2020-2021 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Hopkins accept interview thank you letters? And if so, any thoughts on where to send them?

And does anyone know the timeline for notification of admissions decisions? Thanks!
Yes they do. See them to Valerie and she'll pass them along.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Could any of the current students tell us more about the facilities? Almost every picture I've seen is just from the outside, and also mostly the hospital. How is the actual med school?

Reactions: 1 user
Could any of the current students tell us more about the facilities? Almost every picture I've seen is just from the outside, and also mostly the hospital. How is the actual med school?
AMEB where you will spend most of preclinical is an absolutely gorgeous newer building with fully equipped conference and study rooms, computer labs, CAP college rooms for chilling/eating lunch.

For MS3-MS4 you'll be all over the different JHH buildings (as well as other sites like Bayview, Sinai, Howard County) so its tougher to describe.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an e-mail to set up a financial aid account earlier today, which prompted me to fill out their institutional aid application. I wonder if any current students have any input on the question regarding your anticipated medical field/specialty? Do we think that your anticipated choice could actually impact your financial aid, and in that case would it be better to leave it as undecided or choose something?

Got an e-mail to set up a financial aid account earlier today, which prompted me to fill out their institutional aid application. I wonder if any current students have any input on the question regarding your anticipated medical field/specialty? Do we think that your anticipated choice could actually impact your financial aid, and in that case would it be better to leave it as undecided or choose something?

Not a current student, but I highly doubt what you put down will impact your financial aid. I think they ask so they could "pair" you with donors in similar fields, so you can write thank-you notes to them in the future. But it doesn't affect aid.

Not a current student, but I highly doubt what you put down will impact your financial aid. I think they ask so they could "pair" you with donors in similar fields, so you can write thank-you notes to them in the future. But it doesn't affect aid.

Doesn't that mean though that it *could* potentially impact your aid, which I'm afraid of? Like say a donor has specifically requested a scholarship go to people who want to do Oncology. If I don't put down a matching specialty, that could potentially affect my aid, no?

Sorry I know you probably don't really know the answer, I'm just trying to think this true and see if it's better to put something, or just say undecided.

Doesn't that mean though that it *could* potentially impact your aid, which I'm afraid of? Like say a donor has specifically requested a scholarship go to people who want to do Oncology. If I don't put down a matching specialty, that could potentially affect my aid, no?

Sorry I know you probably don't really know the answer, I'm just trying to think this true and see if it's better to put something, or just say undecided.

I am only familiar with how need-based aid works, and I assume this based on how it was done for my undergrad. The way that I think about it, need-based financial aid is drawn from one large pool of money, which is comprised of money that has been fundraised, donated, invested, etc. How much need-based aid you receive is solely based on your family's financial records. If a donor specifically requests that their money goes to someone interested in oncology, then the donor will be "paired" with an oncology student, and their money could technically go to only students interested in oncology. But that doesn't mean you receive less money, your aid will just be drawn from the pool from other donors / sources.

Merit aid has other criteria and probably works differently, so idk on that front. Regardless, there's no way to game the system, and the best thing you can do is be honest, right? Based on your theory, what if you put 'undecided' and that disqualifies you from many donors? There's no way of knowing.

Anyone complete in November hear back? Feeling a bit discouraged at not having heard back.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone complete in November hear back? Feeling a bit discouraged at not having heard back.
I was complete on 9/4 and still waiting........... Should we take it as a silent R? Their website says "Late February: Completion of interviews" - so maybe there still hope?

So their institutional aid app is asking for monthly rent while at JHUSOM. No idea what to put here. Any current students that can provide a ballpark of what you paid your first year?

So their institutional aid app is asking for monthly rent while at JHUSOM. No idea what to put here. Any current students that can provide a ballpark of what you paid your first year?
Is the institutional aid app something they emailed you, or did you find it on their website? I haven't received one (but idk if it's cuz I haven't submitted fafsa yet?)

Is the institutional aid app something they emailed you, or did you find it on their website? I haven't received one (but idk if it's cuz I haven't submitted fafsa yet?)
Got an e-mail a couple of days ago to access a financial aid account, and it included that as an outstanding item to complete. For reference I sent my FAFSA around early January

• Love
You should err on the high side, because it's easy to take less loans but requires some paperwork and emailing to request a loan increase.

Jefferson square 1bedrooms are ~1600-1800 which is def on the high side for bmore, if you want to put that

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed but not heard back (we'll hear back end of March?), have you guys submitted fin aid forms? If not, should we wait until we receive a decision?

is there a deadline for submitting the fin aid information? the only one I could find online is March 1 for MD residents, but not sure about OOS

I was complete on 9/4 and still waiting........... Should we take it as a silent R? Their website says "Late February: Completion of interviews" - so maybe there still hope?
True! Keeping my fingers crossed. @justagirl213 were you complete 11/1? Have you heard anything pertinent to Nov completes?

Kinda late in the cycle but I found this very interesting document from the 19-20 cycle on Google! It basically shows how far out in advance they meet to discuss applicants, and when a decision is made. Could maybe be helpful when considering when to send an update?? Also it looks like last year their last interview was Feb 14th. I wonder how that changed because of COVID?

• Wow
Hi, are you interviewing this week or have you already interviewed? Could you please share your complete date and when your interview was scheduled? Good luck!
None of the above—they’re a current student. M1’s get updates about when interviews are taking place, what schools interviewees are from, etc. This is the last week of interviews, so invites are likely finished.

Welp it’s been a good ride guys. Good luck to everyone who interviewed!!! Give me my pre-II R, you cowards! :p

is there a deadline for submitting the fin aid information? the only one I could find online is March 1 for MD residents, but not sure about OOS
I think the “deadline” is technically around now. In the financial aid video they sent us over email, they said there’s no hard priority deadline but that they are starting app review for financial aid packages in February. You can obviously still turn it in later but they tend to use up their money as time goes on.

I think the “deadline” is technically around now. In the financial aid video they sent us over email, they said there’s no hard priority deadline but that they are starting app review for financial aid packages in February. You can obviously still turn it in later but they tend to use up their money as time goes on.
Is the financial aid information just FAFSA and CSS?

should we be submitting financial aid to hopkins (and other schools) if we haven't received a decision/got waitlisted lol sorry for the dumb question!

• Care
should we be submitting financial aid to hopkins (and other schools) if we haven't received a decision/got waitlisted lol sorry for the dumb question!
I got this response today from the financial aid office about whether I should submit FAFSA+CSS now or after I get a decision in late march.

"It's totally up to you if you would like to wait to apply for financial aid, as we do not have an awarding or priority deadline. We will review your application upon receipt."

I'm worried I wont get a financial aid package before April 15/30th if I get accepted, but I also wouldn't expect them to put together a package unless I was already accepted ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Is the financial aid information just FAFSA and CSS?
it's FAFSA, CSS, and a JHU-specific finaid application once you've submitted the other two

edit: jk about the JHU specific app! just fafsa/css i believe

Last edited:
Okay great, thank you so much for your help! I have not received it yet, so I will just wait for the email
after actually logging into the JH finaid portal, I think I gave you the wrong information sorry!! It's not actually a 3rd financial aid application, it's just their specific financial aid system that "will allow you to view the status of your financial aid application, accept or decline your financial aid award, view your cost of attendance, and view additional important financial aid information." So I do think it's something emailed post-A

Belated -- but MSTP A a few days ago! :) Good luck all!! Rooting for you.

Hey guys! Hopkins is a dream school of mine and wanted to ask if you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting in next cycle? I'm ORM

Cumulative: 3.86
Science: 3.77

Freshman: 3.57/3.4
Sophomore: 3.95/4.0
Senior: 4.0/4.0

MCAT: 521

*I graduated in three years with an upward trend as shown above*

Activities Summary:

Clinical Volunteering: 1,210 Hours
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 1,475 Hours
Shadowing: 247 Hours (Nephrology, Neurosurgery, General Surgery, Pediatrics)
Research: 4,720 Hours
3 Posters (All presented at national conferences)
*6 Publications (4 First Authors)*
Music Teacher (700+ Hours)

*I think my 6 publications with 4 first-author publications is my strong factor that can hopefully get me some interviews at the top 20s.*

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Hey guys! Hopkins is a dream school of mine and wanted to ask if you guys think I have a realistic chance of getting in next cycle? I'm ORM

Activities Summary:

*I think my 6 publications with 4 first-author publications is my strong factor that can hopefully get me some interviews at the top 20s.*
Didn’t you say in the 2020-21 Cornell page that Cornell was your dream school?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users

Activities Summary:

Hopkins requires a MINIMUM of 4800 research hours so you need to stop slacking in that area. Pack your sunscreen /s

No but for real, your hours and scores are fine. I don't know what else there needs to be said. Good job with the publications,but I hope there's more about you than just that and the number of hours you've spent doing those activities.

Hopkins requires a MINIMUM of 4800 research hours so you need to stop slacking in that area. Pack your sunscreen /s

No but for real, your hours and scores are fine. I don't know what else there needs to be said. Good job with the publications,but I hope there's more about you than just that and the number of hours you've spent doing those activities.

Even though I've already interviewed, I still panicked reading the first line 😂

Thank you so much for your message and advice! Do you think Hopkins, and other Top 20s will be forgiving of my freshman year?

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but I would love to hear current student feedback on how Hopkins is handling the pandemic. Did they vaccinate you all? Are the older classes having to see any COVID patients?

Speaking of waitlist, have they sent the email with info about accepting your position on the alternate list (that they mentioned in the original email), or has this not gone out yet?

^Would like to know as well.

Not sure if this has been addressed already, but I would love to hear current student feedback on how Hopkins is handling the pandemic. Did they vaccinate you all? Are the older classes having to see any COVID patients?
M1 here. Yes, we were all given the opportunity to get vaccinated beginning early January. As first-years, we don't see COVID patients in our LAC (longitudinal ambulatory clerkship) clinics. Current school policy for those on the wards is that "only students scheduled for the Advanced Critical Care Clerkship, Advanced Clinical Electives, and Subinternships are allowed to see PUI/COVID+ patients." Personally, I've always felt safe and think most of my classmates feel the same. All students were fit with an N95 before LAC started and each site has different policies about what PPE is required (for example, at my site I can wear a surgical mask and face shield which is great because I find the surgical mask more comfortable

• Love
  • Care
Anyone know how many people will be admitted this month? Also when are decisions sent?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how many people will be admitted this month? Also when are decisions sent?
All I know is that Dean White mentioned in an interview that they try to accept a similar percentage out of each interview chunk before the decisions in December, late January, and late March. Someone correct any pieces I may have gotten wrong. So hoping that they don't mean end of March like March 29-31 lol. Please be like...March 15th or something haha. Y'know actually I'ma just imagine that it's March 31 so I can't possibly get my hopes up.

All I know is that Dean White mentioned in an interview that they try to accept a similar percentage out of each interview chunk before the decisions in December, late January, and late March. Someone correct any pieces I may have gotten wrong. So hoping that they don't mean end of March like March 29-31 lol. Please be like...March 15th or something haha. Y'know actually I'ma just imagine that it's March 31 so I can't possibly get my hopes up.
Not to get y’all’s hopes up, buuut I think last year decisions were sent on March 16 👀

• Care