2020-2021 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is mainly standardized patient encounters. There may be an opportunity here or there to see "real" patients but the APM course will prepare you for appropriate history and physical exam skills before you are thrown into clinical experiences. As a fourth year, I can say I did not feel robbed of any experience by seeing standardized patients before real patients.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate your insights. 😊

Members don't see this ad.

This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves when schools advertise "patient experience on day one" or whatever. You have absolutely no training in either physical exam skills, interview skills, or fundamental medical knowledge to really even provide any help.

I distinctly remember herpity derping my way through APM standardized patients and realized I had so much work to do before even interacting with a real patient ahahaha. Agree with CaptainJack, did not feel robbed of any experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received a need based scholarship at all?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing my acceptance here. Best of luck everbody!

Reactions: 4 users
Partial merit scholarship here the other day, very blessed

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been told that they do not qualify for a merit scholarship? I was accepted back in late October and have not gotten any information regarding need-based or merit scholarships.

Anyone is eligible for a merit scholarship- I had a mid/low MCAT score and still received a merit award last year. It is not entirely about scores, but also about fitting with the mission, extracurriculars etc.

Reactions: 1 users
anybunny is eligible for a merit scholarship- I had a mid/low flowers score and still received a merit award last year. It is not entirely about scores, but also about fitting with the mission, extracurriculars etc.
Thanks for the info! I am blessed in that I have pretty good scores, it would just be nice to know whether or not I will be receiving any sort of merit scholarship. Right now I am between UVA and one other school, and financials are gonna be a major decision for me.

Anybody have any info on waitlist movement? Other schools are sending out waitlist ranks and seem to be giving some information on likelihood of acceptance (i.e. top 1/3 of the waitlist "historically" gets accepted), but I haven't heard much out of Oakland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody have any info on waitlist movement? Other schools are sending out waitlist ranks and seem to be giving some information on likelihood of acceptance (i.e. top 1/3 of the waitlist "historically" gets accepted), but I haven't heard much out of Oakland.
My email said that we’ll be placed into one of the two tiers after April 30th. Very few people here on the OUWB WL have gotten As so far though. The admissions committee said that historically half of Tier One gets accepted if that helps.

If we haven't received a scholarship offer at this point, is there a still a chance we can receive one in the future? I know they say on their website that aid is doled out even after the school year starts, but historically is there any evidence of this occurring?

If we haven't received a scholarship offer at this point, is there a still a chance we can receive one in the future? I know they say on their website that aid is doled out even after the school year starts, but historically is there any evidence of this occurring?
I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that's the case. I imagine that could be a question that will be posed at their Second Look Financial Aid presentation this afternoon, though.

Just received waitlist tier placement via email.
Same! I got placed first tier but I am unsure if they are going to offer me in a timely manner. I am already committed to a school that starts in June. Does anyone know how soon they start offering?

Got placed into first tier. Barring any huge scholarship, I’ll likely withdraw my spot soon. Best of luck to those going to OUWB!

lol second tier waitlist. probably gonna withdraw

Second tier WL just now. Still only on several WLs with no As, so I’m going to cling to this as hope haha

• Care
Any idea of about how many people are on each tier? I recall from interview day they said the pull from both the first and second tier every year, and that they do make a third tier that has never been pulled from... but I don't know how many on each.

As someone on the WL... for those who know for certain they do not want to go to OUWB and have other As they are pursuing, please withdraw for those of us that would love to attend.

• Hmm
Second tier waitlist, will be withdrawing. Best of luck every one!

I guess @Chicken Little is too busy being amazing/doing clerkships to provide optimism for the WL so I guess I'll try (disclaimer: I'm an incoming med student btw so credibility is eh? ) :

From Chicken Little Post 482 2020-2021 thread:

"Tier 1 has the best chances, but they may not accept everyone off Tier 1 before they start accepting students from Tier 2. I was accepted off Tier 2 before Tier 1 was exhausted. When I asked about it years ago they stated they look to create a diverse class and when they need to extend an offer from the waitlist they try to pick the applicant meets their diversification needs among other factors."

SO in short everyone has a chance, even those in Tier 2!

OUWB's CTE seems to be either July 15th (based on when it seems all of our stuff is due). This makes sense from a standpoint of the school starting August 2nd. There's also a lot of us accepted to OUWB that are on WLs from other schools/have other acceptances so there may be a lot of WL movement come May 1st.

In short for those on the WL, don't lose hope! Also either way, a medical school doesn't define who you are so and everyone here worked hard to get to where they're at so take a moment to be proud of how far y'all have come :)

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance and scholarship today. Good luck everyone! Hope it goes to one of you!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone here received a full tuition scholarship? Does anyone know historically how many full tuition scholarships OUWB gives out every year?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of you!

Anyone else just get that survey email about your interest in oakland for the people on the WL?

Bittersweet moment- but I am withdrawing my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you guys

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Very bittersweet and one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I am withdrawing my acceptance here and hope that it goes to one of your lovely WL folks. This is an amazing school and so I hope my withdrawal makes one of you a very proud and happy OUWB student. ❤

• Care
Very bittersweet and one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I am withdrawing my acceptance here and hope that it goes to one of your lovely WL folks. This is an amazing school and so I hope my withdrawal makes one of you a very proud and happy OUWB student. ❤
*you

Anybody know if WL accepted students receive non-loan financial aid packages?

Hey! Just got accepted off the waitlist last night! Does anyone know if I accept the offer on the Oakland admissions portal that takes away my other acceptances? So if I accept the offer, can I still attend other schools? Thanks!!!

• Love
Hey! Just got accepted off the waitlist last night! Does anyone know if I accept the offer on the Oakland admissions portal that takes away my other acceptances? So if I accept the offer, can I still attend other schools? Thanks!!!
You can only be on waitlist in other schools. Per AMCAS, you have to chose plan to enroll by April 30th, so you’ll be fine. Commit to enroll is still far away I think.