2021-2022 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @sweatysweetpotato79 for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 Oakland (Beaumont) Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth, and how would your experiences contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in our community? (400 words)

2. Describe your motivation to attend OUWB. (250 words)

3. (Optional): Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation.
Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)

4. (Optional): If you are a reapplicant to OUWB, please describe improvements you have made to your current application from previous cycles (please include academics, experiences, and/or personal characteristics). (400 words)

5. Please describe how you have overcome obstacles or adapted during the COVID-19 epidemic to continue to show your commitment to serving the community and gaining meaningful medical experience. (400 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big news... Beaumont Health announced they will be merging with Spectrum Health, a huge system in West Michigan that also works with MSU!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else not received a secondary? I submitted and was verified by june 20 and I meet their academic/residency requirements easily

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else not received a secondary? I submitted and was verified by june 20 and I meet their academic/residency requirements easily
I'm OOS, but I also have no received the secondary app yet. I did receive an email that they received my AMCAS app last Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm OOS, but I also have no received the secondary app yet. I did receive an email that they received my AMCAS app last Friday.
Ohh gotcha must be OOS people delay. I was just kinda surprised cuz I used Oakland as my first submission for verification. And a bunch of other schools I got already before Oakalnd

Just received secondary, OOS.

These are the questions:

1)How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth, and how would your experiences contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in our community? (400 word)
2)Describe your motivation to attend OUWB. (250 word)
3)Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 word)
4) Optional: If you are a reapplicant to OUWB, please describe improvements you have made to your current application from previous cycles (please include academics, experiences, and/or personal characteristics). (400)
5) Please describe how you have overcome obstacles or adapted during the COVID-19 epidemic to continue to show your commitment to serving the community and gaining meaningful medical experience. (400 word)

Reactions: 2 users
Just received secondary, OOS.

These are the questions:

1)How have your experiences serving others contributed to your personal growth, and how would your experiences contribute to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in our community? (400 word)
2)Describe your motivation to attend OUWB. (250 word)
3)Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 word)
4) Optional: If you are a reapplicant to OUWB, please describe improvements you have made to your current application from previous cycles (please include academics, experiences, and/or personal characteristics). (400)
5) Please describe how you have overcome obstacles or adapted during the COVID-19 epidemic to continue to show your commitment to serving the community and gaining meaningful medical experience. (400 word)
+1 OOS

Secondary received on 7/1. OOS. Verified on AMCAS 6/15

Just submitted my AMCAS yesterday for verification - how long did it take for AAMC to verify before I can send it to OU? Thanks!

any got any advice on the why oakland prompt? struggling to find something on their website that is super unique to them...

Is anyone else having technical issues when trying to pay the secondary application fee? The webpage shows an error.

any got any advice on the why oakland prompt? struggling to find something on their website that is super unique to them...
You’ll have to come up with your own answer, but some things that you can mention (at least in my opinion as in incoming M1) is that you have a required optho rotation , a requirement to shadow a chaplain ( to understand the spiritual aspect), Beaumont Health, and their location( and how it differs between Wayne State/UMich/MSU)

Reactions: 2 users
You’ll have to come up with your own answer, but some things that you can mention (at least in my opinion as in incoming M1) is that you have a required optho rotation , a requirement to shadow a chaplain ( to understand the spiritual aspect), Beaumont Health, and their location( and how it differs between Wayne State/UMich/MSU)

I thought the required ophtho rotation was pretty cool too. Do you have anything in particular that you really like about this school or that made you choose it? I've written my secondary but thought it'd be nice to ask someone who is going to be attending here!

The requirement to shadow a chaplain seems fascinating but I can't find it on the website. Do you know where they mention it?

For the first question, are you answering it as two separate parts or as one big question? I'm having trouble thinking of an experience that was so significant that it both impacted me and would contribute to diversity.

Hi y'all! Current M4 here and love answering questions about the school. I'm a big fan of the sense of community my class has and I hope all future classes share this same sense of community. Best of luck this application cycle!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi y'all! Current M4 here and love answering questions about the school. I'm a big fan of the sense of community my class has and I hope all future classes share this same sense of community. Best of luck this application cycle!

Love to hear this!!

They don't screen so you should contact the admissions office

has anyone noticed that they mentioned the COVID-19 "epidemic", not the "pandemic"? or is it just me?

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else get a notification email from OUWB and start sh*thing their pants cus they thought it was an II, but it was just a newsletter. Ffs

Anyone else get a notification email from OUWB and start sh*thing their pants cus they thought it was an II, but it was just a newsletter. Ffs
I thought it was going to be my secondary I have been waiting a month for...

Lmao yes. It almost gave me a heart attack.

Did everyone who submitted their secondary get this email? Idk if I should be worried now lol :confused:

How are yall answering the optional question "Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials."

I am a little confused about what is expected here

How are yall answering the optional question "Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials."

I kind of took it as "if you took a gap year, what did ya do?" Since I plan on matriculating the fall after I graduate college, I just left it blank!

I was confused as well--I was going to talk about my gap years but it also says new info only...so I ended up using it as a space to explain inconsistencies in my app

Congrats! I am wondering if they sent it out to IS first then OOS?
Maybe? I went back to the portal to see if there were any updates posted there. There weren't any, but I then reviewed the emails that they send us after completing the secondary application. I found this,

"Our interview season begins in late-August and ends in mid-March"

So I guess we still have more time to prep for interviews. 😅

Maybe? I went back to the portal to see if there were any updates posted there. There weren't any, but I then reviewed the emails that they send us after completing the secondary application. I found this,

"Our interview season begins in late-August and ends in mid-March"

So I guess we still have more time to prep for interviews. 😅
yeah and the have 50/50 for IS vs. OOS. I am an OOS applicant and have a low mcat but I am assuming most schools will interview high stats applicants first even if they do a holistic review.