference, and the lowest IS tuition in the country, other than NYU and USUHS. @throwaway01564's strategy is typical, because it's a waste of time and energy to go through the motions at schools they have no genuine interest in when their IS schools ideally position them for the residencies they want and when they are already benefiting from among the lowest COAs in the country.

Put another way, EVERY IS TX matriculant is automatically receiving around a 65% scholarship as compared to OOS tuition at just about every school in the country. In addition, I'm sure TX schools make additional financial aid available to those with demonstrated need. What more is there to chase, other than an acceptance at a school they'd really rather attend?
Good point, makes sense. What is the 250 that @wysdoc mentioned? Can't find that reference.

Good point, makes sense. What is the 250 that @wysdoc mentioned? Can't find that reference.
Sorry, I mixed threads. It was a post she made in the TX thread, and, as she said, the 250 was actually 296 last year.

Yeah I've received interviews at the schools I like other than 2 or 3, and the rest I'd rather go to Baylor than them if I get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 8.45.47 PM.png

Me still w no JHU II

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Got an email saying "Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Regular M.D. program invites you to take the next step with your application"....is this an invite >:I

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email saying "Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Regular M.D. program invites you to take the next step with your application"....is this an invite >:I
you know damn well its an invite lol.

Congrats buddy!

II today! Secondary submitted 7/3 (so if you submitted early there is still hope). Interview scheduling is only a week out.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II today! Secondary submitted 7/3 (so if you submitted early there is still hope). Interview scheduling is only a week out.
wait so your interview options are for THE END OF OCTOBER?! what the hell lol

Yup options were next Thursday or Friday (so a week from now) 🥳
I've noticed this is rather common amongst a lot of top schools tbh. Interviews to Penn, Hopkins, Cornell, and a few others from my friends were all within 2 weeks or so.

Let @KnightDoc free up space for those who want to go to those other schools, don't attack him for being unselfish.

• Haha
Let @KnightDoc free up space for those who want to go to those other schools, don't attack him for being unselfish.
I mean... ultimately that space would be freed up anyway, just at a later date.

I'm not advocating holding onto acceptances for no reason, just when it helps your financial status. Med school is expensive.

Once I verified that one of my acceptances provides no merit or matching aid, I dropped it because I knew there was 0 chance I would either attend or could use it for leverage.

II 10/29. Super excited to interview for this school

For people that interviewed yesterday and the day before (10/28, 10/29), did they let us know when we would hear back?

How does Hopkins view entrepreneurship? I know other T10s prefer it more (Stanford), but how is it viewed versus research? I have one 2nd author pub in a low IF journal, but have worked with a company to get a Series A and have my own company too. I get that it's all based on how it was phrased in the primary/secondary but just curious what the general consensus is

How does Hopkins view entrepreneurship? I know other T10s prefer it more (Stanford), but how is it viewed versus research? I have one 2nd author pub in a low IF journal, but have worked with a company to get a Series A and have my own company too. I get that it's all based on how it was phrased in the primary/secondary but just curious what the general consensus is

Stanford likes entrepreneurship?!
why i get rejected then. I must have had the wrong kind

• Care
Entrepreneurship/innovation I believe (esp. KH scholars). I mean their secondary literally made me list out my COIs in business xD

being honest, probably the LM score, unfortunately.

• Haha
being honest, probably the LM score, unfortunately.

Oh yea, absolutely lol. This was super a reach school by all means :).
I fully acknowledge that and have embraced all Rs thus far lol

I wondered the same thing when I got my Stanford R, but JHU can have my entrepreneurship <3

Hopkins views it very similarly to Stanford! They are probably the two T20s that are undeniably a great place for entrepreneurs. Specifically, JHU has a biomedical innovation center available to students as well as the possibility of a dual degree in health innovation and technology. The scholarly project requirement at Hopkins can be fulfilled from pursuing some sort of business idea in healthcare and there is a lot of flexibility for it in the degree (ie you can leave for X years and start your business/do something cool and come back and finish your MD VERY easily).

I wondered the same thing when I got my Stanford R, but JHU can have my entrepreneurship <3

Hopkins views it very similarly to Stanford! They are probably the two T20s that are undeniably a great place for entrepreneurs. Specifically, JHU has a biomedical innovation center available to students as well as the possibility of a dual degree in health innovation and technology. The scholarly project requirement at Hopkins can be fulfilled from pursuing some sort of business idea in healthcare and there is a lot of flexibility for it in the degree (ie you can leave for X years and start your business/do something cool and come back and finish your MD VERY easily).
Amazing! I know the creators of Osmosis were at Hopkins (might still be) and medical education is definitely something I want to pursue. Thank you!

tbh, Penn doesn't seem to value it quite as much as these two, which surprises me as it's considered one of the 3 best business schools in the nation (Harvard, Stanford, Penn- Wharton).

Johnny hopkins pls stop playing games, show ur cards

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Got an II today, the earliest they have available at the moment is Dec. 2/3

Has anyone who interviewed here sent a letter of interest, letter of intent, or update letter? Not sure how this would be viewed or if it would hurt not to send one. I don't have any major updates but was thinking of sending a letter of interest, just not sure if that matters at this school given that it's Hopkins lol

Has anyone who interviewed here sent a letter of interest, letter of intent, or update letter? Not sure how this would be viewed or if it would hurt not to send one. I don't have any major updates but was thinking of sending a letter of interest, just not sure if that matters at this school given that it's Hopkins lol
I don't think that it helps (I had the same question lol). In a podcast that was posted in the 2020-2021 SDN thread, Paul White mentioned that letter of interest or letter of intent will not factor in to decisions at all and that after interviewing, decisions are solely based on committee score. If you have an update though you can probably try and tie in fit to the school?

Anyone remember when the first round of decisions come out? i think they said December but I can’t remember if it was more specific

Anyone remember when the first round of decisions come out? i think they said December but I can’t remember if it was more specific
Mid-December, probably the 13th or that week judging on past threads.

Could we send post-interview updates? And who do we send them to? I do have significant updates that has happened since my interview that I would like to notify the school about. Could we email them an update letter?
Yes! I would reach out to Val Mazza about it. In past years those letters have gone to her and she adds them to your application. However, it's always safe to double check with her and make sure :)